Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MSFT, AAPL, and GOOG are also really close to their 52 week lows. So it isn't just TSLA that is getting beat up. I'd feel a lot worse if other big names were doing significantly better, but they're not.

For comparison, The NASDAQ is around 10% above its pre-COVID high, which is slightly below inflation since then. Tesla is ~3.5x it’s pre-COVID high.

This is getting ridiculous. I saw that the market cap of Robin Hood is less than cash on their balance sheet. It is like “here buy my house for $500K and there is als $500K in the kitchen drawer to go along with it”

This happened back in 2000 tech bubble too. A lot of stocks went from being worth tens of billions to having negative enterprise value in the space of like 12-18 months.

I learned A LOT from the various FIRE forums over the past years. Namely: sell when you think it's high, buy when you think it's low. Don't get greedy and stay humble. The idea is to get a person to NOT think about money outside of budgeting to live a nice life and peace of mind (i.e. freedom and detachment of needing to make money to survive). It doesn't mean to stop working, but just get rid of the mentality, and/or life situation, of needing work in order to survive.

Some tips based on personal learnings:

1. Track your budget with personalcapital.com starting asap and take the time monthly to make sure the transactions/logs are accurate
2. Look to reduce down any debt first like immediately, you'll feel great being debt free if you aren't already
3. Rental income is usually higher than dividends - People do dividends because it keeps your assets liquid
4. A good dividend rate is 2-3% IMO. Dividends happen because companies do so well in their respective sectors that they feel the need to give some of the money back to investors (who are usually employees). So, they're usually safer from recession than high-flying stocks. So, I think dividends are a great way, especially with an advisor or via personally selected/researched mutual funds, to get exposure to an index of companies that make you less vulnerable to recessions.
5. Currently, I learned to leverage passive income to generate cashflow and keep myself at $0 or in the "black" from a personal financing perspective on a monthly/annual basis. Everything else? It's in growth stocks, such as Tesla and Rivian, for the most part or livability stuff (i.e. home).

End note: HIGHLY recommend Vanguard for index funds. Personal Capital for budgeting and monthly tracking/management.
Sound advice. Note that @OrthoSurg is Canadian and we Canadians cannot use Personal Capital. I use a spreadsheet to track all our accounts. It takes about one hour once a month to update all our account balances and the various tables and graphs I've created then review them with my wife. We used to track all our spending but once we realized that more than 50% of our after tax income was going to investments we figured we're allowed to live a little now too, so gave up on the effort of tracking our spending.

Sound advice. Note that @OrthoSurg is Canadian and we Canadians cannot use Personal Capital. I use a spreadsheet to track all our accounts. It takes about one hour once a month to update all our account balances and the various tables and graphs I've created then review them with my wife. We used to track all our spending but once we realized that more than 50% of our after tax income was going to investments we figured we're allowed to live a little now too, so gave up on the effort of tracking our spending.

Thanks! It's actually become a favorite monthly task because I get to see my spending, thanks to TSLA and passive income now, and see how I'm doing against the budget I projected out for myself at the beginning of the year. For example, vacation budget and tracking against that ... or just going way over :).

Mint.com is great too (and available in Canada since 2010), but I'm partial to Personal Capital because of their excellent charts.

Reactions: bpjod and OrthoSurg

Non-Tesla vehicles can now charge at select Superchargers in Denmark, Finland, Germany, Luxembourg and Switzerland via the Tesla app

Where is the pilot currently live?
The Non-Tesla Supercharger pilot is currently available for Supercharging stations in the following countries:

• France
  • The Netherlands
  • Norway
  • UK
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Belgium
  • Austria
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • Germany
  • Luxembourg
  • Switzerland

When I had reached my retirement goal when the stock market was at all time highs everything at work that made me finish later or go to sleep late pissed me off. Now that I have lost more than 60% of that, I tolerate all the paperwork and punishment way better.

It solved a big hesitation I had to retire early.

Now I go through many days I feel like capitulation days one after the other. I am starting to become immune to money drops and I am becoming way too detached of money in the form of a number on a screen.

Really weird.
I think it's just a bit frustrating when you get teased with it.

I was very very close to a point where I felt I could make it happen... to the point where I was planning out how I would split my IRA into 2 halves, one for my SEPP and one which would just appreciate. Only to have it "snatched" away.

I am not stressed out, we own our house, only debt is my Model Y and I can sell it for much more than I owe.

But I think @StealthP3D nailed it on the head. If Tesla being at a particular price determines whether I can retire or not... then I'm not ready to retire yet.

Translation of the letter:

“Please keep paying me $500k/ year, but STFU on Twitter already!”

If people want to make a genuine statement here talking with their feet is the best and likely only way they will make any real statement. But these people are sacrificing nothing to make this “bold” statement.

Very few people who disagree with their company executive‘s politics are willing to actually make sacrifices to back that disagreement up.

I hear Blue Origin and their entirely safe on Twitter CEO is looking for rocket scientists.

What I want to know is;

1) If HR isn’t doing its job then why aren’t all you letter writers supporting your colleagues in the flesh? Like stand with your colleague and face the harasser. Or all march into HR together and demand action be taken?

2) If Twitter is a distraction to you, umm…don’t go there, don’t follow his tweets, heck, delete your account, then you don’t have to be distracted or embarrassed. The whole idea of being embarrassed because of someone else’s behavior is so begging for you to be told to mind your own business.

FYI, what you just did is an a$$hole move. Welcome to the club.

This is passive aggressive behavior disguised as ‘we just want what’s in the best interest of humanity’. It’s like nobody knows how to be upfront and straight forward and communicate constructively. We have to write an anonymous group letter and leak it to the media. It’s a form of bullying.

Let’s be clear, I don’t care what it is or what you do, just don’t pretend it’s something other than it is or you’re somehow above others by your passive aggressive actions.

That’s fair.

SpaceX and Tesla are run on the backs of these engineers. They are choosing to keep working at SpaceX (for obvious reasons) even though they are likely highly employable in their respective fields.

Writing letters accomplishes absolutely nothing. It gives the haters something to write about in their hate-media. Musk doesn’t care about letters from what is very likely a minority of employees. Unless the engineers start leaving the company and making noise about why they are leaving the company, there will be no changes.

But my bigger point isn’t that these people should STFU, it’s that their letter is pointless if they won’t back it with actions.
I stopped adding further comments regarding this, as the topic as well as the posts on same suffice to demonstrate one of the two major reasons I have so implacably denigrated Twitter since its inception. The platform addicts one to throwing out for all to see one’s stream of consciousness and that, unfortunately for those of us who are human beings, shows the worst of us. Do NOT try to justify that with a “it shows the best of us, too, so it evens out” or “Well, that’s him. You have the choice of taking all of him or none.”, as junior high sophistry is not at work here.

Now let’s go to the workplace and consider an employee. It doesn’t matter who it is. Jejune sewage out for all the world to see on Twitter means any or all of the following, and likely far more, to that employee: “If the boss can speak that way for all the world to see, then so can I.” “If the boss can speak that way for all the world to see, then my grandmother will learn of it, too.” “If the boss can speak that way on Twitter, why would he not also so speak here…in the lunchroom…behind my back…in front of my face…in front of coworker X’s face, who, while brilliant, has problems and may be the sort to file a harassment lawsuit, potentially endangering some or all of our jobs and certainly giving this company that I love a harder time of it than it has already?”

Now let’s turn to Twitter as a necessary platform for the dispersal of some positive or necessary material. Making that claim is unbridled horse patooty. An effective way is for Tesla, or SpaceX, or The Boring Co., or “Musk Enterprises” to create either a blog or a corporate newsletter. “That’s so 2000s!” or so, you reply. SO WHAT? It doesn’t matter. It not only is effective at reaching all who WANT to learn about one or all of the companies, it would force its author to stick to the point, to stay focused; he would be able just as now to choose which posed questions to answer - just as undemocratically as it is now, where a number of favorites get limelighted, but in this situation would correctly be Anonymous Questioner.

Swim in a cesspool, and you’ll stink. Musk should get out, now, and stay out.

Now let’s turn to Twitter as a necessary platform for the dispersal of some positive or necessary material. Making that claim is unbridled horse patooty.

Based on his halting uncertainty as to why he likes Twitter in the all hands video, he ain’t gonna buy it. He is just dating around…. Gives me hope the end of this saga is near.

Based on his halting uncertainty as to why he likes Twitter in the all hands video, he ain’t gonna buy it. He is just dating around…. Gives me hope the end of this saga is near.
I often feel like I live in a completely different universe than everyone else. Since I invested in Tesla in 2016, I had people telling me they were doomed to failure. That EVs were not the future. That Musk was a fraud.

I’m not sure if it’s you or I who is wrong, but I had the polar opposite reaction to you when viewing the video/reading transcripts and reports of what Musk said in the twitter address today…

I often feel like I live in a completely different universe than everyone else. Since I invested in Tesla in 2016, I had people telling me they were doomed to failure. That EVs were not the future. That Musk was a fraud.

I’m not sure if it’s you or I who is wrong, but I had the polar opposite reaction to you when viewing the video/reading transcripts and reports of what Musk said in the twitter address today…

Agreed. He would not have had that townhall with employees if he wasn't going to buy it. Furthermore, Musk really is (historically) a man of his word. His timelines are not often accurate, but he always pursues what he says he plans to. That's a "shot across the bow" for those at Twitter that aren't carrying their weight, working from home, don't add value to the company, etc. etc.

Swim in a cesspool, and you’ll stink. Musk should get out, now, and stay out.

A counterpoint.

Elon's goal is to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy, and, go to Mars. To do this it will be helpful to have not only the thinkers, the shakers and movers, and others who work at being in-the-know, but, he will also want/need the rest of the people who routinely swim in the cesspool to be influenced in one way or another toward the advantages for them to want to go electric, or, go to Mars. (yes, there will be some of them who make it to Mars)

Twitter, by your description, is very possibly the best tool for reaching a significant segment of society who participate in all aspects of commerce, even though deep, rational, logical thought may not be their first choice for learning about the world around them. They can easily be reached in the cesspool. I'm talking about the folks who routinely fall for the tricks and gimmicks that the advertisers have trained them to respond to. These people buy cars, buy homes, pay electric bills, experience power outages. They are potential customers.

We need these people to learn about Tesla, or any other company that will help them transition, in the same way that they figure out the world around them if we want to get them on board.

Anyone who has ever worked a job providing customer support for a technical product will understand. The experience can leave you feeling that most of the world has an IQ around room temperature. ("If you know what I mean, and I think that you do"-Joe Bob Briggs)

This, and only this, is what makes Twitter important to the mission.

In Elon I trust. He's been right about so many things others have argued against.

I'm content to just wait and see how this goes. He's got street cred in my book.

YMMV

You were saying..?

View attachment 817280

We're with you in spirit, though, @TheTalkingMule !
I can only beg you people to have a better attitude and get this rally rolling. The execution is up to you!

I was focused and fired up this morning.

My 5 year old neice today told me she wants an electric car when she grows y. Because she "doesn't want to drive". So good.

I have no use for, yet yearn for a mega charger and Semi

A counterpoint.

Twitter, by your description, is very possibly the best tool for reaching a significant segment of society who participate in all aspects of commerce, even though deep, rational, logical thought may not be their first choice for learning about the world around them. They can easily be reached in the cesspool. I'm talking about the folks who routinely fall for the tricks and gimmicks that the advertisers have trained them to respond to. These people buy cars, buy homes, pay electric bills, experience power outages. They are potential customers.

We need these people to learn about Tesla, or any other company that will help them transition, in the same way that they figure out the world around them if we want to get them on board.

Anyone who has ever worked a job providing customer support for a technical product will understand. The experience can leave you feeling that most of the world has an IQ around room temperature. ("If you know what I mean, and I think that you do"-Joe Bob Briggs)

This, and only this, is what makes Twitter important to the mission.

In Elon I trust. He's been right about so many things others have argued against.

I'm content to just wait and see how this goes. He's got street cred in my book.

YMMV
Agreed. Awhile back Elon mentioned something about "Gentrifying Mordor". What did we get? A Gigafactory in Texas. He knows he needs the rest of humanity on board to successfully achieve the missions, and to get them he needs to appeal to them. And to appeal to them he needs to do more than occasionally throw them a bone. He needs to get into the ring with them, fight with them, and be one of them. LOL. Elon is so smart, he's f'ing brilliant!

1655427518756.png

Yep, I am probably wrong but I hope whatever way it goes, it goes quickly.

Reading it was completely different for me. Seeing it was a surprise in a bad way. I think it could have gone better. YMMV.