Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In macro-economic news, here is a sign that Retail inventory is high (one goal of the FED raising int. rates is 'demand destruction')

Target says it's cutting prices to reduce inventory glut | Marketwatch.com

Target unveils aggressive steps to optimize inventory levels, control costs | CNBC TV on Youtube

Predictably, Target (TGT) is down substantially in the Pre-market, leading a drop in Retailers:

S&P 500 Index Components by percent change.2022-06-07.07-50.png

Tesla? Retail, don'cha kno? ;)

TSLA.2022-06-07.07-54.Lo.png

Cheers to the Longs!

Last edited:
The inclusion of Volvo and Polestar on the list is especially odd...given that they have basically teamed up with the competition (Google) and are already using Android Automotive (the auto OS - not to be confused with the phone screen sharing Carplay equivalent Android Auto) - the Polestar 2 uses it as does the XC40 Recharge EV. Honestly, while it still needs work, it was the closest thing to a Tesla I've experienced when I test drove the Polestar 2 for a day (Turo rental). It definitely showed how an all-in-one ecosystem (like Tesla's) was simply better.
Live with a Volvo XC40 Recharge. I do. Google maps works well but has limited display choices, mostly North is up, that’s it! Drivers screen is driving direction up, that’s it! Google maps anywhere links well.

Anything else, not so much.

Tesla is vastly better organized. Of course you don’t have three physical choices for volume or selection with Tesla. Volvo has enough buttons and switches to serve everybody!

OTOH, Volvo OTA is better than Tesla in that one simply locks the car, leaves and the car updates. No external connection needed, just like Tesla was back in 2015.

systems integration? Volvo knows nothing about the concept. Lane keeping? Don’t count on it.

Google/Android have maps, but not much else. Of course that does NOT imply the cr can follow the maps. It is just like Tesla in 2015. Not better.

I would not lose sleep over Google or Apple ever challenging Tesla auto OS. IMHO it is highly improbable they will be able to conquer BMS and all the other components of a BEV OS.
Probably somebody will get there, but neither of those.

Note: I am an Apple fan, and a Google maps fan.

They showed a couple of slides that might be relevant to Tesla. Apple CarPlay is supported by 98% of new cars available in the US. (Is the other 2% only Tesla?). And 79% of US buyers will only consider cars with CarPlay.

View attachment 813526
I did miss having Android Auto when I got a Tesla. But really, the only app I wish I still had is Waze.

Android Auto will catch up to Apple Car Play. The OEMs don't want to be locked into the Apple ecosystem. They don't want Apple to take over their business. So they will make sure Android Auto is able to catch up.

I see this as a three-horse race between Apple, Google, and Tesla. Tesla will always be able to have the best integration, but that doesn't guarantee success.

The big winner will be the one who has that "killer" app that drivers can't live without. If it keeps improving, FSD is obviously going to be the killer app. But if FSD fails, the others at least have a fighting chance.

Unless I'm vastly missing something, this new CarPlay stuff is basically just adding ODB2 data and being able to display to multiple screens/form-factors. It still needs the phone, meaning there will still be a crappy legacy UI behind the scenes. It does allow a person to have a more consistent UI in their car instead of whatever shlock the OEM tosses in there which is cool, but it's ultimately a nothing-burger to Tesla.

It will likely make all of those odd-ball long screens that auto makers have started tossing into their vehicles remotely usable at least instead of just being a marketing gimmick.

I swear to gawd, I don't understand the fascination with carplay or android auto. The Tesla interface is second to none imo. The MCU plays up to 24bit 192khz FLACs, and I've even gotten it to run 24bit 512khz SACD 5.1 surround FLACs for the win. SACD 5.1 is uber hard to extract btw. The premium audio is good enough to where you can hear the difference in audio formats and compression. Shrugs, maybe I'm too old school and just don't get it.

It doesn't always matter which one is better. People who are used to the Apple or Android car interface will want to stick with the software environment they already know. Most people are not interested in learning a new way to do things. It's just human nature.

So there will be some resistance to Tesla for that reason.

Tesla has to offer something significantly better to make people switch. I'm confident that Tesla will do just that, even if that something is not FSD.

In macro-economic news, here is a sign that Retail inventory is high (one goal of the FED raising int. rates is 'demand destruction')

Target says it's cutting prices to reduce inventory glut | Marketwatch.com

Target unveils aggressive steps to optimize inventory levels, control costs | CNBC TV on Youtube

Predictably, Target (TGT) is down substantially in the Pre-market, leading a drop in Retailers:

View attachment 813641

Tesla? Retail, don'cha kno? ;)

View attachment 813642

Cheers to the Longs!
thankfully Tesla has no inventory and moreover has pricing power given high demand.

Costco probably has no inventory issues Either.

Pessimistic headline from insideevs UK: Plug-In Car Sales Growth Stalled In May 2022 (owned by Motorsport Network - Wikipedia)

No mention of Tesla in the article at all (virtually no deliveries in May due to covid/China lockdowns)

Comments better than the article (as is often the case)

My take is a bit different (but covers other things too) - Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

InsideEVs article is by Mark Kane Profile | InsideEVs (not someone I've taken notice of before).

Luckily Ford is leading us all to an electric future (same author) - US: Ford EV Sales Surged In May 2022 - Mach-E, E-Transit And F-150 Lightning
1654607991472.png

Edit: according to insideEVs - there were 3000+ Tesla Model 3 (no Y,S,X IIRC) in November 2021 (2nd month or quarter) and Feb 2022 had 2500+ Model Y/3 (March & September are highest months because of plates/resale, so people often delay until March).

tesla Model 3 was UK's 2nd most popular car in 2021. Jan-Apr 2022 avg was something like 4000/month. This makes 6000 Fords across 3 models in whole of USA seem pretty minor so far.

Last edited:
It doesn't always matter which one is better. People who are used to the Apple or Android car interface will want to stick with the software environment they already know. Most people are not interested in learning a new way to do things. It's just human nature.

So there will be some resistance to Tesla for that reason.

Tesla has to offer something significantly better to make people switch. I'm confident that Tesla will do just that, even if that something is not FSD.
I'd suggest that most people buying a new car don't have experience with any of the car software options, coming from older/dumb cars without any real infotainment.
Unless I'm vastly missing something, this new CarPlay stuff is basically just adding ODB2 data and being able to display to multiple screens/form-factors. It still needs the phone, meaning there will still be a crappy legacy UI behind the scenes. It does allow a person to have a more consistent UI in their car instead of whatever shlock the OEM tosses in there which is cool, but it's ultimately a nothing-burger to Tesla.

It will likely make all of those odd-ball long screens that auto makers have started tossing into their vehicles remotely usable at least instead of just being a marketing gimmick.
Yup. Maybe Carplay is amazing on it's own, but my rental BMW last fall made the entire thing pointless with it's crappy controls, laggy screen and penchant for fighting me for control.

• Informative
Reactions: floydboy and Drax7