Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nasdaq might have found support. Looks pretty weak to me, but 11,330 held multiple times and had declining sell volume. Roughly in line with May 11th and May 25th pivots. Re-taking 11,400 and better yet 11,450 would show some strength in this area of the market.

As I said though, it looks pretty weak and if it fails we look bound to re-test 11k.

And here is another re-test.

Last edited:
Possibly OT.... Bob is advising me to sell some TSLA and invest in BYND (Beyond Meat) - I'm in a cashless situation, so would have to sell a small amount, unlikely but curious. It's a story quite similar to TSLA actually.

BYND currently has 40% short interest and is seen as a threaten to existing markets. If cost of meat rises, those veggie versions may grow some legs. Still not profitable, but methane and cruelty getting more attention among the woke. There seems to be many parallels, meat-lovers/gas lovers, regions on the map, FUD, very high float etc. I guess any status quo revenue stream is heavily defended, but honestly their burgers are tasty. So I ask, what's different here? Also consider the cost of a BYND Option could make it attractive to a much larger crowd than TSLA should things turn around.

I doubt I'll sell TSLA, but BYND is looking tasty.

Possibly OT.... Bob is advising me to sell some TSLA and invest in BYND (Beyond Meat) - I'm in a cashless situation, so would have to sell a small amount, unlikely but curious. It's a story quite similar to TSLA actually.

BYND currently has 40% short interest and is seen as a threaten to existing markets. If cost of meat rises, those veggie versions may grow some legs. Still not profitable, but methane and cruelty getting more attention among the woke. There seems to be many parallels, meat-lovers/gas lovers, regions on the map, FUD, very high float etc. I guess any status quo revenue stream is heavily defended, but honestly their burgers are tasty. So I ask, what's different here? Also consider the cost of a BYND Option could make it attractive to a much larger crowd than TSLA should things turn around.

You want to drive a Tesla, right?
You want a solar roof and powerwalls, right?
You think FSD will be awesome, right?
Do you want to eat Beyond Meat?

Who’s bank account is bigger, yours or Bob’s?

Do they have a sustainable competitive advantage?
Not really. Without pricing power the business
is less attractive. Bty, I am vegan.

Busted growth story ;)

Do you have a link to an article where tesla said it exceeded expectations? I must’ve missed that.

Just this from the earnings call. Maybe "Exceeded" was generous. Very clearly they are happy with the progress in terms of CapEx and operating cost savings.
Drew: (22:16)
Yeah. We’re working in all the areas we shared on battery day and we have consistent progress across all of those areas towards achieving the five year cost trajectory goals for the costs within our control, but we do not control all of the commodity costs, so that’s an exception I need to call out. Similar to Model 3, it will take us several years to get rate and yields to the point where everything that we’ve discussed is achieved. Our priority was on simplicity and scale during our initial 4680 and structural battery ramps and as we attain our manufacturing goals, we will layer in new material technologies we are developing and higher range structural pack revisions.
Elon Musk: (23:02)
I think maybe in a nutshell, I think it probably is fair to say that 4680 and structural pack will be competitive with the best alternatives later this year and we think will exceed the best alternatives next year.
Drew: (23:23)
Yeah. I mean we have some good existing proofs. We’ve built the facility here in Texas, we know how much we spent on capital equipment in the facility, and it’s more than 5x less than prior technology installation, so we’re saving huge on CapEx. On utilities and personnel, we know what those loads are and how many people are needed to run what is basically a highly automized factory, and we have massive reductions in both of those. So the cost model is well understood. It’s really about rate and yield, which will come in time, as Elon said, over the course of this year and next.

Forward Observing

The problem is getting out in the world instead of being held up in our basement.

Over the years I would get excited seeing truck loads of Teslas heading north. But over the last month I have seen more temporary paper cars on the local streets here in Olympia, Washington. Newly released into the wild Teslas compared to truck loads enroute. That is a tipping point.
Living in Eugene Oregon, we see truckloads of Teslas heading north up to you and Portand all the time. When we were heading south on 5 on a trip to California we decided to count truckloads going north while we were heading south. At some point we switched the game to comparing number of individual cars spotted in the wild versus truckloads.

It was a fun road trip game and the individual cars absolutely trounced the truckloads going north. We saw 5 truckloads to Teslas and over 120 individual cars. And we know this is going to double again over the next year...

Do they have a sustainable competitive advantage?
Not really. Without pricing power the business
is less attractive. Bty, I am vegan.
So important. Tesla isn't just a player who found a niche early. They have been so good at creating competitive advantage and keeping their foot on the accelerator their entire life.

Most of the CCS standards players are incentivized to make BEVs as lame as possible so gas cars remain relevant. Denise has problems plugging in her standard J1772 into her 2015 Leaf. I suspect the CCS plug will keep a lot of ladies from getting a BEV.
Well all the ladies around me in Europe seem to be coping just fine. And even the gents are able to manage here with CCS. Is there something different about the human physique in North America ?

So important. Tesla isn't just a player who found a niche early. They have been so good at creating competitive advantage and keeping their foot on the accelerator their entire life.
Agree, and moreover they gained a first mover advantage, making it very
diffuct for startups to compete on price unless they reach scale,
and the encumbents cant
afford to switch from profitable ice production to unprofitable EV production.

When I compare TSLA's financials to BYND, it looks to me like: TSLA is a super strong financially sound company with tons of advantages and growth opportunities which are nearly guaranteed, while BYND looks weak financially to me with poor future prospects, tons of competition, and a questionable growth/survival story.

Why anyone would even contemplate selling TSLA to buy BYND is a mystery to me? 🤔

And I say that as someone who rather likes Beyond burgers.

Nasdaq might have found support. Looks pretty weak to me, but 11,330 held multiple times and had declining sell volume. Roughly in line with May 11th and May 25th pivots. Re-taking 11,400 and better yet 11,450 would show some strength in this area of the market.

As I said though, it looks pretty weak and if it fails we look bound to re-test 11k.

And here is another re-test.
Maybe the Vix is hitting resistance right now putting in a lower high which might coincide with the market putting in a higher low.

Reactions: Bunky and SN_8

presumably you have been researching TSLA for at least 6 years based on join date and you have made over 4000 posts ... so i would reckon you know a lot about investing in TSLA

I would ask you this ... "how much do you know about beyond meat relative to your Tesla knowledge .... the fact that is has meat in its name feels to me to be a trick ...

I am selling Rocket lab right now at a loss to pick up more of these TSLA discounted shares... because i know very little about Rocket lab ... relative to TSLA .. basically i had no business investing in Rocket Lab because i dont fundamentally understand the Space industry ... so i am taking losses and moving on to a stock i know will appreciate in the coming years