Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8E3D5FC5-C0B1-4E83-9ED1-AF5510D7E4D2.png
Market like to Panic, Tesla simply doesn’t want new orders to go out too far, so they increase the prices.

I find it really hard to believe Tesla would send untrained people to fix cars. I could believe they were sent to help with paperwork or other administrative tasks at service centers.
Believe it! Tesla lets untrained drivers test beta FSD. Not a big leap to think they’d assign untrained employees to service cars. 🙄

Here's a (maybe) crackpot theory of mine:

Maybe - we're in the middle of a GIGANTIC S-curve or exponential as we start expanding off planet (and to Mars)...and people/society/markets are having a difficult time dealing with the ramp up in technological progress that's needed, in such a short timespan, to make that happen. As an example, think of social media's effects on the planet. Would Obama and Trump have won their respective presidencies without social media? These apps/tech are causing and washing out a lot of problems we have just never dealt with for the entirety of our civilization ... all based on dialogue. Sure, it's not like might be doing a great job of it and might be making a mess too, but I'm hopeful it'll get resolved.

To go further, as I've been watching the news lately as well as reading this S&P 500 chart...it reminds me of this two-part article by WaitButWhy...

...namely the first three charts in Part 1 and there on. it just seems like people and the economy are coming to grips with technological progress & its effects on and feedback from the climate and society (much like the 1960's)...in order to finally go off planet. It feels like we're in a tea kettle on Earth (socially and environmentally) and need to go off planet is going to reduce that boiling point to just warm/sustainable (due to infinite levels of available expansion off planet). It's crazy what the continued growth is going to bring about, if it does happen.

Thankfully - it looks like tech progress is going to work out with many smart, capable, and influential people collaborating to make it happen...if we don't screw it up! The Starlink and OneWeb peace talks as well as some of the decisions for the US Govt to make smart decisions in regards to these areas of interest makes me hopeful.

So, it seems, Musk may be right: everything he does is philanthropy. Tesla...for the Earth and risk mitigation against technological progress. SpaceX for value adding to the entire planet to expand humans to the stars...all to beat this race condition we find ourselves in:

Of late I've been working my way through Robert Heinlein's books, again, this time taking them story-chronologically. I find many parallels with what I'm seeing unfold in the Elon-sphere of influence in what we might consider real-life. ;)

From this I gather that Heinlein had a knack for solving problems in his stories by working from first principles. It also seems obvious how Elon, being a devout fan of Sci-Fi, may have found no small inspiration in reading the work of R.A.H.

Your post struck a chord which prompted me to post this up, in case there are HODLers who haven't read Heinlein and who might enjoy exploring some possible futures.

These stories help reinforce to me that we are not only on the right track, but, we are also betting on the right horse.

Of late I've been working my way through Robert Heinlein's books, again, this time taking them story-chronologically. I find many parallels with what I'm seeing unfold in the Elon-sphere of influence in what we might consider real-life. ;)

From this I gather that Heinlein had a knack for solving problems in his stories by working from first principles. It also seems obvious how Elon, being a devout fan of Sci-Fi, may have found no small inspiration in reading the work of R.A.H.

Your post struck a chord which prompted me to post this up, in case there are HODLers who haven't read Heinlein and who might enjoy exploring some possible futures.

These stories help reinforce to me that we are not only on the right track, but, we are also betting on the right horse.

Thank you for the humor, I took a nap - because I can in the middle of the day in retirement as well as pontificate on this forum for shits and giggles nowadays - and re-read my post. Probably too much tea, but who knows.

New 2023 Honda HR-V omits radar for ACC/LKAS—includes only camera/sonar sensors in forward direction

Excerpt from press release:

HR-V features the new single-camera Honda Sensing® suite of safety and driver assistive systems first introduced on the 11th-generation Civic. The new system features a 100-degree field of view which is twice as wide as the camera-and-radar setup of the previous system. It can detect feature points of a target and recognize attributes of objects such as a vehicles or pedestrians, as well as white lines, road boundaries such as curbs, other vehicles, pedestrians, bicyclists and road signs.
New for HR-V are Traffic Jam Assist (TJA) and Traffic Sign Recognition (TSR), as well as more natural responses for existing features, such as Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow and Lane Keeping Assist (LKAS).
Additional driver assistive technologies include blind spot information (BSI) for the first time on HR-V. EX-L grades feature four sonar sensors on the front and rear bumpers, which enable Low-Speed Braking Control and front and rear false-start prevention, reducing the likelihood of low-speed collisions.

This is getting ridiculous. I saw that the market cap of Robin Hood is less than cash on their balance sheet. It is like “here buy my house for $500K and there is als $500K in the kitchen drawer to go along with it”
A better way to look at this situation market cap to book value (Assets - Liabilities). In your example someone needs to pay the mortgage if a house is sold.

Robinhood does trade below book value. Even General Motors is below book value. The reality is if you were to buy a company in this situation the expenses to liquidate would be high (severance etc.) and you might not be able to get all the value for the inventory etc.

For everybody feeling down about the stock. Just remember, this isn't because of anything Tesla as a company has done wrong. They're still going from strength to strength with an amazingly bright future. As stock holders here we're all part of this! This is because of incredibly rough market-wide conditions, which we all know TSLA can respond to in an exaggerated way... It will do the same on the way up - we've been here before, just wait.
Yes, since 2012 we have been through this so many times I can not remember them all. We always come back and hit new highs! Hang in there!

Yes, since 2012 we have been through this so many times I can not remember them all. We always come back and hit new highs! Hang in there!
There have been hundreds of times on a weekly, daily, and even hourly basis since 2012 where the market plays over reaction theater to TSLA. It always wants a company with a solid booking, all widgets sold, high margins, fewer employees, selling only the most expensive widget, and pathway to new lines of revenue with complete pivot shift. But of course when tesla does this, it is a dirty word, and must be ignored if not outright slandered. C'mon, i know the market loves $6 to $8 per gallon gas and is drooling over massive oil profits (as usual at the expense of the consumer, and lives lost in numerous wars) but whoa if tesla has increasing margins, and increasing YOY volumes, that is going to be a problem for the market.

New 2023 Honda HR-V omits radar for ACC/LKAS—includes only camera/sonar sensors in forward direction

Excerpt from press release:

My 2 takeaways from this link.

#1 It's 2023 and some of the most popular vehicles still have truly mediocre fuel economy.

#2 These prices tell me Honda feels like they can't push resale prices up significantly in spite of rising costs. Tesla's pricing power in this market is impressive.

There is a bit of cause/ effect here. Looking at my past month's driving, I saved $300 in fuel versus driving the HR-V and the Model Y is a significantly better vehicle by almost any metric.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 2.35.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 2.35.02 PM.png
    147 KB · Views: 69
Oh… my comment was a bit of an exaggeration.

I want to retire early... in the next 1-3 years preferably. That can’t happen with the current market conditions.

It’s a very first world concern I have.

When I had reached my retirement goal when the stock market was at all time highs everything at work that made me finish later or go to sleep late pissed me off. Now that I have lost more than 60% of that, I tolerate all the paperwork and punishment way better.

It solved a big hesitation I had to retire early.

Now I go through many days I feel like capitulation days one after the other. I am starting to become immune to money drops and I am becoming way too detached of money in the form of a number on a screen.

Really weird.

When I had reached my retirement goal when the stock market was at all time highs everything at work that made me finish later or go to sleep late pissed me off. Now that I have lost more than 60% of that, I tolerate all the paperwork and punishment way better.

It solved a big hesitation I had to retire early.

Now I go through many days I feel like capitulation days one after the other. I am starting to become immune to money drops and I am becoming way too detached of money in the form of a number on a screen.

Really weird.

I learned A LOT from the various FIRE forums over the past years. Namely: sell when you think it's high, buy when you think it's low. Don't get greedy and stay humble. The idea is to get a person to NOT think about money outside of budgeting to live a nice life and peace of mind (i.e. freedom and detachment of needing to make money to survive). It doesn't mean to stop working, but just get rid of the mentality, and/or life situation, of needing work in order to survive.

Some tips based on personal learnings:

1. Track your budget with personalcapital.com starting asap and take the time monthly to make sure the transactions/logs are accurate
2. Look to reduce down any debt first like immediately, you'll feel great being debt free if you aren't already
3. Rental income is usually higher than dividends - People do dividends because it keeps your assets liquid
4. A good dividend rate is 2-3% IMO. Dividends happen because companies do so well in their respective sectors that they feel the need to give some of the money back to investors (who are usually employees). So, they're usually safer from recession than high-flying stocks. So, I think dividends are a great way, especially with an advisor or via personally selected/researched mutual funds, to get exposure to an index of companies that make you less vulnerable to recessions.
5. Currently, I learned to leverage passive income to generate cashflow and keep myself at $0 or in the "black" from a personal financing perspective on a monthly/annual basis. Everything else? It's in growth stocks, such as Tesla and Rivian, for the most part or livability stuff (i.e. home).

End note: HIGHLY recommend Vanguard for index funds. Personal Capital for budgeting and monthly tracking/management.

Same service teams also prep deliveries. Which is basically just auto wash, possibly buff some paint, etc. Not high-skill.

I could totally see Elon pulling in people to do this at the end of a quarter if it was to meet delivery goals. Back in 2018 he put managers on the Model 3 line to help finish build cars to meet targets. Basically "no one is too good to work the line".
In the early days at Amazon, office workers got sent to fulfillment centers to help with Xmas orders!