Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weekend tidbits…

Solar electricity production, GWh:
CC2A68BD-D56B-4155-A9E8-30F7E1C43145.jpeg

Graph, solar electricity generation per capita (KWh) over time:
A35EE3F0-92CD-4B39-B663-923061372245.jpeg

Here’s a thought. Maybe it’s your mistake. Looks like a mistake today, but when BTC was sitting at over $50k - hmmm…not so much. And didn’t they sell some of that BTC at a profit?

I’ve heard lots of this was a mistake that was a mistake for years now, but nobody ever waits long enough to see where it all ends up and then freely admits, dang, they were right all along.

People need to be less excited and willing to get on the judgement train.
I have been calling it a mistake for over a year now. First, I dont believe BTC provides any value to humanity. Second, shareholders do not get anything when it goes up. Even when Tesla realized some profit on the 10% they sold, that profit was quickly backed out as a one time thing. Even became a piece of FUD. When it goes down however we go down with it. But Im not unreasonable. When Tesla finally sells all of it for a gain I deem respectable, enough to pay for the headache shareholders had to endure along the way, I will admit I was wrong.

BTC purchase was speculation, pure and simple. I didn’t think it was the best use of cash when BTC was at 50,000 and certainly not now.
That's one explanation. Addressing co2 footprint by inserting yourself into the group of stakeholders and making a stir is another. Did you hear about the solar plus battery plus Bitcoin mining value storage project tesla is engaged in ?

That's one explanation. Addressing co2 footprint by inserting yourself into the group of stakeholders and making a stir is another. Did you hear about the solar plus battery plus Bitcoin mining value storage project tesla is engaged in ?
Crypto bros dont care about CO2. They are in it for the money. The moment Elon said something negative against their operation he became evil incarnated. Great success. Great crowd to hang with.

BTC purchase was speculation, pure and simple. I didn’t think it was the best use of cash when BTC was at 50,000 and certainly not now.

A billion dollars could have paid for a lot of superchargers, service support staff, or someone to pick up the phone when the press is trying to get answers about Tesla email leaks and damaging rumors.

Even geniuses make mistakes.
I know this from experience 🧐
But they still have a $Billion in the bank, many billions. They have the money they need for what they want to buy, many times over. The Bitcoin venture is not holding anything back.

Crypto bros dont care about CO2. They are in it for the money. The moment Elon said something negative against their operation he became evil incarnated. Great success. Great crowd to hang with.
But that's exactly my point. He confronted them with the reality and gave guidance and they didn't like it but he will show how it's done. Or at least that is what I am guessing the strategy is. What do you want to do with surplus solar if you have to over provision in order to have enough capacity for the winter months? Assuming crypto bros don't care about co2 and will consume energy anyways, drive them to the this.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Current production rates:

Shanghai: 70k/mo
Fremont: 50k/mo
Berlin: 4k/mo
Austin: 2k(?)/mo

No doubt we’re exiting Q2 with >1.5M/yr run rate.

And I agree that will be emphasized in the P&D report. Shanghai getting shut down for a month is not what Wall St will care about anymore—that’s in the past. They will care about current run rates.

Last edited:
Seems like Tesla bought BTC as a marketing move - "look how cool we are". It makes no sense as a place to park cash.
Tesla bought BTC for exactly the reason stated in their 10K. They did it, "to further diversify and maximize returns on our cash that is not required to maintain adequate operating liquidity."

With Elon and company, you don't need to read between the lines. Just read the lines.

Tesla bought BTC for exactly the reason stated in their 10K. They did it, "to further diversify and maximize returns on our cash that is not required to maintain adequate operating liquidity."

With Elon and company, you don't need to read between the lines. Just read the lines.
Elon agreed that BTC was bought as an inflation hedge on twitter. Tesla just didn't take profit.

Reactions: betstarship
Generally don’t post YouTube videos here or even watch very much YouTube, but stumbled across a good Rivian test drive/ misadventure from the Now You Know guys about a camping trip in the Rivian. I watched it because it was very similar to a trip I did in my Model Y last year.

For the TLDW folks, they were seriously disappointed with the non-Tesla charging network and had some significant road trip issues with the Rivian. Kind of disappointing that in 2022 EA and EVGo are still so unreliable. I suspect when Tesla eventually opens up their charging network anyone who road trips at all is going to switch.

Also… lots of funny commentary about how YouTubers pander to car makers so they can get access to test vehicles.
Wow. Even they tried to restrain themselves, they are clearly so frustrated. There is no question Tesla is the only game in town!
I can also confirm that car companies try to recruit youtubers to influence buyers (not surprisingly). I happened to run into a youtuber on my last trip to South America in May and he said he was invited to visit Vinfast (in Vietnam) on a 5 star tour (even though he got just a few hundreds subscriber).

Sure worked. They would have been better buying shares of Tesla:)

And I agree that will be emphasized in the P&D report. Shanghai getting shut down for a month is not what Wall St will care about anymore—that’s in the past. They will care about current run rates.

Yep.

Then my very rough guesses are 400k for Q3 and 500k for Q4, with $4b and $5b in profit.

Hoping they make a clear statement on the P/D report that they're still very confident they'll do 50% growth this year.

Looking at the supercharger growth in China and Asia I can see why China is becoming the world economic leader. Those countries that continue to feed off the fossil fools addictions are moving down the economic ladder along with the standard of living which includes good water and food going down the drain. The disruption is happening fast; much faster than anyone can see. I guess exponential is difficult to visualize. Our oldest Tesla a Model S is still perfect without any maintenance costs except a change of tires. Love the FSD which has prevented accidents and made long travel a real joy. 8 years with Tesla and can't understand how anyone can buy any other vehicle; of those buying fossil fool cars must have a thinking issue.
So you have an 8 year old Tesla and another newer one with FSD?

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial