Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(re @PeterJA ) - Taking the result you cherish and then looking for a way to justify that is reprehensible. It is not deserving of respect.
Now, if you think or have evidence that =>I<= am guilty of that, go ahead and lay out your reasoning. In the meantime I and, apparently, some number (4? 10? 99%?) of SpaceX employees are fed up with, frightened, or some combination, of Mr Musk’s actions and, I say, antics on Twitter.

I can't see where you are going with this, but I'm having a hard time thinking it's enlightening in any way.

Can a mod delete their own posts? 🤪

Self-censorship is sometimes a good thing and this just might be one of those times. ;)

I certainly agree it does not mean it’s popular. I also hope its creator(s) had no intention of it being subject to a popularity contest.
But not a correct opinion? Please correct me if I’m wrong in thinking that a very, very dangerous statement. Perhaps you meant something else.
If the creator has no intention of it being a popularity contest, they wouldn't ask others to sign up to the letter.

Weird that you're so sensitive to the word "correct", when the entire aim of the open letter is to lambast Elon Musk for having politically incorrect opinions on twitter. But if you're so worked up about it, replace it with "reasonable" then (for some reason I couldn't edit that comment anymore), and realize in the interest of diversity that some of us does not have English as our native language.

Last edited:
Based Gwynne:

I really love the mission-above-everything, damn-the-woke-brigade culture in all of Elon's companies ❤️

A letter like that would cause months of internal turmoil, derailment of projects, loss of focus at companies such as Apple or Google. But not at Tesla, or Spacex. :)

Now let’s turn to Twitter as a necessary platform for the dispersal of some positive or necessary material. Making that claim is unbridled horse patooty. An effective way is for Tesla, or SpaceX, or The Boring Co., or “Musk Enterprises” to create either a blog or a corporate newsletter. “That’s so 2000s!” or so, you reply. SO WHAT? It doesn’t matter. It not only is effective at reaching all who WANT to learn about one or all of the companies, it would force its author to stick to the point, to stay focused; he would be able just as now to choose which posed questions to answer - just as undemocratically as it is now, where a number of favorites get limelighted, but in this situation would correctly be Anonymous Questioner.
Corporate newsletters and blogs are only read by those who are already interested. They never gain any new audiences. Even those who read the first issues, seldom continue actually reading them because they become boring. Mass media could work if it wasn't as big a cesspool as Twitter. Like it or not, Social Media is how you attract new audiences.

(re @PeterJA ) - Taking the result you cherish and then looking for a way to justify that is reprehensible. It is not deserving of respect.
Now, if you think or have evidence that =>I<= am guilty of that, go ahead and lay out your reasoning. In the meantime I and, apparently, some number (4? 10? 99%?) of SpaceX employees are fed up with, frightened, or some combination, of Mr Musk’s actions and, I say, antics on Twitter.

My wife has been repeating for one month now that all the Twitter drama and Elon tweeting frequently is hurting shareholders more than helping the world to transition to sustainable energy. I couldn’t disagree with her, because she is my wife of course.

I wish to think there will be some way Elon uses Twitter to make democracy work on Mars but I don’t understand how important decisions could be taken with daily/weekly Twitter polls without risk of massive quantity of bots voting and abusing.

Hey all. I have a bit of a predicament and would very much appreciate the Borg hive mind feedback.

In short: When Tesla launched past $1,000 a share I sold 50 shares and put a deposit down on the Roadster. Now, I'm contemplating canceling the deposit so I can reinvest that $50k for, who knows, maybe 100 shares at some point.

In long: I've been trading and then investing in Tesla since 2018. I had 40 shares, sold prior to the C19 dip, bought back 80 near the low, added 20, split happened and boom I'm at 500 shares. Since then I've sold 200 shares at an average of $1000 or so. Roadster deposit, home/Tesla upgrades, put back initial capital, and a little deworsification into other stocks..very small amount and that $200k is locked up/used. I'm giving up the details only because I think it matters in finding the right decision. My brokerage account is out of cash and I'm not willing to sell CCs at these levels. I'm seriously considering getting the $50k Roadster deposit back but I'm not sure if that's a good idea as there are several unknowns. The main reason I put the deposit down was in hopes of locking in the "$200k base price" cost of the car. About a month after I put the deposit down they removed that wording from the order page which made me feel better and more certain about my decision. The reality is 1, Who knows if they will honor that base price as they don't have to contractually. However I can't fathom they'll do wrong by people who dropped $50k for many years now. 2. If they do the likely thing and raise the price, what will it be, $250k? $300k? 3, Who knows when this car will even come out. Cybertruck is probably a year away still so, what, another two years for the Roadster maybe? At this point it's a non-zero that Elon simply cancels it on a whim one day because "the future is FSD". Other things to consider are I'm not sure how long it takes to get the $50k back. Someone in another thread said it took about a month. What if I miss the ~bottom and things turn around and I never really put the cash to work. Alternatively, it's very unlikely but what if I purchase in the $500s and the thing hits $300s and trades there for many years. I don't think that's going to happen but, honestly, it's not impossible. Part of me is like just sit back and relax, having 400 shares instead of 300 shares isn't a game changer, you're way ahead of the game on profits and you've got a deposit on essentially the only material thing you covet. Do nothing and enjoy the days. The other part of me is thinking those $50k worth of shares could be worth buying the whole Roadster when it comes out. Also, it's possible I might not go for it anyway if the stock is in the tank as my intention was to pay for it writing covered calls or selling a share here and there.

Additional info, my intention would be to sell ~$500 puts with the $50k and sell closer to ATM when and if it really gets down there. Also, while I don't make a ton of income personally, my family is extraordinarily comfortable financially. My kid will never want for anything so TSLA isn't really about building generational wealth of anything like that.

You're all smarter than me, what are your thoughts? I spoke with my wife about this tonight and she too remained undecided.
Overthinking is what I'm seeing here. 1. Do you want a Roadster? 2. Will the extra number of shares improve your lifestyle? 3. No decision is free from regrets, with luck the satisfactions are more than the regrets.

My wife has been repeating for one month now that all the Twitter drama and Elon tweeting frequently is hurting shareholders more than helping the world to transition to sustainable energy. I couldn’t disagree with her, because she is my wife of course.

I wish to think there will be some way Elon uses Twitter to make democracy work on Mars but I don’t understand how important decisions could be taken with daily/weekly Twitter polls without risk of massive quantity of bots voting and abusing.

Grow a pair already. What a boring life without disagreements and associated discussions.

I'm going to give a different take on this. I'm a gamer and I learned many years ago to not pre-order games. Too many disappointments doing that and it encourages developers to release unfinished and unpolished software with a promise to fix it later.
So you are waiting on the perfect car then still too?

I preordered the X based on what I knew about the model S, and the 3 based on our experience with the 3.

FSD is of course part of an amazing journey rather than a finished product for a while but I would not want to miss it.

The investment argument makes sense except looking at the last 12 months - car values went up and stock value went down, what is the better return on your money ?

I have no doubt that when roadsters sees then light of day they will be mind blowingöy awesome.

Hey all. I have a bit of a predicament and would very much appreciate the Borg hive mind feedback.

In short: When Tesla launched past $1,000 a share I sold 50 shares and put a deposit down on the Roadster. Now, I'm contemplating canceling the deposit so I can reinvest that $50k for, who knows, maybe 100 shares at some point.

In long: I've been trading and then investing in Tesla since 2018. I had 40 shares, sold prior to the C19 dip, bought back 80 near the low, added 20, split happened and boom I'm at 500 shares. Since then I've sold 200 shares at an average of $1000 or so. Roadster deposit, home/Tesla upgrades, put back initial capital, and a little deworsification into other stocks..very small amount and that $200k is locked up/used. I'm giving up the details only because I think it matters in finding the right decision. My brokerage account is out of cash and I'm not willing to sell CCs at these levels. I'm seriously considering getting the $50k Roadster deposit back but I'm not sure if that's a good idea as there are several unknowns. The main reason I put the deposit down was in hopes of locking in the "$200k base price" cost of the car. About a month after I put the deposit down they removed that wording from the order page which made me feel better and more certain about my decision. The reality is 1, Who knows if they will honor that base price as they don't have to contractually. However I can't fathom they'll do wrong by people who dropped $50k for many years now. 2. If they do the likely thing and raise the price, what will it be, $250k? $300k? 3, Who knows when this car will even come out. Cybertruck is probably a year away still so, what, another two years for the Roadster maybe? At this point it's a non-zero that Elon simply cancels it on a whim one day because "the future is FSD". Other things to consider are I'm not sure how long it takes to get the $50k back. Someone in another thread said it took about a month. What if I miss the ~bottom and things turn around and I never really put the cash to work. Alternatively, it's very unlikely but what if I purchase in the $500s and the thing hits $300s and trades there for many years. I don't think that's going to happen but, honestly, it's not impossible. Part of me is like just sit back and relax, having 400 shares instead of 300 shares isn't a game changer, you're way ahead of the game on profits and you've got a deposit on essentially the only material thing you covet. Do nothing and enjoy the days. The other part of me is thinking those $50k worth of shares could be worth buying the whole Roadster when it comes out. Also, it's possible I might not go for it anyway if the stock is in the tank as my intention was to pay for it writing covered calls or selling a share here and there.

Additional info, my intention would be to sell ~$500 puts with the $50k and sell closer to ATM when and if it really gets down there. Also, while I don't make a ton of income personally, my family is extraordinarily comfortable financially. My kid will never want for anything so TSLA isn't really about building generational wealth of anything like that.

You're all smarter than me, what are your thoughts? I spoke with my wife about this tonight and she too remained undecided.
TSLA is at a historic low; apparently a great buying opportunity. Roadster won't be ready for a long time probably... unless your reservation is a very early one... and even if that... well, it'll likely ready in just "two weeks" for a very long time...

I might be answering the wrong question, but I'd keep the reservation and maybe bid low for some TSLA for now, then decide if you want to follow through on the Roadster if and when the order folks say they need more money for the Roadster.

Sadly I occasionally witness random people commenting on news stories about Tesla. You would be AMAZED how many people who think they either still lose money on every car, or only make a profit due to tax credits.
The gap between tesla's financials, and the public perception of them is massive, a deliberate situation brought about by false reporting. However, it gets harder and harder to hide from Tesla's growing price to earnings ration and headline profits. At some point, they will have to give in and report the facts, and I expect a wave of new retail investors when they learn that 'Tesla now turns a profit apparently'.

And $18k is a STAGGERING gross profit per vehicle.
I find just the opposite- I'm amazed how many random people seem to correctly know these details almost as if they're TMC forum users.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I do think it interesting how this will apply to each of the Musk-led companies. Shotwell will be seen as setting an example for all of them.
I think it is great. Workplaces are not required to be democracies. If something doesn’t work for you as an employee, take a walk. Figure out if the benefits outweigh the disadvantages and all that first. Pretty decent labor market to do that in at the moment.

If you want free speech at work then own the company. If you are too cavalier in its application it will cost you.

if you find your general existence in the universe to be a state of oppression, welcome to the club. Learn how to frame your everyday life in a positive way. Only paradise you will ever see….