Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to put this whole BTC thing in context, they purchased about $1.50/share of BTC. The current paper loss is about $0.60/share. In an alternate universe where they held cash, the share price should be 60 cents higher.

If earnings are hit by $0.60 a share, wouldn't the stock be hit by $0.60 * P/E ratio? or about $52 a share? Stock is currently $650 with earnings of 7.40. If earnings were 6.80, with current P/E of 89, the stock would be $598

Last edited:
If earnings are hit by $0.60 a share, wouldn't the stock be hit by $0.60 * P/E ratio? or about $52 a share?
Only if the market expects the loss to occur in every future quarter as well. For that to happen Tesla would need to continue purchasing a similar amount of BTC and BTC would need to continue falling at a similar rate. Both seem rather unlikely.

Just say it; you know better than Elon.
You really don't think there is anything you are smarter/better/wiser than Elon at? I feel sorry for you if that's the case.

What's so hard to figure about Elon not being the worlds smartest at everything?

Seeing two of our most prolific posters here (not you) never ever admitting that anything Elon or Tesla does even could be a mistake is worrying because it makes me wonder how smart their other opinions really are.

You really don't think there is anything you are smarter/better/wiser than Elon at? I feel sorry for you if that's the case.

What's so hard to figure about Elon not being the worlds smartest at everything?

Seeing two of our most prolific posters here (not you) never ever admitting that anything Elon or Tesla does even could be a mistake is worrying because it makes me wonder how smart their other opinions really are.

Elon even admitted in interviews himself he was wrong in retrospect sometimes. But as he said the goal is to try to be less wrong. At his defense, at the time with the information he had he always tried to take the best most informed decision he can. BTC could have been an edge to inflation when the FED was printing money and he took the right decision at the time. I bought my first GBTC in January 2021 about 2 months before Elon did because I thought it would follow the commodity investment and act has a refuge value against inflation but I sold in February 2022 when I saw it was dropping like a rock. I took that money and investment more In TSLA at 650. Elon should follow my lead once again ;) just trying to be less wrong everyday.

Do I think I have a better understanding of finance than Elon? The co-founder of PayPal? No.

I actually met Elon a couple of times when myself and a small team worked for Tesla to develop an emergency response guide for first responders for Tesla vehicle extrication and ventilation of Solar Roof.

I’ve worked in the fire service for 20 years. Ive probably cut hundreds of cars and dozens of roofs (as did everyone on that team); yet Elon left us all feeling like he had a well developed understanding of the project we were working on.

No need to feel sorry for me, in fact I am grateful that I know ‘what I don’t know’.

I don’t have a finance background so I trust the founder of PayPal knows better how to manage his companies cash reserves than I.

It’s worth noting that many people who have a finance background see a great value and strong future for crypto. Perhaps your pity is better spent on them.

Do I think I have a better understanding of finance than Elon? The co-founder of PayPal? No.

I actually met Elon a couple of times when myself and a small team worked for Tesla to develop an emergency response guide for first responders for Tesla vehicle extrication and ventilation of Solar Roof.

I’ve worked in the fire service for 20 years. Ive probably cut hundreds of cars and dozens of roofs (as did everyone on that team); yet Elon left us all feeling like he had a well developed understanding of the project we were working on.

No need to feel sorry for me, in fact I am grateful that I know ‘what I don’t know’.

I don’t have a finance background so I trust the founder of PayPal knows better how to manage his companies cash reserves than I.

It’s worth noting that many people who have a finance background see a great value and strong future for crypto. Perhaps your pity is better spent on them.
Have you told that story here in more detail before? I would love to read.

Elon even admitted in interviews himself he was wrong in retrospect sometimes. But as he said the goal is to try to be less wrong. At his defense, at the time with the information he had he always tried to take the best most informed decision he can. BTC could have been an edge to inflation when the FED was printing money and he took the right decision at the time. I bought my first GBTC in January 2021 about 2 months before Elon did because I thought it would follow the commodity investment and act has a refuge value against inflation but I sold in February 2022 when I saw it was dropping like a rock. I took that money and investment more In TSLA at 650. Elon should follow my lead once again ;) just trying to be less wrong everyday.
It was refreshing to hear Elon note the problems with Btc specifically. It is deflationary meaning in opposition to growth and expansion. Other coins avoid this flaw.

He noted the irony of Doge (a joke coin) being a better solution.

Btc is no longer accepted. Doge is. Doge still has issues.

This is clear for all to see. The less wrong position is to avoid Btc.

Could Btc be fixed? Possibly but there is no central authority by design so there is no process to repair the wrongness of the current reality.

Kimbal has also stated that there was insufficient research into Btc.

In this time of tightening liquidity the various flaws of Btc are more problematic and the market is reacting IMO

Have you told that story here in more detail before? I would love to read.
No. I’m not much of a writer so I doubt I’d do it justice. It was one of the most satisfying opportunities in my career…and solar roof is an incredible product that I’m SUPER excited about.

That interaction with Elon and team was what initially spawned the model 3 purchase, then TSLA, then a model X.

10,000 Yuan is about $1,500 USD. The article goes on to say:

“Consumers whose vehicles have been sold or scrapped will receive the subsidy, if they purchase a new pure electric vehicle from dealers or stores registered in Shanghai,” Bloomberg wrote in a wrap up Friday morning.

Made some slight changes to my estimates for this year's valuations using price to sales.

Q1Q2Q3Q4annual

Q2 I revised back down from 305 to 250 based on China's slower restart.
For Q3 there are estimates that we are at a 1.5 million vehicle runrate so I went with 375k vehicles.
For Q4 I used an estimated growth from Q3 of 30% to come to 487.5k vehicles.

Overall this results in a lower annual production closer to 1.4 million vehicles.

Here are the corresponding production and revenue numbers. I over simplify and use an average revenue per vehicle. I did increase this by $1,000 to $59,000 revenue per vehicle produced. This is to reflect the price increases which will effect revenue per vehicle for the next several quarters

2022q1q2q3q4
trailing production1054109812351417.5
trailing revenue62,190,00064,782,00072,865,00083,632,500

And here is share price estimates using corresponding Price to sales ratios:

price/salesQ1Q2Q3Q4

For the low end we hit just over $617 per share which corresponds to just under a 10.3 price to sales ratio.

Using this backwards looking valuation method I see a reasonable price range for Tesla by year end between $833-$1,618.

I lean toward the optimistic and believe the macro factors that are heavily weighing on the stock will subside as we approach the end of the year.

By year end I believe we will be trading over $500 per share. Post-split of course :)

Time will tell if it was a mistake or not. I find it amusing that the volatility in crypto/btc seems to have caught many here off guard. There wasn't much bellyaching when btc was booming.

I've been arguing with friends and family that own BTC that it's an insane "investment" and I've never touched it. Anyhow - the dead horse is well and truly beaten.

So you are saying that the TSLA stock price in the multiverse where Elon didn’t plan to buy Twitter and Tesla didn’t buy BTC, the stock price would still be around $650?

Let me pull that data out tonight just gotta finish solving some little problem with strings theory and I’ll get back to you shortly.
Tesla is one of the better performing stocks given its beta of over 2. There's frustration across the board, most people are scratching their head while at least we contribute some of the losses to Elon as some kind of solace. In reality, everyone is suffering no matter the execution or the behavior of the CEO.

The worst thing about the BTC was they did a secondary capital raise at a pretty low pre-split price that they didn’t need to do, and then they bought the BTC not too long after that because they had too much cash.

TSLA is up at least 500% from there and BTC is down whatever it’s down.
It's easy to say these things in hindsight - but at the time of the last capital raise (Dec-20) Tesla's stock price was far above what it had been the year before and Tesla had giant CapEx plans with two factories about to start construction. At that point in time Tesla hadn't even started selling the Shanghai model Y. Derisking those plans with a $5b capital raise was a worthwhile move IMO even if it turns out it wasn't needed - having the cash and not needing is far better than the alternative.

Additionally, the stock price at the time of the last capital raise is roughly where it is now - so it has had minimal dilutive effects as of today.
1655634324797.png

The BTC purchase was <10% of cash and cash equivalents - nothing to get excited about. It's amazing it draws such strong opinions on the board WRT the value of TSLA. And this accounting loss is just that, a writedown on paper, not a real loss unless Tesla sold its BTC. BTC is known to be volatile, I've ridden 3 waves of 70%+ drawdowns since I bought mine in early 2013.

A couple of examples of things that have more impact on Tesla's financials that are hardly discussed.
  • Tesla's decision to not fx hedge sales would easily have a larger impact on the company (I have no idea if that has worked out in Tesla's favour or not) but no-one mentions it.
  • The decision to remove the home charger as standard with new vehicle sales will probably save about $1b over the next couple of years ($275*c.4m vehicles)

The form of cash known as "USD" is known for retaining it's value, whereas the form of cash known as "BTC" is down 70% from ATH.

BTC is not in any way, shape, or form stable enough to be used as "cash" and by that I mean used as a currency, whose purpose in a modern economy is exchange for goods and services. There is no way to properly ascertain value of good and services when the medium of exchange can vary in value by 70% in a matter of months. This is why USD is the world's "reserve currency" because no matter what you can expect a dollar buys a dollar's worth of goods and services even if the world is in a recession.

I don't expect Elon to be a trained economist but surely Zach understands how modern monetary systems work and why BTC is not "cash"?
Anybody who deals in or lives with multiple currencies know that your stated position is overly simplistic. The US$ fluctuates in purchasing power and value in other currencies. This article shows what is happening:
In ~2021 the US$ dropped below 50% in global trade basis. All evidence indicates that the drop is accelerating, right now in favor, mostly, of Euro and Yuan.

in this environment with increasing risk of US blocking foreign currencies and both US and many countries imposing regulations and fees inhibiting FX it is prudent to experiment with alternatives.

This is not an endorsement of any given method to facilitate international or even some domestic transactions.