Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know it's an irrelevant sorta question, but why would TSLA +3% be at 10X the Nasdaq 0.3% at 09:52 am EST ?
Part of this may be the overhang of the Twitter deal falling apart with more articles coming out pointing to it having less probability of completion. That would cause a movement outside of the macro environment to the positive.

I know it's an irrelevant sorta question, but why would TSLA +3% be at 10X the Nasdaq 0.3% at 09:52 am EST ?
It's hard to say for sure but we are already lagging the index so maybe some money is coming into the stock (Other stocks don't look at appealing at their levels).

If you look back to last month when QQQ traded at 300 and Spy at 400 we were trading at 800. Now they are several % above that and we are sub 800.

I'm pretty sure that all Model 3 SRs, even the ones made in Fremont, use the CATL LFP packs now.

I thought so too, but have less definative evidence that is currently the case. Certainly, Elon has tweeted recently that, over time, about 2/3rds of Tesla will use Iron cathodes, and 1/3rd will use Nickel.

When that occurs is a business decision I think, with Giga Nevada easily able to continue providing 2170 (Nickel) SR+ packs, and with CATL having to ship their LFP packs from China. Of course, we know that CATL does intend to build a LFP bty plant in N. America, which I think seals the deal.

I just hope that Elon realizes the VALUE of a STD RGE Semi, with an Iron cathode battery. Bank that carbon!

Cheers to the longs!

P.S. FOMO in progress:

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2022-06-08.10-05.png

Last edited:

At macro level ... looks like MM front running CPI numbers...

TSLA level:
competition battery fires :) (should be last bullet but putting it 1st is more fun)
BYD battery news
TSMC chip suppliers showing strong business for 2nd half
Austin Deliveries ...
GF Berlin deliveries
+China reopening and China stimulus

&& we were ~ 780 last week, so was over sold as usual .... coiled spring got released again ...
(++ just remembered why we dropped - it was the 10% head count reduction, bad feeling emails that MSM based their FUD on )

Last edited:
Okay, this cracks me up...

First idea that crossed my (addled) mind would be for whoever is providing the destination charger to offer a "dollar equivalent" of gas or diesel.

So, take the average cost of 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full charge and provide a gift card equal to the cost of that amount of electricity, based upon filling the customer's ICE vehicle from the current level of their tank.

This would then be a great advertising tool, showing ICE owners the value of filling a BEV compared to what the cost is for fueling an ICE.

In a perfect world this would be hilarious to watch from a safe distance as the ICE owner gets, say, a voucher for $10 to top up their tank.

Dumbassery at it's finest.

Someone should file a "counter bill" that prohibits oil/gas/refinery/transportation subsidies for fossil fuels, and then tell that dumbass "you withdraw your bill, I'll withdraw mine".

You're out of date. CATL batteries are LFP prismatics, and Sandy has done a video showing the insides of the pack with the modules. All current Model 3 Std Rge cars from China use this LFP pack.

There's no doubt that Tesla would require BYD to provide the same design service that they received from CATL: that is, the complete bolt-in battery pack.

Link to Sandy doing a STD RGE LFP teardown please. I follow his channel and missed that video.

Reactions: chiller
Low volume in Pre-market today. Somebody wants to let TSLA run for a while (not interfering with 'capping' as per usual).

EDIT: FOMO in progress. +4.09% at 10:05 ET :D

Good options volume this AM, with calls dominating puts at 1.7:1 for TSLA (as of this post).

Might be some individuals repositioning prior to the huge volume of calls expiring on triple witching 6/17, forcing MM's to delta hedge and buy shares.

My view:

Elon's layoff announcement last week instilled (completely irrational) views that Tesla demand is hurting and the company is collapsing.

Lithium and battery purchase news has allayed those fears. You don't sign big raw material and battery agreements if you don't have demand.

Stock market dumb. Us be smart. The reality is we're just way ahead of the general market.

That's what's so cool about this forum--it basically turns us all into financial clairvoyants while the rest of the market discovers what we already knew months after the fact.

But nobody burned -or is gonna burn Lithium to power their cars like we used to do with leaded gas.
I don’t know what ‘we’re’ going to do. It’s probably going to be not in our best interests, of that I’m pretty sure. Often the results of things we do now aren’t realized until years or decades later.

For the record, I’ve no opinion about the lithium mining subject. I was just addressing the misnomer of safe (contained) lead.

You're out of date. CATL batteries are LFP prismatics, and Sandy has done a video showing the insides of the pack with the modules. All current Model 3 Std Rge cars from China use this LFP pack.

There's no doubt that Tesla would require BYD to provide the same design service that they received from CATL: that is, the complete bolt-in battery pack.

Link to Sandy doing a STD RGE LFP teardown please. I follow his channel and missed that video.

And I've linked to where the actual discussion starts.

I'm still not convinced that this is shipping in Tesla cars (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, I'm hard to please, I'm an engineer and I need Elon to say he's shipping prismatic or actually see the pack come out of a working Model 3)

It wasn't a teardown, it was an inspection done at a 3rd-party facility, during which Sandy and his team were given extensive, detailed views of the CATL LFP pack (and LFP modules within):

LFP Module detail (time-indexed video)

Cheers!

My view:

Elon's layoff announcement last week instilled (completely irrational) views that Tesla demand is hurting and the company is collapsing.

Lithium and battery purchase news has allayed those fears. You don't sign big raw material and battery agreements if you don't have demand.

Stock market dumb. Us be smart. The reality is we're just way ahead of the general market.

That's what's so cool about this forum--it basically turns us all into financial clairvoyants while the rest of the market discovers what we already knew months after the fact.
TL: DR

Stock market dumb. Us be smart.

:)

I thought so too, but have less definitive evidence that is currently the case. Certainly, Elon has tweeted recently that, over time, about 2/3rds of Tesla will use Iron cathodes, and 1/3rd will use Nickel.

When that occurs is a business decision I think, with Giga Nevada easily able to continue providing 2170 (Nickel) SR+ packs, and with CATL having to ship their LFP packs from China. Of course, we know that CATL does intend to build a LFP bty plant in N. America, which I think seals the deal.

I just hope that Elon realizes the VALUE of a STD RGE Semi, with an Iron cathode battery. Bank that carbon!

Cheers to the longs!

P.S. FOMO in progress:

View attachment 814125

Lots of folks have their eye on 800 by Fri. Hoping for some volume, we'll see.

1654698830598.png

And I've linked to where the actual discussion starts.

I'm still not convinced that this is shipping in Tesla cars (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, I'm hard to please, I'm an engineer and I need Elon to say he's shipping prismatic or actually see the pack come out of a working Model 3)
They are shipping in the short range Model 3 for sure. Even references to it in the manual.

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 10.37.39 AM.jpg