Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a bit naïve to this manipulation. What is it specifically? Some large share owner/fund that is selling shares at a specific price to achieve a specific price target that suits their purposes?
There are a lot of parties in the market who would like to limit any rise in TSLA. In particular the extreme size of Tesla's Options market creates a strong incentive for the price to be limited within a certain range that suits Options sellers. Much of this would be Market Makers, who would typically hedge positions but then generally don't like paying out large numbers of contracts if they can help it. There are a variety of ways they can manipulate the price from buying or selling shares, conventional and naked shorting, FUD and spoofing etc.

For this week there is a strong Call wall at $750 and a strong Put wall at $700. This provides a strong incentive for Market Makers to keep the share price between $700 and $750 come Fridays Option expiration. If they fail $750 they would definitely like it under the even bigger Call wall at $800. They don't always manage to achieve this but generally have a decent track record. Note there is also a $730 Call wall but this is more a legacy of this options data belonging to last Friday and by tomorrow you would expect the $730 calls to be lower. Based on the action so far today a price between $740 and $750 seems to be the balance today between all main market participants.

1656344216630.png

Last edited:
I'm a bit naïve to this manipulation. What is it specifically? Some large share owner/fund that is selling shares at a specific price to achieve a specific price target that suits their purposes?
@Chenkers covered most of it. But it would be really beneficial to you as an investor........especially if you're making any short term trades or playing in options, to research Market Makers yourself......just be forewarned, you'll be going down a rabbit hole that will make you very jaded about the stock market because you'll find out just how much control MM's have on the market. Specifically research Citadel Securities.

FYI, Exxon CEO believes that all cars will be EV by 2040.

Actually, that's not what he said. I just watched the full interview. He said that Exxon modeled the impact on their business if all cars were EV by 2040.

Apparently, the model only included light duty vehicles. He says that the model predicted a continuing demand for petroleum between heavy duty transport and petrochemicals such that the demand for oil would only be back down to where it was in 2014.

@Chenkers covered most of it. But it would be really beneficial to you as an investor........especially if you're making any short term trades or playing in options, to research Market Makers yourself......just be forewarned, you'll be going down a rabbit hole that will make you very jaded about the stock market because you'll find out just how much control MM's have on the market. Specifically research Citadel Securities.
And I'd add this is a really good week to look at the options chart above and watch how MM's respond on each day's price movements. We're trending up, so you might see this $730-740 preferred range "slip" to $770-790 as MM's then try to protect the even bigger $800 call wall.

Moderator override: ZERO more SCOTUS-decision discussion! Since this group collectively does not know when to stop, from now on even intelligent, Tesla-related such posts no longer can be permitted. They instantly attract garbage to sully the thread.

Some people know how to spoil it for everyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, that's not what he said. I just watched the full interview. He said that Exxon modeled the impact on their business if all cars were EV by 2040.

Apparently, the model only included light duty vehicles. He says that the model predicted a continuing demand for petroleum between heavy duty transport and petrochemicals such that the demand for oil would only be back down to where it was in 2014.
Well darn, I wish I could still edit.

Hmm, I had the 2/Z coming after robotaxi (per Elon on the Q1 call), and that the BYD "Blade" battery would be more likely. CATL's rumored capacity for the new Lingang (Shanghai) factory is 80 GWh/yr. That's about right for 2M robotaxi's with a 40 KWh pack, so I tend to 'bin' these two projects together. CATL building new pack capacity to provision Tesla the batteries it needs for Robotaxi.

Clearly, much of this rests on FSD succeeding by the time the Robotaxi's are ready to roll. I suppose 2/Z could be a potential user of this pack, but clearly Elon wants to prioritize Robotaxi for 1st production.
True story, I had the Model 2 coming in last Christmas :(.

It was a good lesson on hyping ourselves into a frenzy (based somewhat on the smaller motor announced in China last year + prior 2 years Dec/Jan pops + '22 was looking like pure growth).

We all learn plenty here, and if you don't it's a shame. And the result is that I've changed some since I joined TMC, hopefully for the better.

Thanks y'all.

Some of us know him. I doubt that deleted post was a contributing factor.
Agree. Was some nit pick thing about Martha Stewart which likely became the last straw. This room has been pretty intense lately (even worse outside). People getting angry out of greed and the blame game - toward Elon in particular of all things. :rolleyes:

Wait... people know each other here in real life? I can bring serious music and supplements to the party, just sayin'.

Sucking Alpha reports a Jefferies analysis of large-cap growth funds, based on their Q2 13-F filings. The funds are underweight or overweight this or that, but here's the interesting part:

Only 24.7% of large-cap growth managers are beating the Russell 1000 Growth (NYSEARCA:IWF), with the average fund behind by 2.2%.
The top 10 holdings are dominated by FAANG:
  1. Microsoft (MSFT), held by 93.2% of funds
  2. Amazon (AMZN), 92%
  3. Nvidia (NVDA), 84.5%
  4. Meta Platforms (META), 76.9%
  5. Apple (AAPL), 76.3%
  6. Visa (V), 73.7%
  7. Alphabet (GOOG), 70.2%
  8. Alphabet (GOOGL), 70%
  9. Adobe (ADBE), 68.8%
  10. Mastercard (MA), 67.2%
TSLA not in the top ten. No wonder three-quarters of the funds are doing worse than the index.

When the tide of buying by growth funds turns toward TSLA, it's gonna turn big.

Last edited:
We all have our political and moral beliefs but the current issue of the day is far more toxic than most. I think we should avoid it at all costs here, otherwise the forum will become a burning wasteland.

Sucking Alpha reports a Jefferies analysis of large-cap growth funds, based on their Q2 13-F filings. The funds are underweight or overweight this or that, but here's the interesting part:

Only 24.7% of large-cap growth managers are beating the Russell 1000 Growth (NYSEARCA:IWF), with the average fund behind by 2.2%.
The top 10 holdings are dominated by FAANG:
I love that people pay professionals to manage their investments and the result is "uhhh buy amazon, google, apple. Thanks for your 2%."

While it's still weekend...

So like that, @jbcarioca as a member is gone.

To me at least, for the last 5+ years hanging out here, @jbcarioca was a rare member with unique perspectives which no other could have provided and he shared here generously and frequently and therefore, the value of this thread was enhanced vastly during his tenure here.

Certain (maybe just one?) members with special privilege have an uncanny "talent"👿 of driving away the most valuable contributors. Such contributors have exceedingly high signal-to-noise ratio. But nobody is perfect. I hate to speculate loudly why certain special member(s) is extra sensitive and harsh toward occasional "transgressions" from such contributors, while let some prolific trolls slide day in and day out. In an ideal world, such valuable contributors should be granted special privilege/immunity. Alas, I guess all good things must come to an end :(
This is terrible to hear. JB, in my opinion, is one of the very most valuable posters here. He brings such a great perspective. I hope this is not true or he changes his mind.

Was some nit pick thing about Martha Stewart which likely became the last straw.
Wait, what? That was me. I didn't mean my rebuttal to be sharp or argumentative, I knew he was probably just rattling names off the top of his head. And, as matter of fact, at the time I wasn't even conscious of responding to JB. I was just responding to the post.

Edit: I see I can't @jbcarioca, so he must have deleted his account. JB, if you read this you have my apology. I will also gladly leave the forum for your return. You contribute WAY more than I do. I'll be happy to just be a viewer.

Last edited:
Moderators, please delete all of the virtue signaling abortion posts. It's compromising the quality of this investor forum. I come here for great content and analysis about TSLA, but this has been trending completely OT and getting too political.

Mod: Go back about one page and you’ll see that is exactly what has happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
First poster links to an actual article with quotes...........this twitter poster responds saying that's not the case with no substance to back that up. Not saying either is right/wrong but just responding to a post with "That's not accurate" with no substance doesn't do anything.

Sounds like the first poster is linking to an articles that states future shifts changes, 2nd poster is talking about current/present shift schedules 🤷‍♂️