Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spent some time on the Mustang forums trying to understand the contactor issue better. It appears this has been known issue for a while as several owners had failures.

The consensus amongst the owners was:

1. Avoid WOT. (Wide Open Throttle)
2. Avoid DC fast charging.
3. A lot of worry on the shortening of the 5 sec limit for WOT which existed since the car has be launched. That shortening of this time maybe the "software" fix Ford plans.

My take.

A Mustang that can not do WOT is not a Mustang. Ford decided on the Mustang name and it should really live up to the heritage. Honestly hope Ford gets its act together.
The Ford Lightning racing again a Tesla and the truck limits the power down to 74% and then back up again so they must have the same WOT issues.
Go to the 7 minute mark.. The teslas racing that day (well everyday) we’re crushing everything that lined up against them. 💪

$TSLA is up 9.35% today...we should be rejoicing for a few hours at least!!... Tough crowd!!!!
Nothing to rejoice about. We’re easily $500 below where we should be. The SP should reflect the company’s future and financial health. I don’t care if the world is burning, the current SP is not a true or correct reflection of the company in this moment of time. We’re being played and I don’t like it. Show up on my doorstep and I’ll rip these crooks a new pocket for their pocket protectors.

Nothing to rejoice about. We’re easily $500 below where we should be. The SP should reflect the company’s future and financial health. I don’t care if the world is burning, the current SP is not a true or correct reflection of the company in this moment of time. We’re being played and I don’t like it. Show up on my doorstep and I’ll rip these crooks a new pocket for their pocket protectors.
I agree 100%..which is why i have been reiterating my next buy price at $1243.50!!!!

The Ford Lightning racing again a Tesla and the truck limits the power down to 74% and then back up again so they must have the same WOT issues.
Go to the 7 minute mark.. The teslas racing that day (well everyday) we’re crushing everything that lined up against them. 💪
So much for towing uphill with a heavy load.

Wait, let me get this straight. Ford can afford the margin hit to include Tesla adapters to troll, but not high quality components?

I mentioned this a few pages back, but this is the big advantage of Tesla scaling more slowly.

It took Tesla nearly 10 years to get their volume from 0 to 50k/ year. That means when they were making their mistakes, they were producing 100s or 1000s of cars per year. When they had issues, they had to fix/ recall 100s or 1000s of cars.

Ford scaled their production from nearly 0 to 50,000/ year in 1 year. Ford's first big gotcha is a 50,000 vehicle recall.

Legacy auto figured they would just stroll right in and take over. Oops.

And the same can be said of the Chevy Bolt EV, Hyandai Kona EV, and several flavors of Kia EV. These all had major battery issues affecting tens of thousands of vehicles.

Hard to say, I just recall a couple years back, Apple had a hardware defect in one of their phones where it was crashing and they "Fixed" it by throttling the CPU sooner and there was a big lawsuit over it.
Your "recall" is simply a memory of Apple FUD. While you may know enough about Tesla to see FUD and recognize it, with Apple you just eat it up like all the other ignorati. Go ahead, try to produce anything real to justify that description of events, if you want to waste the time. And that doesn't mean find the FUD, it means find the facts.

Your "recall" is simply a memory of Apple FUD. While you may know enough about Tesla to see FUD and recognize it, with Apple you just eat it up like all the other ignorati. Go ahead, try to produce anything real to justify that description of events, if you want to waste the time. And that doesn't mean find the FUD, it means find the facts.
Does this count?

Does this count?

Thanks for saving me the search. I'd forgotten how big that settlement was.

Not entirely sure why someone would get so butt hurt over a throw away comment (which generally reflects reality).

EDIT: I suppose you could argue it wasn't a hardware flaw. I don't think it remotely matters in this context though. Apple lost the lawsuit regardless.

PS: I've made many times more on Apple than on Tesla.

Last edited:
Thanks for saving me the search. I'd forgotten how big that settlement was.

Never liked Apple, refuse to use their products.

It's a personal experience, but back when I was in college (early 90s - yep, dates me), I worked in my university computer store. There was a demo Mac setup. Apple had been touting how they were "dual OS" machines because you could run Apple OS (pre-OS X, lol), and Windows 3.11 on their machine. Well, I was a Windows 95 beta tester and I hacked the Mac to run that as well. The local Apple rep heard from my manager what I had done, and came by the next day, boxed up the machine, and shipped it to Cupertino. 2 weeks after Microsoft released Windows 95, I saw my work on an Apple machine claiming to run Windows 95 as well. Was it ground-breaking? No. Would I have liked the rep to stop by, say thanks, give me some free swag? Yep.

Anyway, I missed the Apple stock boat because of stubbornness from that experience, and Microsoft is no better, but Apple doesn't have a sterling history either.

Curious to get everyone's opinions as to whether the P&D Q2 numbers will have a positive or negative impact on the short term stock price.

Will they be taken in context of Shanghai shutdown or at face value? Knowing how fickle the market is I can see it going either way.

Dan

Wall Street usually likes to use year-on-year comparisons, so even at the lower 250k expectations it would represent solid growth on last years Q2 201k deliveries.

Presumably Tesla will point out the Shanghai disruptions in the P&D release, but also hopefully Tesla mentions end of quarter run rates.

I don’t think they will provide guidance on the P&D however as further Shanghai closures remain an ongoing possibility as long as China maintains its zero-covid policy. For similar reasons I think forward looking statement on the earnings call will be about production capacity expectations rather than actual delivery expectations (with production capacity in the end being the much more important metric)

What are the upcoming news dates for Tesla?

early July? - Q2 Produced/Delivered report?
7/20/22 - Q2 Earnings Announcement
8/4/2022 - Annual Shareholder Meeting
9/30/2022 - Tesla AI Day 2

Anything else of significance?

Elon said AI Day 2 should show a working prototype of Tesla Bot, which could be the most significant news of the year... or many years.

As @StarFoxisDown! has explained, Wall St is currently underestimating Tesla's future growth, despite Tesla's guidance and the obvious trends. Most published financial modeling ignores the potential of Tesla Energy. It ignores the potential of FSD and robotaxis. It laughs at Tesla Bot. Media articles spit on the latter.

But what will happen if Elon's teams deliver in September like they have done many times before? What if a Tesla Bot prototype wows the world like Model S, and Plaid, and Falcon 9, and the Vegas tunnel, and Falcon Heavy landing two damn rockets at once, and Starlink turning the tide in a damn war, and maybe a gigantic Starship orbiting the Earth in the next few months.

When Wall St starts to price in Tesla's AI business, they will need a bigger spreadsheet. Lars explains the implications of ARK's estimates.

Elon said AI Day 2 should show a working prototype of Tesla Bot, which could be the most significant news of the year... or many years.

As @StarFoxisDown! has explained, Wall St is currently underestimating Tesla's future growth, despite Tesla's guidance and the obvious trends. Most published financial modeling ignores the potential of Tesla Energy. It ignores the potential of FSD and robotaxis. It laughs at Tesla Bot. Media articles spit on the latter.

But what will happen if Elon's teams deliver in September like they have done many times before? What if a Tesla Bot prototype wows the world like Model S, and Plaid, and Falcon 9, and the Vegas tunnel, and Falcon Heavy landing two damn rockets at once, and Starlink turning the tide in a damn war, and maybe a gigantic Starship orbiting the Earth in the next few months.

When Wall St starts to price in Tesla's AI business, they will need a bigger spreadsheet. Lars explains the implications of ARK's estimates.

Another unpopular opinion coming in....

I really respect what Tesla is doing with AI and FSD. But I tend to think that Optimus is several years away. I just don't think that Tesla will have gotten that far ahead of the likes of Boston Dynamics and others on the physical bot front. I think that Tesla is using the bot program to entice high (very high) quality talent to come into Tesla to help finish FSD.

That's not a bad thing, but I'll be happy at AI day 2 to hear that FSD is done (or other very significant milestones). Anything interesting on the bot front will be gravy on the fries.