Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could be, but Wednesday probably has a higher chance. We get tomorrows PPI data that could still be spun as bad and if the Fed opens up the chance of a 75 bps increase, then all bets are off Wednesday.
The Fed is definitely looking at the core, which is trending down, and the other indicators that shed some light on future activity. So much of this has been the steady drumbeat of oil prices higher, and this is based on speculation only. I would say that oil could crater at any time, but will substitute that it WILL crater at some point. The Fed knows this. They just have to concentrate on slow and steady demand destruction (think is going pretty fast if you ask me) if they really believe they have a chance at a soft landing. Steady 50 basis point hikes will crush the economy and inflation at some point. Mixing in surprise 75s is basically a guaranteed hard landing, IMO.

The spinning is out of the Fed’s control, but no one should doubt that all the players in the market that basically control the financial media are short right now. Spinning will continue until truly sustained and massive reversal and interest rate stabilization. At that point they will all ask why retail wasn’t buying at the lows and how they did.

I think people here have been a bit insulated towards the inflation problem because of being invested in Tesla, and owning an EV shields from high gas prices, but for everyone else real wages are currently declining at the fastest pace in a very long time.
View attachment 816081

Real wages are declining so fast that another ~9 months at the current pace will have completely erased all of the gains since late 2015.

A coming recession was the easiest thing in the world to predict, as either collapsing real incomes or raising rates to combat it made it inevitable.
Is there a precedent in past recessions for what happens to a single rock-star standout like Tesla that defies all the other companies by growing and increasing profits during the recession that we might learn something from?

Edit - I realize this is a stupid question on the surface, but... I'm very new to investing.

Is there a precedent in past recessions for what happens to a single rock-star standout like Tesla that defies all the other companies by growing and increasing profits during the recession that we might learn something from?
Everything gets crushed in panic for liquidity. Some hold up better than others.

The rock stars lead the next bull market.

Edit - I realize this is a stupid question on the surface, but... I'm very new to investing.
Apple in the 2008 -09 period

Trying to recruit Elon to TMC. Low odds but hey, Stranger Things have happened like Gordon Johnson DMing me compliments!

Because of Elon’s propensity to numerology, politics and recent criticism of one particular political party, he’d be banned within hours of joining us here.

I can also see him gleefully joining in some bad poetry or contributing to “Bob” memes.

Have we reached max pain for the week? Asking for a friend...... :)
Max pain is ~$660 and the MM's have taken us down to an area where that can be achieved this week.

There's a glimmer of hope on the max pain horizon for next week tho. Someone bought a whole ton of $810c and now max pain is pegged there for 6/24. Yay?

• Helpful
Reactions: Electroman
At least $F and $GM are down a similar percentage....take that Mary and Farley!
Considering the Nasdaq is down ~4% and below lows and trying for ~6%... Tesla at ~650 and above lows is a victory right now. I'm not sure it holds as the market really seems to want the bottom to fall out, but right now I'll take the small victory. Powell's Fed speech has seemingly been the most important things for a few meetings now... it seems even more elevated this go round.

In an overall inflation note... Kroger's inventories this week will be interesting to watch. We've see retailers like Target, Walmart, TJX etc have massively inflating inventories. Kroger has as well, if that continues and Kroger has to implement similar steps as Target... that could be a turning point in inflation.
Food shelf life is limited, really doubt that will be an issue.

Reactions: generalenthu