Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apps that iOS has which Tesla does not. Apple Music, Podcasts, Maps, etc.

Which is why I keep saying Tesla needs to implement their app store and start having an ecosystem that developers will make apps for. Where's Apple Music, Tesla?
But but... my Tesla already do music, podcasts and maps.

I don’t think most investors fully realize how impressive it has been for Tesla to develop their own software stack and how hard it will be for competition to repeat that feat. Competition is struggling with catching up to where Tesla was, which Tesla managed to get to much quicker and with a much smaller organization. Now Tesla has done this, is still moving fast and has a much larger organization. And much of it is thanks to Musk taking full control of Tesla and sometimes being hard on the organization and purgeing elements that slow down development, changing directions when needed, making impossible timelines that sometimes anger customers and micromanaging everything by himself.

Read these 4 pictures and see what the alternative would have been:

We tax solar panels and you literally can't even buy a Tesla in Texas.

This is conjecture at best.

Germany is headed for 100% renewables+ storage within 8 years, and they'll do it. What's everybody else's gameplan?

Germany’s wind and solar electricity production per capita is only like 20% above the US and growing at a slower rate, and because Germany chose to shut down all their nuclear power plants, once those are shut down later this year their total clean generation will basically be unchanged since 2001 at ~210TWh, one of the worst showings in the western world.

Germany will probably get there someday (everyone will) but not in 8 years lol… there is simply nowhere near the level of capacity addition for that to happen by then.

Wind + Solar generation (GWh):
Year 🇺🇸 USA 🇩🇪 Germany
2015: 232,071 119,350
2016: 284,705 118,022
2017: 334,929 145,094
2018: 369,730 155,735
2019: 406,845 172,286
2020: 474,890 181,565
2021: 543,900 166,952
Growth: +134.4% +39.9%

In 2001 Germany’s nuclear power plants produced 171,305 GWh. They’ve basically undone everything they worked towards by choosing to shut them down early…

Last edited:
So what is it that CarPay can do that my Tesla cannot?
I think it depends largely on how bought into Apple’s ecosystem you are.

The big missing feature I know of is continuity. Having a podcast playing on your phone and having it continue from where you left off and be accessible from the console. Having your current playlist switch to your car

Personally I’m kind of meh on the whole thing, but I’ve never owned a car with CarPlay. But I do see some appeal to the idea. It is a little nicer than using Bluetooth to share your audio.

I think it depends largely on how bought into Apple’s ecosystem you are.

The big missing feature I know of is continuity. Having a podcast playing on your phone and having it continue from where you left off and be accessible from the console. Having your current playlist switch to your car

Personally I’m kind of meh on the whole thing, but I’ve never owned a car with CarPlay. But I do see some appeal to the idea. It is a little nicer than using Bluetooth to share your audio.

The key to CarPlay is that it is a million times better than what comes built in with any car that supports it, and it closes the gap between those cars and Tesla in terms of software. For very little additional work the automaker gets media, navigation, texting using voice, calls, siri, and more.

I like Tesla's software a lot, and for other automakers, it seems like a no-brainer to support CarPlay and have a good experience for customers rather than a terrible one. I don't think it is wise for people here to discount how Apple can help others reach parity with Tesla (FSD being a notable exception).

Last edited:
As much as I like CarPlay, I don't think it would be wise for Tesla to adopt it. They can make a ton of money with premium connectivity and other software upgrades. They have enough software expertise to build their own and differentiate themselves, and the money they make from premium connectivity and other upgrades more than pays for a top notch software team. Other car companies don't have that luxury. Similar reasoning as to why Apple doesn't ditch MacOS for a Linux distro or Windows.

Last edited:
Don't remember the Tesla account being banned, so yeah, nothing. Tesla has made no attempt to fight the FUD.
Based upon what I have seen, Elon doesn't make decisions like this lightly.

His track record with successful businesses speaks for itself. His vision for a better future is what drives him.

I believe what he is doing with Twitter is going to pay off. Just like every other business venture he has taken on.

You don't believe this about his Twitter decision. So, there is not really anything anyone can respond with that will alter your perspective.

I was stopped at lights earlier and a little boy, 7 max, was crossing the road with his Dad. He shouted "Dad is that a Tesla?". And the Dad smiled and said to me He loves Teslas.

Literally 5 minutes later I was passing a group of secondary school boys and one of them shouted "There's a Tesla"

Advertising anyone? Admittedly I had just had it washed
I am sure in about 20 or 25 years will hear a different kind of story. A small boy crossing the road to school will ask, “Dad, is that a gas car? cool ! “.

They way we look at steam engines.

I am sure in about 20 or 25 years will hear a different kind of story. A small boy crossing the road to school will ask, “Dad, is that a gas car? cool ! “.

They way we look at steam engines.

Gas cars seem like Rube Goldberg machines compared to an electric motor. Crank shaft, pulleys, belts, spark plugs, etc. No thanks.

Tesla is buying 10 GWh of LFP from BYD.
That works out to 150k cars @ 67 kWh or 133k @ 75kWh

The conclusion appears to be based on combining two different claims.

A VP at BYD said "we will soon supply batteries to him" (Elon) with 0 specifics or numbers or details whatsoever.

Then the story goes on to mention 3 different rumors from the last year or so-- one of which was a 10 gwh order for LFP batteries... (the other 2 were about other rumored BYD orders including one claim they were ordering blades for THIS current quarter (Q2) production)

It'll be very interesting to see the delivery numbers in Norway the coming weeks.

Today they delivered 74 German made MY. The previous record in a day was 33. Granted, it was closed for a holiday on Monday, but there hasn't been any two days that together were close to 74 before.

German produced cars should create a very short delivery wave, if any, so if the numbers continue to go up this month we can expect that to be from growing production and not just ships arriving before the end of quarter.

Tesla Registration Stats