Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The whole "factories burning money" FUD-line from that interview has been picked up by the BBC, :rolleyes:

Well, if company CEO says "Both Berlin and Austin factories are gigantic money furnaces right now. It's really like a giant roaring sound, which is the sound of money on fire," said Mr Musk"

It is clear that it makes headlines.

Ps. "Tesla did not immediately respond to a BBC request for comment."

If Tesla had a PR department...

Well, if company CEO says "Both Berlin and Austin factories are gigantic money furnaces right now. It's really like a giant roaring sound, which is the sound of money on fire," said Mr Musk"

It is clear that it makes headlines.

Ps. "Tesla did not immediately respond to a BBC request for comment."

If Tesla had a PR department...

Whereas if they said: "Both Berlin and Austin factories are gigantic money printers right now. It's really like a giant whooshing sound, which is the sound of money being printed". It would never have been reported. ;)

Ha-ha, that's great! That's the same time I was mopping up shares, from $250ish ($50) down to $210 and then I held off as it fell further unable to believe my good fortune. For the first time in years I was watching the ticker every day, all day, ready to make the biggest TSLA purchase of my life. I knew it was already a screaming deal but I didn't know how far it was going to fall and I wanted to maximize my buying potential. Then I doubled my position on June 4 at $189 ($38) as it looked like it had possibly formed a bottom so I let her rip! I also bought a bunch of call option for less than a dollar each that ended up appreciating over 1000 fold. Unfortunately, I sold more than half of them when they had "only" appreciated 100 or 120 fold. 🤣
Above in red... exactly how I feel right now!! 😂

I wanted to maximize my buying potential.
This is the danger, this is the pitfall, this is the reason traders fail.
When you postpone buying because you expect the price will continue to fall, you are a trader.

Don't look at the price, just buy when you can and only sell when you need cash and only as much as you need at the moment.

Above in red... exactly how I feel right now!! 😂
This is the danger, this is the pitfall, this is the reason traders fail.
When you postpone buying because you expect the price will continue to fall, you are a trader.

Don't look at the price, just buy when you can and only sell when you need cash and only as much as you need at the moment.

Yes the availability of cash/capital is an under appreciated part of investing. If anyone has cash and thinks Tesla has a great future then any time in the past 10 years has been, and currently is a good time to invest Tesla

Once I had built a good position in Tesla then I have played around, selling the peaks and buying the dips (only ever selling and buying back up to 15% of shares at a time), now this has worked because Tesla has been going up and up AND is very volatile, so I figured its just a way to get a little higher returns, but this is no substitute to having a good fundamental long time position. And important to remember that this strategy will keep on working until one day it doesnt and then it wipes out all previous gains

View attachment 819926

Imo this is a bit underdiscussed. So Tesla currently can do 2M+ annual 3/Y and could probably do 3-4million. I take it they see demand for 3-4M and plan on saturating this demand. I assume they might need some expansion for this, but maybe just spinning up each current factory from 500k to 750k and shanghai at 1M will do it. Scaling this seems much more straight forward than adding $25k car, Robotaxi or Cybervan. And profit should be crazy high with current prices and even if they come down, costs will also come down with scale.

Let’s assume they end Q4 around 500k/Q runrate, how long will it take them to ramp to 750-1M/Q? End of 2023?

Like Elon said, S/X/Plaid etc are fun high profit products. But where they will make most money is from high scale of Y and 3. Also this is best for the enviroment and for FSD. $25k might be cheaper, but it’s a restart of the ramp and it will take time for it to pay off, as long as they can keep pushing 3&Y they will likely just focus on that.

Imo we already see the demand for this given high prices and long wait times. So rather than to complicate things with new models, imo it seems likely that Tesla will just copypaste their current production lines.

Elon definitely thinks long term, so even though there is a lot of scope to increase 3/Y they must be thinking, in practical terms about what happens once their reach their peak. I am no expert, but I suspect that a big part of ramping a new factory is location-based, and factory-specific, rather than model specific, otherwise Texas/Berlin would already be at max output.

What I'm saying is, that introducing a new model (likely a cheaper one) would not necessarily ramp at the same rate as a factory ramps, especially if tesla use common sense and re-use as much of the model Y or 3 as possible in a new vehicle. A cheaper model can have a smaller battery and single motor, but it wouldn't automatically need new headlights, seats, steering wheel etc.*

*I know elon thinks they can go straight to FSD next, but IMHO this is fantasy. Even if they crack it today, the approvals worldwide will take a decade, and be fought by frantic lobbying. Tesla WILL have to make a cheaper vehicle.

A cheaper model can have a smaller battery and single motor, but it wouldn't automatically need new headlights, seats, steering wheel etc.*
My view is that there is a lot of business sense in avoiding the commodity vehicles. Stick with a premium product line and license FSD and Tesla network access to the low margin producers.

Sooner or later EV production will be far less a mystery IMO.

The whole "factories burning money" FUD-line from that interview has been picked up by the BBC, :rolleyes:

In that interview, Elon goes on to say, " . . . now all this is going to get fixed real fast . . .you know . . .but it requires a lot of attention"
I saw that Reuters did pick up that quote but it was buried deep at the end of their article.
Other outlets are not adding this follow-up comment by Elon.

This statement by Elon hinges upon an Aspie's presumption that everyone should/could be smart enough to realize this state of a new factory ramp is normal.

He's only pointing out something he thought was obvious, for the irony, or, to share his feelings on the experience. (Whew, we are burning billions, what a rush!) He wasn't complaining because it was a problem.

Naturally, the Muggles will jump to the wrong conclusion, based upon their reference point of looking for the worse possible interpretation.

This, also, is normal. We know this, and have seen it time and again as the company grows. Nothing to see here, move along.

Last edited:
On the gigantic piles of burning cash comment from Elon:

It's weird that this is news. It's obvious that a giga factory is billions of dollars to build. If said factory is outputting a trivial number of vehicles (Like Austin is, and Berlin is to a lesser extent) then you will end up with a pretty awful looking balance in your bank account.

The negative press will eat this up, but of course there really isn't any news here. - its obvious.

The interesting part is Elon basically said the same thing to Lucid and Rivian - scale fast or go bankrupt - and those companies have no existing business to keep them afloat. Press and the market basically ignores it.

Elon says it about factories #3 and #4 where he does factories #1 and #2 to sustain the business, but I'm willing to bet that the market will be punishing TSLA today for it.

55057778-3BF2-48E1-83D8-7CB3804E2A14.jpeg

This is the kind of crap the "competition" wastes their time and money on. Why? Is it because they just have marketing budgets set and the people in charge of those areas need to ensure their jobs stay relevant? Is it because it's simpler to create buzz around non-viable products than to make mass market EVs?

View attachment 819966

Seeing as this has zero to do with the battery or the fact that it is a BEV, where is that world renowned centuries tested auto manufacturing knowledge and expertise that Tesla haters like to brag the legacy OEMs will use to stampede over Tesla when they put their minds to it? Can’t keep the wheels on….