Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realized today I might've been majorly misinterpreting European prices and if so I'll need to adjust my earnings model. As an uncultured American, I'm accustomed to seeing sales tax added after the listed price and I'm not sure I understand how the value added tax (VAT) works.

For example, in Germany (link) the Model Y Performance is listed for 63,990 € and in the details window the English-translated statement is:

Pay the vehicle price by bank transfer to become the owner of your vehicle after delivery.
Cash payment price 64,970 €
Incl. VAT of approx. 10,373 €
Processing fees of 980 €
Incl. €2,500 environmental bonus (net)

How much revenue would Tesla receive from this order? Is the VAT embedded in the 64970 € cash price? Is the environmental bonus also embedded in the listed price where the government pays 2500 to Tesla, or is it a personal tax credit?

If Tesla only gets 64970-10373 = 54597 € = $ 58.8k then the revenue on a German Perf Y is $10k less than in the US. That would be surprising to me considering the fuel price situation in Europe right now and the lack of supply of Teslas with Berlin barely making anything yet and Shanghai having been restricted so much this year.
EDIT: @saniflash beat me to it, but my reply was more in laymans terms so I'll let it stand:

In the EU the VAT part of the sticker price (10,373 EUR in your example) is payed by the customer to Tesla, but every quarter the company has to inform the government (department of Finance) of the total VAT received and spent.

Companies receive VAT when they sell goods/services (such as cars in Tesla's case) and they spend VAT when they buy goods/services (suppliers, contractors, NOT employees, that's a different tax system).

The net-VAT is owed to the government every quarter. If you spend more than you make (VAT-wise), you can receive the VAT from the government or transfer the virtual debt to the next quarter.

Long story short, the VAT that is received by Tesla can be used directly to fund the cost of the car. To guesstimate the net profit, you could say Tesla has to pay VAT on the profit margin of the vehicle.

So a 65k car with a 30% profit margin (19.5k) would consist of ~16k pure profit after ~3.5k VAT owed to the government. (assuming 21% VAT rate)

(This calculation is flawed in either direction. For starters, not all of the cost of goods sold is VAT deductible (for example employees). On the other hand Tesla will probably spend more on VAT-deductible services than just for their cars (but also R&D, expansion, etcetera). Therefore I'm assuming these cancel each other out.)

Aa a general rule, the laws in all European countries that I know of -- UK, F, E, IT, D, CH, CZ, SE, FI, DK, NO, ME, AT, SK,... -- prescribe that all prices communicated to a consumer have to be inclusive of VAT.

In your example, Tesla would receive 64,970 - 10,373 (VAT goes to the government; however because Tesla can deduct the VAT on its raw materials, the net VAT owed is likely lower than that) + 2,500 (which is a government subsidiary) + 980 = EUR 58,077
The 2500 environmental bonus doesn not go to Tesla in Germany (see explanation in my post below yours)

In the EU the VAT part of the sticker price (10,373 EUR in your example) is payed by the customer to Tesla, but every quarter the company has to inform the government (department of Finance) of the total VAT received and spent.
Bean counter note: Tesla is a monthly reporter for VAT received and spent due to turnover amount, not a quarterly reporter.

Early Thoughts on Q2 & Q3

Here are Non-GAAP EPS actual results and wall street estimates for recent and upcoming quarters:
$1.86 - Q3 2021 Actual​
$2.54 - Q4 2021 Actual​
$3.22 - Q1 2022 Actual​
$2.19 - Q2 2022 Wall Street Estimate (my preliminary estimate of $2.36 is +8% higher)​
$3.16 - Q3 2022 Wall Street Estimate (my preliminary estimate of $4.19 is +33% higher)​

My estimates are very preliminary at this point and I will update them as we get more information on Shanghai, Austin and Berlin ramps.
Although my Q2 2022 estimate currently sits higher than wall street at +8% ($2.36), I am a bit worried.
Q2 numbers have strong headwinds.
1. I assume 255k deliveries* but the actual number may come in lower​
2. Although average selling prices in the US for Models 3 & Y will be higher than Q1, Tesla is losing high priced, high margin cars in Europe for Q2.​
3. Margins will suffer due to lower production in Shanghai and Austin/Berlin ramping.​
4. There was a one time gain with Regulatory Credits in Q1 which we won't see in Q2.​

Although I have tried to properly account for these headwinds, I may still be over-shooting on the results. I would like to see wall street consensus move toward $2.00 for Q2. The good news is that Q3 is looking like a blowout.

*255K Q2 Deliveries as Follows:
140k Fremont
107k Shanghai
8k Berlin/Austin

Shanghai Q2 monthly as follows:
1.5k April
25.5k May
80.0k June

Of course I could paint a more bullish picture for Q2 but I will need to see some positive delivery news over the next few weeks for that.
Another point to make is that we may be looking at a bear trap. Shorts get excited over poor Q2 results and falsely see a negative narrative on Tesla only to get wiped out with Q3 results. Tesla is rarely drama-free . . .there won't be a dull moment.

Shanghai may production data will greatly reduce the error bars for Q2 forecasting.

The UK Model 3 inventory is now full of ex leases. Definitely this has become a thing.
Quick scan - all with Enhanced Autopilot or for older ones (Model S) c 2015 - "Autopilot with convenience features" (more ££)

These would have been about £46,000 in 2019 (from memory, after incentive). Not much depreciation (ignoring Enhanced Autopilot).... lower mileage ones even more expensive. I think Tesla will make some money compared to their predictions of post-lease values.

Cheapest

1653924914731.png

Lowest mileage
1653925511518.png

Hi JB. We had an exchange regarding the competency of Stellantis to make EVs a while back. Here is my capitulation on that conversation. A Fiat500e convertible charging at a supercharger bought for the wife. The car is great but the software REALLY sucks. Managed to get charging at 75Kw here though.
View attachment 810553
What an absolutely lovely shade of skin tone. 😳

Hi JB. We had an exchange regarding the competency of Stellantis to make EVs a while back. Here is my capitulation on that conversation. A Fiat500e convertible charging at a supercharger bought for the wife. The car is great but the software REALLY sucks. Managed to get charging at 75Kw here though.
View attachment 810553
Sadly I doubt the software will improve materially for some time. The owners around me concur with you.
Oddly, perhaps, the Peugeot e208 GT does not seem to get similar negatives on software. Those are becoming common here too.

Reactions: FEERSUMENDJIN
I realized today I might've been majorly misinterpreting European prices and if so I'll need to adjust my earnings model. As an uncultured American, I'm accustomed to seeing sales tax added after the listed price and I'm not sure I understand how the value added tax (VAT) works.

For example, in Germany (link) the Model Y Performance is listed for 63,990 € and in the details window the English-translated statement is:

Pay the vehicle price by bank transfer to become the owner of your vehicle after delivery.
Cash payment price 64,970 €
Incl. VAT of approx. 10,373 €
Processing fees of 980 €
Incl. €2,500 environmental bonus (net)

How much revenue would Tesla receive from this order? Is the VAT embedded in the 64970 € cash price? Is the environmental bonus also embedded in the listed price where the government pays 2500 to Tesla, or is it a personal tax credit?

If Tesla only gets 64970-10373 = 54597 € = $ 58.8k then the revenue on a German Perf Y is $10k less than in the US. That would be surprising to me considering the fuel price situation in Europe right now and the lack of supply of Teslas with Berlin barely making anything yet and Shanghai having been restricted so much this year.
You have gotten the answer several times already.

Would just like to point out that the VAT percentage is different in different EU countries. Also, Norway I believe has zero VAT on EVs so Norwegian sales which are a significant share of EU sales still, would have to be calculated differently than most others.

For countries that apply regular VAT you could probably go with 19 or 20% as the average. As someone pointed out though that percentage would be more correct for your purpose if applied to profit margin. Not full price.

Hmmm, whilst that post stipulates ~$200M for the leases expiring currently, he suggests that will grow:

"... a gain of up to $9.4B recognizable over the next 12 quarters"

Unless I'm missing something, that's actually an average of over $750M per quarter, no?
Without knowing if his numbers are correct I believe that number $9.4B is based on used EV prices in the US continuing being this high for the next 3 years. While not impossible I wouldn't assume that.

I don't know if he includes European leases as well (probably since I don't think Tesla gives leasing numbers for different markets) but if so I think it's safe to say that used prices in (most?) of Europe has not risen nearly as much as in the US. Someone posted getting offered $40k for a three year old $61k car. This would seem to be a reflection of that. Of course some of that price difference could also be a result of different VAT rules for new and used cars. I know some countries treat those differently.

Last edited:
Tesla emailed me today suggesting trading my 2019 Model 3 for a Y performance from Berlin. I requested a trade in offer just for fun.
  • 2019 LR AWD (pre heatpump etc)
  • Original price: 61,000 EUR
  • Offer. 40,000 EUR
Still very happy with my 3, Y is too big for my needs so no need for an upgrade. Also would lose FSD which I got for just 5000 EUR (in exchange for price drop on car before delivery).

Assuming high demand for Y performance, I guess they do that so they can make additional money at reselling the original car at a higher price. IIRC there were people in the US that got a trade in offer that was higher than original price, anyone got an idea why my offer is so much lower?
The more I think about it it seems like the 61k includes whatever VAT new sales have in Germany. Probably around 8-10k in this case. While the 40k they are now willing to pay you does not include any VAT. So the difference is more like 50k to 40k from Teslas perspective.

Also, price increases for used cars seems to be much lower in Europe than in the US.

In Europe you can pretty much kiss the value of the VAT part of the price goodbye the minute you pay for a new car. This is why, and this is only based on people I know on both continents, not on any real statistic, much fewer people in Europe upgrade to a new car every year than in the US. Unless your job that can deduct VAT pays for it.

We're now entering the promise of Battery Day. 4680 is ramping, 2 new Gigafactories ramping, and the next 2 apparently in the chute. That's a LOT of production.

As we start seeing Energy products and solutions scaling, the math becomes a lot easier for regular folks to grasp. Then the TWh scale suddenly becomes an achievable goal.

It makes sense to me that this covid reopening oil price gouging we're in is gonna crater oil & gas for 2024 onward. So I think the biggest tipping point of the transition happens once the Putin-based issues are resolved. Cheap oil fueling the steepest part of the renewables + storage S-curve.

Good times?
No worries, the fossil fuel strategists already are working the warmongering against china angle.

His company makes “secure” OS for embedded systems, Tesla uses Linux and probably pushing/requiring suppliers to adopt Linux too.

Tesla is existential threat to them, if everyone realizes they don’t need to pay big bucks for a custom OS which doesn’t really provide any advantage compared to Linux.

BTW: in Linux 5.18 Tesla provided FSD driver support to upstream kernel, meaning they opensourced the FSD drivers, probably to save maintenance on out-of-tree patching.

The Kernel Mailinglist has their own kind of humor :D

Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/23] Add support for Tesla Full Self-Driving (FSD) SoC
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 12:53:48 -0800 [thread overview]
Message-ID: <CAOesGMhpw7+5Q3MDAFQTr8-sDFgVXOE=v6h8d8pbHiZn8=[email protected]> (raw)
In-Reply-To: <20220116092325.GA30745@amd>

On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 1:23 AM Pavel Machek <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> > This patch set adds basic support for the Tesla Full Self-Driving (FSD)
> > SoC. This SoC contains three clusters of four Cortex-A72 CPUs,
> > as well as several IPs.
>
> I'm not thrilled by their naming. Intel does not produce "Intel
> Fastest in world SoC"
If you say so. :)

> , and this chip is not actually suitable for
> autonomous driving :-(.
And AMD's Infinity Fabric isn't.... infinite. Things have names.

That discussion seems off-topic for this patchset. It references a
marketing name used by the company, and as such it makes sense to be
able to cross-reference:
Full Self-Driving Computer Installations

Tesla seems to have moved away from the initial "Hardware 3" naming
scheme, so using this naming seems as good as any.

-Olof

Drew Baglino "Fireside Chat" at Stanford Energy Solutions Week. Not new, but posted only recently so far as I can tell. He doesn't say much that people here don't already know, but it's good to hear him talk for an extended period.

Makes the excuse for solar roof delays that Tesla didn't pay enough attention to all the other roofing stuff around the solar shingles that needs to be gotten right. Says the shingles are great and cheap, which seems wrong to me.

Tuesday May 3, 2022. Drew Baglino, Senior Vice President of Powertrain and Energy Engineering for Tesla, sits down for a conversation with Yi Cui, Professor of Materials Science and Engineering and Director of the Stanford Precourt Institute for Energy and Will Chueh, Associate Professor of Materials Science and Engineering and Senior Fellow at the Stanford Precourt Institute for Energy, to share his experiences and what excites him in the energy storage space.

Notes (new information denoted in orange)
Drew seems genuinely excited about where battery industry is headed

"It seems likely that Peak Oil is near now, not because we're gonna run out of oil, which didn't end up being correct, but because there's just a better alternative. That's eventually going to be true of [natural] gas too, not because we're gonna run out of gas but because we're going to decide 'Hey, maybe we should use gas for really useful things only gas can be used for instead of heating people's homes...and businesses and industrial processes.' "

NEW - Drew believes no energy storage technology has been fully leveraged yet, not only lithium ion batteries but also gravitational, compressed air, and other battery types, in part due to regulatory structures

Hundreds of TWh worth of batteries needed to electrify everything and 20 TWh total annual production needed to make transition fast enough. (As stated in my energy manifesto last week, I think we'll end up making more than this in the long run due to unprecedentedly low prices expanding the market for energy.)

Battery industry raw materials are the constraint on rate of scaling, not factories. Battery industry was previously buying the leftovers from the rest of the economy. Now we have an opportunity to design the mining and refining processes to be customized for batteries.

NEW - Academia and startups can help by researching:
  1. Better mining/refining/recycling techniques
  2. Sodium-ion batteries or other kinds of designs to hopefully be compelling for stationary storage without requiring lithium
  3. Moonshot battery designs that eliminate all use of metal in cathodes (iron, nickel, manganese) and instead uses graphite or other materials
  4. Better physics simulation tools to accelerate the rate of iteration for batteries, electrolyzers, or anode/cathode materials
Regulatory barriers, especially with mining, are putting undue burden on solving the existential problem of electrification.

NEW - A decade ago, Tesla was too pessimistic about Model S battery cell electrochemical degradation, but too optimistic about the other stuff like pack moisture sealing, battery management electronics, mechanical shock and vibration, and thermal cycling. Notably, these things "don't show up until you've been in the field for ten years" which does not bode well for lagacy auto and new EV startups.

NEWish - For Solar Roof, they had an "ivory tower" approach where they "spent a lot of time on the shingle and not enough time on the stuff around the shingle" like perimeter flashings and obstructions such as vents. The solar shingle is "awesome", "super easy to build" and "not expensive at all". Confident that these issues will be solved with time and effort.

Confirmation that battery swapping loses to supercharging because it is more complicated, slower to install, more expensive on CapEx and OpEx, less reliable and takes up more room on total infrastructure.

Comments
Drew once again demonstrates excellent skills with technical communication and public speaking. As usual, he was friendly, polite and had good body language and was actively listening to questions and giving real thoughtful answers. He can get into technical details by memory in a regular conversation without prepared remarks. Clearly Drew is not a fakeypants politician like, for example, the chief engineer at Ford (refer to Munro Live Mach-E interview).

Drew's statements about electrification of everything, hydrogen electrolysis and using gas (aka methane and propane) for irreplaceable applications other than heating adds to the evidence that SpaceX or Tesla will be working on electricity-powered hydrogen/methane factories as I predicted in these posts: Post 1 (chemical section) & Post 2.

Solar Roof will work great and make profits eventually, because solving a long list of tricky geometric and installation details is not a significant technical risk. It's mostly just a lot of work and development of software tools to speed up tile selection and layout. It's good to hear that the hard part is not the problem. Remember, they postponed most Solar Roof development work for years to go all-in on solving Production Hell.

Last edited:
Aa a general rule, the laws in all European countries that I know of -- UK, F, E, IT, D, CH, CZ, SE, FI, DK, NO, ME, AT, SK,... -- prescribe that all prices communicated to a consumer have to be inclusive of VAT.

In your example, Tesla would receive 64,970 - 10,373 (VAT goes to the government; however because Tesla can deduct the VAT on its raw materials, the net VAT owed is likely lower than that) + 2,500 (which is a government subsidiary) + 980 = EUR 58,077
So if Tesla actually only pays let's say half of the VAT and the rest is passed on from their suppliers, then in our German Y Perf example the total revenue would be

64970 - 10373 * 0.5 + 2500 + 980 = EUR 63k = USD 68k which is in line with N American pricing. If I remember correctly, Germany has the lowest Tesla prices of any major Euro/Middle East/N Africa market, so there still is a real price premium for Berlin Ys, but a few thousand USD-equivalent less than I had thought before today.

Elon will force the issue or die trying. If he dies before the tide turns, we’re screwed. Those at the top of the money/food chain will put a halt to everything he’s started and go back to what they want. Unless you can name a person who will take his place?
Drew Baglino.

Elon is doing a lot and is the public face, but the team is stacked DEEP with great people who are in some ways better suited for the Technoking role. Tesla would do very well with Drew Baglino running the show. With Elon's time split between Tesla, SpaceX et al, I'd have to think Drew is already leading much of the time in practice. Drew is one of the earliest Tesla employees, having joined in 2006 and worked alongside Elon and JB the whole time.

Those at the top of the food chain can't stop the solar cost trend, which has been going on longer that Elon has been alive, and if he dies I guarantee that the martyrdom effect will kick in and galvanize the renewable energy community for years.

View attachment 810584

The US military/NATO, NASA and FCC want Starship/Starlink capabilities, so it wouldn't be stopped. The US Department of Defense is, of course, the world's most powerful organization and thus they tend to get what they want. In this case, that's for the better.

Boring Co can't be stopped either, and Elon's barely even involved in that. Steve Davis seems to be doing just fine as CEO. Vegas Loop is already under construction and has ample local political and business support. Fort Lauderdale's first Loop is in preliminary planning and geotechnical review. Miami may be up next. These systems are in major tourist destinations and they will be so obviously amazing that more cities will want their own Loops and it'll expand nationwide and then globally.

Last edited:
More excuses for legacy. The wiring harness isn't an ICE vs. BEV issue as the headline makes it out to be. It's a "keep doing things the way we've always done" vs. continual innovation issue. The legacy OEMs can, and probably are, using the old wiring harnesses in their BEVs too (i.e. not just their ICE parts supply at risk), whereas Tesla saw a better way and implemented it.