Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where you start from really does matter, which is not to say that there is a lot of debt to unwind & that current conditions are a fine moment to do it

Just a different way to view (some) of the data. I, personally, found the original chart more interesting because I don't think the story ends here and liked to see what history has offered from here. I found it insightful to see that in only 7 other times in history have we ever not improved by the end of the year from here. Also found it insightful to see that at this exact time in Jan-Dec, we've only been worse 2 other times.

BTW, I think the reformatted, 12-month period graph could easy be fully re-created by pulling the freely available data from FIREcalc, checking the "provide data and formulas in a spreadsheet format" option under the "investigate" tab...

The difference is the leadership of those other companies are smart enough not to repeatedly make divisive statements.
Elon is very intelligent and mostly rational. I think he forgets or just doesn't realize that most people are not in that category. He is on the spectrum after all.

We just sold our 2015 Model S 90D on FB Marketplace. We also listed it in our condo building and on Craig's List. It was Standard White Exterior and Standard Black Interior. It had 2.5 K autopilot, upgrade of 3K to 90D and Obeche Wood- $750. The car was in very good/excellent condition with 85 K miles with some blemishes on the rims. We believe it also has free supercharging for the life of the car or until Tesla figures something out to disengage. It sold in 4 days for 45 K. We felt we may have gotten a bit more, but we have a Plaid coming this Wednesday and had to have a parking space available in our condo building for the Plaid. I recommend FB Marketplace. I agree TESLA demand is excellent ! Our 7 year old car with 85K miles went fast! And Dedham Tesla was aggressive about the Plaid being delivered in this quarter. All good signs IMHO.

Based on this graphic, Texas is the most progressing, clean energy friendly state. California, Arizona, New Mexico all underdelivering.
Does anyone know what all the "other" is in California? I assume geothermal is never utility scale.
Don't forget that is total production, not % produced/consumed. Texas is our 2nd most populous state. In 2017 numbers at least, CA produces far more green energy as a %. Texas, and other red states such as Kansas, Oklahoma etc. are all on the right path though. Renewables are just cheaper.

Everyone whining about Elons political views not aligning with yours: What the h*ll is wrong with you guys? You insist on the right to have your own opinion, but everyone that does not have the same as you doesn't have the very same right?

Maybe, just maybe, you should care more about what Elon actually does - we have the hottest heatwave in central Europe in ages, climate change is kicking in, population is falling apart because of more left- and right-wing extremism everywhere...?!

"goal is to have the furthest left and right 10% equally unhappy" - this is Elon.

Stop with your stupid cancel culture just because someone does what you also do: have his/her own opinion.
Elon can have his own opinion. Tha point (this is simply a fact) is that he the richest guy in the world with 100M twitter followers and he's the best thing that happened in media/SEO since the invention of the internet. His name is all around the place and... he kinda likes it.
For better or worse, he likes the spotlight.
Now, many of us don't agree with some his political opinions but *moreover* that he states them apparently without much thought all the time on his channels. We think that *this* (along the memes and trolling etc.) plays directly along the plans of his powerful detractors, and so is detrimental to the mission.
We may be wrong but it's a reasonable opinion. As long as he does what he does, fine by me, but I see an issue nonetheless. He's gaining support from the right, apparently, but just on the political side, not sure on the environmental one. He's surely losing support on the left side. We'll see.
I hope this at least will make him sell a ton of Cybertrucks in red states. And Semis.

PS: "cancel culture" is a trigger word that's tossed around all the time, we would be better off not using it. It actually helps the discourse.

The difference is the leadership of those other companies are smart enough not to repeatedly make divisive statements.
Of course, you’re right. Those company leaders simply lie to people, tell them what they want to hear so as not to upset their sensibilities. Those leaders quietly line their pockets and support industrial corruption.

Totally a better way to be.

Last edited:
Don't forget that is total production, not % produced/consumed. Texas is our 2nd most populous state. In 2017 numbers at least, CA produces far more green energy as a %. Texas, and other red states such as Kansas, Oklahoma etc. are all on the right path though. Renewables are just cheaper.

Interestingly, the regulatory environment in the red states has also been much friendlier to utility scale wind and solar up to this point. Look how much difficulty Mass. had getting offshore wind going. Somewhat ironic.

Interestingly, the regulatory environment in the red states has also been much friendlier to utility scale wind and solar up to this point. Look how much difficulty Mass. had getting offshore wind going. Somewhat ironic.
I'd guess it's because of "perfect is the enemy of good".

He's gaining support from the right, apparently, but just on the political side, not sure on the environmental one. He's surely losing support on the left side. We'll see.

From In the American EV Market, What Drives the Interested and Holds Back the Hesitant?:
From a political standpoint, 44% of EV-interested consumers identify as Democrats, while 23% say they are Republicans. The difference may stem from opposing views on sustainability. Interestingly, the political divide is much narrower for those considering Tesla, the most dominant brand in the EV market. As of April, there was only a 2 percentage point gap between Democrats and Republicans who are considering buying a Tesla, according to Morning Consult Brand Intelligence data. And bucking general EV trends, Republicans trust Tesla more than Democrats do, likely because of the higher favorability of founder Elon Musk among the former group.

Of course, you’re right. Those company leaders simply lie to people, tell them what they don’t want to hear so as not to upset their sensibilities. Those leaders quietly line their pockets and support corruption.
I don't even know who most of those leaders are or what they say about anything. Thus I can focus solely on the products they produce. Again I'll point out that until recently Elon had enough sense not to be overtly divisive. That has changed. I think it's a mistake. Other's think it's impossible for him to make mistakes.

Elon can have his own opinion. Tha point (this is simply a fact) is that he the richest guy in the world with 100M twitter followers and he's the best thing that happened in media/SEO since the invention of the internet. His name is all around the place and... he kinda likes it.
For better or worse, he likes the spotlight.
Now, many of us don't agree with some his political opinions but *moreover* that he states them apparently without much thought all the time on his channels. We think that *this* (along the memes and trolling etc.) plays directly along the plans of his powerful detractors, and so is detrimental to the mission.
We may be wrong but it's a reasonable opinion. As long as he does what he does, fine by me, but I see an issue nonetheless. He's gaining support from the right, apparently, but just on the political side, not sure on the environmental one. He's surely losing support on the left side. We'll see.
I hope this at least will make him sell a ton of Cybertrucks in red states. And Semis.

PS: "cancel culture" is a trigger word that's tossed around all the time, we would be better off not using it. It actually helps the discourse.
Top comments from cleantechnica' Elon is off the rails" article on Facebook. I used to see "Teslas catches on fire" as the top comments but this is what I see lately. Whoever he lost from the left gained a bunch from the sensible.

Also whoever that's so anti Musk from the left are losing the plot. Musk is solving climate change, the government is pandering for votes and are willing to nuke their own agenda to do it. Musk is willing to nuke his own supporters to gain more supporters and to build factories faster. I put my money on Musk as the doer not the talker..people can cancel him all they want.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220620-102908_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220620-102908_Facebook.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 123
Or how utility companies in CA are trying to neuter and stop residential solar completely in its tracks...even though this proposal was temporarily defeated, it illustrates the disfunctional thinking the CA PUC shares with the greedy utility companies.

Top comments from cleantechnica' Elon is off the rails" article on Facebook. I used to see "Teslas catches on fire" as the top comments but this is what I see lately. Whoever he lost from the left gained a bunch from the sensible.

Also whoever that's so anti Musk from the left are losing the plot. Musk is solving climate change, the government is pandering for votes and are willing to nuke their own agenda to do it. Musk is willing to nuke his own supporters to gain more supporters and to build factories faster. I put my money on Musk as the doer not the talker..people can cancel him all they want.
Elon is willing to Nuke govt support for fighting climate change.