Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone verify this?

Q1 2022 Tesla Rev: $18.75B
Q1 2022 Tesla Annual Run Rate: $75B

That's a 50% increase in revenue y-o-y if they hold it for the rest of 2022 w/ Berlin and Austin delivering 0 cars. I couldnt find projections / expectations for cars delivered out of Berlin and Austin for 2022...anyone have that?

“This is one part of my negotiations with Tesla. Tesla is not an easy negotiation. I said, ‘Elon, if you want to get end to end, get a green battery product, get a green car product, this is the place to be’,” Luhut said during a 2022 Naval Technology College National Seminar (STTAL) broadcasted online on Wednesday

Yeah there is certainly a risk of elevated conflicts and protectionism on the global food supply.

I'd tend to agree we lean way too heavily on the Fed to solve the issues of the economy, but that was the world we stepped into in the 30s and then went all in during the 70s. I think a case could be made that while they cause issues and early missteps were especially horrid... the Fed has done a solid job keeping damage to a minimum on minor recessions. They are quicker and less painful. 07-09 is the obvious outlier, but even that had a much higher floor than previous collapses.

My predictions are much more likely to be wrong than right. I've just been studying pullbacks to understand where things trigger. Right now I think we are in a critical point. This can be the bottom and has hit measures that point to a decently strong likelihood of it being the bottom. Could also be the turning point to another 7-10% leg down too.
It's totally legit to be fearful right now from both a market and human civilization perspective. We're at peak scarcity, or some were calling it "peak everything". The Fed(and all global central banks) are easing off the stimulus that carried fossil fuel production and the consumption required to sustain it. That's a big deal. And it's been building up for a century.

What people need to remember, and I shouldn't have to remind those here, is that the sustainable abundance we're moving into(effectively infinite renewables + storage) is far more robust and resilient than the scarcity dynamic(just-in-time finite resources) it's displacing. That resilience and robustitude will now become the foundation of our global economy, and in a lot of ways our human society.

I've fully reversed my thinking over the last 5-10 years and now think all of this should be assumed to end up having a broadly pleasant impact on things.

Sadly it seems that vote isn't going to happen today...
That's it... I'm out.

1653493545956.png

... of cash practically.

I’m looking forward to it. Haha

One argument I see against the high PE is that the Fed will be unwinding 9 trillion off their balance sheet. Wouldn’t this put much higher pressure on PE?

Chairman Powell was quoted as saying that the unraveling of the Balance Sheet may be equivalent to a 0.25 rate hike.
Not sure how he computes that but if that's it, then the unwinding will not be a huge drag.
I think people like to point to the unwinding because they can stoke fears without having to prove how it will impact things.
They just say it and it sounds scary.

Edit: Powell's comments:
You know, we run these models—and everyone does in this field—and make estimates of what will be, how do you measure, you know, a certain quantum of balance sheet shrinkage compared to quantitative easing? And, you know, these are very uncertain. I really can’t be any clearer. There won’t be any clearer [estimates]. You know, people estimate that, broadly, on the path we’re on—and this will be taken, probably, too seriously—but sort of ¼ percent, one rate increase over the course of a year at this pace. But I would just say, with very wide uncertainty bands—very wide. We don’t really know. There are other estimates that are much smaller than that, by the way. (bold added for emphasis)

Last edited:

“This is one part of my negotiations with Tesla. Tesla is not an easy negotiation. I said, ‘Elon, if you want to get end to end, get a green battery product, get a green car product, this is the place to be’,” Luhut said during a 2022 Naval Technology College National Seminar (STTAL) broadcasted online on Wednesday
Some of these places being offered by Indonesia seem way too remote for Tesla's purposes, considering that even Reno has much too small of a work force for GF1.

Chairman Powell was quoted as saying that the unraveling of the Balance Sheet is equivalent to a 0.25 rate hike.
Not sure how he computes that but if that's it, then the unwinding will not be a huge drag.
I think people like to point to the unwinding because they can stoke fears without having to prove how it will impact things.
And over the whole last unwinding, the market was net up to the tune of 14%.

Chairman Powell was quoted as saying that the unraveling of the Balance Sheet is equivalent to a 0.25 rate hike.
And people need to realize not everything is just a coincidence. With the unwinding of balance sheets, what do we think about fossil fuel investment and where that money would go? And as an Energy person, why are we not more concerned about the trillions and trillions in finance that will be needed to implement renewables+storage at scale?

I think these Fed funds are perfectly absorbable, and the situation was almost unavoidable economically, as we move from simply refinancing fossil operations to a hardcore and wildly(but temporarily) "expensive" technology-based energy system.

As Tesla fans, we should understand excess or shortness of liquidity will be an ongoing rollercoaster far beyond this Fed round. But the future will always improve, which again....always ends more pleasant.

An Accountant walks into a TMC Thread . . . . . .and He's Forever Grateful
In early 2019, I knew very little about Tesla. I could not have told you the difference between a Models S and a Model X and I was not even aware Tesla had launched the Model 3. That didn't stop me from swing trading TSLA which was very profitable for me in 2018.
By May 2019, my $200k investment (foolish . . I know) was worth about $110k. Almost a 50% drop.
I said to myself, "What's going on with this company?" So I did some research. And here is what I found:
- Tesla loses money on every car they sell.​
- They will run out of money and go bankrupt​
- If they don't go bankrupt, they will need multiple capital raises and the stock will be diluted​
- The competition is arriving and the story is over for Tesla​
- Their cars are poorly built and catch fire.​
- They will never reach manufacturing scale.​
- On May 21, Adam Jonas of Morgan Stanley said that worse case the stock goes to $10 ($2 post split)​
I was resigned to sell my TSLA stock and preserve my capital from going to $0 . . .
. . . ., but then, I accidentally stumbled upon TMC's Investor Thread. I had never seen anything like it.
I read and read for hours across several days. I knew the members may be biased TSLA Bulls but their thinking and opinions were well formed with experts from many fields. I lurked for weeks and weeks until the lightbulb went on: TSLA is a once in a generation investment.
I signed up as a TMC member in Aug 2019 and by year end I had increased my investment at an average share price of $54.

We're down 50% from ATH. It feels like 2019 again. I know that the macro environment is different today but Tesla's long term prospects are stronger today than when I first invested in 2019. I feel safer investing at $630 today than $54 in 2019 when Tesla still had much to prove.

To the lurker reading this post: Keep reading and maybe you will be writing this post in 3 years time. 😁
I nominate this for the “post of the year” award.