Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

but . . . but . . . but . . I was told the salaried headcount cut was due to weakening demand.

1654351144004.png

Wind and solar in the US now have an LCOE below the fuel cost for natural gas.

View attachment 812525

Thermal plants’ efficiencies are measured in heat rate, which is the amount of btus it takes to produce one KWh. There are 3412 btus in one KWh, so if you divide that by the heat rate you find thermodynamic efficiency.

Gas turbines are basically jet engines attached to a generator. These generally have heat rates in the 10,000 range (~34% efficient). They are used to balance the grid because they spool up fast. They run off of NG or oil.

Combined cycles take the above and attach a steam generator to the exhaust of the turbine, and can be crazy efficient with heat rates under 6000.

Steam power has heat rates from 8500 to 11000 depending on the pressure. The higher efficiency numbers are basically using supercritical fluid water, and run on insane pressures. Nuclear plants are usually 10,000+ because the fuel cladding can’t handle that.

Now, if you look at NG prices, they are usually prices in dollars per million BTU, with the above knowledge you can calculate fuel costs. For example, a NG CCGT plant would need 6000 x 1000 BTUs to make 1 MWh of electricity (MWH is 1000 KWh). 6m btu of NG at current price of ~$8/mmbtu is $48 per MWh, which is above the total levelized costs in the graphs above!

There are a lot of other costs that go in to energy than just the fuel too.

Great info, thank you.

I would put on * on this, however. The cost comparison should really include battery storage for the wind/solar. Peaker plants by design are as you say to spool up quickly. A proper apples to apples would include something that has battery storage that could spool up rapidly as well (in this case much more rapidly than gas peakers, but that's another discussion entirely).

They clearly got an education on this trip in a non-Tesla.

-Trying to top off to 100% in the beginning of the trip.
-Walking 30 minutes from the charger to restaurants in unsafe areas.
-Stopping at dealerships to charge.
-Rain and wind causing loss of range and an emergency level 2 charge for 3 hours.
-Turning off all accessories including the low setting on the wipers to save juice.
-Uncertainty of the charger working based on reports on plug share.
-Chargers not available 24/7.

FYI. My wife and I just finished an 11 day 2200 mile road trip in our Tesla to 3 destinations. Probably my only minor mistake was not staying only in hotels with chargers. There were 3-4 days where we did not stay in a hotel with a charger. Probably cost us 1 hour of extra time at a supercharger total to charge the car for driving around and in the morning when we left the hotel with no charger. The rest of the trip was really non-eventful, 7-8 hour legs of driving including 1-2 superchargers stops with a bite to eat.
Don't do WSJ, could someone give some details. (makes and models).

Could this be due to macros? isn't every other fund seeing increased outflows because people are in general pulling out of the market.

Media in general makes some tenuous cause & effect misdirection just to advance their bias as facts. Like stating $TSLA crashed because Elon wants to buy Twitter. Only true to a small extent, but we know much of the crash is due to macros.

Fremont Backlog Grows 7% . . . . . . Despite Huge Increase in Production
Adding some context to Troy's chart:

Backlog growth of 4.69 mths to 4.75 mths is more than 1.2% growth that simple math would imply
- Troy has production rate of 134k per qtr in Q2 . . higher than Production rate in Q1 (126k); thus indicating a 7% increase in backlog.

Computed as follows::
126k per qtr with 4.69 months = backlog of 197k vehicles​
133k per qtr with 4.75 months = backlog of 211k vehicles​
That a 7.1% increase in less than 3 months​

1654351824588.png

Listen, I had a dream, and everything became clear. Don't worry about the current volatility. This is what is going to happen:

June: Stock is volatile and drops back into mid 650's on news that Elon doesn't brush his teeth in the morning. @cwerdna finds a webpage that points out all of Musk's hygiene flaws

July: Delivery numbers surprise to the upside leading to share price into $900s, but earnings take a bit of hit as some 1 time costs are added to this Q and 4680 ramp is not clear. Stock ends up back in low $700s. @StarFoxisDown! is not amused. Taylor Ogan enjoys the momentary pleasure of the idea that 4680 production is still low, and takes a sip of wine in his office, alone at night, while realizing his investment fund has less money in it than many TMC posters.

August: The market corrects the overreaction to Q2 earnings as they realized production is ramping up at every site and Q3 will be huge. Voter approval of share split finishes. CPI data shows signficant decline in inflation Tesla balloons to over $1000 on top of a recovering Nasdaq. @StealthP3D posts some fishing story analogy to let you know he is a GOAT investor and well endowed.

September: Tesla AI day is impressive to TMCers, but as usual the market doesn't understand and Tesla dips back to $900. @heltok and @Discoducky write long posts on the amazing AI software and hardware Tesla is doing and we all nod our heads, but really wonder "when $2000?"

October: Amazing production and deliveries report. Then the stock split is announced and happens mid month before earnings. Stock begins climbing past $1100 then gamma squeeze happens. After amazing earnings report including positive 4680 ramping, stock reaches $1500. @juanmedina can finally retire. @BornToFly buys some Russian oligarch's yacht. Many threads about buying mountains and island are revived.

November: Stock corrects down to $1100 from gamma squeeze. TSLAQ gloats on Twitter on how much money they made because they magically shorted at the top and not other time before that. @Prunesquallor and @OrthoSurg cope by telling us how they road a bicycle for 5 hours. Elon Musk likes a tweet from Rand Paul as stock tips under $1100. @Pezpunk equates him to some murderous dictator.

December: FSD Beta is getting pretty good and released to all accessible customers. Market realizes the margin benefits and pushes stock back above $1300. @Gigapress convinces @KarenRei and @FactChecking to come back and they write a post how Tesla will create an infinite supply of all materials from solar + battery. @jbcarioca talks about the time he was an epidemiologist / accountant / James Bond and how all of lagacy auto is still living like it's the 1970s and done for.

January 2023: Another amazing P&D report, annualized production over 2 million cars / year. Cybertruck production commencing, battery supply limitations easing and Powerpack supply ramping. Everything is looking rosy. stock climbs up to $1800 after earnings report. Money is dripping out of TMCers. @Krugerrand builds an entire house for cats. @ZeApelido finally buys a house. The end.

but . . . but . . . but . . I was told the salaried headcount cut was due to weakening demand.

View attachment 812535

If Elon had simply said Tesla was reducing salaried employee headcount to improve margins and reduce waste the stock might have gone up. But he indicated the motivation was his “super bad feeling “ about the economy. This sounds like he worries that future orders may decrease due to a strong recession. The market reaction to this apparent change in CEO outlook is not surprising.

I think Elon is wrong about the state of the global economy and I hope that Tesla continuing to churn out regular, strong profits in line with previous guidance will return confidence in the stock. Hopefully the tone of the next quarterly earnings call will be confident and positive.

Elon has been thru so many near death experiences between space x and tesla,
That at the slightest feel of something seriously bad, such as a recession
he chooses to act rather than react.

He reduced outstanding long term debt to practically nothing,
Thus avoiding the possibility of bankruptcy, and now he is cutting non manufacturing
jobs to reduce operating expenses.

fundamentally positive actions to insure and secure survival if we
enter a severe and protracted recession.

If Elon had simply said Tesla was reducing salaried employee headcount to improve margins and reduce waste the stock might have gone up. But he indicated the motivation was his “super bad feeling “ about the economy. This sounds like he worries that future orders may decrease due to a strong recession. The market reaction to this apparent change in CEO outlook is not surprising.

I think Elon is wrong about the state of the global economy and I hope that Tesla continuing to churn out regular, strong profits in line with previous guidance will return confidence in the stock. Hopefully the tone of the next quarterly earnings call will be confident and positive.
And yet………..we still haven’t seen that email.

Where’s the email Reuters?

..and yet Musk hasn't denied it. If he was quoted incorrectly or if they have been made up quotes, I am sure you would have seen Musk's response one way or the other.
I don’t know how anyone gets around the fact that Reuters had no issue showing the emails in their entirety earlier in the week, but refuses to show this email.

It’s the weekend so here’s the promised review of my Hertz rental experience. The Model Y had fewer than 600 miles on it. The keycard is in a largeish plastic case tucked under the sunvisor when you pickup the car. Although the screen choices are set to “Lock on walkaway”, the car only locks by holding the keycard next to the B pillar. This helps first time renters from leaving the key in the car. The car performs lane keeping and following safely but will run stop signs and stop lights. Overall it was a good experience, I felt safe and in control which I don’t anymore driving non-Teslas. I will certainly try to only rent Teslas from now on.

Listen, I had a dream, and everything became clear. Don't worry about the current volatility. This is what is going to happen:

June: Stock is volatile and drops back into mid 650's on news that Elon doesn't brush his teeth in the morning. @cwerdna finds a webpage that points out all of Musk's hygiene flaws

July: Delivery numbers surprise to the upside leading to share price into $900s, but earnings take a bit of hit as some 1 time costs are added to this Q and 4680 ramp is not clear. Stock ends up back in low $700s. @StarFoxisDown! is not amused. Taylor Ogan enjoys the momentary pleasure of the idea that 4680 production is still low, and takes a sip of wine in his office, alone at night, while realizing his investment fund has less money in it than many TMC posters.

August: The market corrects the overreaction to Q2 earnings as they realized production is ramping up at every site and Q3 will be huge. Voter approval of share split finishes. CPI data shows signficant decline in inflation Tesla balloons to over $1000 on top of a recovering Nasdaq. @StealthP3D posts some fishing story analogy to let you know he is a GOAT investor and well endowed.

September: Tesla AI day is impressive to TMCers, but as usual the market doesn't understand and Tesla dips back to $900. @heltok and @Discoducky write long posts on the amazing AI software and hardware Tesla is doing and we all nod our heads, but really wonder "when $2000?"

October: Amazing production and deliveries report. Then the stock split is announced and happens mid month before earnings. Stock begins climbing past $1100 then gamma squeeze happens. After amazing earnings report including positive 4680 ramping, stock reaches $1500. @juanmedina can finally retire. @BornToFly buys some Russian oligarch's yacht. Many threads about buying mountains and island are revived.

November: Stock corrects down to $1100 from gamma squeeze. TSLAQ gloats on Twitter on how much money they made because they magically shorted at the top and not other time before that. @Prunesquallor and @OrthoSurg cope by telling us how they road a bicycle for 5 hours. Elon Musk likes a tweet from Rand Paul as stock tips under $1100. @Pezpunk equates him to some murderous dictator.

December: FSD Beta is getting pretty good and released to all accessible customers. Market realizes the margin benefits and pushes stock back above $1300. @Gigapress convinces @KarenRei and @FactChecking to come back and they write a post how Tesla will create an infinite supply of all materials from solar + battery. @jbcarioca talks about the time he was an epidemiologist / accountant / James Bond and how all of lagacy auto is still living like it's the 1970s and done for.

January 2023: Another amazing P&D report, annualized production over 2 million cars / year. Cybertruck production commencing, battery supply limitations easing and Powerpack supply ramping. Everything is looking rosy. stock climbs up to $1800 after earnings report. Money is dripping out of TMCers. @Krugerrand builds an entire house for cats. @ZeApelido finally buys a house. The end.

Think you could dream up that gamma squeeze happening in September rather than October? I've got some Leaps expiring in Sep. :)

They clearly got an education on this trip in a non-Tesla.

-Trying to top off to 100% in the beginning of the trip.
-Walking 30 minutes from the charger to restaurants in unsafe areas.
-Stopping at dealerships to charge.
-Rain and wind causing loss of range and an emergency level 2 charge for 3 hours.
-Turning off all accessories including the low setting on the wipers to save juice.
-Uncertainty of the charger working based on reports on plug share.
-Chargers not available 24/7.

FYI. My wife and I just finished an 11 day 2200 mile road trip in our Tesla to 3 destinations. Probably my only minor mistake was not staying only in hotels with chargers. There were 3-4 days where we did not stay in a hotel with a charger. Probably cost us 1 hour of extra time at a supercharger total to charge the car for driving around and in the morning when we left the hotel with no charger. The rest of the trip was really non-eventful, 7-8 hour legs of driving including 1-2 superchargers stops with a bite to eat.
When reading that piece I was thinking how much easier it would have been for them if Tesla already allowed Supercharger use by non-Tesla in US. I think nobody really understands how quickly the adoption of EV's can be when buyers ahem access to widespread reliable charging. Obviously that can cause inconvenience for Tesla drivers, but very, vary rapid network buildout can mitigate that issue.Then, Tesla actually can make money doing this. Opportunities abound! That, coincidently will help sell more Teslas too.

I honestly have trouble imagining what a sad life the person who made that website must live.

Furiously scribbling down every idea Elon ever had that he didn't follow through with, or every over-optimistic estimate he ever made, in a desperate attempt to make one of the most successful businessmen in a generation out to be a failure.

What a vapid site. It's actually chock full of stuff he was just slightly late with or never even gave a timeframe for.

This example shows that Elon was a measly two quarters early in his prediction that Tesla would be profitable in every quarter going forward. That the site has a running clock for how much time has elapsed since he made that prediction shortly before they had two negative quarters is stupid beyond belief. Yes, 1,137 days since his timing was slightly off. But he's been right for 957 of those days and as the years go by that counter will mostly indicate just how right he was.

It's also got a running clock for how long ago he said he'd make Teslaquila, which of course he did.

This one is timely given @juanmedina posted this today.

@cwerdna actually had to cherry pick to find some on that site that aren't ridiculous (yet).

...September: Tesla AI day is impressive to TMCers, but as usual the market doesn't understand and Tesla dips back to $900. @heltok and @Discoducky write long posts on the amazing AI software and hardware Tesla is doing and we all nod our heads, but really wonder "wen $2000?"
Great post! :cool:

... but you misspelled "wen" (FTFY) ;)

... did get "lagacy" right though, so you have that going for you. 👍

Last edited:
..and yet Musk hasn't denied it. If he was quoted incorrectly or if they have been made up quotes, I am sure you would have seen Musk's response one way or the other.

It is common corporate policy not to comment on rumors. If you comment on one rumor then you must comment on all rumors because silence would insinuate the rumor is true.

I know that Musk has often tweeted to correct things but I believe this has usually been done to correct a misinterpretation of an earlier tweet.
In this case: the "super bad feeling" did not come from a Musk tweet. At this point, it's only a rumor.

Or, maybe all he was doing was just trying to get a vague reference to the 40th birthday of a Superbad movie character into the Twitterverse. 😄

(as was mentioned by @dww12 earlier)

This is the greatest post ever written in this thread. Might as well close the thread now.