Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t know why would you say road tripping is not a norm. A lot of people road trip year around and especially during holidays. I travel at least once a year GA to NJ and back. Supercharger network never let me down and was easy and simple experience from day one.

Sorry, wrong choice of words. I meant majority of charging needs is met by home charging for in town use.

Sorry, wrong choice of words. I meant majority of charging needs is met by home charging for in town use.
Number of days, yes. Number of miles, sometimes, maybe. In my case, the 2013 was close to 50% commute/town and 50% trip. The current 2020 X has 29,000 miles of which maybe 2,500 are around town.

Those camera modules are going to be pretty bare bones, with filters and image processors removed--since the FSD NNs are now using raw photons instead of processed images as inputs into the neural nets.

That will drop the cost of their camera components even further.
What about when its showing the rear view or the side view on a lane change? Or Sentry Mode? Don't they still need image processors etc.? or is that 'basic' and you are talking about something special for FSD?

Those camera modules are going to be pretty bare bones, with filters and image processors removed--since the FSD NNs are now using raw photons instead of processed images as inputs into the neural nets.

They will still have color filters and the image processing was done on the FSD computer.
FSD AP improvements in upcoming v11 from Lex Fridman interview
New cameras are higher resolution and may have LED anti-flicker tech.
Tesla's FSD hardware 4.0 to use cameras with LED flicker mitigation

Those camera modules are going to be pretty bare bones, with some filters and image processors removed--since the FSD NNs are now using raw photons instead of processed images as inputs into the neural nets.

Then again, thinking about it--maybe not...since the cameras will still be used for turn signal cameras, security cameras, etc--so will still need those things to look "palatable" for humans.

Edit: As pointed out, they'll still wants some of that stuff due to the use of the cameras for more human purposes.

(Mongo, I didn't mean they'd get rid of all filters, but maybe some--but again, I rescind that statement anyway).

BRUSSELS, June 8 (Reuters) - European Parliament lawmakers on Wednesday voted to support an effective EU ban on the sale of new petrol and diesel cars from 2035, rejecting attempts to weaken the proposal to speed Europe's shift to electric vehicles.

From a Google news blurb.

Source in Norwegian: EU vedtok framtidig forbud mot salg av bensin- og dieselbiler – VG Nå: Nyhetsdøgnet

Older background article from the EU Observer: EU wants to ban new fossil-fuel cars from 2035

Only other source I found was Reuters and I'm hesistant to link to those dimwits. So I let google translate from Norwegian:

The European Parliament decided on Wednesday to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel cars in the EU after 2035, to protests from conservative parties.
Last year, the European Commission put forward a proposal to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel cars as part of its ambitious plan to cut harmful greenhouse gas emissions by 90 percent by 2035. On Wednesday, the proposal was adopted by 339 to 249 votes, while 24 representatives abstained.
The EPP, the largest group of conservative parties in the European Parliament, did not gain a majority for a compromise proposal that would have allowed the sale of hybrid images even after 2035.
Cars currently account for 12 per cent of the total CO₂ emissions of the EU's 27 member states, while the transport sector as a whole accounts for around 25 per cent of the emissions. (NTB)

Last edited:
Okay, this cracks me up...

First idea that crossed my (addled) mind would be for whoever is providing the destination charger to offer a "dollar equivalent" of gas or diesel.
".....entity unless the county or the person or entity provides gasoline or diesel fuel for motor vehicles through a pump to the public at no charge"
I'll go put a empty "pump" of hand sanitizer at each EV charging location in NC and then just say it's a diesel container and the 500 ml tank is empty waiting to get refilled. Boom, loophole: Problem solved.

1654719924228.png

US crude oil supplies were higher last week than the week before, due mostly to higher imports and the strategic reserve release.

Refined product supplies were considerably higher last week. Mostly diesel and "other oils".

Those were the two primary results in this week's EIA report. WTI popped ~3.5% on the news. Lol.....tell me these markets aren't rigged.

This award is reportedly cross platform: S, 3, X, Y, CT, Semi.
Samsung wins multi-billion-dollar camera module deal from Tesla

If we guesstimate $50 a camera, $400 a vehicle, $3.2 billion is 8 million vehicles.

There is not a chance in hell each camera will be anywhere near $50, probably closer to $5. A quick Google search brought up this:

If we figure $10 to be conservative (we don't know what else the camera modules contain) we are up to 80 million vehicles. What we don't know is the timeframe.

There is not a chance in hell each camera will be anywhere near $50, probably closer to $5. A quick Google search brought up this:

If we figure $10 to be conservative (we don't know what else the camera modules contain) we are up to 80 million vehicles. What we don't know is the timeframe.
1. Yeah, I was being conservative (current tricam is estimated at $65 for 3)
2. Automotive grade vs consumer
3. Housings with design and tooling
4. Requires automotive grade interface, not raw(ish) flat flex
5. Connector
6. Support
7. Warranty
8. Markup
9. Inflation
10. Packaging

80 million vehicles would be an >5 year contract.

Or one cybertruck with really really good vision.
And terrible range/ payload.

No nonsense, well balanced article from CNN Business's Peter Valdes-Dapena, June 8th, 2022. Refreshing to read an article about BEVs without any Tesla or Elon bashing.

An Electric Car Finally Makes Financial Sense

Summary:
BEVs cost 1/5 the amount to re-charge compared with ICE to re-fuel
BEVs are 85% efficient compared with ICE at 40% efficiency
BEVs are 1/2 the cost to maintain compared with ICE (My experience is 1/10 the cost to maintain my BEV compared with my ICE)
Slightly higher initial cost for comparable BEV compared with ICE, difference pays for itself within one year of ownership.
Mention "Teslas retain their value very well".

No nonsense, well balanced article from CNN Business's Peter Valdes-Dapena, June 8th, 2022. Refreshing to read an article about BEVs without any Tesla or Elon bashing.

An Electric Car Finally Makes Financial Sense

Summary:
BEVs cost 1/5 the amount to re-charge compared with ICE to re-fuel
BEVs are 85% efficient compared with ICE at 40% efficiency
BEVs are 1/2 the cost to maintain compared with ICE (My experience is 1/10 the cost to maintain my BEV compared with my ICE)
Slightly higher initial cost for comparable BEV compared with ICE, difference pays for itself within one year of ownership.
Mention "Teslas retain their value very well".

My only beef with the above is that 40% efficiency for ICE is REALLY pushing it, even for diesel. Most are closer to 25% energy extraction from the breaking of said chemical bonds, with the majority of the energy of course being lost to heat.

Otherwise, nice to see a non-bashing article about EVs.

My only beef with the above is that 40% efficiency for ICE is REALLY pushing it, even for diesel. Most are closer to 25% energy extraction from the breaking of said chemical bonds, with the majority of the energy of course being lost to heat.

Otherwise, nice to see a non-bashing article about EVs.

Then you factor in transmission losses and it gets closer to 20%

Not a peep about naked shorting, just plans to protect the Melvin Capital's of the world. Predictable.

Of course the Madoff Exception isn't impacted.