Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla demand likely to increase in UK & elsewhere. Equivalent to $8+/US gallon

Cost of filling average petrol car (55 litres/14.5295 US gallons) will breach £100/$125.43 soon.

Probably costs around £20 at home to fill a Model 3 Long Range. Maybe £40 if using Superchargers (guess).

United Kingdom gasoline prices, 06-Jun-2022 | GlobalPetrolPrices.com - UK average is now higher at £1.8073 / litre, world average is £1.57/litre - so many places will be looking at EVs/Tesla now.

United Kingdom Gasoline prices, 06-Jun-2022​

United Kingdom Gasoline prices
Litre
Gallon
GBP
1.756​
6.647​
USD
2.199​
8.324​
EUR
2.056​
7.783​
U.S. Gallon
Gasoline prices per litre, octane-95: We show prices for United Kingdom from 28-Feb-2022 to 06-Jun-2022. The average value for United Kingdom during that period was 1.64 U.K. Pound Sterling with a minimum of 1.51 U.K. Pound Sterling on 28-Feb-2022 and a maximum of 1.76 U.K. Pound Sterling on 06-Jun-2022. For comparison, the average price of gasoline in the world for this period is 1.57 U.K. Pound Sterling. Use the drop menu to see the prices in gallons.

They actually extended it through Feb 28th, 2022. I had a SR M3 rental in Atlanta at the end of Feb and supercharged it multiple times. Was confirmed on the paperwork at the time that Supercharging was included.

And that car, also, had a LFP battery (per the battery gauge info you listed).

My understanding is that this information isn’t currently accurate.

Other members here have reported that Hertz auto bills the SC fees to the same payment source as the CC on file for the rental.

Which makes me think Tesla wrote some code for Hertz to allow for this.

Well that makes good sense since it is now well after Jan 31st, 2022. Charging is so cheap that even a 97% recharge needed upon return of a 60 kwh SR+ would be < $20 and perhaps even far less if Hertz has wholesale electricity contracts. It's overall a great biz for them, and they have the 1st mover advantage now too.

Cheers!

My understanding is that this information isn’t currently accurate.

Other members here have reported that Hertz auto bills the SC fees to the same payment source as the CC on file for the rental.

Which makes me think Tesla wrote some code for Hertz to allow for this.
Might or might not be Tesla writing code - pretty sure that you can get all the necessary information on supercharging via the Tesla API likes Teslafi does, then map the combination of car+date to a customer on the Hertz side of things to bill them. At most perhaps there needed to be a better handling of fleets via the API if there is an issue with a single account having 100's or 1000's of vehicles, or managing an account-per-vehicle, or some other awkwardness.

Well that makes good sense since it is now well after Jan 31st, 2022. Charging is so cheap that even a 97% recharge needed upon return of a 60 kwh SR+ would be < $20 and perhaps even far less if Hertz has wholesale electricity contracts. It's overall a great biz for them, and they have the 1st mover advantage now too.

Cheers!

That was also an interesting part of my rental back in Feb. Don't know if it is standard practice still, but they didn't care what SoC I brought the car back with, because they just pull it in back and plugged it into a bank of L2 chargers.

Okay, this cracks me up...

First idea that crossed my (addled) mind would be for whoever is providing the destination charger to offer a "dollar equivalent" of gas or diesel.

So, take the average cost of 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full charge and provide a gift card equal to the cost of that amount of electricity, based upon filling the customer's ICE vehicle from the current level of their tank.

This would then be a great advertising tool, showing ICE owners the value of filling a BEV compared to what the cost is for fueling an ICE.

In a perfect world this would be hilarious to watch from a safe distance as the ICE owner gets, say, a voucher for $10 to top up their tank.

No free EV charging on government property without also dispensing free gasoline. It's only fair, LOL!

That's hilarious and it just shows how furious these anti-EV people get when they see how cheaply we can refuel, even if it's only slow charging at a 30 amp level 2 charge station. I propose the solution is to install gas pumps that take 12 hours to fill the tank. And make sure that handle locking devices are illegal for safety reasons so the motorist has to stand there and squeeze the pump handle the entire time they are getting "free gas".

I would be surprised if this bill passes into law. But, if it does, North Carolina gets on my "stupid States" list. 🤪

How does the billing work for Hertz rental, supercharging?
I was able to just plug into the Supercharger and charge, just like with my own car. I believe they charged me for it when I returned the car. There is an item on the receipt "EV Misc. Fees" that looks like the right amount ($34 for 305 miles).

No free EV charging on government property without also dispensing free gasoline. It's only fair, LOL!

That's hilarious and it just shows how furious these anti-EV people get when they see how cheaply we can refuel, even if it's only slow charging at a 30 amp level 2 charge station. I propose the solution is to install gas pumps that take 12 hours to fill the tank. And make sure that handle locking devices are illegal for safety reasons so the motorist has to stand there and squeeze the pump handle the entire time they are getting "free gas".

I would be surprised if this bill passes into law. But, if it does, North Carolina gets on my "stupid States" list. 🤪
I 100% agree - proposals like this are incredibly stupid and backward-moving. But reductionist thinking like putting a state on a "stupid States" list is dangerous. There is a massive fight going on now as the FF interests guard their rears. And I have no doubt that fight is playing out in real time in the NC legislature as well, which like all our legislatures must contain a mix of both pro- and anti- EV representatives.
If this POS passes, it just means that the planet-killing interests won a small round in a much bigger, multi-dimensional fight. It may mean that the gerrymandering in NC (worse that most anywhere else in the US IIRC) got Republicans another couple of years of keeping us on the oil train. It means the lege isn't doing its job of tackling actual problems for the actual future.
It does NOT mean NC is stupid, IMHO. I see too many "write those stupid XXX people off" comments, on this and many other boards. I find them emotionally gratifying but dangerously simplistic and in the final analysis, unhelpful in the fight to wean us off FF.

(@StealthP3D This is not intended as a personal criticism, and I appreciate your great many thoughtful contributions to this group. This is more of a built-up response to many offhand posts that I see; we need to stop writing each other off IMHO)

I was able to just plug into the Supercharger and charge, just like with my own car. I believe they charged me for it when I returned the car. There is an item on the receipt "EV Misc. Fees" that looks like the right amount ($34 for 305 miles).

Glad Hertz kept it stupid simple. Love the free "aha" moment for the Hertz customer plugging into an SC for the first time.

Glad Hertz kept it stupid simple. Love the free "aha" moment for the Hertz customer plugging into an SC for the first time.
I think people underestimate how valuable Tesla's seamless charging experience is. Last time I had to fuel up in my Subaru it had been 6+ months since I fueled it up. I'd forgotten the whole gas-station dance. It was embarrassing.

I 100% agree - proposals like this are incredibly stupid and backward-moving. But reductionist thinking like putting a state on a "stupid States" list is dangerous. There is a massive fight going on now as the FF interests guard their rears. And I have no doubt that fight is playing out in real time in the NC legislature as well, which like all our legislatures must contain a mix of both pro- and anti- EV representatives.

FWIW, any rep can "introduce" any crazy thing they want.

This happens all the time, in lots of states.

Most of these bills go exactly no where- nothing "plays out" in the legislature at all except all the crazy ideas getting dumped off to a committee to die and never see any debate, let alone a vote.

Which is fully what I expect to happen to this specific bill.

I think people underestimate how valuable Tesla's seamless charging experience is. Last time I had to fuel up in my Subaru it had been 6+ months since I fueled it up. I'd forgotten the whole gas-station dance. It was embarrassing.
I binged on Out of Spec motoring reviews, long distance EV races. Electrify America and whatever non-SC networks they used was very clunky, complete opposite of seamless. Tap charge on app first, no tap the screen first. Is it starting? App says unavailable. Barely see what's on the charging screen because of the sun. Plug, unplug, kill app, move to next stall, etc.

I binged on Out of Spec motoring reviews, long distance EV races. Electrify America and whatever non-SC networks they used was very clunky, complete opposite of seamless. Tap charge on app first, no tap the screen first. Is it starting? App says unavailable. Barely see what's on the charging screen because of the sun. Plug, unplug, kill app, move to next stall, etc.
It is hard for me to get a good grasp of how big an issue this is with other car makers. I see some videos like this, but I also hear a lot of people claim the videos only show the bad moments and it is mostly fine. Without dealing with it myself I try not to criticize.

But I suspect fast charging super consistent chargers will be a big competitive advantage for Tesla's for some time.

Reactions: wipster
It is hard for me to get a good grasp of how big an issue this is with other car makers. I see some videos like this, but I also hear a lot of people claim the videos only show the bad moments and it is mostly fine. Without dealing with it myself I try not to criticize.

But I suspect fast charging super consistent chargers will be a big competitive advantage for Tesla's for some time.

Yes, I do admit, I never use SC, just home charging. Home charging for most any EV will be seamless and that these long distance videos are not the norm. I'm just saying, these videos paint non-SC in a bad light. Hertz supercharging paints Tesla in a good light. I love that the SC network doubles as a marketing tool.

Speaking of Max Pain, next week looks like some copy cat scheme. Is this normal?

View attachment 814136
For monthlies that is a normal distribution. Quarterlies tend to have some lotto spikes as people have bought them a long time ago.

The (very) weird monthly is August 19th. Seems some people are placing bets for the annual meeting.

Yes, I do admit, I never use SC, just home charging. Home charging for most any EV will be seamless and that these long distance videos are not the norm. I'm just saying, these videos paint non-SC in a bad light. Hertz supercharging paints Tesla in a good light. I love that the SC network doubles as a marketing tool.
I don’t know why would you say road tripping is not a norm. A lot of people road trip year around and especially during holidays. I travel at least once a year GA to NJ and back. Supercharger network never let me down and was easy and simple experience from day one.