Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The underperformance started right when the Rueter's article came out. There's zero doubt in my mind that MM's/Hedgies knew of that false Reuter's article and already had the gameplan for the day's trading to walk it down.
I wonder if this is something that Elon's new Legal team would take on as a civil case. Damages to my account today are measurable, and this sure looks like a setup.

The underperformance started right when the Rueter's article came out. There's zero doubt in my mind that MM's/Hedgies knew of that false Reuter's article and already had the gameplan for the day's trading to walk it down.

As for my musing about the trading action, it's just musings while the stock is clearly in the grasps of MM's and hedge funds and their bidding. Have fun MM's/Hedgies in Q3/Q4 trying to keep control of this thing ;)

EM stating GF's losing billions did not help either :( FUD has picked it up.

AJ still overweight, but bought down PT from 1300 to 1200 as well ....

Q2 numbers in like 10 days ... light at end of tunnel. Low expectations of 250, 255K based mainly on Troys numbers it seems. Likely will be broken by 20-30K

During the recent interview, Musk suggested the Model S and X were mostly kept around for "Sentimental Reasons".
Seemed such an odd comment for a pair of vehicles which are likely hugely profitable, particularly once their current ramp is complete. I think it boils down to simple volume. Musk wants to increase the number of Teslas on the road as quickly as possible. Cars like the Model S/X are not scalable the way the Model 3 and Model Y are. Given the same amount of floor space, I suspect their newer models would produce more volume and profits per square foot than the Model S and X.
I don't think Tesla is moving away from these cars, but long term they are going to have a smaller and smaller impact on the bottom line as the rest of the product line overshadows them in terms of pure volume. We already see this now, but I suspect things are going to get even more lopsided down the road.
Another factor to consider:
Tesla needs a "Halo" car to continue to promote the brand image as the world's fastest production car... until the Roadster finally arrives! ;)

Last edited:
Keep in mind.....we still haven't seen the email that caused the 10% down day a couple Friday's ago........No one has seen that email. Not a single person. Nadda.

The Rueter's hit piece did its job. TSLA went from outperforming by a factor 4X the Nasdaq to now right around it's usual Beta.
Which makes little sense to me As a piece of “bad news”. 2000 cars a day from just the Y line is pretty amazing. If they did that to the 3 line it would mean giga austin could make an insane number of vehicles when filled out.

During the recent interview, Musk suggested the Model S and X were mostly kept around for "Sentimental Reasons".

Seemed such an odd comment for a pair of vehicles which are likely hugely profitable, particularly once their current ramp is complete. I think it boils down to simple volume.

Musk wants to increase the number of Teslas on the road as quickly as possible. Cars like the Model S/X are not scalable the way the Model 3 and Model Y are. Given the same amount of floor space, I suspect their newer models would produce more volume and profits per square foot than the Model S and X.

I don't think Tesla is moving away from these cars, but long term they are going to have a smaller and smaller impact on the bottom line as the rest of the product line overshadows them in terms of pure volume. We already see this now, but I suspect things are going to get even more lopsided down the road.
He has said that before. Doesn't jive with the effort they spent ensuring the Plaid was the supreme halo car of the EV industry. I assume as you suggested that it's just a nod to their small impact on the larger business.

This TFLEV video clearly explains why Tesla will never need paid advertisement. Teslas simply sell themselves.

Son to father: "Here is the deal. When I had the concept for this video (taking Ford F150 EV Lightning to the drag strip) I thought we'd be racing mustangs and camaros, but now that it's 2022..."
Father: "We're going to be racing jaguars?"
Son: "No. Tesla. (pointing to front.) Tesla next to us. Tesla behind us. All of that there is here it's like Tesla and then a few of the old school racers."

I compiled a chart showing all the races shown in the video with 1/2 mile duration times and top speed. It must be totally demoralizing for owners of ICE muscle cars being absolutely throttled and overrun by EVs on their home turf. This is happening everywhere. Tesla has shown the way. Even Ford in their first attempt with the F150 EV Lightning pickup is beating out Corvette, Charger, Jaquar, Viper, Mercedes and Mustang times on the local 1/4 mile drag strip. Clearly ICE is now dead.

View attachment 819639
You won't see ICE competition at drag strips anymore. That's because drag racing is a dying sport. Drag strips are closing left and right. Drag Strips Closing Across U.S. Phoenix, Houston, Arizona Wild Horse, Atlanta, Palm Beach, Memphis
All the 1000 hp ICE cool kids with skills and money are drifters now. EVs and their blistering acceleration arrived just as the world stopped caring about drag racing and switched to drifting.

Tesla needs a "Halo" car to continue to promote the brand image as the world's fastest production car... until the Roadster finally arrives! ;)
"Tesla needs a "Halo" car factory to continue to promote the brand image as the world's fastest producing car line production car... " FTFY

Also it needs a way to invest into Tesla with teslanaire money that is not just buying more stocks. Much more rewarding to buy a nicely decked out Model X instead to pay Tesla back for the TSLAQ money inflow of a lifetime we experienced. And do luxurious road trips and be visible.

Q - At what payback period is solar roof (not panels) worth the cost?

I'm debating on getting solar roof, panels, or just re-roofing on a small house I own. Net metering would be a big win as I could generate some decent cash flow from a solar roof installation rather than solar panels (because small roof square footage) while bringing my utility bills to $0 or better.

There's a lot of houses like mine that are in the center part of cities with small square footage, but would want to upgrade ... though can't due to fiscal-common-sense reasons. I took the time to look up "tiny" and "small" homes and solar roof / solar panels. There wasn't much...

• Informative
Reactions: UltradoomY
Q - At what payback period is solar roof (not panels) worth the cost?

I'm debating on getting solar roof, panels, or just re-roofing on a small house I own. Net metering would be a big win as I could generate some decent cash flow from a solar roof installation rather than solar panels (because small roof square footage) while bringing my utility bills to $0 or better.

There's a lot of houses like mine that are in the center part of cities with small square footage, but would want to upgrade ... though can't due to fiscal-common-sense reasons. I took the time to look up "tiny" and "small" homes and solar roof / solar panels. There wasn't much...
Better thread for that info: Solar roofs installed in the last 3 months

and it is in the Tesla Energy section for even more!

Perhaps sharing too much but I feel it's necessary as the opportunity "light bulb" came after finding all of you on this site.
The generational wealth opportunity from TSLA has already been realized by me and my wife and our three adult children (ages 28 - 34).
One of my children purchased a home last year (all cash) and the first thing the realtor asked her was "don't tell me you're a Tesla-naire?
She looked at him in disbelief (how did he know?) and he said, "I see one about every 2 weeks".

For those getting into the stock now, I still believe it is a generational investment opportunity from here. May take a little longer than what we saw from 2019 to 2021 but it will arrive.
The greatest thing my dad did for me was teaching me how to work hard, invest wisely (even at the sake of “diversification”) and how to play golf. ☺️

Thanks, though it sounds like that thread is more about process, after making the go/no-go on whether to do it, rather than to see if it's actually worth doing...
Sure, check the other threads and this YouTube video has some solid data after 1 year of production

Haha, yes they are very appreciative.
There were some shares I gifted to them but they also had their own investment dollars and bought in early June 2019 at $41 a share.
I coached them to HODL.

Ha-ha, that's great! That's the same time I was mopping up shares, from $250ish ($50) down to $210 and then I held off as it fell further unable to believe my good fortune. For the first time in years I was watching the ticker every day, all day, ready to make the biggest TSLA purchase of my life. I knew it was already a screaming deal but I didn't know how far it was going to fall and I wanted to maximize my buying potential. Then I doubled my position on June 4 at $189 ($38) as it looked like it had possibly formed a bottom so I let her rip! I also bought a bunch of call option for less than a dollar each that ended up appreciating over 1000 fold. Unfortunately, I sold more than half of them when they had "only" appreciated 100 or 120 fold. 🤣

And good job on coaching them to hold! 2019 was a year when I saw far too many TSLA 'bulls' sell just because they were so relieved they were back in the black and the stock had more than doubled. People said things like "You can't go wrong selling a stock for twice what you paid for it", and other illogical things. I tried to spread the word about holding tight with a "Gorilla Grip(tm)" with all their shares, not selling a single one, as it looked like this was a big breakout to unbelievable new highs, but so many people had itchy trading fingers. The financial media has trained the public to think you make money by selling a stock when it become "fully valued" instead of by letting the growth happen. Some argued it was the smart thing to do to sell just a portion of their holdings (at prices as low as $80). I tried to reason that even selling a small amount would compound to huge loses over time and that the stock had so much momentum it would likely keep going up based on that alone, if not continued performance by the company.

I'm glad it worked out for you and your family, fun times! And for those who still have large positions, there will be more fun times ahead! Cheers to all the hard-working crews at Tesla that made it all possible!

Exactly my thought. Until the roadster arrives, plaid fills the void. I personally love the S/X plaid vehicles.
Saw a new Plaid at the hand-wash I use. The owner left it there for the car wash dudes to figure out! I helped them with the yoke buttons and let them know this was the fastest production car in the world. OMG the drama.