Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
pewdiepie has moved to Japan and debating on whether to buy a Tesla or retro Toyota. He will probably choose the Toyota but 111m followers seeing how positive he is on Tesla will do no harm:

pewdiepie got both vehicles. Episode where he picks up the Tesla came out today and is very positive on Tesla. Dog mode, games and autopilot all advertised. Missed the opportunity to put the dogs in the frunk though.

0.5m views from today so far!

Wonder will Tesla allow people to move from FSD option to EAP option for cars already ordered without change to base price. What about adding EAP to car they ordered with no FSD. Also have we seen a price to upgrade from EAP to FSD? I imagine a $1000 or $2000 premium.
At least right now in Europe there is no upgrade premium.
EAP 3800€
FSD 7500€
upgrade EAP-> FSD 3700€ (just checked on my app, I have Model Y with EAP).

Some videos are better than others, mostly he just repeats the manufacturers claims. IMO he is right, CATL don't make false claims.

What is missing the comparison to 4680 is cost, not the cost to make make the batteries, but what Tesla can buy them for.

Tesla can buy batteries form CATL and BYD but there is some manufacturer margin, and lots of car companies are competing for the same batteries.

Apart from cost savings in house manufacture can guarantee the ability to scale volumes fast enough,.
While what you say is true, if the claims in the video of 255Wh/Kg at the pack level are accurate then even if CATL was less efficient at manufacturing than Tesla the increase in energy density would lead to substantially less material needed for the pack. Google tells me that the pack density for a LR MX is around 186Wh/Kg. So a CATL pack delivering the same KWh pack (100KWh in this example) could weigh ~145kg (27%) less than a Tesla pack. That is a big saving in material costs which I would be surprised could be offset purely by manufacturing efficiency + supplier margin.

There's mitigating factors though - 4680 cells are likely to have higher energy density at the pack level than the model X pack - so the difference will be smaller. Tesla also has it's own roadmap for higher energy density cells, so there's no way to tell if the density difference is enduring or just a short term difference. Most importantly, the new CATL cells haven't hit the market in volume so we can't compare the two packs in the real world.

Either way, all progress in battery tech will be good for Tesla as they will continue to be CATL's biggest customer while allowing Tesla to scale faster while hitting fewer raw material bottlenecks. Tesla vehicle efficiency benefits will get the most out of the lighter pack too.

Source for Tesla pack energy density
1656144155496.png

Wu Wa Update:
- The video depicts Shanghai continuing at a blistering pace.
- Wu Wa mentions that there were some layoffs in Shanghai across various departments,; however,
- recent filing documents show Tesla will add 4,000 employees with the current expansion taking headcount to 19.000.
- Wu Wa mentions "15 days off" for the "renovation" but he mentions "staggered transformation". Not sure what he means by that . . .maybe that portions of factory will still be in production during renovation as they stagger the upgrade across various departments.

View attachment 820625

Video can be found here:
Wu Wa's Shanghai Video - June 24
15 days is a long time. Do we have any ideal of what upgrades Tesla is doing? Given the reported manufacturing capacity and labour increases I am guessing they'd need to adding new lines or rejigging their existing ones (maybe front casting for 3/Y and removing redundant BiW lines?).

There's still the three new buildings going up for which the purpose is unknown (to me at least).

I was wondering if this could be a data centre given the substantial energy supply and cooling? Or possibly additional casting?
1656148305493.png

Then there's the new skillion sheds off the side of the stamping area. Possibly just improving storage/logistics?
1656148467364.png

Then there's the new buildings off the side of the Model 3 GA lines. These are presumably for storage/logistics as the Model Y building has a similar setup.
1656149255622.png

In actual context, he said radar was important because it provides info that vision literally can not provide-- specifically things like seeing through fog and other visually obstructing weather, and bouncing under vehicles to see ones ahead.

He made no remarks qualifying that based on how good a job one was doing with the fusion piece.

(and in fairness to radar- we are over 1 year into when it was dropped... and the non-radar version still isn't at parity with the radar one (see again the fact you have a lower max speed and a longer min follow distance on vision than on radar)).

But that aside- if James has so little insight into how well various parts of the system are working that his own statements get contradicted by Elon shortly after he makes them, he probably shouldn't be cited as any sort of authority on how the system is working.
Those are also things Elon said, James didn't say anything new. However we found out that radar got Tesla stuck at a local maxima so they got rid of it with the team kicking and screaming. James praise later is that Tesla us willing to make the ballsy decisions like getting rid of radar and should get rid of it if it's hindering progress.

We did see performance degradation after radar removal such as stricter max speed limit and any hint of rain fsd turns off. Took awhile to train vision to be better off without radar.

My autopilot always phantom brake at the same spot on the highway and has been constant at phantom braking at the same place every week for one year now.
I have sent 52 times the « Bug Report »

FYI- those are not "sent" anywhere- so you're wasting your time doing that over and over.

Bug reports sit local on the car.

Service centers can view them remotely if you open a service ticket- but otherwise nobody at Tesla ever sees them.

(this is different from the special "send snapshot" button that FSDBeta folks have, where it submits a 10 second video clip when you press it along with some telemetry)

while holding the wheel scrollers. The day they fix it I buy FSD I promise.

If that event is caused by radar then getting into the FSDBeta would "fix" it since it turns off radar (for example some folks would have a particular combo of road angle and an overpass caused radar-induced phantom braking--- that said no radar doesn't "fix" all phantom braking just the radar caused ones- and introduces some new kinds)

If that event is caused by a bad speed limit in the maps (which is the other 'most common' cause of such braking then you're probably out of luck for now- If you want to try anyway there's numerous threads on folks submitting map fixes to all the various sources they THINK Tesla uses (Tomtom, OSL, etc), and sometimes it DOES get fixed in a later map update... but nobody has consistently found success at it so it's unclear if any of those were prompted by their actions or random chance.

We did see performance degradation after radar removal such as stricter max speed limit and any hint of rain fsd turns off. Took awhile to train vision to be better off without radar.

Point of order- as noted earlier- vision is still worse than radar as far as top speed allowed and shortest follow distance allowed.

It may well be better at OTHER tasks (I think this is especially true for city driving where there's a TON of things that might add noise to the low-res radar data compared to highways) but it's not at parity with radar on highways at least yet, despite having been in production over a year now.

In any event, I know it's the weekend, but likely further discussion of either ought go here:

Last edited:
I don’t agree completely with this (as someone who had both stock options and RSUs). These days salaries are competitive in the marketplace, and RSUs are more like bonuses (unlike in the old days when one went to work for a startup with starting salaries way below the market rates). You don’t lose money with RSUs as they are given to you (as opposed to stock options with strike price). As with bonuses, one should not count on it if one is prudent with one’s financial!
It is very simple to be an "over accumulator", it just requires discipline.

Anyone with any kind of salary will eventually become wealthy (over a lifetime) if they spend less $$ then they earn each month consistently, taking the net monthly "profit", and if they are in the USA, buy an S&P 500 index fund or EFT at the end of the month.