Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Serious FOMO for the Plaid, and you're not helping.

Yeah, about that... Roadster will likely debut with FOUR carbon-wrapped SRPM motors developing a total of 1,341 hp, run the quarter-mile in the low-eights at 166 mph, AND have 600+ miles of range.

Look for it in late 2023, once Giga Texas is independent for 4680 cell production so that Kato Rd. bty cell output can be redirected to Roadster.

FOMO, indeed. Supplies are limited. Exclusivity guaranteed. :D

Last edited:
I'm working on another megapost breaking down my thesis for why I'm expecting Wright's Law for solar to continue for long enough for the renewables revolution to play out in the next 20 years. It might take 2-3 weeks to complete so I hope this will suffice for now.

1654638036953.png

New for UK? Maybe Elon's service shakeup is happening?

View attachment 813760
Ah, not everyone happy - assuming announcement is linked Tesla U.K. have closed all their front of house service teams and it’s absolutely baffling

Tesla U.K. have recently absorbed, moved or otherwise closed most if not all of their front of house service teams into other remote teams. There is now no one on-site to interface between customers and tech’s other than the tech’s themselves, (one or two of whom in many cases I’m told are doing all of the go-between at a location if the SC manager can’t).

This is from a somewhat exasperated tesla employee trying to help me unpick the status of my appointment and report some issues with a loaner car, so unless I’ve been given the wrong info, I’m staggered by this decision.

Berkeley National Laboratory (USA) estimates that these days solar PV has an average energy payback period of 0.5 to 2 years, meaning that about 6-24 months worth of its energy collection is used across the lifecycle for fabrication + transportation + construction + maintenance + deconstruction + recycling. If a panel nominally rated for 100W produces a daily average of 0.5kWh, then across a year that’s 0.5 * 365 = ~180kWh, and across an estimated 25-year panel life it's 180 kWh * 25 = 4.5 MWh. With current retail electricity costs in China of approximately $0.084/kWh on average (source), the embedded energy cost is at most around $0.084/kWh * 180 kWh/year * 1 year typical energy payback / 100W nominal = ~$0.15/W embedded energy cost, approximately 15% of the entire current $1/W cost of solar. Even if going carbon neutral doubles this energy cost to 30%, that's still only a 15% increase, equivalent to a single year of overall solar PV cost decline.

Let's look at it another way. I see various estimates that solar has embedded CO2 equivalent of roughly 1 ton CO2e/MWh. Carbon offset credits cost on the order of $10/ton. With unsubsidized all-in solar costs today of about $30/MWh in Western nations with favorable insolation (like USA, Australia & NZ), carbon offsets would drive up cost by 25% to $40/MWh. Again, only for now because eventually solar energy will be used to make more solar energy and all the logistics and construction and all that will be going renewable too, dropping the CO2e/MWh to vastly less than it is today.
Major mistake in here. Embedded CO2e of solar power is not anywhere close to 1 ton CO2e/MWh. That's actually closer to coal power's carbon intensity, which was probably the source of my error.

Here's 2012 analysis from the US NREL which pegged solar at merely 40 gCO2e/kWh, or 0.04 tons CO2e/MWh. I was off by a factor of 25. The carbon offset price if $10/ton CO2 is only $0.40/MWh, which is ~1% of the current cost of solar.

1654638374129.png

(Source)

Similar results from by MIT researchers in 2008:

1654638781134.png

(Source)

The World Nuclear Organization has similar estimates, updated a year ago:

1654638969237.png

(Source)

Again we also need to bear in mind that these emissions are not guaranteed from a physics standpoint. These emissions are the current performance of the industry.

Mining, refining, transportation, employee commuting, Si wafer manufacturing, power tools for construction, on-site trucks/vans, etc are all being affected by the solar-wind-batteries revolution more and more each year. None of the value chain is inherently dependent on CO2 release as coal/gas/oil power is, except for the concrete.

Nothing stopping Tesla from using Twitter that way right now. Not to mention all the people who have been on there fighting the FUD daily for years.

Could well be, however Twitter isn't as popular as it should /could be, maybe there is a reason for this?

Also, how do we know Twitter isn't isolating Tesla aware and Tesla non-aware folks right now? or skewing perceptions with spam bots influencing one's perceptions? This has been successfully done (on Facebook as we know in election politics, and to a lesser extent on Twitter re silencing any bona fide questioning of the Covid government approved views)

The way things are going (the Twitter board filled with corporate FUDsters except Jack) one can probably assume Elon's tweets would become more heavily manipulated as time goes by.

Are they putting radar back, or is this for something else?

The test results are from 2018, so this is probably an in-house radar unit that they were working on long before they decided to switch to Tesla Vision. It is likely that the confidentiality period just ran out for some of the documents and that is why we are seeing them now.

In other words don't expect them to be adding radar back...

I agree with you here, but I'm talking about the future.

In the future, software will be the number one consideration in buying a new car. For the vast majority of buyers, software will be more important than looks, 0-60, or even range.

So many buyers will say:

"If my car can't drive itself, I don't want it."
"If my car doesn't support my streaming services, I don't want it."
"If my car doesn't sync with my contacts, calendar, messaging, and social media, I don't want it."
"If my car can't fart, I don't want it."

Ok, maybe not that last one...

well today I connect my iPhone via bt as tesla still doesn’t support carplay and no app support either …. Not sure about the future, but CarPlay today would be nice

Although you speak of Full Disclosure, I don’t see any reference as to the location of said vehicle. Ubicação and all that, donchaknow :)
Ah, but it’s right there in my text block, including my desire for a Tesla. It is indeed in Jardim Botânico, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil. It is Belgium- built and, I am informed is EU specification.

Is that not disclosure enough?

Reactions: StealthP3D
This is a Tesla. So an acceptable trade for you then. Where is the Polestar located? Oh wait, I found it: 2hr 31min 29.09sec, 89deg 15min, 50.8sec.
Not a Polestar but a Volvo. Same factory, running gear, some differences, i’m told, in the Android Auto and screens. I do not know personally since I have zero Polestar experience.

Ladies and gentlemen, the dumbest government in the western world:

When shutting down your remaining nuclear plants and instead funding Putin or restarting coal plants just wasn’t going far enough…
We tax solar panels and you literally can't even buy a Tesla in Texas.

This is conjecture at best.

Germany is headed for 100% renewables+ storage within 8 years, and they'll do it. What's everybody else's gameplan?