Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This delivery date update, which shifts everything out by one month, comes about one month after the last delivery date update (May 3rd). So if nothing else, it appears that the US backlog is no longer growing, but nor has it shrunk either. Caveat being that this data is very murky, but is nevertheless pretty much the only visibility we have into Tesla's order book (other than time elapsed from ordering to delivery for customers).

I am certain that Tesla (and therefore Elon) have tremendously granular visibility into their order flow, and can likely know whether there have been any repercussions with regard to orders due to Elon's increased political visibility.
It's like Sawyer reads and copies a lot of our forums contributions. Someone just pointed this out yesterday and voila...

I also started and scaled a company, and we were fully remote. What we did was just sit on an open Google Hangout call for the normal 8 hour work day. Everyone just stayed muted unless they had something to say, and so it was very much just like working in an office with people. It worked very well.

Yes we also did this in the first 3 months of covid-19 when basically everyone was scared and wanted to work from home. It was fine, the company did not crash and burn and we managed our projects fine.

But we had way more client issues than usual because junior employees were not as forthcoming calling or messaging their line manager to ask questions as they were when sat next to them. And the new starters were a disaster. We had somebody basically just never be contactable because they were looking after their kids, another overslept every day. And I know personally every time I called someone, they would only pick up half the time, and not because they were already on a call. They were "just in the kitchen", "taking the dog out, "looking after my kids", "in the bathroom" etc.. it became exasperating and I took key teams that were growing back into the office as soon as their team members were open to the idea (April 2020).

I have all kind of productivity metrics sent to me every day, I can look at sales/revenue/proposals/emails sent and hours worked by employee for any time period. And when working from home all productivity measures dropped per employee and hours worked actually went up. I completely understand this depends on the nature of the work and wont be the same for everyone. My conclusion really is that an experienced professional who works mainly alone can work fine remotely, but those who depend on a lot of team work, and especially onboarding a lot of junior employees who you want to get good at creating solutions to unique situations need to be in the same physical location, at least this will make the process less painful

So yes I definitely agree with Elon! Get them back in the office! I am shocked they are not already back to be honest

TSLA now losing all of its over performance from last week. Was clear yesterday that MM’s were stepping in and now the stock is being dropped on light volume.

Looks like another week of underperforming for TSLA specific.
Since short weeks, especially those in the Summer, have historically been great times for bear raids, I’d find it bullish if we end the week flat(ish).

Because he’s not in on the Zoom meetings. The best he can do is guess and if he guesses wrong, he becomes my mountain man servant. Which wouldn’t be the end of the world, except he will have to scrub the toilets.
Others might not get that reference, but I of course did.
We are not amused. Used to being abused, yes. But not amused.

Regarding the WFH stance, I think keeping a firm position is needed.

Yes, I get that Tesla might lose some talents who look for a more flexible/liberal lifestyle. But as Musk has said many times, Tesla is really a union of many startups.

As a startup, one of the very key points is to be agile. Where things don't wait to get resolved. They get done right there and then. It's extremely hard for a startup team to be at the peak of its productivity to work together when they are in different parts of the office, let alone in different parts of country.

Thus, I'd rather have a team of excellent talents working at 100% at all times rather than a team of incredible talents working at 80% only during office hours.

Since short weeks, especially those in the Summer, have historically been great times for bear raids, I’d find it bullish if we end the week flat(ish).
Looks to me like a fairly neutral market for TSLA today, no real interest in buying/selling, and MM's are simply positioning for a $749.99 Friday close.

The problem is being an absolutist about it. Are all the engineers supposed to get up and move every time a factory opens. Ok GigaTexas is open now. Everyone in California you are needed in GigaTexas to see that everything is running smoothly. Time to move. Oh we are opening a new factory in Ohio. Everyone move. Having core hours is key. I worked with teammates in Argentina. We always had screens running where we could see each other and have spontaneous conversations. Sometimes when making key design decisions some people would travel. When you have flexibility with employees they have flexibility with you. Oh I am on vacation and something comes up. Boom I get online and fix it. Believe I only work when in the office well then I wont even bring my laptop with me on vacation. Give people the power to be adults.
You’re being obtuse and that which you just said was a problem - being an absolutist. Obviously, employees are given a choice of staying at one factory or moving to another or quitting. 🙄

People have always had the power to be adults. Look where that’s got us.

I am certain that Tesla (and therefore Elon) have tremendously granular visibility into their order flow, and can likely know whether there have been any repercussions with regard to orders due to Elon's increased political visibility.
I'm in the "I wish Elon would chill but I'm still very bullish" camp (and get a lot of hate for it ;) ) but given that, it would be is a long term issue if anything. Even if there were more than a handful of people who cancelled or made a different choice, that would be dwarfed by other orders.

I agree with Elon regarding work from home, knowing what I’ve witnessed people doing with it, but can already see critics loading such a hard stance in the chamber and readying it to take further shots at Tesla for the S and G components of ESG scores.

Competitors will probably even amp up their flexibility to attract talent and hammer home their S and G superiority, though I think their innovative and productive edge will suffer as a result
And it's a stupid thing to attack Tesla for.

This delivery date update, which shifts everything out by one month, comes about one month after the last delivery date update (May 3rd). So if nothing else, it appears that the US backlog is no longer growing, but nor has it shrunk either. Caveat being that this data is very murky, but is nevertheless pretty much the only visibility we have into Tesla's order book (other than time elapsed from ordering to delivery for customers).

Order backlogs will only increase to a point as there's high resistance when the wait time becomes longer. There are way more people willing to wait 1-3 months which increase order flows pushing to a 6 months wait than people willing to sign up today for a 1 year wait, pushing backlog to 1.5 years.

At the end of the day, this is a tool used to run daily lives, so the wait time becomes a gigantic barrier to entry vs anything else.

Do we know if there are any parts shortages that could be contributing to this?

It's likely that the Austin ramp was already factored into delivery expectations a month ago, isn't it? Your point is well taken though - changes to Tesla's internal production expectations (to which we aren't privy) could mean that the backlog is growing or shrinking in terms of ordered vehicles, if not time.
I'm sure it was, but ~April 23 production would likely be less than ~May 23 production for Austin. There is a point where they expect to be fully ramped, but I doubt that is in the first 18 months. Right now, we just don't have any real evidence of growing or shrinking... and even when it shrinks (and it will), how quickly and where it shrinks to is the question. A year is a pretty absurd backlog and I'd argue unhealthy longer term... but what is the right number? 2 months? 6? 8? 12?

Reactions: oldTAVguy
I'm sure it was, but ~April 23 production would likely be less than ~May 23 production for Austin. There is a point where they expect to be fully ramped, but I doubt that is in the first 18 months. Right now, we just don't have any real evidence of growing or shrinking... and even when it shrinks (and it will), how quickly and where it shrinks to is the question. A year is a pretty absurd backlog and I'd argue unhealthy longer term... but what is the right number? 2 months? 6? 8? 12?
"Two weeks" would be optimal, wouldn't it? :cool: :rolleyes:

(and by practice includes the other time periods mentioned)

Reactions: henchman24
gotta love the headline, confused minds will wonder if this is a good thing or not for the company.

I bought a Bolt in 2017 and I still have it. Last year, I got a Model Y to go with it. Obviously, the MY is vastly superior.

But the Bolt is a good car and a great value for those who can't afford a Tesla. The battery problems have scared people off. This is too bad because without the battery issues GM could have scaled up Bolt production and we'd have more EV's on the road.

gotta love the headline, confused minds will wonder if this is a good thing or not for the company.

I view it as positive for GM. I'm guessing their their battery recall campaign is now under control. And after ramping battery pack capacity to do the recall, they must be in a position to really punch out a bunch of new ones. The revised Bolt EV and new slightly bigger EUV fixed a lot of stuff that was annoying in the original. (Interior details, etc.) Its' Archilles' heel remains its 55 kW max DC fast charging for road tripping.

More precisely: Mar - Jun 2023 for base Model Y - Dec 2022 - Mar 2023 IF you splurge for the $2000 extra 20" wheels
The European wait times are much shorter. Varying from august to december for Model Y for most models. Except for blue or red Performance Model Y there is a wait time from january to march.