Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you are feeling down, just remember, this stupidity is just going to end up making us even more rich.

6hhcf1.jpeg

So really no news with Fed minutes. Seems everyone is constantly standing around looking for the Fed to yell .75!

Powell is buying time to see if inflation works itself out.......aka the Russia oil issue is somehow resolved.
The real difference I see is the Fed thinks the economy is strong (in fact will grow faster than they initially expected) and the market thinks we're in recession.

Other thing of note, they are already mentioning balance sheet risk so they are watching it. Even mentioning it here means that could be a course correction if they feel it is going too far.

Chairman Powell was quoted as saying that the unraveling of the Balance Sheet may be equivalent to a 0.25 rate hike.
Not sure how he computes that but if that's it, then the unwinding will not be a huge drag.
I think people like to point to the unwinding because they can stoke fears without having to prove how it will impact things.
They just say it and it sounds scary.

Edit: Powell's comments:
You know, we run these models—and everyone does in this field—and make estimates of what will be, how do you measure, you know, a certain quantum of balance sheet shrinkage compared to quantitative easing? And, you know, these are very uncertain. I really can’t be any clearer. There won’t be any clearer [estimates]. You know, people estimate that, broadly, on the path we’re on—and this will be taken, probably, too seriously—but sort of ¼ percent, one rate increase over the course of a year at this pace. But I would just say, with very wide uncertainty bands—very wide. We don’t really know. There are other estimates that are much smaller than that, by the way. (bold added for emphasis)
What a relief to know he has no idea, and nobody else knows either. 😮‍💨

The real difference I see is the Fed thinks the economy is strong (in fact will grow faster than they initially expected) and the market thinks we're in recession.
SP500 during this meeting was @ 4300. Today we sit at 3955 and people feel anything could happen. The market's been thru a lot in 3 weeks, not just TSLA.

My feel is that if things got worse from here, we might see a .25 hike mixed in. They're just trying to tread water and buy time, not crush the markets.

SP500 during this meeting was @ 4300. Today we sit at 3955 and people feel anything could happen. The market's been thru a lot in 3 weeks, not just TSLA.

My feel is that if things got worse from here, we might see a .25 hike mixed in. They're just trying to tread water and buy time, not crush the markets.
Yeah that's what I mean. Them mentioning issues then, well... they might feel they want to take a bit softer approach in June. And the 50bps rates were only supported by 'most' at the next two meetings... meaning somebody wants less and that voice might grow with how the last 3 weeks has gone.

The staggering difference is the opinion on the economy. If the Fed is right and economic data comes back to support it, the market has overcorrected already. Pretty large if.