Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1656168758193.png

1656168386531.png

Filled my old gasoline-powered boat today at a local marina. Gas at this marina has always been a bit more expensive than regular stations, but gotta say it surprised me a bit.
3.095€/litre for 98oct.
Thats about 12€/us gallon.
I’m annoyed about high gasoline prices too. I had trouble getting into the Costco parking lot because the line to the gas station was massive!

No one said hodling Tesla would be easy, but The Accountant makes it easier.
I think holding Tesla is easy.

I've been doing it for 7 years. I just live like Tesla will be worth twice as much in a year or less I don't care about second quarter.

I now buy the best day old bread and the least dented cans.

I'm confident what the price will be like in a year, so I live like a thrifty millionaire!

It is very simple to be an "over accumulator", it just requires discipline.

Anyone with any kind of salary will eventually become wealthy (over a lifetime) if they spend less $$ then they earn each month consistently, taking the net monthly "profit", and if they are in the USA, buy an S&P 500 index fund or EFT at the end of the month.
I’ve just been buying TSLA. I’m doing this all wrong. No wonder why my bank account is only increasing by 140% a year, on average.

What I was trying to imply is that Jerome Powell is not going to debate some random guy (me) from a TMC site.
I don't see why James Douma would want to debate some person from reddit (doesn't help that his reddit handle is "whydoesthisitch" :))

Also - some people are not interested in debating. It often comes down to who shouts louder (a la Gordon Johnson).
I have been asked by two well-known youtubers to come onto their channel for an interview. I have declined as I don't think i have more to add than what I have added here on this site. If they had asked me to come on to the site to debate someone, I would certainly decline. I am not interested in debating anyone. Not because I would be afraid my position would lose, but because I don't want to expend the energy to break down the other position. I would want to tell my story. I am open to listening to the counter argument but I don't want to debate it. Listen I will and open to adjusting my thinking.
Although I aced the CPA exam, I was never on the debate team.
There are sound reasons that explain why so many of us watch your posts assiduously.
One of those is a continuous search for improved information.
Another one is your reticence to become a shill for anything at all.
Then there is your insistence on measuring your forecasts against eventual reality without revisionist history.
Thank you!

Just the feels and no actual data that I've researched, but I've always thought 6 cars per hauler seems inefficient from all aspects: gas, emissions, work, costs.
Fun exercise how Tesla can first principles this process?
- Tesla Semi fleet
- Incentivize customers to pick up direct
- redesign trailers for more car capacity in combination with...
- FSD self loading or
- FSD customer delivery
- ?

• Helpful
Reactions: unk45 and Nolimits

Details there, below via Google Translate - normal production glitch, good that they caught it in time, BUT watch for the usual FUD printing soon in all media

Engine problem with German Model Y: According to customers, Tesla is canceling deliveries at short notice​

June 25, 2022 | 0 comments

tesla model-y gigafactory berlin quality control

Image: Tesla (Production of Model Y in German factory)
After a slow start with a few problems, Tesla's Gigafactory in Grünheide near Berlin, which opened at the end of March, has recently picked up speed. According to the company, more than 1,000 Model Y were produced there in one week for the first time in mid-June , and the previous week it was said to have been almost as many. This raised hopes that the German factory could make a noticeable contribution shortly before the end of the second quarter, which was difficult for Tesla due to the corona closure in Shanghai. But this final sprint now seems to be cancelled, because Tesla is said to be canceling deliveries of Model Y Performance in series due to a significant problem.

Many Tesla buyers report cancellations​

Affected customers reported this in the Tesla Drivers and Friends (TFF) forum from this Saturday afternoon. After about two hours there were more than a dozen. Some reported in the forum that Tesla had informed them that no Model Y would be delivered from the German Gigafactory for the time being. Others were told the stop will not affect all vehicles from there. In some cases, Tesla announced new dates in just a few days, but the majority reported a delay of several weeks.
According to the first TFF message, Tesla justified the cancellations with a “security-related defect” that probably cannot be remedied with a software update. The next one also spoke of a "significant defect" and it is said to affect the "drive unit". As far as is known, it is not yet being mass-produced locally, but is being delivered from China like the Tesla batteries . One of the members in the forum wrote that according to a Tesla employee, Model Y Performance that has already been delivered are also affected. There was no sign of cancellations for the Y Long Range model, which is still coming to Europe from China, on Saturday.

Engine recall on Model 3 in China​

It was not initially known which specific problem is at least preventing the current deliveries of the German performance version. In China this April, Tesla had a major recall over the rear motor that could fail. But firstly it only affected Model 3 from production until January 2022 and secondly it should first be addressed with a software update. This is partly due to faulty semiconductors in the power electronics. With the update, Tesla wants to keep a closer eye on them and then only replace them in the Model 3s that are showing problems. There has not yet been a corresponding recall for the Model Y. In April, however, the consumer organization Consumer Affairs reportedof increasing rear motor failures on this electric car in the United States.

Last edited:
How much faith should anyone have in a forecaster who always carries far beyond the last significant digit?
not much, but I think it's the most followed data right now ... (seems more like worst case scenario to me)

Fremont had 1 extra ship in like almost 1st mth, and he has Fremont up by just 5K in Q2?
Sending out the extra ship must have impacted the US DMV numbers in 1st 2 mths ...

9 ships below Q1 numbers, if we just go by that one metric we are off by (4.5K *9 ) so more like 269K.
(now add some Berlin, Austin etc ....)

One more week of suspense ... Troy does all the minute stats -- lets see if he is right/wrong this time though. Stats work when everything is behaving more like normal, and Q2 is an abnormal quarter ....

This YouTuber says CATL's forthcoming Kirin batteries will be game-changers, and he provides more details about them than CleanTechnica reported last March. There are two versions: LFP and a higher energy chemistry. Mass production is said to begin in early 2023.

I'm not sure how credible he is, since he gushes about CATL's "revolutionary new" cooling technology that seems to be what Tesla has been doing for years. But maybe Tesla won't need their 4680s for long, or won't need as many as originally planned.

Electricviking has been one of the poorer Tesla/EV youtubers. Usually just pushes old news and wild speculation, while bashing ICE. Very little actual news.

Filled my old gasoline-powered boat today at a local marina. Gas at this marina has always been a bit more expensive than regular stations, but gotta say it surprised me a bit.
3.095€/litre for 98oct.
Thats about 12€/us gallon.
If I ever get a boat, EV conversion is the 1st thing I do. Can't stand the noise and smell while on the water.

Guess I'll have to retract that... just saw this:

View attachment 820992

(Only because it's the weekend)
Keep joking by pointing out some of the personal commentary but when you look into substantive comments he makes it’s a lot more meaningful.

You’re being selective about comments right out of a political playbook to character Assisi are when I’m talking about a conversation rooted in technical arguments, which he would make and has made. Do I have to point out all those comments myself?

Tesla uses a modified version of Yolo called hydranet in identify objects and estimate voxels. Those voxels are only accurate down to about 1 meter. There's a much more advanced algorithm called complex Yolo which takes direct ranging data to generate voxels, and is accurate to within about 2-3 centimeters.

During AI day, Karpathy mentioned using pointcloud data as part of the labeling process for their training data. The customer cars don't collect pointcloud data. So that would mean it can't actually be used for the training they were describing.

You can't just throw data into a neural net and expect it to learn. You need very precise, high quality, cleaned, and formatted data. Just grabbing video snippets of customers cars doesn't work.

The problem is, 250,000 scenes could mean anything. Were those all included in training? Were they real world or simulated (in which case there's no need to label)? How long was each scene? Did it include all camera data, or a subset?

Those numbers are wrong. The DGX-H100 gets 8 PFLOPs TF32, 16 PFLOPs FP16/BF16 (TF16 isn't a thing), 32 PFLOPs FP8/INT8. On top of that, the DGX is a complete system, which includes power consumption for the CPUs, network cards, everything. The training tiles are just the DOJO chips, and don't include all the support hardware. In terms of network bandwidth, Tesla later admitted they haven't even started on an interconnect, and those numbers were purely aspirational.

But more importantly, the Dojo specs are what they're aiming for. Not only do they still need to finish the actual chip, they still need to develop the interconnect, compiler, and a functional PyTorch build. That's years of work, at minimum. By which time Nvidia will be another generation ahead. This is just another case of Tesla hyping up theoretical tech as if it's already finished.

It’s so disappointing to see these types of responses and dare I say elitism/ego in a community that typically prides itself on information seeking.

We’ve seen Gali, Rob, and Dave all take a drastically different tone on fsd since they entered the beta. That’s for a reason.

Hey, if you just don’t like the dudes tone or find yourselves too disinterested to get into a back-and-forth with someone of a different opinion then (shrugs). At that point yu do actually start to sound like a cult.

For the record I do believe tesla will nail mass deployment of robotaxis first.