Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PPI came in at expectation 0.8% m/m, with core PPI slightly lower than expected (+0.5% vs +0.6% expected). Should hopefully give a boost with futures already positive.

Interestingly enough, the YoY core CPI figure came in 0.3% below expectations:

1655210470798.png

PPI is forward looking to an extent. CPI is 100% what has already happened.

It seems to me that the FED is not so behind the curve. (Obviously they completely messed up to begin with, should have started much earlier but I am talking about the now). These calls for eliminating inflation instantly with hammer blows and 100 basis point rate increases are basically calls for a recession. I am sure the people calling for these moves are positioned in the market for exactly that.

I will not agree with the Fed if they raise 75 basis points tomorrow ( I am sure they care 😂). A steady drumbeat of 50 basis point rate hikes can produce all the demand destruction and economic contraction that the financial media is pining for and more. And that is not even including QT. Which is happening right now.

"A key executive who was leading Tesla's lobbying effort in India has resigned, weeks after the U.S. carmaker put on hold plans to sell electric cars in the South Asian nation, two sources aware of the matter told Reuters."

"He lobbied the Indian government for more than a year to slash the import tax on electric cars to 40% from as high as 100%, a move Tesla said would allow it to test the market with imports from its production hubs like China before investing in a factory.
But Prime Minister Narendra Modi's government insisted Tesla must first commit to manufacturing cars locally before it can offer any concessions. With talks deadlocked, Tesla put its plans to sell cars in India on hold, reassigned some of the domestic team and abandoned its search for showroom space."

This. When I was reading up on this some time back it just makes good sense.

No it makes no sense whatsoever. Everything farming related is about utilizing sunlight . It is an inherent conflict with solar panels. If you have left enough light between panels you are wasting space. If 90% of the space is allocated to panels than 10% is left for biological processes. Biological processes are already inefficient and need every bit of light possible. Then there is infrastructure which farms require, that is an opportunity like any other business but isn’t “farm land”.

I have been asked to put sheep into a solar farm to keep it mowed, at the price I needed to make it worthwhile it was cheaper to have a person mow. Lots of us have looked at that but numbers don’t work. You can’t do tillage in a solar farm. You can’t turn tractors, etc. then you have to understand land rents are cheap and readily available-if you care about farming why would you f around with an encumbered solar farm. Land rents for anything other than big cereal farms are so low they are a negligible portion of costs. Ag rents are far far lower than the rents from solar and that is why so many farmers are happy to sign up.

I have been asked to put sheep into a solar farm to keep it mowed, at the price I needed to make it worthwhile it was cheaper to have a person mow. Lots of us have looked at that but numbers don’t work.
Perhaps you should redo your numbers. Trials in Australia have shown that solar farms can improve returns for sheep graziers. Increased carrying capacity, shelter for the sheep, better fleece, condensation off panels improves grass etc.

Merino sheep grazing under solar panels produce better wool, trial shows

Let’s get the price of crude oil below $100 as the first sign of relief, the
rest seems like Micky Mousing monthly data and seasonals
Tiny signs of hope appearing, but this monster crude trade seems unstoppable. (speaking of fraud)

One may compare exposure to BTC against other components of a balance sheet.
One may, if very diligent and careful, make the comparison against an income statement.

But it is worse than folly - it is dangerous self-deception - to compare it against market capitalization. Absolutely no less meaningless than to respond to a patient having lost six pints of blood by replying “No worries. She weighs in at 470 pounds, anyway.”
100% agree but Perception always > reality.

Ok, sure in the infrastructure areas. That's a good point. Farms in MD put a lot of solar on barns via some govt subsidized programs. I'm sure in CA they've done more. They could pump water into storage, etc. Solar in no til areas makes a ton of sense, but then they aren't farming them. Here in VA they're converting many farms into utility scale projects, wasn't great farmland to begin with and mostly grazing land, some grains.
This has interested me and I did some research. I know a big chunk of corn produced in the US is used for ethanol to supplement fuel. I've seen more and more fields in Kansas being planted in corn than I ever remembered before.

According to the USDA here: US Acreage Usage by Crop the US as a whole planted 92,692,000 acres in corn for 2021. That's a 2% increase over last year according to the research.

Then you look at how much of that was used for fuel supplement. That can be found here: US Corn Portion used for Fuel Ethanol. It has dropped just a little bit in the last year but it's up to 5.05% of all corn produced.

Put those two things together and you get about 4,639,000 acres used for ethanol generation only. Take that into sq miles if you'd like to compare to some of the estimates for solar needs and you get 7,248 sq miles. That's a huge area. That's a lot of resources going into a very nitrogen heavy crop which then has an energy intensive as well to produce this, almost 2.5 MWH per acre of corn including cultivating the crop and refining it into ethanol (Energy use to produce Ethanol). The kicker is that per the report ethanol market value is more for the ethanol usage than all other market values combined (corn oil, gluten feed, gluten meal...). If we just shifted corn production away from this to making it areas for solar we'd be way ahead in the energy game, use less water from things like the aquifers that keep getting pumped down to irrigate these crops and so forth. It's crazy how people don't see this.

Edit: Total energy usage per year to produce that Ethanol is 11,598,086 MWh, that's 11.5 TWh. Think about that for a moment.

Last edited:
Mod: I moved 25 posts (and added my own) to Bitcoin, Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Discussion Thread . I did this for two reasons: to keep this thread clear for other discussions that don't have their own place to be, and so that all of the valuable discussion appears in a single thread.

As has been pointed out before, it's more work for mods to move posts than to delete them. We (in particular, I) will run out of patience quite soon due to workload. I'm not even supposed to be here... so please keep the discussion in the right thread.
--ggr.

Edit: PS. Farming discussion is also done.

"A key executive who was leading Tesla's lobbying effort in India has resigned, weeks after the U.S. carmaker put on hold plans to sell electric cars in the South Asian nation, two sources aware of the matter told Reuters."

"He lobbied the Indian government for more than a year to slash the import tax on electric cars to 40% from as high as 100%, a move Tesla said would allow it to test the market with imports from its production hubs like China before investing in a factory.
But Prime Minister Narendra Modi's government insisted Tesla must first commit to manufacturing cars locally before it can offer any concessions. With talks deadlocked, Tesla put its plans to sell cars in India on hold, reassigned some of the domestic team and abandoned its search for showroom space."

And if that’s as far as he/she got after a year on the payroll, then he/she rightly resigned. Not a ‘key’ to anything.

Ford stops selling MachE, up 4% :rolleyes:. CNBS article for those interested. Something about the batteries @Artful Dodger

But but but I thought they stopped taking orders for the 2022 model because demand was too high?? You're telling me that a month and a half ago they may have known about this battery problem??

Ford stops selling MachE, up 4% :rolleyes:. CNBS article for those interested. Something about the batteries @Artful Dodger
It certainly sounds like a big deal after reading the article. It essentially covers every Mach E manufactured to date. Not sure how they won’t have to physically recall each one, as I highly doubt they’re able to do an OTA update a la tesla for this. There is hardly a whisper of it when you search Ford Mach E. It was buried at the bottom of a google search.

And yet Ford was just recently trolling Tesla with their “included f150 lightning adapter to charge all the stranded Teslas”. Muahaha