Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what “number” are the MM targeting this week? Anyone know? And is anyone buying? I’m thinking about buying more today/this week but not sure what number to set it at.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most people aren't rational when it comes to buying a car, or at least not entirely rational.

Many think it defines who they are and continue buying what their dad and grandfather was buying and feel a pride of being loyal to their legacy brand. Must be a way to justify their repeated wrong choice and share the responsibility of these bad choices for the planet over multiple generations.

A friend of mine kept guying GM products because his father had a Chevrolet Caprice and everybody was sold to the Volt until…. GM cancelled it. His wife bought a Model 3 2 years ago and he is planning to switch once his 200,000 miles Volt dies.

After reading recent discussions regarding Tesla and PR departments, and after reading a lot of Gary Black (someone who I often find myself agreeing with these days), I think that he has a fair point that Tesla has NO PROBLEM with short term demand, but long term demand could take a hit through lack of PR.

Its REALLY hard to change 'common knowledge' about a brand. For example, I have no idea of skoda cars are well made, or reliable, or safe, but historically, I know they had a reputation for being laughable, cheap, fragile rubbish. They could spend billions trying to change my mind, but that first impression is real deep.
  • Apple products are overpriced
  • Chinese made goods are cheap and fall apart
  • Germans are efficient and made reliable products
  • Russian companies cannot be trusted.
  • Porsches are fast
  • Gucci is stylish

Maybe none of those things are true now? who knows! but these things have been so deep-set in my mind that its hard to change such opinions. Mostly these are opinions formed by PR and marketing. I've never even sat in a Porsche, but I know they are sexy and fast. How is this different to never having sat in a Tesla, but knowing they have panel gaps and catch fire?

I think Elon is basically one of those people who is so intelligent, he has reverse dunning-kruger, where he assumes everyone is intelligent, open-minded and analytical like he is. BUT THEY ARE NOT! In fact very few people are.

Advertising works, and PR works. I've never owned a Porsche, or anything by Gucci, but i've been 'primed' by PR and marketing to have opinions on them. Right now, Tesla is letting the rivals throw free punches at them in the media.
I agree that advertising right now would be a ludicrous waste of money, but PR is different. Way cheaper, and potentially more effective. PR to get facts out there for the media, in a hand-dandy format for their stories, and PR to get Teslas in to the hands of the movers and shakers and influencers.

We wouldn't need to care if Tesla stuck at 1 million car/year, but to hit 10 million a year you need to stop the deluge of bullshit about accidents and fires and emerald mine and so on.
Decades ago, GM faced the same FUD, in an environment where creating and distributing FUD was much harder. ONE anti-capitalist nut wrote a book called "Unsafe at any Speed" attacking the Chevrolet Corvair. A car that was as "safe" as any vehicle of it's time. GM tried to counter, with their massive PR and marketing departments. It did no good. Later GM built poor quality cars compared to their Japanese competition. No advertising or PR budget overcame that. Now we have Jim Cramer and POTUS singing the praises of GM, along with that same PR department. Yet they still shipped a total of ~450 EVs last quarter, most of them some of the worst on the market. Not sure I see the advantage of spending $millions on advertising when you don't have a good product.

Decades ago, GM faced the same FUD, in an environment where creating and distributing FUD was much harder. ONE anti-capitalist nut wrote a book called "Unsafe at any Speed" attacking the Chevrolet Corvair. A car that was as "safe" as any vehicle of it's time. GM tried to counter, with their massive PR and marketing departments. It did no good. Later GM built poor quality cars compared to their Japanese competition. No advertising or PR budget overcame that. Now we have Jim Cramer and POTUS singing the praises of GM, along with that same PR department. Yet they still shipped a total of ~450 EVs last quarter, most of them some of the worst on the market. Not sure I see the advantage of spending $millions on advertising when you don't have a good product.

GM banked a huge amount of goodwill from their actions 80 years ago. It was a long time ago, and GM is arguably a much different company today- but it was a monumental effort to save the world from tyranny. POTUS is of a generation that remembers.

Back into the 700's! May we never see 600's again until after the 3:1 split.
I have this theory that it's not just volatility that MMs and banks want for the daily churn, but perhaps they aim to set a pattern to get people to trade a little more. Then snap, it jumps up and without an MMD. How many people were waiting for their price today, meanwhile, who's holding those shares now as it climbs? This is where HODLing works.

Now as to the economy and recession talk, I'd like to think it ain't gonna happen - to us.

Wow. So many posts arguing with me that tesla should not spend any money on advertising, when my post literally says that tesla should not spend money on advertising. I'm not sure who you are arguing with here?

I literally said:
Hey...don't worry about it....been extra salty over here the last few months. This too, shall pass :)

Wow. So many posts arguing with me that tesla should not spend any money on advertising, when my post literally says that tesla should not spend money on advertising. I'm not sure who you are arguing with here?

I literally said:
But you left the door open. In this moment you say no advertising, but tomorrow you could say they should do it.

Mostly, it’s just a tired 5+ yr old argument. I’m not even sure why anyone who’s been here more than a second wouldn’t know what’s going to happen on this front.

Tesla will not advertise for the foreseeable future. That’s it in a nutshell.