Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm skeptical. They haven't rolled out the new chemistry yet so these aren't going to be super efficient.

There are cars in the wild though. They are getting charged and we will find out soon. It's super easy to check this. Just run one down and charge it.

Yeah, I'm taking it with a truckload of salt. Seems too good to be true.

True, since the 4680s already seem to be surpassing the 2170s on peak C rate (3.3 for 4680 vs 3.0 for 2170), and equivalent on average C rate (2170 is about 1.25 C from 10%-80% [average of 103 kW], and this charging session demonstrated 1.24 C from 10%-80% [about 84 kW average rate]).

I'm already impressed by the charging curve. We don't need to be banking on it improving with software.

We also need to think about the other targets for 4860 Model Y production:-
  • Lower costs / higher margins.
  • Smaller pack size / less weight and raw materials.
  • Rapid scaling of volumes with the lowest possible capex and a low risk manner.
We could argue that these targets as just as important as how fast the car charges and the aim might be to be significantly better than a Model Y produced in Shanghai/Fremont/Berlin.

As 4680 production ramps, up and we have additional innovations introduced, like more silicone in the anode the charging speeds might improve.

If I had to choose, lower cost and less raw materials are more important in terms of the mission, as long as the end product is good enough.

Yeah, I'm taking it with a truckload of salt. Seems too good to be true.
Current Model Y is 270 Wh/mi.

If the 4680 MY has only 50 kWh and range of 279 miles it would be 179 Wh/mi.

That is an absolutely giant leap in efficiency. Seems like something Tesla or someone would have mentioned by now.

One of the problems with the Tesla Twitter community is some of the louder voices tend to rebroadcast good news with little to no effort to verify it.

Hmmm - speculation that Austin Ys are using 50kWh packs.
They aren't.
Supercharging video already showed it taking 59 kWh from 9% to 97%. So it can't be 50 kWh.

That is an absolutely giant leap in efficiency. Seems like something Tesla or someone would have mentioned by now.
Exactly. It's impossible that the larger heavier Model Y is more efficient than a Model 3. It's not a 50 or 55 kWh pack.

Current Model Y is 270 Wh/mi.

One of the problems with the Tesla Twitter community is some of the louder voices tend to rebroadcast good news with little to no effort to verify it.
Or wildly speculate with a tilt that they’ve heard it’s true! 50 kWh just doesn’t pass the sniff test. 55 could but really tight. 60 makes a lot of sense (or 59 with a round down on the model)

Assuming 10% loss. That would show 60 kWh. 20% would be 55ish. To me, 60 passes the sniff test all around.

Just looked it up, and I'm pretty sure the +kWh display on the vehicle screen reports only the energy actually used by the vehicle and is already net of losses. The vehicle saw +59 kWh enter the pack from 9% to 97%.

So unless the Model Y AWD expends a ton of energy cooling the cells, I don't think it could be far off of 67 kWh usable.

The 4680 doesn't need to have amazing energy density or charge speed to be an incredible innovation. It can be an innovation in terms of cost and ease of manufacturing.

178 lbs is not "much". 4%. "slightly" is a more appropriate adjective.
People spend a lot of money to drop that much weight on cars for performance reasons. I think nearly 200lbs dropped is pretty great. 2170 pack weights 1060lbs. So if half that savings is from the pack and half from the castings, then it looks even better. Obv things like seats, motors, etc. are unchanged.

Just looked it up, and I'm pretty sure the +kWh display on the vehicle screen reports only the energy actually used by the vehicle and is already net of losses. The vehicle saw +59 kWh enter the pack from 9% to 97%.

So unless the Model Y AWD expends a ton of energy cooling the cells, I don't think it could be far off of 67 kWh usable.

The 4680 doesn't need to have amazing energy density or charge speed to be an incredible innovation. It can be an innovation in terms of cost and ease of manufacturing.
I’m 99% sure it is what you’re charged (matches my receipts on supercharging). Which would be delivered to the vehicle, not delivered to pack. So various charging losses would be included.

Reactions: ThisStockGood
I’m 99% sure it is what you’re charged (matches my receipts on supercharging). Which would be delivered to the vehicle, not delivered to pack. So various charging losses would be included.

This is the best article I can find on the subject, where they used a Chademo adapter so they could see the kWh reported by the EA station vs the kWh reported by the vehicle screen:

In the end, the Electrify America charging station showed 39 kWh dispensed, and the Model 3's display screen showed 35 kWh received, for a difference of 4 kWh.

My Model S used 68 Wh/mile for 30 miles driving very carefully; hypermiling vs. normally 280 at 77 mph. I needed to get to a supercharger since I don't like my SOC below 10%.
I amazed myself. THIS level would calculate to over 1300 miles for my 90 kw Tesla. I would need more downhill though LOL.
In relation to other chargers I can only say I think they put them in to discourage EV sales. I don't trust this billion dollar expansion of generic chargers using taxpayer money. The ones they have now are bulky, heavy and hard to use besides being slow if they even work.
I love the 250 kWh Tesla SCs which have an easy to plug in connector. Fossil fools are repeating the same thing expecting a different result. I believe that is the definition of insanity.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-09 6.44.14 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-09 6.44.14 PM.png
    563.1 KB · Views: 70
This is the best article I can find on the subject, where they used a Chademo adapter so they could see the kWh reported by the EA station vs the kWh reported by the vehicle screen:

I’ve personally had 42 kWh and gotten 48% charge on an 18 M3P (so ~75 kWh pack). That was just in March. On a V3, the discrepancy tends to be higher on % vs kWh… which makes sense with cooling losses.

People spend a lot of money to drop that much weight on cars for performance reasons. I think nearly 200lbs dropped is pretty great. 2170 pack weights 1060lbs. So if half that savings is from the pack and half from the castings, then it looks even better. Obv things like seats, motors, etc. are unchanged.
Agree, automakers pay a lot for a few pounds for many reasons. 178 lbs is a lot but keep in mind you have given up 50 miles of range.

Still would be nice to see a LR AWD on the same scale. A 4000 lb car on a truck scale may have some inaccuracies.