Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Boring Company is trying to build up Loop capacity in Austin which would help to solve this problem, especially for the young employees who want to live in the city or inner suburbs and would be commuting to the factory.
Since you mentioned Boring Company saw this yesterday from a YT channel I watch. There are some things I disagree with, but some others that right now I agree with. I am not sold yet on why cars would work better in a closed loop system then say subway trains.

Dealers are going to fight that tooth and nail... and this is why they've fought Tesla at every turn. It set a precedent that is hard to come back from.
Dealers are done. They are going to go bankrupt at a surprisingly alarming rate in the next few years. The margins on selling cars are just awful, unless you sell used ones ... and EV's are going to need less and less service, which is where dealers make the bulk of their profits. As someone who has had NOTHING but negative experiences going to dealers ... good riddance.

Once again, another example of how Tesla is re-writing the rules for the automotive industry.

BTW, won't Ford get some pushback from states that don't allow direct sales? Or will the fact they have dealers make any difference .. never mind the dealers won't be the ones actually "selling" the cars ?? Should be interesting ....

800 will likely be heavily protected as it gets closer to the area where we could see mid to late March all over again.

That said, I've said for a while that when Tesla goes, it will gamma squeeze.
And by that you mean up to and beyond 1250$? Because anything less than that is just what they stole from us. It’s not anything to be excited about until we make it over ATH in my mind

Dealers are done. They are going to go bankrupt at a surprisingly alarming rate in the next few years. The margins on selling cars are just awful, unless you sell used ones ... and EV's are going to need less and less service, which is where dealers make the bulk of their profits. As someone who has had NOTHING but negative experiences going to dealers ... good riddance.

Once again, another example of how Tesla is re-writing the rules for the automotive industry.

BTW, won't Ford get some pushback from states that don't allow direct sales? Or will the fact they have dealers make any difference .. never mind the dealers won't be the ones actually "selling" the cars ?? Should be interesting ....

Ford/GM need to make EV's that do not need servicing, oil change, what have you's.
Once that happens, Dealerships will die a slow death selling just EV's.

The states don't have any say in this because it's contracts between Ford and the dealerships. Doesn't matter if the state wants direct sales or not. This is a legal issue.

And the more desperate dealers get, the more hard stance they're going to be on this. It will actually make it harder for legacy auto to get them to cut a deal

Or an oil tanker...

... or a garbage scow. :p

767921-VKA-barge-472401.jpg

Cheers to the Longs!

The states don't have any say in this because it's contracts between Ford and the dealerships. Doesn't matter if the state wants direct sales or not. This is a legal issue.

Not sure how you can say that, given direct sales are literally illegal in some US states.... (largely thanks to dealer lobbies paying off state legislatures for decades to keep it that way)

Tesla has had to fight this for years now- and the states ABSOLUTELY have a say.

EDIT- Having read the actual link now- Ford does NOT appear to be saying they're going to direct sales at all

In fact they seem pretty clear they want to KEEP the dealer network-- but get away from variable pricing and inventory vehicles.

Farley went on to say that he sees the physical locations of dealers as a huge opportunity to push an edge over competitors, but that the current stores will have to radically evolve. Dealers can do it, he said, "but the standards are going to be brutal."

Brutal indeed-- since I'm not sure how you make up for whatever middle-man cash the dealer has to get to stay in business when you aren't letting them negotiate customers out of cash and are selling vehicles that will need far less marked up service down the line.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s a coincidence that much of the west is having negative productivity growth at the same time WFH increased dramatically.
But experts say the productivity drop wasn’t due to Americans taking more coffee breaks or phoning it in at work. The poor numbers were really a result of a 1.4% decline in Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in the first quarter.
“The key thing is productivity is actually measured by taking GDP and dividing it by hours worked. And GDP was freaking weird in the first quarter,” Heidi Shierholz, the president of the Economic Policy Institute, told Fortune. “If you dig into the GDP numbers, you actually see healthy growth, but the top-line GDP numbers are negative because of a decline in inventories and an increase in imports, which has nothing to do with workers becoming less productive.”

details about the split (proxy statement for AGM) might be a small catalyst and should surface in the next 2-3 weeks

As a reminder, the proxy might say nothing at all about the split- other than "a future split" being the reason for the additional share authorization vote.

Since the actual split doesn't require shareholder approval-- just the authorizing of more shares-- they don't need to disclose anything else in the proxy.

They might do so anyway of course, but there'd be nothing requiring them to.

details about the split (proxy statement for AGM) might be a small catalyst and should surface in the next 2-3 weeks
Hopefully a catalyst that will burble all through summer into fall when it actually happens.

Proxy statement -> Shareholder Vote (Aug) -> Actual Split (??? Sept?)

As a reminder, the proxy might say nothing at all about the split- other than "a future split" being the reason for the additional share authorization vote.

I think they will need to say *how many shares* will be authorized which will somewhat inform what the split will look like. They might authorize a lot more shares than needed, but scope will be relevant.

Tesla has been diverged from the macros all day (I'd argue since last week), and the 800 point was clear resistance from early on before the macros gained momentum.
Most of the divergence last week was from the fact that TSLA was down dramatically more than it's beta leading into May 23rd. Again, Nasdaq 5% since May 4th, TSLA down 18%. A near 4X the macros.

This week, we're back to our regularly scheduled programming. TSLA down more than 3X the macro's yesterday, barely up 2X the macro's today. In fact, so far this week, Nasdaq 2.3%, TSLA only up 1%.

I don't think people get how effective the raid has been on TSLA for a month now. If a stock goes down 3% and then up 3%, the net effect is down like .5%. TSLA has been consistently punished on macro down days, capped on macro up days. Which is why yesterday's trading was pretty disappointing. Clearly showed that those driving the stock further and further down consistently are still very much the ones driving the stock action.

This of course won't matter come July 2nd, but in the meantime, anyone here using leverage, especially on margin, should be aware the stock is still trading weak. And last week didn't change that.

I think they will need to say *how many shares* will be authorized which will somewhat inform what the split will look like. They might authorize a lot more shares than needed, but scope will be relevant.

Well, yes they have to say how many... but I think folks expect it'll be a large enough number to support multiple future splits- meaning it'll mainly be guesswork at what the FIRST split is...

Well, yes they have to say how many... but I think folks expect it'll be a large enough number to support multiple future splits- meaning it'll mainly be guesswork at what the FIRST split is...
Only thing I'm expecting from the proxy vote letter is now many shares well authorize.

I just want to know the deadline...

Reactions: UltradoomY
Since you mentioned Boring Company saw this yesterday from a YT channel I watch. There are some things I disagree with, but some others that right now I agree with. I am not sold yet on why cars would work better in a closed loop system then say subway trains.

I'll give a TL;DW recap for those that are on the fence about watching this drivel.

He and his cat see no advantage of the Loop system compared to a light rail setup like what you have at most major airports (flat floored cars with sliding side doors that go back and forth non stop).

He makes his comparison with the calculation base on Loop vehicles having 3 passengers (he doesn't know about the multiple types of vehicles already in use or the plan to have a different vehicle type that can hold more than 10 passengers).

He doesn't think the 50+ stop Vegas Loop will ever happen or if it does he doesn't think it will see much use.

Much hand waving and snark. No actual understanding of the purpose and scale that Loop will be at.

What Farley isn't saying is how Ford plans to get around the very long-term contracts they have with all of their dealerships. Sure in say 2030, Ford will have been able to let all of it's dealership contracts expire. But for the next 5 years?...............Yeah show me Farley how you're going to achieve this, don't just talk
What he is trying to say is probably..."Don't worry dealers, you will still have the ICE business....besides....We don't make enough EV's currently to make any significant profit for dealers anyways"