Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hah! My Father's Day card:

PXL_20220619_173422975.jpg
PXL_20220619_173431607~2.jpg

Happy Father's Day!

This nonsense was debunked many pages ago, with direct quotes from 3 different oil company CEOS explicitly admitting they have no interest in additional extraction whatsoever and they prefer high prices to spending anything to increase supply, or add refining capacity.

Oil companies have massive amounts of EXISTING leases and rights they're not exploiting, there's nothing whatsoever in government holding them back from more supply- they are actively choosing not to to do at and openly admit it.

Oil companies would increase production if it was profitable for them. The US government could have guaranteed purchase for say 5 or 10 years at a guaranteed price if they achieve a certain increase in production. Of course this would go against the green agenda, but it would lower the gas price, reduce inflation, and reduce Europe's dependence on Russian oil.

The oil companies are of course making a logical business decision. If I was the CEO of say ExxonMobil I would also ignore the pleas of the government, and go for the profit. It just is not profitable to start up new investments and new digging facilities without long term guarantees by the government.

The US government has the power the increase the production, it chose not to.

I have a Supercharger profitability question for the thread....Does someone want to take a swag at projecting an ROI for a newly installed SC today? Pick the state of your choice. I can't wrap my head around how it scales to justify opening up to other brands.

Second question, these semi mega chargers, how much storage would be needed onsite to ensure they never needed grid power? How else could Tesla guarantee$0.07/kWh charging pricing?

Oil companies would increase production if it was profitable for them. The US government could have guaranteed purchase for say 5 or 10 years at a guaranteed price if they achieve a certain increase in production. Of course this would go against the green agenda, but it would lower the gas price, reduce inflation, and reduce Europe's dependence on Russian oil.

The oil companies are of course making a logical business decision. If I was the CEO of say ExxonMobil I would also ignore the pleas of the government, and go for the profit. It just is not profitable to start up new investments and new digging facilities without long term guarantees by the government.

The US government has the power the increase the production, it chose not to.
Welcome to Capitalism. This is the market (economy) regulating itself. Supply and Demand are so fundamental, even I can understand how it works. If you think having Government cherry-pick and put their finger on the scale for certain components of the economy will have some certain desired effect....well, you must be a world class optimist. It is very naive to think the economy can be directed with any precision.
Here - I don't read any Industry CEO's blaming government for their refusal to increase production:

March 2022

U.S. producers reluctant to drill more oil, despite sky-high gas prices​

Here's Nov 2021, Shale Oil and Gas production:

"But, according to other sources, the real reason that Big Oil won’t raise production is a matter of simple economics. Keeping the supply tight is just too good for the bottom line. And if it’s President Biden who will take the heat for high prices at the pumps, that’s just the cherry on top of a very, very lucrative cake. In fact, according to figures from Deloitte LLP, oil explorers in the United States are making more money now than at any other point in the more-than decade-long history of the nation’s shale revolution."

So, please stop pushing your false narrative that the Administration could do something. That's clearly not the case, unless you were thinking "declare Martial Law".

Last edited:
I have a Supercharger profitability question for the thread....Does someone want to take a swag at projecting an ROI for a newly installed SC today? Pick the state of your choice. I can't wrap my head around how it scales to justify opening up to other brands.

Second question, these semi mega chargers, how much storage would be needed onsite to ensure they never needed grid power? How else could Tesla guarantee$0.07/kWh charging pricing?
Elon recently Tweeted that he is aiming for 30% gross margins and a 10% overall margin in Supercharger operations. He has the pricing power, so I assume he will succeed with that goal.

Edit:
As for price of electricity for semi supercharging, I suspect Elon knows the cost of deploying solar to generate the needed electricity and gave a number appropriate for that cost. Whether he achieves sufficient solar output to meet the semi charging needs remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Welcome to Capitalism. This is the market (economy) regulating itself. Supply and Demand are so fundamental, even I can understand how it works. If you think having Government cherry-pick and put their finger on the scale for certain components of the economy will have some certain desired effect....well, you must be a world class optimist. It is very naive to think the economy can be directed with any precision.
Here - I don't read any Industry CEO's blaming government for their refusal to increase production:

March 2022

U.S. producers reluctant to drill more oil, despite sky-high gas prices​

Here's Nov 2021, Shale Oil and Gas production:

"But, according to other sources, the real reason that Big Oil won’t raise production is a matter of simple economics. Keeping the supply tight is just too good for the bottom line. And if it’s President Biden who will take the heat for high prices at the pumps, that’s just the cherry on top of a very, very lucrative cake. In fact, according to figures from Deloitte LLP, oil explorers in the United States are making more money now than at any other point in the more-than decade-long history of the nation’s shale revolution."

So, please stop pushing your false narrative that the Administration could do something. That's clearly not the case, unless you were thinking "declare Martial Law".

Of course something can be done. Incentives and subsidies are part of the tools of every country. After all, they had, and have, incentives to promote green energy and electric cars for example (good thing of course). They did successfully invoke special acts to push for vaccine development and production - that is how we got the Covid vaccines so fast.

As ExxonMobil said in its response to Biden's plea for more production:

"In the short term, the U.S. government could enact measures often used in emergencies following hurricanes or other supply disruptions -- such as waivers of Jones Act provisions and some fuel specifications to increase supplies, ExxonMobil noted in its response.

“Longer term, government can promote investment through clear and consistent policy that supports U.S. resource development, such as regular and predictable lease sales, as well as streamlined regulatory approval and support for infrastructure such as pipelines,” ExxonMobil added."

So basically the oil companies ARE explicitly saying there is a standard mechanism to induce them to produce more oil. The US government just chose not to do it. It prefers a recession instead.

Last edited:
See what Cramer is saying and assume the opposite… about a 90% success rate. 🥸
That worked great for me about eight years ago when he was saying he “loved the car, hated the stock.” I just wish I would have known about the 90% success rate and invested a lot more. We would be rich instead of very comfortable! (But there is still time…HODL!)

Does somebody know if the pricing is the same for Tesla and non-Tesla users? Or do non-Tesla users pay more?

Non-tesla charging with superchargers will cost more, but is variable per supercharger site. Non-tesla ev owners can opt-in to a lower charging rate by paying for a charging membership

Of course something can be done. Incentives and subsidies are part of the tools of every country. After all, they had, and have, incentives to promote green energy and electric cars for example (good thing of course). They did successfully invoke special acts to push for vaccine development and production - that is how we got the Covid vaccines so fast.

As ExxonMobil said in its response to Biden's plea for more production;

"In the short term, the U.S. government could enact measures often used in emergencies following hurricanes or other supply disruptions -- such as waivers of Jones Act provisions and some fuel specifications to increase supplies, ExxonMobil noted in its response.

“Longer term, government can promote investment through clear and consistent policy that supports U.S. resource development, such as regular and predictable lease sales, as well as streamlined regulatory approval and support for infrastructure such as pipelines,” ExxonMobil added."

So basically the oil companies ARE explicitly saying there is a standard mechanism to induce them to produce more oil. The US government just chose not to do it. It prefers a recession instead.

Whatever Exxon recommends, I'd do the opposite - agenda people!

Similar to my Ford friends who told me months ago that they believe Ford will continue making fewer and fewer ICE while raising the prices in order to maintain margins (while downsizing).

Same happens with Oil prices/production IMO... won't be surprised to see $10/gal by '25; that writing is also on the wall, inflation adjusted. Wrights law working in reverse, prices must rise and last I checked, production improvements for extraction, shipping, or refining are not likely to become more efficient... even if they tried.

Do you really want to second guess Elon? He knows more than 99.9% of the people on this board about BTC.
I think that's exactly the point. No single person has any insight into BTC or any crypto for that matter. There is no insider knowledge, there is no trade secret, no magic way to significantly alter the total supply. Given the slow steady growth the changes in value to BTC are entirely around demand for it.

When overall demand for BTC goes up it goes up. Demand goes down enough the price drops. There is zero fundamental value of BTC coins other than that demand.

“If you ... owned all of the bitcoin in the world and you offered it to me for $25, I wouldn’t take it,” Buffett said. “Because what would I do with it? I’ll have to sell it back to you one way or another. It isn’t going to do anything.”

Crytpo freefall seems to have finally stopped.

Stories of specific wallets being targeted on the blockchains for liquidation. Ethereum was targeted for a sub 900 price to supposedly force liquidation of of about 150,000 ETH. So much for anonymity…

Crypto is canary in coal mine at this point. If it is still recovering come Tuesday then chances of a stable to up market are much better.

Also Nasdaq futures are up

The market almost got me bearish for next week but now I seem to see a Sunny ☀️ weather next week.

Attachments

• 1AA30FE0-A9A5-4B36-9052-AF73FF82D9A2.png
    1AA30FE0-A9A5-4B36-9052-AF73FF82D9A2.png
    408.5 KB · Views: 106

Can't address this site by site, but overall throughout the entire network, Elon has publicly stated that they aim for ~10% profit margins on supercharging. One would assume this means all costs included amortized over a reasonable period (R&D, installation, etc.) and with running costs (maintenance, power, etc.).

Oh, and Elon is a trained economist. He was an Ecpn major.
Fun fact - all Wharton undergraduate degrees are a BS in Economics (Ask me how I know). It’s possible he majored in Econ, but from what I can tell, he mostly focused on Physics. He was in the dual degree program - Engineering and Business.

Forget the training lol, he could go toe to toe with any economist..

OT:

After learning that getting FSD Beta probably requires 100 miles of AP or NOA during the 30 day look-back period, I’ve been making a point of logging 20 such miles a day last week. After the fourth such outing yesterday I was pretty sure I had crossed the 100 mile mark, and sure enough late last night i finally received the update!

Many thanks to @Mark II for bringing this to the attention of TMC in another thread:

Here is the source of the info:

100 miles on autosteer. I would assume that means where the car steers is a minimum requirement. I don't think it means you also need NOA.
There is a possibility that I learned of this requirement in this thread, in which case I apologize for this duplication.

P.S. It is absolutely amazing, (and just a bit scary!)

OT:

After learning that getting FSD Beta probably requires 100 miles of AP or NOA during the 30 day look-back period, I’ve been making a point of logging 20 such miles a day last week. After the fourth such outing yesterday I was pretty sure I had crossed the 100 mile mark, and sure enough late last night i finally received the update!

Many thanks to @Mark II for bringing this to the attention of TMC in another thread:

There is a possibility that I learned of this requirement in this thread, in which case I apologize for this duplication.

P.S. It is absolutely amazing, (and just a bit scary!)
Really makes it seems like except the name change from Beta to Wide Release, FSD is in fact in wide release now.