Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The latest version of Apple CarPlay already supports EV charge planning and charge status, It can send info to multiple screens including HUDs, and it can show bidirectional alerts from the car. Apple is adding more features, but it’s not replacing the way it works.

There are some manufacturers that are switching their OS from BlackBerry QNX to Android or Google Automotive, so Google is also gaining some market share in the auto industry. This is not a problem for Apple because CarPlay can run on top of GA.

They showed a couple of slides that might be relevant to Tesla. Apple CarPlay is supported by 98% of new cars available in the US. (Is the other 2% only Tesla?). And 79% of US buyers will only consider cars with CarPlay.

View attachment 813526
They forgot to mention that 79% iPhone users only consider CarPlay capable cars.

Last edited:
FSD drivers disengage for different reasons. If I'm brave enough to try FSD Beta with my wife in the car, I will disengage at the slightest onset of atypical behavior vs when I am alone I let the car make more mistakes and click to report more shortcomings. I usually have plenty of cars around me and need/expect decent behavior. That said, while there are certainly plenty of irritating FSD maneuvers that may/may not be a disengagement for me, this latest FSD build has made noticeable and impressive improvements. I'm seeing a path over the next year for this to actually get somewhere. For me, this is bullish long term.

After being initially unimpressed, the new build is working quite well for me also. During some drives today it was actually a net positive for my driving experience - usually it’s a chore / more stressful to use it than not! It’s still failing in some areas that have been a problem from day one and has regressed in other areas, but overall it’s been pretty good.

They showed a couple of slides that might be relevant to Tesla. Apple CarPlay is supported by 98% of new cars available in the US. (Is the other 2% only Tesla?). And 79% of US buyers will only consider cars with CarPlay.
I don't trust that number at all. From what I have seen less than 50% of the US has an iPhone. So are they saying that non-iPhone users don't buy new cars?

And there are other cars that don't have CarPlay, like the Polestar vehicles. (Though I think they are adding it soon.)

Auto companies ceding their software to Apple is just the latest flaw in their business model. Don't build anything, just make an engine and contract every other bit out to someone else. Lost revenue, lost control, weaker integration.
I don't trust that number at all. From what I have seen less than 50% of the US has an iPhone. So are they saying that non-iPhone users don't buy new cars?

And there are other cars that don't have CarPlay, like the Polestar vehicles. (Though I think they are adding it soon.)
Yeah that's BS. I doubt more than 25% of all car buyers even know what CarPlay is.

The latest version of Apple CarPlay already supports EV charge planning and charge status, It can send info to multiple screens including HUDs, and it can show bidirectional alerts from the car. Apple is adding more features, but it’s not replacing the way it works.

There are some manufacturers that are switching their OS from BlackBerry QNX to Android or Google Automotive, so Google is also gaining some market share in the auto industry. This is not a problem for Apple because CarPlay can run on top of GA.

View attachment 813526
Apple solves car play for other auto companies with features Tesla had from beginning

Tesla solves FSD

I’m going to bed ;)

I agree. 79% doesn’t make sense when the iPhone has like 60% market share in the US, but there was no more context or fine print that they shared. They just presented that number as a fact during the keynote.

Elon replies, "It will be our best product ever imo"
I am sure this truck is much better today than when first revealed. Can't wait to hear an update on the current specs (e.g. rear wheel steering, etc).
btw . .unless it's an optical illusion, the windshield wiper does not look as big as the earlier pictures I had seen.

Last edited:

The inclusion of Volvo and Polestar on the list is especially odd...given that they have basically teamed up with the competition (Google) and are already using Android Automotive (the auto OS - not to be confused with the phone screen sharing Carplay equivalent Android Auto) - the Polestar 2 uses it as does the XC40 Recharge EV. Honestly, while it still needs work, it was the closest thing to a Tesla I've experienced when I test drove the Polestar 2 for a day (Turo rental). It definitely showed how an all-in-one ecosystem (like Tesla's) was simply better.

Alright, so apparently this DOES require you to still have an iPhone. The impression I originally had was that Apple was putting their own hardware in the car. This does not seem to be the case, all that is happening is that the car (presumably) now has hardware that can connect to and be controlled by CarPlay. The iPhone still does all the work rendering the UI and sending it to the car's screen(s).

So this obviously has a few problems. First one is that iPhone has a significant market share in a few markets, primarily US, but is nonexistent in many other parts of the world. So if you don't own an iPhone, this doesn't change a thing, you're still stuck with the awful native software in the car. Second is that you would need to keep your iPhone connected to your car all the time to overlay the CarPlay UI. I wonder what happens if you disconnect the phone from the car in the middle of your drive, for instance? Will the car immediately fall back to it's native software so you can still see how fast you are going?

I can see this becoming a huge battle between Apple and legacy auto for control of the car's experience. People who have this new CarPlay will probably want to spend 100% of their time only looking at the CarPlay and not anything from the car's native software. If so then yes Apple now effectively owns the software of the car and they can monetize however they wish, this cuts the automaker out completely. We'll see how happy legacy auto is about this when they can't sell map update for $200 or whatever anymore.

It's obviously better to have a superior native software experience, which is why Tesla's approach is fundamentally a better one. However for the software advantage Tesla currently has to be maintained, they will need to be more aggressive about expanding their in-car software experience. At some point people will just expect all the apps on their phone to appear on their car's screens when they get into their cars, so since Tesla (rightly IMHO) refuses to allow some 3rd party to take over their car like with CarPlay and Android Auto, they will need to get an app ecosystem and probably an app store implemented sooner rather than later so developers can start making apps for Tesla.

Just returned from vacation and to my delight FSD beta is ready for download ... cant wait to try in NYC ....

also AVIS and Budget had quite a few Teslas for rent (mostly Model 3's) at Las Vegas LAS airport... a lot of MY and M3 at Grand Canyon south rim .. not many at North rim... but then again not many people at the north rim

Last edited:
If every Car Play was running on Apple silicon, well then you've just drastically shrunk the number of Apple Car Play cars that will be out there until 2030, if not 2035. It's simply not feasible. Car Play cars become more a of niche than anything else. Essentially on just the high-end cars of legacy auto.
Not sure why you think that. Apple cranks out variants of their older CPUs for damned near everything for dirt cheap. They can pop out a variant of a 3-4 year old chip for $10.

EDIT: Maybe not. These pictures where CarPlay is taking over the whole console certainly makes me think so, but the old version of CarPlay was just a thin layer that ran atop other car OSs. I’m not sure now. They certainly could crank out the chips to do this. But they might not actually be doing it.

Last edited:
Elon replies, "It will be our best product ever imo"
I am sure this truck is much better today than when first revealed. Can't wait to hear an update on the current specs (e.g. rear wheel steering, etc).
btw . .unless it's an optical illusion, the windshield wiper does not look as big as the earlier pictures I had seen.

Maybe Elon can provide a product update / roadmap during the next earnings call. 😅🙃

I am fully on board with this being their primary focus.

But Tesla has also said specifically they plan to migrate their own fleet to electric. Tesla requires a lot of long haul themselves.

They very much want to hit carbon neutral/ negative themselves. Converting their own fleet first could very well help them bootstrap the mega charger network before they have third party demand.
I would be happy if the Mobile Rangers drove a Tesla rather than an ICE vehicle. I hate the optics of Tesla always in an ICE. I have yet to see a visit in a Tesla or other EV.

I agree. 79% doesn’t make sense when the iPhone has like 60% market share in the US

A significantly higher % of iphone owners are new car buyers than android owners is the obvious explanation.... so while they might be only 60% of everyone in the US, they're 79% (most likely a fair bit higher, since obviously not 100% of them will ONLY consider cars with carplay- given many tesla owners have iphones) of new car buyers.

A quick google suggests 40-50% higher income for iphone users over android on average depending whose research you use so that seems to check out.

So this obviously has a few problems. First one is that iPhone has a significant market share in a few markets, primarily US but is nonexistent in many other parts of the world.,

To be fair- the US is where most of the money is.

Still, EU and China iOS share is north of 20%, so hardly "nonexistent"

So if you don't own an iPhone, this doesn't change a thing, you're still stuck with the awful native software in the car. Second is that you would need to keep your iPhone connected to your car all the time to overlay the CarPlay UI. I wonder what happens if you disconnect the phone from the car in the middle of your drive, for instance? Will the car immediately fall back to it's native software so you can still see how fast you are going?

It's going to be wireless...so what do you mean by disconnect? Why would you even do that? My iphone doesn't do much useful in my Tesla besides be a key and funnel calls and texts, but I can't think of a time I ever had reason to disconnect it while driving.

That said- if it's just an overlay then yes the OEM interface ought to immediately appear since it'd still be running on the OEM hardware under the hood (which is what Apple is pulling much of its data from anyway.

I can see this becoming a huge battle between Apple and legacy auto for control of the car's experience. People who have this new CarPlay will probably want to spend 100% of their time only looking at the CarPlay and not anything from the car's native software. If so then yes Apple now effectively owns the software of the car and they can monetize however they wish, this cuts the automaker out completely. We'll see how happy legacy auto is about this when they can't sell map update for $200 or whatever anymore.

This has already been the case for years with just the V1 of carplay or android auto- no reason to pay for map updates anymore since you can use your phone for nav.

. However for the software advantage Tesla currently has to be maintained, they will need to be more aggressive about expanding their in-car software experience. At some point people will just expect all the apps on their phone to appear on their car's screens when they get into their cars,

That point passed a while ago :)

There's tons of threads here from new or potential owners mad that Tesla doesn't allow that. And has been for years. That's how standard Carplay and AA have already been for years now- folks are shocked Tesla doesn't offer it.

Tesla HAS mentioned the idea of their own app store, but that they wouldn't do it until they'd reached sufficient units in the field to attract enough developers....no specific # given. If this accelerates the timetable at all that's probably a good thing.

Most of existing fleet has surprisingly limited local storage though (and I don't believe the system is able to run software off external USB storage last anyone checked) so that'll be a bit of an issue... even the new Ryzen computers in 3/Y appear to have less storage than many were expecting when Tesla was showing demo screen shots of stuff like Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 on Tesla screens... (and 1.5 years after that reveal- you still can't actually play them so....?)

• Informative
Reactions: growler23
So, in some bizarro world, it’s 2025 and I get in my new car (not a Tesla) and it looks like crap… then I realize that I have to plug in my phone for the “magic” to happen with the slick displays and interface.
I get to where I’m going and unplug my phone to see the disaster of the OEM dash and displays.

Each time I do this, I’m reminded that I could have bought a Tesla which actually thought of the customer experience.

Do I have this right?

So, in some bizarro world, it’s 2025 and I get in my new car (not a Tesla) and it looks like crap… then I realize that I have to plug in my phone for the “magic” to happen with the slick displays and interface.
I get to where I’m going and unplug my phone to see the disaster of the OEM dash and displays.

Each time I do this, I’m reminded that I could have bought a Tesla which actually thought of the customer experience.

Do I have this right?
As a long time Apple fan and owner… this baffles me as well. When I saw the slick dashboard with speedo and integrated range and other stats I thought they changed their approach, but it sound like they didn’t and you will still need the phone which strikes me as odd. I do go places without my phone on occasion and the idea that not having my phone on me causes the car to revert is weird.

Also, if a friend borrows my car, do they need to pair their phone to make it the magic happen? Do you have to learn the smart way and the dumb way to do everything in your car? All seems weird.