Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm back. Our travels/show went very well - fun stuff! Meanwhile, TSLA? It helps to not have to think about trading while in HODL mode, but then met up with Trader Bob for that other perspective, lol. Family contest I guess, see who wins in the end.

Slightly OT, we rented a 2017 Model X on Turo. Was a 5 seater for largest cargo space, (but the wife's head is sore from those wing doors :confused:. Maybe it's fine once you're used to it. As cargo goes, the wings were a big plus.) The Model Y was much tighter driving all around, but Cybertruck please?

So MCU2 with latest upgrades did not impress. Is Tesla including these cars in "total disengagements" or just the latest revs or Computers? Cuz if included, and perhaps the older units are becoming negligible by % total, is it still skewed? You know how a few bad data points can skew stellar results when going for perfection. And could that put the latest beta well above what is stated publicly (which I don't know off hand, but I seem to recall better than ave human by year end per Elon). It would be just like Tesla to under report how good it is, then catch the world off guard and release before they know it. If they split out the data by technology, it could have a large impact on overall vehicle value - not just the value of FSD, but whole vehicle.

Anyway, I can't believe how something only 5 yrs old can feel so outdated. Like the display for example; are these older ones also holding value well?

dang, hope this is not production interior. I was looking forward to the 3 + 3 seating.
Agreed. I hope the carpeted box on the floor between the driver and passenger DISAPPEARS. the space needs to be completely open for leg room and ventilation. A lot of us old men spread out legs at the knees while we drive and having to rest the knee area against that box gets uncomfortable.

Elkhorn baby with Cybertruck illustrating how sustainable the grid can be. Having sold my Toyota Tacoma getting ready for the CT. Other EVs can't compare with Tesla in every way. The disruption is now

the windshield wiper does not look as big as the earlier pictures I had seen.
Looks like just the wiper arm with the wiper blade removed. Or maybe the wiper blade extends when in use.

1654615844314.png

So you consider a ~22% reduction in new jobs a "very slight decrease"? Does that apply to the stock price too? A 22% drop is TSLA price is only a "very slight decrease"? o_O

I can't believe people are making negative noises out of what should be a positive. As Tesla fills job openings, naturally, they will have less need to fill as many openings. Remember, the goal is to do more with less. Ideally, they wouldn't need *any* new employees. Of course that is not practical, but this is certainly not a case of "the more the merrier".

Along these same lines, I am very disappointed that my new Model S LR does not support USB music. It has a great sound system and I can't play my own music except through blue tooth. Music was best supported with proper album art etc on my old 2012 Model S. Yikes.

Wait, what?

Current Model S owners manual said:
Playing Media from Devices

You can play audio files from a Bluetooth-connected device (like a phone) or a USB-connected flash drive. When you connect a Bluetooth or USB device, Media Player includes the device as a media source.

Source:

Yes, we gather your disdain for Mr. Ogan. That said, is his information accurate as posted in the thread?

It's not the messenger but the message that matters here, because facts matter.
This Ogan character along with a host of other TSLAQ & media scums, share 'facts' without context. The facts are intended to scare you, to show the sky is falling and the fraud is unravelling - only if you take those facts in complete isolation, fully missing the context.

The 'fact' that job postings are less now should be of no surprise. But given the context of the current economy the fact that there are still so many job openings in Tesla is very positive.

Last edited:
Re Apple Carplay trying to offer visuals and integrated screen for all cars (see Dave Lee's YouTube video below): why wouldn't Tesla license its hardware/ software MCU with 8 cameras, integrate with other car sensors and so offer autopilot - at the same time collecting driver data useful for FSD generally? First deal with VW most likely IMHO. Of course may not be worth the headaches even tho very logical and win win for everybody.

Makes perfect sense to me--- it insures Apple retains control over all the silicon doing the actual work.

My original take here was Apple would supply the silicon for the car console and handle things like security in the car. That would be a significant shift and alter the landscape. Extending the current model (where the car console is a slave to the phone) might result in a marginally better version of CarPlay but it’s not game changing or even particularly interesting.

Car makers have struggled just getting phone as a key working right. This would mean they would have to build out their own entire buggy interface, then run CarPlay on top of that, adding a layer of interface bugs to original sloppy implementation.

I suppose if you decide not to take the phone and use whatever backup key they provide you'd revert to the OEM interface- I can't recall anytime in like 20 years I've intentionally driven anywhere without my phone though... (I might leave it in the car for some reason like the beach but not leave it home)
I have. Riding my bike I wouldn’t say “Often”, but on occasion. I’ve also run out of batteries while on long rides on more than one occasion. Or just plain forgot my phone.

While CarPlay taking over the car would be interesting, it is a poor substitute for an integrated approach.

EDIT: My take here is if they took over the console it would be potentially game changing. This is just an incremental improvement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Usain and Nocturnal
Because everything that is of interest is posted by Elon under his personal account.

Just in the past few days: AI Day #2, new litigation department, new currency supported by Tesla shop…

Even this the tweet below was posted by Elon and reposted by the company. Makes zero sense, especially after Elon posted this. 🙄
View attachment 812157
You say the media chooses to ignore @tesla's account but I (investor) could perfectly ignore @tesla since @elonmusk tweets everything. Take the "AI Day #2 annoucement: if posted by @tesla, it would have the exact same effect as @tesla RTing @elonmusk – except that @tesla would gain more exposure (and followers) for the benefit of the company's mission.

Do you believe Elon and his memes needs more exposure in the media? Tesla definitely needs more people interested in the mission and their products though. Unless we aren't investors but fans of a media personality…

This makes no sense. You say Tesla should not a voice because Elon has the megaphone and everything he says would be confused with Tesla-the-company. So maybe start giving @tesla a voice, then? I would not care about Elon tweeting Tesla's stuff if he did not enjoy messing with his political opponents.

Of course people would continue jumping on his personal comments but I and everyone else could follow @tesla and not be have to bear Elon's lame jokes, memes and rants. Of course the media is to blame for this stupid game but Elon does not even try to change it. He loves it, all the more if it make some people hate him in return.
And PR is a lot more. It’s organizing media availability, events, in-house video, political liaising, crisis management, strategy. The evidence is that there is a big, internal team doing some of this and—surprise!—Elon was certainly being hyperbolic about the wholesale firing of Tesla PR, but it would, perhaps, take some of the pressure off Elon if more of the communication was delegated to a trusted voice. Someone like Jon McNeill. Perma-caveat: the product is so good a 10 year-old could (and maybe does) carry the message.

There is also the real possibility that Tesla is filling jobs as fast as they can, and with recently announced layoffs from other companies, they filled a ton of positions quickly.

My own experience bears this out. My company posted a job for a sys admin last week, hoping we would get 2-3 applicants to pick from. We got 40, some of them WAY overqualified for the position (i.e. network engineers looking for any position they can fit into right now). Something is going on with the job market that is not yet showing up in the labor stats.
My guess is this nutty inflation has brought many workers back that were previously "out of the job market"...don't know how long it takes for that to officially show up in the stats...

Along these same lines, I am very disappointed that my new Model S LR does not support USB music. It has a great sound system and I can't play my own music except through blue tooth. Music was best supported with proper album art etc on my old 2012 Model S. Yikes.
When did you get yours? It's working fine in my March build LR using the same microSD card I've been using in my pre-AP 2014. I only had to buy a USB-C/microSD adapter to fit the console USB-C sockets.

My guess is this nutty inflation has brought many workers back that were previously "out of the job market"...don't know how long it takes for that to officially show up in the stats...
That and however many people quit after massive crypto or stock gains only to see those evaporate.