Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forward Observing

Long story ~ got a nail in drivers side rear of X. Lost lunch at Costco buying four new treads. They would not realign the car. Contacted Tesla service for alignment. Had an appointment right away. Drove to Fife, Washington this morning instead of Seattle, Washington. I assumed since it was Fife, I had assumed it was some outfit contracted to do the alignment. To my total amazement, this was a ground up new Tesla delivery and service location. Even the toilets were new, and flushable. I had to ask when they opened ~ Monday 30May2022. I have been accustomed to grease monkey pits for fossil fuel vehicles forever (Early sixties). Not one pit anywhere! There were roughly fifteen car lifts. The next bay over will be where Xena can get a SPA day. Though, we might stay local.

I think today’s stock rise was solid, based on my pleasurable alignment experience. Yes, my wheels are suffering from some rash.

Cheers
Flushable toilets, eh? Bullish!

Eew, what's with everything in bold font??

The accounting on this is a bit of a wild card. Tesla will have to use some judgment as to whether they can recognize revenue with the expanded release of FSD Beta 10.12.2.

In April 2020, Tesla recognized $48m in revenue when Traffic and Stop Sign Control was released. Note that this feature is still considered Beta (see yellow highlight below) and yet Tesla was able to recognize $48m when released.

Today, when Tesla sells FSD, they only recognize about 60% as revenue and defer 40% until FSD is fully delivered. I believe that Auto Steer on City Streets is the final component to FSD and when released would allow Tesla to recognize the final 40% to revenue.

With Auto Steer on City Streets released to 100k vehicles, we could see about $240m released to revenue generating an additional $0.20 to Q2 EPS.
My number is a VERY ROUGH ESTIMATE and is computed as follows:

(# Vehicles X FSD Avg Price X Remaining Unrecognized FSD Revenue %)
. 100,000 X $6,000 X 40% = $240m

I may be low on the avg price of FSD at $6,000 but FSD had a high take rate when pricing was $4k to $6k. Pricing today is $12k.
Perhaps some of the Tesla Forecasters on Twitter & Youtube will cover this topic with better data than I have.
Again, I want to stress that the accounting on this is not certain. Tesla may decide Revenue Recognition is not warranted.

View attachment 812896
I'm doubtful Tesla would recogize revenue related to a limited population release that is revocable based on driver's continued safety score. Else, they would need to record impairment on disablement.
Much cleaner and easier to wait for wide general release. They already have the cash, so it's 'only' an accounting income bump.

For many years, soft costs have been about half the cost structure, with hardware being the other half. Also, this ratio has held more or less constant over time, meaning that costs have been improving across the whole business model for solar.

The actual solar panel module costs only about 30-40% of the project cost for utility-scale solar. The other hardware is for structural and electrical components.

Indirectly, for the overall cost structure, transmission and grid administration costs now are larger than the levelized cost of the solar PV farms. Grid costs are usually around $30/MWh on average compared to many solar contracts in the USA now bidding as low as $20-25/MWh for wholesale power supply. Who knows how long the grid architecture as we know it can remain economically competitive against local microgrids.

As PV modules improve in efficiency and longevity, the solar hardware cost per MWh obviously falls, but costs also fall for the other accessory hardware, for the land and for labor because fewer panels need to be installed per MWh of supply over the lifetime of the project.

Here's cost breakdown data from a US National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) research report from 2020:

View attachment 812630
Yes yes. I know all that. The problem is the "for many years" bit, both in these graphs and in the previous Lazards ones from ZachF (post #344,669 - the link will take one there despite appearances ....),

which (I think) showed a recent 8% CAGR that raised my eyebrow. It looked to my eyes as if they'd gotten the decimal point in the wrong place and 0.8% CAGR was more likely. Indeed looking at these graphs of yours the 8% again looks doubtful, 1/101 is veeeery close to 1% which is basically flatlined within the noise. And I see periodic price increases in some markets from time to time as well.

Remember the soft costs (like the poor) are always with us.

Onshore wind (using the Lazards numbers) also has the same issues, but ways have been found to address that. Onshore turbines were once maxed at at 3MW and 120m dia due to shipping (road/rail transport) constraints, primarily the need to fit underneath standard road bridges and round roadway bends. But now 160m dia and 6MW are becoming onshore market norms for leading developers and manufacturers so the cost decline curve has freshened up (ways were found to break up the lumps into modules that do fit, then get bolted back together at the erection site). Offshore is still driving ahead, 14-16MW is the current trending size and 20MW are in the frame, and the shift from fixed foundations to floating foundations will further change the paradigm.

If we are in 0.8% or 1% or similar CAGR territory with solar PV then I think we can throw away any ideas of hopium that are predicated on the basis of geting an order of magntitude improvement in the cost base for solar PV. For wind I can still see the cost decline curve working OK, and it is in good shape for batteries. But for PV the data is very flat in my opinion. That means that once we add cost of intermittency back in to the renewables solution, then the renewables energy price scenarios we are facing for the next 20-30 years (i.e. the duration of the energy transition we are now within) are going to be the equivalent of an oil price of $40-$80/bbl. So renewables will be not significantly cheaper than oil has been in the last few years (OK, not right now at $110). So if a project won't fly at $40-80/bbl price-equivalent then don't expect a magic wand to come along and make it goodly cheaper, because the evidence is of a flat line on the price/cost curve.

Data driven, that's what I am. Because I have over 30-years of scars in the energy sector.

🤔 Hmmm. Wondering if expanding FSD Autosteer on City Streets to 100k cars will release a portion of the Deferred FSD Revenue to Q2 Earnings?

AFAIK they have never recognized revenue for the FSDBeta program despite having sent it to tens of thousands of cars previously.... perhaps in part because it can be taken away completely for bad behavior.

I wouldn't expect them to recognize anything for city streets until it goes to wide release, at least region-wide (ie they might recognize in NA when it's wide in NA despite not being wide in EU or AP or something).

The other tricky part is they ought be able to recognize 100% of remaining for anyone who bought after ~march 2019 (since city streets is the last undelivered promised feature) but they'd still have to leave deferred for earlier buyers since they still owe them quite a bit more functionality....on the bright side, at this point the vast majority of the deferred rev has to be the newer buyers (who all paid much higher prices for it too)

Do you guess think restructuring cost due to layoffs will go on q2 or q3? I would say it has to take at least a month to evaluate who to layoff which their severance pay will fall under q3 right?

Rob thinks it'll go on q2.

To record severance in Q2, communications to those impacted need to happen in Q2.
From memory (have not researched this), severance can only be recorded when:

1. Management has approved a plan for employee reduction
2. The severance costs are quantifiable
3. Impacted personnel have been informed.

In the past too many companies were playing games recording huge severance costs only to reverse a portion in later quarters.
Maybe Tesla has been working on this for some time and they can get this done by month end to record the severance but my guess would be Q3.

I lost millions (as an investor) trying to turn methane (nat gas) into isobutanol (fuel) with methanotrophs (bacteria) through gene editing. My advice would be don't bet on these kinds of projects until there are large scale working demonstration plants.
That’s a totally different process, isn’t it?

The hypothesis is that synthesized methane from green H2 and Sabatier reactors will be cheaper than natural gas (or biogas as another poster mentioned). Fischer-Tropsch synthesis is pretty simple fundamentally and produces a wide variety of high-purity liquid hydrocarbons, not just isobutanol.

There already are several large-scale working demonstration plants. I shared an example of a chemical company, Sasol, that apparently can already do this profitably with cheap syngas made from coal at their South African gas-to-liquids plant and from gas feeding their Onyx plant in Qatar. I don’t know of any company profitably producing synfuel with bacteria. Sasol’s coal-to-chemicals plant in S Africa is so big it’s the largest single CO2 emitter on the planet and it’s been operating since the 1950s.

As we all know after the clarifications from Elon, layoffs are indeed not for factory workers, but only salaried employees (office & overhead), and Tesla will continue to expand its overall workforce. It's embarrassing how Reuters left out important information from the email they claim to have without including it in their report. It was used in thousands of other articles and people will remember the Friday headline, but not the correction we saw 2 days later after Elon chimed in. FUD of its finest.

Needless to say how bad this is for the stock, but a PR department is not going to help here. Advertising dollars keep the MSM alive, and I know firsthand that without advertising contracts, editors-in-chief abstract their company, omit positive news, and spread misrepresentation in articles.

Money makes the world go round.

It's been 36 hours since it was clear Tesla is not cutting 10% of their workforce. The current top story on cnbc.com: a picture of Elon nearly crying and a headline suggesting Tesla is cutting head count by 10%.
I saw this headline in my news reader app last night - it’s paywalled unless you are under their 5 article limit/mo - and I’m not buying a subscription. So, the correct info is percolating in places.

After emailing employees about job cuts at Tesla, Elon Musk says the total headcount at the company will increase
https://www.businessinsider.com

Good to see Elon endorsing a Tesmanian article that clearly lays out the way Tesla is optimising it's operations through hiring and firing. Is there a chance that some in the financial media pick this up?

Thanks for this. Sent it to my sister along with a warning to recognize bias in mainstream media against Tesla, by media’s purposeful omission of facts and slanting of material.

Last edited:
The accounting on this is a bit of a wild card. Tesla will have to use some judgment as to whether they can recognize revenue with the expanded release of FSD Beta 10.12.2.

In April 2020, Tesla recognized $48m in revenue when Traffic and Stop Sign Control was released. Note that this feature is still considered Beta (see yellow highlight below) and yet Tesla was able to recognize $48m when released.

Today, when Tesla sells FSD, they only recognize about 60% as revenue and defer 40% until FSD is fully delivered. I believe that Auto Steer on City Streets is the final component to FSD and when released would allow Tesla to recognize the final 40% to revenue.

I haven't been following the timing of FSD revenue recognition very closely at all but, if the 60/40 split is accurate, then Tesla is pushing the boundaries of recognizing FSD revenue as soon as possible, IMO. There is significant grey area here because it's so subjective, but it's "value" that should be recognized here, not percent of functionality. IMO, the value is relatively small until the functionality is sufficient to drive without oversight. However, multiple conflicting interpretations are possible here.

As to when Tesla could recognize 100%, I agree, it doesn't have to be approved by regulators for Tesla to say, "We've completed the work and delivered the promised product, so we are recognizing 100%, it's just a matter of time before people can actually use it without oversight". Of course, they would continue to develop and improve it to make it even safer.

I would suggest that Tesla might be more likely to postpone recognizing the last 10%-20% to strengthen their legal arguments in the lawsuits that will undoubtably exist regardless of how this unfolds. This is because Tesla has never promised a specific date by which FSD would be useable without oversight.

(If there's a better thread for this, please let me know. I looked, but couldn't find anything.)

The SEC has finally described how to make a claim on the $40M in fines they extorted from Tesla and Musk over the "funding secured" tweet. Various articles about this appeared yesterday.

If you would like to submit a Claim Form you can download one here and return it with supporting documentation. Claim Forms must be postmarked by September 17, 2022 (the ”Claims Bar Date”).

Claim Forms may be also be submitted online here. If you choose to file your Claim Form online, you must file on or before 11:59 p.m. EDT on September 17, 2022 (the ”Claims Bar Date”).

To be eligible for a payment from the Fair Fund, you must satisfy certain eligibility criteria that are described in detail in the Plan of Distribution. Those criteria include the following:

1. You must have purchased or acquired Tesla common stock, listed on a U.S. exchange and registered with the Commission and traded under the symbol TSLA, during the Relevant Period (between 12:48:16 p.m. EDT on August 7, 2018 and 4:00 p.m. EDT on August 8, 2018);
  2. Your approved transactions must calculate to a Recognized Loss Amount pursuant to the Plan of Allocation and the Distribution Payment must equal or exceed $10.00.
So far as I can tell, the important number is $356.67. If you bought shares for more than that and still had them at the end of Relevant Period, you are considered to have lost that amount minus $356.67. Of course, restitution will be prorated to make the total come out to about $40M. I have no idea whatsoever what percentage that will end up being. Anybody?

Links:
SEC enforcement action (2/26/20)
Court order ((2/26/20)
Web site for filing a claim

OMG, so short-sellers can recoup their losses then! If they started their short in the morning and closed out their position after the tweet (to limit their losses), then they'll fall right in the scope of the conditions!

Short-sellers Enrichment indeed!

Do you guess think restructuring cost due to layoffs will go on q2 or q3? I would say it has to take at least a month to evaluate who to layoff which their severance pay will fall under q3 right?

Rob thinks it'll go on q2.

Q2. Tesla doesn't take a month to evaluate who to layoff, they can figure that out in 5 minutes. Maybe a whole day if they need to wait for responses from multiple people. It's pretty obvious who is moving the mission forward and who is just along for the ride.

Along with hiring litigators, maybe Elon needs to have a few folks who monitor the option market rigorously.
They should give him an update on weekly stakes MM's have on the line, and approx. the naked shorts using some data driven approach. When MM's have a lot to lose, they are more incentivized to distort news.
(+ also announce a buyback ... when ever oversold, naked short conditions arise just buy some stocks per the announced plan ... once MM's lose a few times, they will be less prone to these tactics)

Has anyone released the email to executives regarding the "super bad feeling about the economy" ?

Looking ahead to tomorrow .. maybe my lotto plays will cover upcoming vacation expenses ;)

It’s fun to imagine the firestorm of media shock and dismay if Tesla started day trading its own stock!
Why not?..
The media is so obviously in the service of the short sellers on the other side of the game
Share buyback is the best way of transferring hard earned cash from the company to short term speculators or worse shorts. Longs will not be the beneficiaries.

On the positive side though, I am guessing it reduces the free float and hence decreases volatility.. maybe. I am sure others can correct me on that.

Share buyback is the best way of transferring hard earned cash from the company to short term speculators or worse shorts. Longs will not be the beneficiaries.

On the positive side though, I am guessing it reduces the free float and hence decreases volatility.. maybe. I am sure others can correct me on that.

I think share buybacks are misunderstood by many who appear to think the idea behind them is to create demand for the shares which will boost the share price. What buybacks actually accomplish is to make each share represent a larger percentage of the company. This is a fact. So, to say "longs will not be the beneficiaries" is factually incorrect.

There should be no significant effect on volatility but if I were to argue one way or the other, I would say buybacks decrease the float and therefore increase the potential volatility.

Last edited: