Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He never looks into why younger adults arent choosing to have kids or waiting longer. In this regards he doesnt understand the regular people. He has several children with multiple women. He seems to spend some time with his kids, but he and the women have all sorts of support to take care of the kids, to avoid the day to day taking care of kids, of getting them from place to place, cleaning up after them etc. Tesla is combatting Climate Change, but Climate Change that continues to occur has little chance of having any effect on his families lifestyle. Young adults and kids are afraid of the world that us older adults are going to leave behind.

I push back on the unrealized taxation ideas, but not higher income taxes and higher social security taxes, also expanding medicare and yes we all will pay more for it. Simply because we pay for it anyway. It isnt about paying more for healthcare it is about paying for healthcare in the most efficient means possible.
OT:

I'm really not trying to be argumentative.

I agree with you there are a myriad complex and very justifiable reasons why there are far fewer kids now than before. But it is a problem, and it is a problem that nobody in the world was/or is able to solve. Various solutions have been tried, across the entire political and social spectrum, from forced breeding to huge financial and maternal benefits.

In the end none of it works. The best predictor for number of kids is still lack of money - the poorer one is, the more kids one has.

Of course the solution can not be to get poor in order to save civilisation :)

But there seems to be precious few workable solutions.

Personally, on a 50 plus year horizon, I am hoping/counting on revolutions in biomedicine and AI and technology. More concretely, in a combination of longevity progress and growing babies outside the body, cared for by robots. If one read Asimov's Solaria - well something like that. The thing is, it actually seems possible - in a 20 to 50 year time scale:
- cheap, caring, smart, ubiquitous robots - check - Tesla will deliver.
- longevity - there is a HUGE amount of ongoing research addressing the root causes of death, and there is huge progress in achieving significantly longer lifespans for mice. Serious trials for humans are ongoing. In principle, there is no fundamental reason we should die, if we identify properly all the reasons cells age, if we can return old cells to the younger state (Yamanaka factors), if we can eliminate senescent cells, etc - and there is truly impresive progress in these fields.
- growing babies outside of uterus - there is also significant progress towards creating artificial wombs, and I would be surprised if it is not realized within 50 years.

I am not saying this is a GOOD future - frankly, many aspects of it seem completely terrifying. I am saying though that it is a realistic solution to the depopulation catastrophe coming upon us. And actually a likely future.

Last edited:
That’s a big ole pile of beetle dung from you. If you don’t know who those leaders are, then you simply didn’t put in the effort to research them and follow them. And clearly the products they have to offer have little to no potential to change all our lives (or yours) significantly, or you’d be knee deep in it.

So, what you’re really not happy about is that the only corporate leader you feel was worth following and supporting, doesn’t always believe as you do. Yeah, that’s not a question.
I buy useful products all the time from many companies, I have no idea what their CEO's think or who most of them are.

Elon has never believed as I do on all things nor do I expect him to. I did expect him to act on first principles as has in the past and not be purposely divisive. I know you can't see the difference but it exists.

Young adults and kids are afraid of the world that us older adults are going to leave behind.
My 16 year old step daughter was telling me the other day that she and her friends discuss that they will not have children as they fear the worst from climate change. Our family has been active in home electrification and EV adoption, both in the public and governmental arenas. She herself has been active, and even has had articles published about her endeavors. But to realize that still, she suffers from "climate depression" breaks my heart. At least, in my case, my children will never say to me, "why didn't you do anything about it when you still could?"

"climate anxiety felt by 10,000 young people aged 16-25 from countries in the global south and north. In the survey, 77% said “the future is frightening”, 68% feel sad, and 63% feel anxious. 39% feel “hesitant to have children”. This distress correlates with a belief that climate action from governments is inadequate."

"It is psychologically devastating to feel climate and ecological catastrophe closing in every day while watching those in power not only failing to act, but actively making things worse by expanding the fossil fuel industry. Instead of more empty words and distractions, humanity desperately needs real action. World leaders must orchestrate a rapid end to the fossil fuel industry, for the sake of us all – but especially for the sake of young people."

Above is quoted from link below:

Wow. Tell that to the Chinese government because it's an national emergency over there trying to lift birthrate. From public shaming to government incentives for every birth, the Chinese sees this to be a major issue.

Yeah. It's bad for China. But it isn't bad for humanity. Big difference.

Elon is a smart guy, but he isn't right about everything. The BTC purchase, TWTR offer, and constant political commentary are obvious unforced errors. Maybe it is the right thing for Elon personally, but no way are these a net positive for TSLA.

Based on this graphic, Texas is the most progressing, clean energy friendly state. California, Arizona, New Mexico all underdelivering.
Does anyone know what all the "other" is in California? I assume geothermal is never utility scale.

According to this, these are the planned solar capacity additions by state (MW):

12,606 Texas
7,145 California
4,198 Nevada
2,711 Ohio
2,398 New York
2,367 Florida
1,799 Colorado
1,732 Virginia
1,681 Illinois
1,489 Wisconsin
1,466 Oregon
1,262 North Carolina
1,128 Arizona
901 Utah
891 New Mexico
855 Arkansas
659 Georgia
596 Mississippi
526 Indiana
520 Louisiana
421 Kentucky
421 Michigan
401 Tennessee
350 Pennsylvania
340 Alabama
340 Washington
310 Hawaii
310 Montana
252 Maine
250 Oklahoma
214 Delaware
151 Connecticut
131 Minnesota
127 Maryland
110 New Hampshire
104 Iowa
81 Nebraska
80 Rhode Island
63 Massachusetts
50 West Virginia
38 New Jersey
10 Missouri
8 Vermont
2 Kansas
1 DC

New England NIMBYism FTL…

Elon is exposing the motives of people that are true hypocrites IMHO. His mission is ongoing and he even said more BS will be thrown his way. The wolves in sheep clothing are having their covers pulled.
I hope people start looking at their own ACTIONS because INTENTIONS are just fantasy. Very clear now who is really stopping climate disruption.

Looking at Twitter Elon now has 98.9 Million followers. The good news is spreading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. It's bad for China. But it isn't bad for humanity. Big difference.

Elon is a smart guy, but he isn't right about everything. The BTC purchase, TWTR offer, and constant political commentary are obvious unforced errors. Maybe it is the right thing for Elon personally, but no way are these a net positive for TSLA.
Except it's happening everywhere that was lifted from poor standard of living. Seems to be a hard cap the more technologically advance and higher the standard of living is. This means we will see a huge shift in population when it comes to skilled workers in stable governed countries vs countries with poor infrastructure and failed state governments which is not a positive to the stability of the world.

So much more scope for renewables. UK Government restricted land-based wind & solar due to NIMBYism (Not In My Back Yard), fossil fuel lies etc. We could be much higher than we are.

It wouldn't take much to double, even 10 times the capacity in order to have enough even on a still, dark day. Then add in (Tesla) storage to really make an effective solution.

1655741150437.png

1655741311108.png
at approximately 5pm!

1655741365357.png

It's never OK to hate someone just for having a different opinion.
this is a dangerously stupid thing to pretend to believe, and it's exactly how bigotry and misinformation thrives and survives, when people make the stupid mistake of believing all opinions are valid.

many opinions are worthy of extreme condemnation.

this is a dangerously stupid thing to pretend to believe, and it's exactly how bigotry and misinformation thrives and survives, when people make the stupid mistake of believing all opinions are valid.

But can't you disagree with people's opinions without hating that person?

In the end none of it works. The best predictor for number of kids is still lack of money - the poorer one is, the more kids one has.

Of course the solution can not be to get poor in order to save civilisation :)

But there seems to be precious few workable solutions.

Personally, on a 50 plus year horizon, I am hoping/counting on revolutions in biomedicine and AI and technology. More concretely, in a combination of longevity progress and growing babies outside the body, cared for by robots. If one read Asimov's Solaria - well something like that. The thing is, it actually seems possible - in a 20 to 50 year time scale:
- cheap, caring, smart, ubiquitous robots - check - Tesla will deliver.
- longevity - there is a HUGE amount of ongoing research addressing the root causes of death, and there is huge progress in achieving significantly longer lifespans for mice. Serious trials for humans are ongoing. In principle, there is no fundamental reason we should die, if we identify properly all the reasons cells age, if we can return old cells to the younger state (Yamanaka factors), if we can eliminate senescent cells, etc - and there is truly impresive progress in these fields.
- growing babies outside of uterus - there is also significant progress towards creating artificial wombs, and I would be surprised if it is not realized within 50 years.

I am not saying this is a GOOD future - frankly, many aspects of it seem completely terrifying. I am saying though that it is a realistic solution to the depopulation catastrophe coming upon us. And actually a likely future.
Most people around me in old Europe are not having (more) kids because housing costs too much (among other expenses) or because taking the time to care for their children would force them to work less (i.e less resources to support the family).

Maybe there's a middle ground between being so poor you're procreating lavishly, and so rich you don't even want kids.

Hoping for technological solution is okay but maybe we can start looking at the socioeconomic situation as it is: money keeps accumulating in the hands of already-rich boomers who'll wait for their death to see their wealth being transmitted to already-rich kids– all the while more and more people believe that he re-distribution of inheritance from ultra rich families should be taxed even less. But I'm pretty sure people will riot earlier than that, and "technologicial disruption" as a solution for social issues will be less of a priority. Sigh.

Reactions: aubreymcfato
I buy useful products all the time from many companies, I have no idea what their CEO's think or who most of them are.

Elon has never believed as I do on all things nor do I expect him to. I did expect him to act on first principles as has in the past and not be purposely divisive. I know you can't see the difference but it exists.
Oh, stop. Because what you just said was that you expected Elon to be perfect and non-human. 🙄 Yes, you did. He gets to believe differently than you as long as he’s consistent in ways you think he should be. Here’s a shocker for you; people are complex and walking conundrums. Even I am sometimes a nice human being.

That's exactly the opposite my man. Dismissing opinions as "not valid" or suppressing opinions by force is exactly what happened to sensible people in nazi Germany. It's our job to change people's mind, not our jobs to suppress voices.