Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone here honestly come up with anything of value that the Tesla board contributes? Only time I ever see their names is when they're cashing-in their shares.

Seem like a bunch of freeloaders to me, but I'm open to being corrected on that

Yeah, Hiro Mizuno (Tesla Investor Relations) was almost certainly the architect of the Aug 2020 Share Dividend and Bear trap. So there's that (rince'n'repeat twice).

My takeaway is that this is the board's way of telling investors that we'll all be involved anytime in the future there is a split, at least the next time around.

I was expecting / hoping for more like an increase to 100B authorized shares so the board could split several times in desired multiples, without needing a shareholder vote each time.

Yeah, it seems they picked the path that gives max warning, every time, to the very people some folks in here think are the ones the board instead wants to repeatedly bear trap. Pretty weird reconciling both ideas.

Can anyone here honestly come up with anything of value that the Tesla board contributes? Only time I ever see their names is when they're cashing-in their shares.

Seem like a bunch of freeloaders to me, but I'm open to being corrected on that

Its the board who makes and decides on the companys strategy plans in all parts of the business.

And then its the CEO and all employees mission to execute the plans.

Only because Elon wants to be the only one in the spotlight doesn`t mean other parts of the company like the board, finance etc., does any less than in other companies.

Be more impressive if they don’t go bankrupt or get bought and absorbed/dismantled. How impressive was the Model S when it came out, and yet -
My take on Rivian is, stage they are at now with kind of money in the bank(17B) will make them kind of complacent , Frugality and efficiency comes under pressure. Wall street will not reward stock price unless company exceed expectation on all front.

Its the board who makes and decides on the companys strategy plans in all parts of the business.

And then its the CEO and all employees mission to execute the plans.

Only because Elon wants to be the only one in the spotlight doesn`t mean other parts of the company like the board, finance etc., does any less than in other companies.
That's the theory. I think what happens in most cases is that the executives present a plan to the board and then it gets rubber stamped. If the board really did their job, there would be no golden parachutes and executive compensation would be based on the long term health of the company.

It really couldn't be any other way. Unless someone can think of a way Tesla could have added a bunch of drying ovens, solvent recovery and refining tanks and increased the manufacturing sq. ft. massively without anyone noticing.

Agreed, but my point was more along the lines of "Tesla is the only 4680 producer right now". We don't know if Panasonic's in-house 4680 cells will be DBE or wet, but currently they are only in the early prototyping stage.

I hope so. This is a slightly better outcome than the basket, though I guess the OCC will confirm what happens once the split is ratified. The odd strikes will still get non liquid as there won't be ready buyers other than MMs.
Perhaps there will be some public customers turned off by the unusual strike price but all options contracts suffer large bid-ask spreads because (even in the case of TSLA) they are, relatively speaking, thinly traded because there are so many different ones. But the spreads will never get too far out of whack because that means the risk-reward in trading inside the spread is greatly improved.

People like round numbers so it's common to see a deeper market (larger open interest and larger trading volumes) for strikes like 500, 600, 700, 800. But every one who already bought or sold such a contract will potentially be a participant for trading those contracts (just on the other side that they entered). So if those strikes have high open interest they will still have a relatively larger market after the split. Worst case, something like an old 500 strike is reduced to a status comparable to an old 485 strike. So what. The 485 will be yet worse off but it was always a thin market and will remain so unless and until it nears expiration and TSLA's price is near its strike at that time.

"Tesla is expanding the vision only technology to AU and NZ" is what the reddit post said, I see AU mentioned in this link but not NZ.

Affects Model 3 and Model Y vehicles built from June 2022 for the Australian market

Yeah, it seems they picked the path that gives max warning, every time, to the very people some folks in here think are the ones the board instead wants to repeatedly bear trap. Pretty weird reconciling both ideas.
I wonder if that extended heads up avoids a big squeeze, while also creating the desired end result. The rolling naked short gets cleared ahead of the split, and then has to be restarted. Do that enough times and maybe the big rolling naked short just goes back on the shelf.

Article about high fuel prices in remote areas of UK. 208.7p / litre for petrol & 221.7p/litre for diesel.

Edit: Adding spoiler & this note: it won't take much for fuel infrastructure economics to collapse. Once it hits a certain point, ICE are stranded.
You ain't kid'n.

Motorists left stranded on the road as soaring gas prices run tanks on empty

"In May, the Canadian Automobile Association (CAA) reported a rise in stranded motorists with over 1,000 cases reported—a jump from 732 cases reported in 2021."

The CAA has 6.5 million customers in Canada. So at 1,000 "run out of gas" cases per month, that equates to one out of every 541 ICE running out of gas and stranded on our roads every year. And they said BEV owners had range anxiety. Sheesh.

Pretty impressive!

It's difficult to take an article seriously that says stupid things like this:

No matter if you like going off-road or not, buying a truck in America is something you’ll want to do. It’s a versatile machine. You’ll be able to do your grocery shopping in peace, while also having the confidence that there’s no job out there that you can’t reach or a decently sized load you can’t tow.

Because no one should have to feel uneasy while grocery shopping in a ordinary frickin' car or go to their deathbed without towing heavy loads all over the place (even if you don't need to go off-road)! :rolleyes:

Or, is it, "Buying a truck in America is something you'll want to do because as soon as American truck buying slows down much more, legacy auto will go bankrupt, and our automotive media company will not be far behind."?

I was curious about how desperate Autoevolution.com was to extend legacy sales so I clicked on this article in the sidebar:

It had lots of scary stuff about how tires on some cars cost a lot of money. The only car it featured in terms of specific cost of ownership was a SR+ Tesla Model 3. It came with this nifty infographic:

1654971364381.png

What's wrong with this picture?

Sure, you could take issue with a number of these expenses as being exaggerated but what kind of idiot includes the down-payment of $4,500 as part of the $22,264 cost of ownership over 3 years when the full purchase price and the cost of depreciation is already included? The down payment is part of the purchase cost. That's not subjective, that's just a fact.

I trust those of you who did the basic math found the obvious lie without needing the spoiler. The fight to transition to clean renewable energy is far from "won" when you have an entire auto industry, including the automotive media, trying to slow it down. Mary Barra, when asked how they can make the transition to EV's when they have so many worthless ICE assets to wind down and write-off quipped that they had 14 years to make the transition. The scary part is, I think she still believes that!

My take is this transition is going to happen so quickly that all the government giveaways and EV incentives that can be thrown at legacy ICE companies are not going to save GM. Yet still, the ICE industry fights back to slow it down with articles acting like every American must buy a truck at least once (obviously) and that EV's have a shockingly high cost of ownership. They can't make that case honestly, so they just flat out lie and bank on the fact that their target audience doesn't like to do basic math.

Last edited:
… When this is all done, Tesla may emerge as the largest company on the Planet.*

Cheers to the Longs!

*Pressurized Cybertruck (SpaceX Ed.) will be roving Mars by 2029, so this implies a timeline for the above claim. ;)

Biggest company on both planets? Biggest in the solar system?

Then people will just be complaining about multi-planetary conglomerates dominating the solar system.

I wonder if that extended heads up avoids a big squeeze, while also creating the desired end result. The rolling naked short gets cleared ahead of the split, and then has to be restarted. Do that enough times and maybe the big rolling naked short just goes back on the shelf.
Always wonder how real is Naked shorting at this stage on Tesla, I get it when it was money loosing company but today's problems is more to do with growth stock getting punished due to macro condition.

It's difficult to take an article seriously that says stupid things like this:

Because no one should have to feel uneasy while grocery shopping in a ordinary frickin' car or go to their deathbed without towing heavy loads all over the place (even if you don't need to go off-road)! :rolleyes:

Or, is it, "Buying a truck in America is something you'll want to do because as soon as American truck buying slows down much more, legacy auto will go bankrupt, and our automotive media company will not be far behind."?

I was curious about how desperate Autoevolution.com was to extend legacy sales so I clicked on this article in the sidebar:

It had lots of scary stuff about how tires on some cars cost a lot of money. The only car it featured in terms of specific cost of ownership was a SR+ Tesla Model 3. It came with this nifty infographic:

View attachment 815479

What's wrong with this picture?

Sure, you could take issue with a number of these expenses as being exaggerated but what kind of idiot includes the down-payment of $4,500 as part of the $22,264 cost of ownership over 3 years when the full purchase price and the cost of depreciation is already included? The down payment is part of the purchase cost. That's not subjective, that's just a fact.

I trust those of you who did the basic math found the obvious lie without needing the spoiler. The fight to transition to clean renewable energy is far from "won" when you have an entire auto industry, including the automotive media, trying to slow it down. Mary Barra, when asked how they can make the transition to EV's when they have so many worthless ICE assets to wind down and write-off quipped that they had 14 years to make the transition. The scary part is, I think she still believes that!

My take is this transition is going to happen so quickly that all the government giveaways and EV incentives thaat can be thrown at legacy ICE companies are not going to save GM. Yet still, the ICE industry fights back to slow it down with articles acting like every American must buy a truck at least once (obviously) and that EV's have a shockingly high cost of ownership. They can't make that case honestly, so they just flat out lie and bank on the fact that their target audience doesn't like to do basic math.
I picked depreciation. Many anecdotal reports of sellers getting what they paid back in full.

My takeaway is that this is the board's way of telling investors that we'll all be involved anytime in the future there is a split, at least the next time around.

I was expecting / hoping for more like an increase to 100B authorized shares so the board could split several times in desired multiples, without needing a shareholder vote each time.

Don't completely rule out an even tastier possibility. That Tesla is purposefully creating an environment in which naked shorts will become complacent after the announced split. This leaves open the unexpected possibility that TSLA could split on short notice if conditions are ripe enough. Splits do not have to be whole numbers and Tesla has never shied away from doing thing differently or shaving things close to the skin. Their reluctance to raise capital in 2019, when everyone was screaming that they must, comes to mind. So, they could follow up this upcoming split with an impromptu 1.5:1 split (forcing an accounting of all naked shorts at the least expected time) or there may be enough shares to squeak out a 2:1 split by cutting it close. This would require following up with a shareholder vote for more authorized shares after the split for general corporate purposes.

My point is, TSLA has done many things in a non-traditional manner so don't assume things will always happen in an orderly and predictable fashion. The power of surprise is not something that Elon doesn't carry in his toolkit. This is not wishful thinking; it's supported by the evidence.