Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What advantages/disadvantages does the Apple approach (coming in 2024) have over Google's currently available offering?

Polestar/Volvo are main users of the full suite now, so best ones to search for videos. Renault & others soon.

Randomly chosen videos (but look ok) -
and
Hopefully security and you are not the product.

It pains me to know you bought into anything Taylor Ogan puts out. That twitter account posts slanted Tesla related information non-stop.......all while acting like he's a Tesla investor. He's been exposed multiple times, yet he keeps up the charade.
Yes, we gather your disdain for Mr. Ogan. That said, is his information accurate as posted in the thread?

It's not the messenger but the message that matters here, because facts matter.

So, in some bizarro world, it’s 2025 and I get in my new car (not a Tesla) and it looks like crap… then I realize that I have to plug in my phone for the “magic” to happen with the slick displays and interface.
I get to where I’m going and unplug my phone to see the disaster of the OEM dash and displays.

Each time I do this, I’m reminded that I could have bought a Tesla which actually thought of the customer experience.

Do I have this right?

Probably not?

Again WIRELESS carplay has been a thing for years- won't need to plug or unplug anything.

Also- Likely the phone would also be your key (some folks other than Tesla already do this) so it'd already have your custom Apple interface displayed by the time you get in.

Even more interesting- you'd be able to take your preferred dash setup with you on rental cars to varying degrees... (what degree depends on how specific Apples requirements are like "must have at least 2 addressable displays" or whatever they turn out to be).

As a long time Apple fan and owner… this baffles me as well. When I saw the slick dashboard with speedo and integrated range and other stats I thought they changed their approach, but it sound like they didn’t and you will still need the phone which strikes me as odd.

Makes perfect sense to me--- it insures Apple retains control over all the silicon doing the actual work.

I do go places without my phone on occasion and the idea that not having my phone on me causes the car to revert is weird.

As above- I expect phone as key will become standard on most cars, so a non-issue in most cases.

I suppose if you decide not to take the phone and use whatever backup key they provide you'd revert to the OEM interface- I can't recall anytime in like 20 years I've intentionally driven anywhere without my phone though... (I might leave it in the car for some reason like the beach but not leave it home)

Also, if a friend borrows my car, do they need to pair their phone to make it the magic happen? Do you have to learn the smart way and the dumb way to do everything in your car? All seems weird.

Yes I expect some sort of pairing would be needed (same to use it as a key after all)-- but as mentioned the upside would be they get to take "their" preferred layout with them to other cars- even cars of other brands- which is pretty cool.

It won't be as seamless as just "OEM itself makes good software" but it'll be worlds better than "OEM makes bad software and you have no other choice"

In macro-economic news, here is a sign that Retail inventory is high (one goal of the FED raising int. rates is 'demand destruction')

Target says it's cutting prices to reduce inventory glut | Marketwatch.com

Target unveils aggressive steps to optimize inventory levels, control costs | CNBC TV on Youtube

Predictably, Target (TGT) is down substantially in the Pre-market, leading a drop in Retailers:

View attachment 813641

Tesla? Retail, don'cha kno? ;)

View attachment 813642

Cheers to the Longs!

Cathie Wood had touched on this topic in her podcast/youtube a few weeks ago and was predicting how Target, Walmart had too much inventory buildup and needed to start offering deep discounts. Should help with inflation ... hope the rest of her readings of macro in those videos which was forecasting big decline in inflation will also come true. cheers!!

Yes, we gather your disdain for Mr. Ogan. That said, is his information accurate as posted in the thread?

I'm sorry, how is this problematic (y axis drawn to full scale)?? A very slight decrease in NEW jobs? While others are cutting jobs?

Capture.PNG

I'd suggest that most people buying a new car don't have experience with any of the car software options, coming from older/dumb cars without any real infotainment.
I agree with you here, but I'm talking about the future.

In the future, software will be the number one consideration in buying a new car. For the vast majority of buyers, software will be more important than looks, 0-60, or even range.

So many buyers will say:

"If my car can't drive itself, I don't want it."
"If my car doesn't support my streaming services, I don't want it."
"If my car doesn't sync with my contacts, calendar, messaging, and social media, I don't want it."
"If my car can't fart, I don't want it."

Ok, maybe not that last one...

The information is accurate, however he said this data is used to sniff through Elon's BS which I didn't understand. The data shows exactly a net gain in jobs while the slant is to show Tesla destroying jobs.

I'm sorry, how is this problematic (y axis drawn to full scale)?? A very slight decrease in NEW jobs? While others are cutting jobs?

This chart is beautiful. Elon basically said, freeze all office hiring and maintain the production ramp. Love it.

That being said.....this likely won't help the Energy side customer service I've been hoping would improve in 2022.

So you consider a ~22% reduction in new jobs a "very slight decrease"? Does that apply to the stock price too? A 22% drop is TSLA price is only a "very slight decrease"? o_O
Not a small decrease but a welcome correction. New jobs correction is exactly what shareholders want before the company is bloated with opex that can't be explained (*cough Rivian cough*).

A new useless employee brings negative value to the company. Hire->train->evaluate->layoff = negative value and just burns through cash.

Probably not?

Again WIRELESS carplay has been a thing for years- won't need to plug or unplug anything.

Also- Likely the phone would also be your key (some folks other than Tesla already do this) so it'd already have your custom Apple interface displayed by the time you get in.

Even more interesting- you'd be able to take your preferred dash setup with you on rental cars to varying degrees... (what degree depends on how specific Apples requirements are like "must have at least 2 addressable displays" or whatever they turn out to be).

Makes perfect sense to me--- it insures Apple retains control over all the silicon doing the actual work.

As above- I expect phone as key will become standard on most cars, so a non-issue in most cases.

I suppose if you decide not to take the phone and use whatever backup key they provide you'd revert to the OEM interface- I can't recall anytime in like 20 years I've intentionally driven anywhere without my phone though... (I might leave it in the car for some reason like the beach but not leave it home)

Yes I expect some sort of pairing would be needed (same to use it as a key after all)-- but as mentioned the upside would be they get to take "their" preferred layout with them to other cars- even cars of other brands- which is pretty cool.

It won't be as seamless as just "OEM itself makes good software" but it'll be worlds better than "OEM makes bad software and you have no other choice"
Agreed and it bears repeating that this offering from Apple as well as Google are simply infotainment and the other controls are just "skinned" (those are coded and managed by someone else).

What Tesla has is fully integrated with all the code running in the vehicle (BMS, brakes, EPAS, body controls, pedal monitor, AP, DU...etc). All, and I mean ALL, can be OTA'd down to the bootloader. Which means that no matter what it can be updated. This is the ultimate level of integration and is several levels away from what Apple and Google have done.

So you consider a ~22% reduction in new jobs a "very slight decrease"? Does that apply to the stock price too? A 22% drop is TSLA price is only a "very slight decrease"? o_O
nothing burger of course. We are NOT talking firings. We are talking adding NEW jobs, at a huge rate, There are always variations in that, and there are always hiring slowdowns in all companies, including fast growing ones - otherwise Tesla would probably have now millions of employees :)

This "issue" is a a complete non issue, where a very healthy hiring trend is being portrayed by TSLAQ as job losses - when in fact Tesla is expanding. And expanding In the middle of a world wide crisis, to add the proper context.

There is also the real possibility that Tesla is filling jobs as fast as they can, and with recently announced layoffs from other companies, they filled a ton of positions quickly.

My own experience bears this out. My company posted a job for a sys admin last week, hoping we would get 2-3 applicants to pick from. We got 40, some of them WAY overqualified for the position (i.e. network engineers looking for any position they can fit into right now). Something is going on with the job market that is not yet showing up in the labor stats.