Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It'll be very interesting to see the delivery numbers in Norway the coming weeks.

Today they delivered 74 German made MY. The previous record in a day was 33. Granted, it was closed for a holiday on Monday, but there hasn't been any two days that together were close to 74 before.

German produced cars should create a very short delivery wave, if any, so if the numbers continue to go up this month we can expect that to be from growing production and not just ships arriving before the end of quarter.

Tesla Registration Stats
In Norway we can even differentiate between made in Berlin an made in Shanghai-all Performance Y are from Berlin and named ‚DE-P‘. Only free variable is how the Performance Ys from Berlin are distributed across countries.

Also it seems the Berlin VINs are sequential at the moment but we know from early times in Fremont that VIN counting is not reliable in the long run.

I’m not an expert on EU but I don’t see that it follows that just because an element is declared toxic means it can’t be mined and used. Lead has been known to be toxic for a long time. So it’s banned in paint as it’s a child’s chewing hazard among other things, but is used in most car starter batteries as it’s well contained and gets recycled.
According to a very interesting video posted here recently, the entire planet is poisoned by lead now as are its inhabitants and we’re seeing the results of that poisoning via a reduction of IQ and many diseases.

Point being, according to that video, there’s no such thing as ‘well contained lead’. That genie left the bottle many, many decades ago.

According to a very interesting video posted here recently, the entire planet is poisoned by lead now as are its inhabitants and we’re seeing the results of that poisoning via a reduction of IQ and many diseases.

Point being, according to that video, there’s no such thing as ‘well contained lead’. That genie left the bottle many, many decades ago.
I don't get it.

But nobody burned -or is gonna burn Lithium to power their cars like we used to do with leaded gas.

Last edited:
The BYD Blade cells are a large format prismatic cell that BYD have turned into a semi-structural member. They are effectively a thin but deep prismatic cell with the length of the cell extending across the pack to allow it's stronger casing to act as a partial structural member/beam.

Jordan at the Limiting Factor did a deep dive on the BYD Blade cell and generally had good things to say about them:

They would likely be supplied as a structural cell to pack assembly similar to the way CATL supplies Tesla China with it's LFP packs. So these should be an alternative battery supply source for SR+ LFP M3 and MY.
If not cylindrical, or even more specific, if not current exact size of current cells, I highly doubt this is actually happening.

Why? A whole new pack design and new BMS involves a huge amount of engineering work. In order to do all of this work, you'd need to have a very good reason. Something like a move from cylindrical to prismatic or increasing throughput of vehicles by more than 20%. I'm not seeing that very good reason currently.

If it is, great, and I can't wait for the Sandy teardown.

Okay, this cracks me up...

First idea that crossed my (addled) mind would be for whoever is providing the destination charger to offer a "dollar equivalent" of gas or diesel.

So, take the average cost of 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full charge and provide a gift card equal to the cost of that amount of electricity, based upon filling the customer's ICE vehicle from the current level of their tank.

This would then be a great advertising tool, showing ICE owners the value of filling a BEV compared to what the cost is for fueling an ICE.

In a perfect world this would be hilarious to watch from a safe distance as the ICE owner gets, say, a voucher for $10 to top up their tank.

If not cylindrical, or even more specific, if not current exact size of current cells, I highly doubt this is actually happening.

Why? A whole new pack design and new BMS involves a huge amount of engineering work. In order to do all of this work, you'd need to have a very good reason. Something like a move from cylindrical to prismatic or increasing throughput of vehicles by more than 20%. I'm not seeing that very good reason currently.

Didn't CATL do a lot of the engineering for their LFP SR pack?

First idea that crossed my (addled) mind would be for whoever is providing the destination charger to offer a "dollar equivalent" of gas or diesel.

So, take the cost of 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full charge and provide a gift card equal to the cost of that amount of electricity, based upon filling the customer's ICE vehicle from the current level of their tank.

This would then be a great advertising tool, showing ICE owners the of filling a BEV compared to what the cost is for fueling an ICE.

In a perfect world this would be hilarious to watch from a safe distance as the ICE owner gets, say, a voucher for $10 to top up their tank.
GOP doing the deeds of the Oil Industry.

You're out of date. CATL batteries are LFP prismatics, and Sandy has done a video showing the insides of the pack with the modules. All current Model 3 Std Rge cars from China use this LFP pack.

There's no doubt that Tesla would require BYD to provide the same design service that they received from CATL: that is, the complete bolt-in battery pack.

So, take the average cost of 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full charge and provide a gift card equal to the cost of that amount of electricity, based upon filling the customer's ICE vehicle from the current level of their tank.

This would then be a great advertising tool, showing ICE owners the value of filling a BEV compared to what the cost is for fueling an ICE.

I hate clueless politicians equally on both sides of the isle!