Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please elaborate upon how you come to this conclusion. Do you mean land for installing solar?

IIRC, Tony Seba's calculations are that a 100 mi. sq. solar array will support the existing needs of the continental United States. That could easily be spread around to existing rooftops without purchasing any additional land.

Closer to a 100 mi square, not 100 square miles

EDIT- here’s how it compares existing land use:
6CDC3261-7724-4BD0-AEB5-CBE20ECC9311.jpeg

My take away from this discussion of scarcity is that land will be the next thing to be hoarded and which will block dreams of Star Trek-like social utopia.

The Trek "no scarcity of anything" thing never fully made sense anyway.... Picard owns a family vineyard on excellent growing land in France. Siskos dad a restaurant in the French Quarter of New Orleans. Only so much of such things exist, no matter how "free" your electricity is.

...The model 3 and Y are certainly popular, but if we get a model 2 here, maybe even a 2 door hatchback, with shorter range, lower acceleration but a much lower price, it will sell like crazy. I don't think this is vaguely a problem until Tesla hit 4/5 million cars a year, but I'd hope to see a smaller cheaper Tesla on offer around 2024ish if possible.
I'm thinking that vehicle will likely come from Chinese manufacturers before Tesla...

Reactions: Andy O
The Trek "no scarcity of anything" thing never fully made sense anyway.... Picard owns a family vineyard on excellent growing land in France. Siskos dad a restaurant in the French Quarter of New Orleans. Only so much of such things exist, no matter how "free" your electricity is.
There's plenty of scarcity in Star Trek. Last time I checked, you needed hytritium to treat certain types of groundwater contamination and that stuff ain't cheap! Wormholes are valuable and tolls collected for use.

No one's painting a utopia, it's just that scarcity won't dictate the majority of society like it does now. Oil is close to being everything now, and soon it'll be far closer to nothing.

View attachment 816186

Yes, it could be a rectangle. 😉

More than Golf, but less than the size of the National parks.

Equal to area used for Horses, or for Wildfires.

Significantly less than Rural and Urban Housing combined. (~30% of these rooftops is all that is needed to provide the nation's power)

View attachment 816186
Solar is compatible with many other use-cases. Lots of farming and grazing are compatible with solar installs. Some land is enhanced by the creation of shade.

Power use is going to massively increase as the cost of power comes down. It's going to be much more important to integrate solar with existing use cases then it is to find empty patches of earth. Solar covered highways might become a thing.

If California keeps heating up, people are going to beg for streets, sidewalks, and open spaces to be covered with solar.

Two years back during the covid crash, June '22s we're the longest duration calls you could buy, and for rock bottom prices. (September 2022's weren't available for purchase until after the market took off to ATHs and so sellers of those LEAPs weren't hurt nearly as badly.)

I would have presumed that the majority of those contracts have been closed by now. Nevertheless, expiry week for those June '22s is upon us. Is it possible that downward pressure on the market is relieved after this week now that any remaining impact of those June contracts is behind us?

View attachment 816186
So 10,000 square miles?

But how much would we need if all available and obvious rooftops, canals, parking lots etc. etc. were paneled as well?

A fraction of that. Maybe 35%. Yes, totally pulling that number out of the air.

I suspect that the entire 10,000 square miles could be placed in the Nevada desert.

And based on your graphic the cows should give it up. How dare they take up so much prime real estate in the center of the country? Who do these cows have to answer to anyway? Are they bottling their methane production at least? Maybe we could cut a deal with them...

QQQs and market overall closed off the lows... sigh. Probably not capitulation.

Set up for 'relief' rally come Fed meeting and fifty basis point hike. We have seen these before...

Saw calls earlier in year that August would be the month to come back and play, and as it approaches it seems that these people were not only right, but they have spent the past few months in a relaxed state sipping their favorite cocktail. Fie on them I say!

So 10,000 square miles?

But how much would we need if all available and obvious rooftops, canals, parking lots etc. etc. were paneled as well?

A fraction of that. Maybe 35%. Yes, totally pulling that number out of the air.

I suspect that the entire 10,000 square miles could be placed in the Nevada desert.

And based on your graphic the cows should give it up. How dare they take up so much prime real estate in the center of the country? Who do these cows have to answer to anyway? Are they bottling their methane production at least? Maybe we could cut a deal with them...
When Elon discussed this a few years ago, he used the Four Corners intersection of Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, and Utah as an example... easy to visualize a square there. Don't know where they would put the batteries though.

• Informative
Reactions: traxila
As for the SP, is anyone else getting a headache from hearing that increasing sound of the TINK, TINK, TINK as the spring is being wound tighter and tighter?

It will be a relief once Jack is finally let out of the box.
The spring has been coiled as tight as possible, for awhile now. But there’s a foot of snow covering it.

First, it has to stop snowing. Then the sun needs to come out and melt the snow cover. THEN, watch for the pop.

Yes, it could be a rectangle. 😉

More than Golf, but less than the size of the National parks.

Equal to area used for Horses, or for Wildfires.

Significantly less than Rural and Urban Housing combined. (~30% of these rooftops is all that is needed to provide the nation's power)
Or 2 square miles per state on average

of course depending on sun light

• Disagree
  • Helpful
Reactions: Andy O and 2daMoon
QQQs and market overall closed off the lows... sigh. Probably not capitulation.

Set up for 'relief' rally come Fed meeting and fifty basis point hike. We have seen these before...

Saw calls earlier in year that August would be the month to come back and play, and as it approaches it seems that these people were not only right, but they have spent the past few months in a relaxed state sipping their favorite cocktail. Fie on them I say!

As of right now, I'm hard-pressed to decide which year was a worse one for TSLA -- 2022 or 2019. If this drags on until August or longer, it doesn't become that hard to decide anymore.

When Elon discussed this a few years ago, he used the Four Corners intersection of Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, and Utah as an example... easy to visualize a square there. Don't know where they would put the batteries though.
Right next to the panels? Or underneath them. Much less of a space issue. If we could layer the panels like we can layer the batteries we could get away with much smaller footprint.

The issue is the same that it has been for many years now - the will of the human race to act and to save a recognizable Earth for future generations. If we had a WWII style mobilization to switch over we would probably get this done in a decade or less and would also make it much easier to avoid a WWIII.

Or not. Maybe the nukes would start flying at the first real sign that oil was history. Some power brokers take things personally. I say we try it and see what happens.

As of right now, I'm hard-pressed to decide which year was a worse one for TSLA -- 2022 or 2019. If this drags on until August or longer, it doesn't become that hard to decide anymore.
Just remember, Tesla is worth a LOT more now than it was in 2019, even at half of the ATH.