Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So that's an average SP increase of $265/year. Extrapolated out, assuming consistent growth over the next decade, the SP targets for June YoY could look like these:

2023: $972
2024: $1237
2025: $1502
2026: $1767
2027: $2032
2028: $2297
2029: $2562
2030: $2827

Not a prediction of course given this limited data set and this is very simplistic forecasting, but fairly reasonable assumptions given Tesla's growth plans. Plus any new revenue catalysts such as FSD or Optimus or Energy ramping faster could increase this substantially.
Well if you're using the "low" of each year, then you have to include the "high" as well ;)

So 2022 high will be $1,514 and then $265/year after that.

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed and wtlloyd
Watch out Tesla fan-bois, Joe Biden's Ford is coming. Lagacy auto's engineering is first class, they said.

Enthusiast forum Bronco6G has been documenting cases of engine failures since Bronco deliveries began; as of writing, 50 of its members have reportedly experienced the issue described in the NHTSA's documents. Some describe it as a dropped valve, a problem which usually damages the cylinder and the head, and many of the affected SUVs have received a new engine. Ford said that it's aware of the issue.

Elon was accused of sexual harassment and sexual assault
  • Bad image irrespective of credibility of allegations
  • In the unlikely event the allegations are proven true, obviously that would be very bad

Just to be clear, if you are referring to the SpaceX stewardess thing. Elon was not accused by anyone claiming he did anything to them. It was an article based on the hearsay of a 3rd party regarding something that occurred 6 years ago (declaration was from 2 years after event).
Elon and the person apparently already settled whatever it was in 2018. There will not be any lawsuit.

Gary seems to be basing this conclusion on conversations with a number of Tesla employees today. There's some additional tweets adding more context - worth a read.

To summarize that thread : Tesla hired a ton of people when people were mainly working remotely. Now Elon wants them back to work and it turns out the facilities aren't big enough for the number of people they hired. Elon *may* have interpreted that as things are too bloated.

Sounds like Tesla will be needing more office space regardless.

Actually to reply to myself...........this number might not be that off or in fact, correct.

I was just watching Rob's Analysts React video from the other day where the analyst that did the Fremont tour recently, repeated that Tesla said Fremont production capacity is 600k annually. Thats 150k per quarter. Q1's Fremont production was around 114k. When you look at Q2 2021 production rates, a 60% increase in Fremont YoY would put Q2 at about 129k.

So a 15k increase in sales so far Q2 which sounds like what I was expecting Fremont to make in order to make up for some of Shanghai. Fremont continuing that pace all throughout the quarter would give 25-30k increase in production QoQ. As I mentioned in another post, maybe Tesla was able to shift around chip supply that was set for Shanghai to Fremont so that Tesla can hit closer to max capacity of 150k a quarter.

Let's say Fremont increases P/D over Q1 by 26k, so 140k total from Fremont. Add in 15k from Berlin/Austin and we're looking at 41k. The China numbers that will come out next week will obviously tell a lot about Shanghai's production for June.
This is exactly what I said here:

Part 1 of the 5 part Trilogy! Buckle up and get your popcorn! And buy calls at least a few months out - not an advice!

View attachment 812299

Am I the only one projecting gross profit per car to rise past $20k soon towards the mid-$20s?

This is a genuine question because when I post reasons for that expectation no one voices contradictions, but on the other hand I see respectable bulls publishing their own financial models with much lower numbers. If I have a bad projection I hope someone will propose the necessary corrections to the model.

Q1 2022
Gross automotive revenue:
$16.681 B​
Of which regulatory ZEV credits:
$0.679 B​

Gross automotive profit:
$5.539 B​

Vehicle deliveries:
310,048 vehicles​

Gross profit per delivery, average:
$5.539B / 310k = $17.9k/vehicle​

Adjusted to exclude ZEV credits:
$15.7k/veh​

Historical Trend
Gross profit per delivery in previous quarters (excluding ZEV credits to capture underlying trend better):

Gross Profit per VehicleGross Margin
Q1 2021$ 10.122.0%
Q2 2021$ 12.625.8%
Q3 2021$ 14.128.8%
Q4 2021$ 14.829.2%
Q1 2022$ 15.730.0%

Average QoQ improvement in $/veh:
$1.4k​
Revenue Forecast
Since last summer, prices across the entire S3XY lineup have increased about 15-20%. Barely any of this has hit the financials as of Q1 '22. In my post quoted below, I estimate $11k per vehicle in price increases still in the backlog.

Prices might increase even more.

Positive demand factors:
  • Oil is still $120/barrel
    • No relief in sight
    • Sanctions on Russian oil exports unlikely to relax
  • Other companies, both Lagacy Auto and hotshot EV startups, have not been delivering on their grandiose EV production forecasts from a few years ago
    • Customers left with scarce supply of alternatives to Teslas
    • ICEV supply also falling
  • EV advertising is increasing
    • Other companies increasingly need to advertise their EVs to convince customers to buy
    • Remember the 2022 Super Bowl effect when Tesla orders in America doubled overnight
  • Cybertruck deliveries will attract much attention and conversations with owners
    • Flashy, silent, triangular tank hard to ignore
    • So crazy that people will want to ask
    • When people talk to Tesla owners or get offered rides, many want to buy one
  • Las Vegas Loop will introduce millions of people per year to the Tesla vehicle experience
    • 43 million annual visitors
    • Will be faster, cheaper and more convenient than taxis and rental cars for travel between major destinations
    • Demographic is much broader and more diverse than typical demographic exposed to Teslas
  • Hertz
    • Tom Brady partnership and ads likely to continue
    • Rentals will continue to give lots of people extended trials of Teslas and Hertz's fleet is expanding
  • Starship likely to hit orbital flight soon
  • Starlink adding millions of satisfied users
  • Falcon 9 continuing to launch for NASA and private customers
    • Passenger trip around the Moon scheduled for 2023
  • FSD Beta is expanding user access and improving
  • If TSLA blows up, attention and positive sentiment on the stock may spill over to vehicle orders
  • Government support
    • USA might revive federal EV subsidy
    • European political desire to speed up move from oil & gas is intensifying
    • Climate change problems becoming increasingly obvious and urgent
  • Some people are pleased with Elon buying Twitter and fighting prominent Democrats, and they are gaining interest in EVs and Tesla
  • Optimus prototype in September might be really cool and go viral on internet
  • Supercharger network keeps filling out coverage
  • Roadster and Semi hopefully will be released in 2023
    • Hardcore smackdown on gasoline sports cars
    • Hardcore smackdown on diesel tractor-trailer freight
Negative demand factors
  • Elon was accused of sexual harassment and sexual assault
    • In the unlikely event the allegations are proven true, obviously that would be very bad
  • Some people are displeased with Elon buying Twitter and fighting prominent Democrats, and they are losing interest in EVs and/or Tesla
  • Distrust and hatred of billionaires (as an entire category of people) is growing
  • Usual suspects have been ramping up FUD to 2018 levels, convincing many casual observers that Tesla supports racism, misogyny, etc, that Tesla is financially unstable, etc.
As Tesla Insurance grows and matures, it will add even more revenue per vehicle by 2024. Shifting mix away from Model 3 in favor of Y/S/X/CT will also have a big impact on revenue per vehicle, as detailed in the post quoted below.

Cost Forecast
Several concrete reasons to expect cost per vehicle, on an inflation-adjusted basis, to continue falling from today's levels:
  • 4680s and other Battery Day tech
    • 4680 cell manufacturing line
    • Cell-to-pack wiring
    • Structural pack
    • Cobalt deleted
  • Shipping + Import Tariff Savings
    • European Union has 10% tariff
    • Shipping across oceans or across North America is not cheap
  • One-piece die castings for front of Model Y bodies
  • New Berlin paint shop design
    • Probably will improve material wastage, first-pass quality & rework, and throughput
  • Better overall factory design for Berlin/Austin/Shanghai expansion
    • Costly Fremont production is being diluted
      • Retrofitted facility filled with compromises
      • California SF Bay Area location means high labor and transportation costs
When all of this is added up, I think we're looking at roughly $3-7k savings per car on S3XY models before factoring in expectations for macroeconomic effects of inflation and material costs like lithium, aluminum and nickel.

I attempt to estimate that effect in this post:

Summary
When I stack up everything that is likely to impact the unit economics for our automotive business, the math tells me that between Q1 '21 and Q1 '24, gross profit per vehicle will be about 40% higher at $25k! The optimistic scenarios come out to like $30k per car especially if FSD progress accelerates with unified vector space/single stack/Dojo training.

Vehicle deliveries will roughly triple between now and then, given 8 quarters to ramp all the new factories.

1 million deliveries/quarter * $25k earnings * 4 quarters/year = $100B annualized automotive gross profit in 2024

Not advice, but please pick at the numbers.​
Don't forget Tesla Insurance spin up as an additional profit center for a large number of cars sold and customer cost of ownership savings driving even more car sales.

Last edited:
To summarize that thread : Tesla hired a ton of people when people were mainly working remotely. Now Elon wants them back to work and it turns out the facilities aren't big enough for the number of people they hired. Elon *may* have interpreted that as things are too bloated.

If this is true makes Elon look like an idiot.

So that's an average SP increase of $265/year. Extrapolated out, assuming consistent growth over the next decade, the SP targets for June YoY could look like these:

2023: $972
2024: $1237
2025: $1502
2026: $1767
2027: $2032
2028: $2297
2029: $2562
2030: $2827

Not a prediction of course given this limited data set and this is very simplistic forecasting, but fairly reasonable assumptions given Tesla's growth plans. Plus any new revenue catalysts such as FSD or Optimus or Energy ramping faster could increase this substantially.
Ok, now do the same but use percentages. 🥳

View attachment 812299

Am I the only one projecting gross profit per car to rise past $20k soon towards the mid-$20s?

This is a genuine question because when I post reasons for that expectation no one voices contradictions, but on the other hand I see respectable bulls publishing their own financial models with much lower numbers. If I have a bad projection I hope someone will propose the necessary corrections to the model.

Q1 2022
Gross automotive revenue:
$16.681 B​
Of which regulatory ZEV credits:
$0.679 B​

Gross automotive profit:
$5.539 B​

Vehicle deliveries:
310,048 vehicles​

Gross profit per delivery, average:
$5.539B / 310k = $17.9k/vehicle​

Adjusted to exclude ZEV credits:
$15.7k/veh​

Historical Trend
Gross profit per delivery in previous quarters (excluding ZEV credits to capture underlying trend better):

Q1 2021$ 10.122.0%
Q2 2021$ 12.625.8%
Q3 2021$ 14.128.8%
Q4 2021$ 14.829.2%
Q1 2022$ 15.730.0%

Average QoQ improvement in $/veh:
$1.4k​
Revenue Forecast
Since last summer, prices across the entire S3XY lineup have increased about 15-20%. Barely any of this has hit the financials as of Q1 '22. In my post quoted below, I estimate $11k per vehicle in price increases still in the backlog.

Prices might increase even more.

Positive demand factors:
  • Oil is still $120/barrel
    • No relief in sight
    • Sanctions on Russian oil exports unlikely to relax
  • Other companies, both Lagacy Auto and hotshot EV startups, have not been delivering on their grandiose EV production forecasts from a few years ago
    • Customers left with scarce supply of alternatives to Teslas
    • ICEV supply also falling
  • EV advertising is increasing
    • Other companies increasingly need to advertise their EVs to convince customers to buy
    • Remember the 2022 Super Bowl effect when Tesla orders in America doubled overnight
  • Cybertruck deliveries will attract much attention and conversations with owners
    • Flashy, silent, triangular tank hard to ignore
    • So crazy that people will want to ask
    • When people talk to Tesla owners or get offered rides, many want to buy one
  • Las Vegas Loop will introduce millions of people per year to the Tesla vehicle experience
    • 43 million annual visitors
    • Will be faster, cheaper and more convenient than taxis and rental cars for travel between major destinations
    • Demographic is much broader and more diverse than typical demographic exposed to Teslas
  • Hertz
    • Tom Brady partnership and ads likely to continue
    • Rentals will continue to give lots of people extended trials of Teslas and Hertz's fleet is expanding
  • Starship likely to hit orbital flight soon
  • Starlink adding millions of satisfied users
  • Falcon 9 continuing to launch for NASA and private customers
    • Passenger trip around the Moon scheduled for 2023
  • FSD Beta is expanding user access and improving
  • If TSLA blows up, attention and positive sentiment on the stock may spill over to vehicle orders
  • Government support
    • USA might revive federal EV subsidy
    • European political desire to speed up move from oil & gas is intensifying
    • Climate change problems becoming increasingly obvious and urgent
  • Some people are pleased with Elon buying Twitter and fighting prominent Democrats, and they are gaining interest in EVs and Tesla
  • Optimus prototype in September might be really cool and go viral on internet
  • Supercharger network keeps filling out coverage
  • Roadster and Semi hopefully will be released in 2023
    • Hardcore smackdown on gasoline sports cars
    • Hardcore smackdown on diesel tractor-trailer freight
Negative demand factors
  • Elon was accused of sexual harassment and sexual assault
  • Some people are displeased with Elon buying Twitter and fighting prominent Democrats, and they are losing interest in EVs and/or Tesla
  • Distrust and hatred of billionaires (as an entire category of people) is growing
  • Usual suspects have been ramping up FUD to 2018 levels, convincing many casual observers that Tesla supports racism, misogyny, etc, that Tesla is financially unstable, etc.
As Tesla Insurance grows and matures, it will add even more revenue per vehicle by 2024. Shifting mix away from Model 3 in favor of Y/S/X/CT will also have a big impact on revenue per vehicle, as detailed in the post quoted below.

Cost Forecast
Several concrete reasons to expect cost per vehicle, on an inflation-adjusted basis, to continue falling from today's levels:
  • 4680s and other Battery Day tech
    • 4680 cell manufacturing line
    • Cell-to-pack wiring
    • Structural pack
    • Cobalt deleted
  • Shipping + Import Tariff Savings
    • European Union has 10% tariff
    • Shipping across oceans or across North America is not cheap
  • One-piece die castings for front of Model Y bodies
  • New Berlin paint shop design
    • Probably will improve material wastage, first-pass quality & rework, and throughput
  • Better overall factory design for Berlin/Austin/Shanghai expansion
    • Costly Fremont production is being diluted
      • Retrofitted facility filled with compromises
      • California SF Bay Area location means high labor and transportation costs
When all of this is added up, I think we're looking at roughly $3-7k savings per car on S3XY models before factoring in expectations for macroeconomic effects of inflation and material costs like lithium, aluminum and nickel.

I attempt to estimate that effect in this post:

Summary
When I stack up everything that is likely to impact the unit economics for our automotive business, the math tells me that between Q1 '21 and Q1 '24, gross profit per vehicle will be about 40% higher at $25k! The optimistic scenarios come out to like $30k per car especially if FSD progress accelerates with unified vector space/single stack/Dojo training.

Vehicle deliveries will roughly triple between now and then, given 8 quarters to ramp all the new factories.

1 million deliveries/quarter * $25k earnings * 4 quarters/year = $100B annualized automotive gross profit in 2024

Not advice, but please pick at the numbers.​
My numbers aren't as high, but I'm assuming that we need to hit macro bumps for the next few years and will slow growth a bit, so I'm just taking the average increase in $/car and low and behold I get an even bigger number!

I do feel that we really need to see 4680s in customer hands before the $/car figure really starts going parabolic (2nd shift at Berlin is sweet though) as well as FSD being able to make left turns with ease (c'mon unified vector space!)

Q1 2021 (actual)$10.10
Q2 2021 (actual)$12.60
Q3 2021 (actual)$14.10
Q4 2021 (actual)$14.80
Q1 2022 (actual)$15.70
Q2 2022$17.10
Q3 2022$18.50
Q4 2022$19.90
Q1 2023$21.30
Q2 2023$22.70
Q3 2023$24.10
Q4 2023$25.50
Q1 2024$26.90
Q2 2024$28.30
Q3 2024$29.70
Q4 2024$31.10

Oil & Natural Gas Not Needed for Chemicals; Solar will Dominate

In my essay on why energy consumption is about to explode in the coming decades, primary chemical production was listed as one of the main drivers of the growth. We can make methane, hydrogen, gasoline, diesel, naphtha, paraffin, methanol, and much more from atmospheric CO2, water and sunshine.

This is not some future research project that is optimistic speculation on a brand new technology. In World War II, when the Nazis were running low on oil supplies due to Germany's unfortunate poverty of domestic reserves, they resorted to substituting oil with domestically-abundant coal. How? By gasifying coal into syngas and then converting the syngas to liquid hydrocarbons with the Fischer-Tropsch process. The process had been invented two decades earlier in 1926 by Franz Fischer and Hans Tropsch in their research as chemistry professors at a university in Germany. Decades later, South Africa resorted to using this process because of harsh trade embargoes from countries that disapproved of Apartheid which restricted their oil supply. Many gas-to-liquids (GtL) plants exist today for converting methane from natural gas into liquids. Even Shell and Chevron have some of these plants.

The science and basic technology is understood. The problem has always been economic competitiveness with oil and with alternative uses for natural gas. A 2017 study published in the academic journal Energy Economics by a team of MIT researchers calculated that GtL economics could work out if the gas-to-oil price ratio fell below a certain threshold. The authors were pessimistic about the future of the technology if using natural gas, but I think they weren't accounting for the advent of cheap sustainable methane gas that could one day pass that price threshold and which may receive carbon sequestration subsidies.

So, if we accept the premise that ultra-cheap solar around 2030 will make synthetic, sustainable methane sourced from atomspheric CO2 cheaper than methane sourced from natural gas, we should expect increased usage of synthetic methane for production of liquid hydrocarbons. If the price falls far enough, it would eventually be cheaper than sourcing from oil. In a commodity market such as the chemicals industry, the lowest-cost production method always wins in the long run because customers just buy from the lowest bidder.

The implications for Tesla Energy total addressable market are staggering if you do the math on how much solar energy would be required for H2 and CH4 production as the feedstocks for this process, even under thermodynamically ideal reaction efficiency. And then the plot thickens with SpaceX clearly signaling that they will go all out on minimizing the cost of making sustainable rocket propellant from atmospheric CO2 as soon as they achieve full and rapid reusability for Starship/Superheavy, which translates to SpaceX making huge amounts of H2 and CH4 in the sunshine in southern Texas. Their goal is to make life multiplanetary and increase the probability that the light of consciousness is not extinguished, which means in part helping civilization on Earth survive, which means solving environmental sustainability. To this end, Elon Musk has offered a $100M prize for carbon sequestration. Hmm...

1654299026049.png

(From Wikipedia)

Last edited:

This looks like one more "we are closing all the sales locations" from 2019. Next day (?) they took it back.

BTW, Elon does think the Opex is bloated.

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but it appears that Chevy is advertising the next Bolt EV and EUV for under 30K:

OMG finally I will have a f’in break. 55 new consults today. Worked at the office from 8AM to 7PM. May FSD save all the frigging patients from whatever they are doing on the road. I finish work, enter my car and what do I see? The green graph of yesterday with a big -9% on the top of it. I thought WW3 had just started while Inwas busy at work treating Non-FSD Non-Tesla drivers

Attachments

• 693EDCD2-094D-431F-8F08-B60E27F766D3.png
    693EDCD2-094D-431F-8F08-B60E27F766D3.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 73
Then I'd repeatedly talk about how POTUS lied about who is number one and this is why.

Not talk about being "anti-woke" or how "left has gone too far" or how "I'll not vote for you".

Elon has as big a megaphone as POTUS, he can bring to attention anything he wants and that question will be asked in the press briefings. He doesn't have to show he is feeling hurt and throw a tantrum.

ps : Another big thing Elon should talk about how the auto unions are anti-EV.

Arguably bigger. Elon has 96M followers on Twitter, Biden 34M. And no one thinks Elon's brain turned to oatmeal a decade ago; he has a whole lot more credibility.

There is one thing I have learned about Elon: ALWAYS TAKE HIM AT HIS WORD.

There is no ulterior motive. There is no secret agenda. If Elon says they are overstaffed in many areas then that's exactly what he thinks and that is exactly why he is taking action.
LOL! How's he done on these, for example?

Working from home has allowed me to lose money trading Tesla 😕. But gosh I love working from home.

Well Elon screwed me over again. We just got an email saying that they are expecting us to go back into the office :mad:. Elon please pump the stock so I don't have to go back lol.

I bet on Monday I am going to get an email stating that I am getting laid off..... at least I will not have to go back to the office. Elon works on mysterious ways 😅 .

Um, no. I've been a self-made multi-millionaire for over two decades. My political self-identity didn't change significantly until Mary Barra led GM to greatness by becoming the leader in EV's and my political transformation did not complete until the most recent despicable remarks regarding the moon mission. It has nothing to do with money and everything to do with not being able to stomach being identified with what I'm seeing.
But America faces difficult challenges, and these reasons you cite are so insignificant and inconsequential.

Reactions: Skryll
My numbers aren't as high, but I'm assuming that we need to hit macro bumps for the next few years and will slow growth a bit, so I'm just taking the average increase in $/car and low and behold I get an even bigger number!
Yeah linear extrapolation of the gross profit trend gets crazy with the rate it’s been going at. $1.4k improvement per quarter is amazing.

I do feel that we really need to see 4680s in customer hands before the $/car figure really starts going parabolic (2nd shift at Berlin is sweet though) as well as FSD being able to make left turns with ease (c'mon unified vector space!)
I agree 4680s are crucial to the unit economics as well as delivery volume, and by extension crucial for the timeline for getting to the $100B auto gross profit milestone.

FSD will be a huge boost if it at least can handle suburban and rural driving generally without intervention or stress. So much margin potential. FSD Beta looks pretty good on well-marked suburban and rural roads, and it should get especially good when unified vector space improves path planning.

LOL! How's he done on these, for example?

I honestly have trouble imagining what a sad life the person who made that website must live.

Furiously scribbling down every idea Elon ever had that he didn't follow through with, or every over-optimistic estimate he ever made, in a desperate attempt to make one of the most successful businessmen in a generation out to be a failure.