Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
YOUR MODERATOR’S LITTLE EXPERIMENT

…in learning and exposing to all what would happen were “free speech” to be allowed to operate in this thread -

* only for a little while
* amongst only this relatively select group; a group in which effectively all participants already share a deep respect for Mr Musk and a very strong, self-interested desire for Tesla to succeed.

The result, clear to all, is chaos and vitriol. Very disheartening but absolutely expected.

I rest my case regarding Twitter and free speech. Thank you all for your input. You may collect your bag of M&Ms at the exit door.

I hate saying it (not in agreeing with you personally, but siding with greens) but you are probably correct. Too many in the climate change camp are unreasonable zealots. "Don't build an EV factory! That just keeps the car lifestyle going. Everyone should move to a city and bike around." vs "Climate change isn't real but these are good jobs and provide tax revenue to pay for more flag lapel pins."

Two points I make to such people.

It’s not just about cars. Trucks, vans, utes, earth movers, buses, tractors, storage. All need cheap batteries which are the result of cars bootstrapping the battery industry. To build one house requires hundreds of truck movements. Try building houses with bicycles.

It’s not about *reducing* fossil fuel combustion, it’s about eliminating it. If the Keeling Curve keeps rising at a reduced slope, the greenhouse effect continues to strengthen.

TBH I’m constantly surprised Reddit is still used… it has one of the worst formats on the internet.
It's because of the terrible format that it is so successful. The upvote/downvote in thousands of subreddits model encourages forming of safe spaces, bubbles, and silos, which is what the people want these days. Being exposed to contrary opinions is regarded as "problematic", "unsafe", "disturbing", "micro-aggression", etc.

This is not inherently a political concept, but rather the culmination of modern Internet style social media and human tribalism on a global scale. Reddit is the final evolution of the new tribalism which is built on belief, not family groups like in history.

Agree with your comments. The political aspect that impacts Tesla is this: California is unquestionably one of the bluest states and also has some of the best solar irradiance in the continental US. If California struggles to offer the political support and fortitude necessary for this disruptive wave of affordable and renewable energy because of (whatever), it's a headwind for Tesla energy. Surprising and disappointing to me too.
It can be a valid concern, but again, when this thread started we were looking at a graph of NEW solar projects (a bunch of folks seem to have missed that detail). California has a ton of EXISTING solar projects, as shown by the later Wikipedia post in this same thread. Something like 48% of Cali generation was non-hydro renewables, if I remember that Wikipedia chart correctly (apologies, too hurried right now to double check but I think that's right).
Solar has done well in Cali. Perhaps its additional buildout has slowed, but (most of) the rest of the states would do well to catch up to where Cali is right now.

That Elon knows how to play that game, decided to play the game on our behalf, and then played the game better than any businessman in the history of the game is applause worthy, not condemnation worthy. He beat them at their own game and look at how we all benefited from that?
We actually agree on this. I value this talent very much.
We probably agree he did the same with the Trump administration.
We disagree on the fact that I would have hoped he could do the same with the Biden administration for the sake of the mission.
Both parties are to blame for this, of course.

His overblown concern about population decrease which is not remotely close to happening nor would it be a negative if it did happen.

No, I think that’s smart.

He’s breaking down opposition to Tesla bot by triggering fear of who will do the work/nursing under an inverted age pyramid.

He justifiably does fear population decline. He understands the relationship between education and birth rate. He can see how Starlink delivers education to every location. He extrapolates better and further than most.

…in learning and exposing to all what would happen were “free speech” to be allowed to operate in this thread -

* amongst only this relatively select group; a group in which effectively all participants already share a deep respect for Mr Musk and a very strong, self-interested desire for Tesla to succeed.

The result, clear to all, is chaos and vitriol. Very disheartening but absolutely expected.

I rest my case regarding Twitter and free speech. Thank you all for your input. You may collect your bag of M&Ms at the exit door.
So, basically humans continue to do what they’ve done since the dawn of man? How enlightening.

I obviously have a higher tolerance for chaos and vitriol because I thought neither was particularly evident. I’m not mad at anyone and I’ve learned interesting things about a number of individuals. It’s not like sunshine and rainbows from everyone is going to get them invites.

Market is closed today. Hopefully everyone is enjoying today in other ways... I'm keeping up poolside. Happy Juneteenth!View attachment 818891
We are mowing and posting via Starlink
Screenshot_20220620-150835.png
on sunshine! 😎

Looking at Cali’s “duck curve”, that 6.9GW of stationary storage would almost eliminate it provided that they are rated for four hours!

View attachment 818881

Take a rough look at the values on the left… will brownouts and the recent unreliability soon be a thing of the past?
A big chunk of Californias reliability issues revolve around PG&E's poor power line maintenance and fire hazards rather than actual power use.

The big fix for reliability for many is to swap out PG&E for Tesla power. If Tesla could double the speed of installations they would have no trouble finding buyers. I suspect homes with their own battery storage will help flatten the duck curve out quite a bit.

Unless the state starts keeps trying to pander to the power companies and ends up selling out solar homeowners.

Except on Twitter you can quiesce and turn off speech that doesn't interest you, within your little world. The chaos and vitriol will continue, but you can shield yourself from that and listen/participate in healthy conversations, if you choose to. No different from the real world. Something that is impossible to do here in TMC. Hence the need to have more moderation in TMC.

And here is the interesting thing. If I want to see what the other side - the haters and scumbags and trolls and the media - are saying, I can take a little peek if I want to, from time to time, without losing my sanity

Except on Twitter you can quiesce and turn off speech that doesn't interest you, within your little world. The chaos and vitriol will continue, but you can shield yourself from that and listen/participate in healthy conversations, if you choose to. No different from the real world. Something that is impossible to do here in TMC. Hence the need to have more moderation in TMC.

And here is the interesting thing. If I want to see what the other side - the haters and scumbags and trolls and the media - are saying, I can take a little peek if I want to, from time to time, without losing my sanity
This thread is just that, a single thread. If you look at the forum as a whole, political discussion doesn't dominate the discussion. This is more representative of what Twitter is like. There are pockets of political discourse, but it's easy enough to walk away from. With this thread, political discussion gets trapped.

Twitter for me is far less toxic than this thread is when it's not moderated. If I see a tweet that clearly goes down that rabbit hole, I just move on and don't follow it.

So, basically humans continue to do what they’ve done since the dawn of man? How enlightening.

I obviously have a higher tolerance for chaos and vitriol because I thought neither was particularly evident. I’m not mad at anyone and I’ve learned interesting things about a number of individuals. It’s not like sunshine and rainbows from everyone is going to get them invites.
Civility is underrated by many people and considered as ‘weak’. Without civility fruitful conversations are hard to conduct. Many sites, such as Twitter and Reddit are awash with bots and vitriol.

All of us should be grateful that mods will donate copious time helping to maintain civility. I haven’t been here long, having given up due to endless bickering. It is the promise of serious self discipline, aided by more aggressive mods, that made me return.

Two points I make to such people.

It’s not just about cars. Trucks, vans, utes, earth movers, buses, tractors, storage. All need cheap batteries which are the result of cars bootstrapping the battery industry. To build one house requires hundreds of truck movements. Try building houses with bicycles.

It’s not about *reducing* fossil fuel combustion, it’s about eliminating it. If the Keeling Curve keeps rising at a reduced slope, the greenhouse effect continues to strengthen.
I went to a EV expo at Noosa on the weekend,

One interesting exhibit was a manual conversion of a Semi, I heard him say the conversion cost was $100,000 AUD.
I was going to ask some questions, but he was surrounded by a few trucking people, and they were deep in conversation.

The Tesla Semi will have a big impact.

The other interesting vehicle was a Chinese EV mini bus about the size we use here for an airport shuttle, I can also see a big market for that vehicle, I don't remember the brand, but it was well designed and executed.

He never looks into why younger adults arent choosing to have kids or waiting longer. In this regards he doesnt understand the regular people. He has several children with multiple women. He seems to spend some time with his kids, but he and the women have all sorts of support to take care of the kids, to avoid the day to day taking care of kids, of getting them from place to place, cleaning up after them etc. Tesla is combatting Climate Change, but Climate Change that continues to occur has little chance of having any effect on his families lifestyle. Young adults and kids are afraid of the world that us older adults are going to leave behind.

I push back on the unrealized taxation ideas, but not higher income taxes and higher social security taxes, also expanding medicare and yes we all will pay more for it. Simply because we pay for it anyway. It isnt about paying more for healthcare it is about paying for healthcare in the most efficient means possible.
OT
Most children today that are in their late twenties will probably make it to the mid 80's. A normal retirement age (NRA) for these "kids", of 67 to begin drawing full retirement benefits for the next 15-20 years makes no sense.
Social Security (SS) could be made solvent by increasing the NRA and SS withholding earnings limits.
Medicare costs however is a real head scratcher.

Last edited:
For those who are into SSD/hardware developments I offer a very simplistic analogy that I see - It looks like the battery (pack) evolution looks quite similar to SSD memory modules evolution. There have always been cost/reliability/speed function for those. Now, for the SSD it went from MLC to TLC to QLC. It looks to me that the evolution of battery form factor/chemistry and BMS need to provide some wiggle room to get the battery pack for particular purpose. 18650, 2170, 4860 have been introduced to get to the speed/volume of batteries that Tesla need.

No, I don't consider this a mirror like analogy, but there is something to it, IMO.

Hope this is better than politics.