Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree with Ocelot. The thread is useless — it’s completely overrun with the blindest, most biased Elon sycophants on earth who will try to spin every dumb thing he does into a 4D alien chess move, and the moderation has always been disgustingly grudge-based and wildly inconsistent. The ones responsible for the real actionable content have moved to Twitter, like it or not.

I used to check it hourly, now it’s like once every few days and I don’t think I’m missing anything.

Agree with Ocelot. The thread is useless — it’s completely overrun with the blindest, most biased Elon sycophants on earth who will try to spin every dumb thing he does into a 4D alien chess move, and the moderation has always been disgustingly grudge-based and wildly inconsistent. The ones responsible for the real actionable content have moved to Twitter, like it or not.

I used to check it hourly, now it’s like once every few days and I don’t think I’m missing anything.
You calling Elon a Nazi supporter doesn't exactly bring signal to the thread either....

Leave.

Why does Tesla need an App Store? This is why. Apple does nothing but skims 30% of every purchase off the top and they make more money than everyone else who works hard to make the actual product.

To be fair an incredibly tiny % of things sold on say the Apple App Store would be big sellers on a Tesla unless/until they deliver L3 or higher... (or perhaps until they add rear displays to the 3/Y)

Games are by far the most popular category of things Apple sells on the store.... which are nice for sitting at a supercharger, or entertaining your kid while you clean up your garage... but once you can play them while driving you'll have a massively greater demand. (same is true of apps for android, Games is easily the largest category).

There's certainly a handful of things like Waze, or a Sat Radio app, that would be popular even while the human needs to be driving.... but those aren't paid apps on the phone stores so no revenue to skim....and Tesla has been VERY reluctant to allow any external navigation given how tied into the ADAS systems the factory nav is.

But unless/until you get either L3 or better- or the rear screen makes it to the mainstream models you've got a pretty limited business case.

Z.jpg

It always hurts to hear folks have left due to negativity as this thread has so much positive to give.

The signal is there, it always has been, but as with all things, there are ups and downs. Yes the SP is down. Yes Q2 is going to be impacted by Giga Shanghai shutdown, slower ramp of two new factories and 4680s...etc.

But the bigger picture could NOT be brighter for Tesla and in my estimation is a foregone conclusion at this point.

Yes, talking about hard things is important, but we all have opinions and sometimes not enough information/data to support them.

We can get that information/data here, from each other, who represent quite possibly the best and brightest from all walks of life, professionalism and experience. This is what I get out of this thread and TMC at large.

I've never heard any signal without a percentage of noise, but this forum is as close as I've encountered.

Yes the weekends are more OT and yes our world is in a state of massive change, but Tesla/Elon is leading most of it and I'm still invested, I'm still participating and I hope others will as well and be the best version of themselves on this forum that they can be.

I agree. My very, VERY close friend jb has told me that what you write is exactly the case, and he is exasperated - perhaps appalled is a better word - at how some of you have been reacting to his departure.

And, changing the subject, just as frustrating is how YOUR post regarding the experience of labor unions in France has been ignored by several, who rather would demonstrate their own ignorance by posting garbage.
Labor unions in France have ZERO bearing on Tesla, if and until Tesla has a factory there. Yes, I’m aware that post was actually in response to someone who dissed France’s 35h work week and supposed lack of manufacturing prowess. We stand corrected on the matter.

Currently unions and how they operate in the US, Germany and China are relevant.

Thanks so much for calling us out for not going down an unrelated, irrelevant rabbit hole. 🙄

Albemarle just doubled their lithium supply.

Can't say this thread has been much different now from how it has been the last five years - there's always off-topic ramblings, life-and-death arguments about everything, sometimes $TSLA related, bickering, occasional insults. Not sure why everyone's all het up

I don't post much, maybe that helped a bit 😂

TBH I also wish the moderation was a little less draconian, I'm quite capable of skimming past the detritus... but as long as @The Accountant is around, I'll be here too (❤️ you, dude!)

To be fair an incredibly tiny % of things sold on say the Apple App Store would be big sellers on a Tesla unless/until they deliver L3 or higher... (or perhaps until they add rear displays to the 3/Y)

Games are by far the most popular category of things Apple sells on the store.... which are nice for sitting at a supercharger, or entertaining your kid while you clean up your garage... but once you can play them while driving you'll have a massively greater demand. (same is true of apps for android, Games is easily the largest category).

There's certainly a handful of things like Waze, or a Sat Radio app, that would be popular even while the human needs to be driving.... but those aren't paid apps on the phone stores so no revenue to skim....and Tesla has been VERY reluctant to allow any external navigation given how tied into the ADAS systems the factory nav is.

But unless/until you get either L3 or better- or the rear screen makes it to the mainstream models you've got a pretty limited business case.
My thought is that the most popular App will be one that allows you to rearrange the display and have themes (particular the instrument panel on S and X)--after games, of course.

Anyone here remember the last time @jbcarioca spoke to someone in a negative, disrespectful tone? How about the moderators?

We have head by the moderators own admission, this is NOT a democarcy. There is NO free specch here.

How often do we need to hear " MY thread".
NO.
It is OUR thread.

Just because you made the first post in the random year, that it was decided to keep it running, it is YOURS?

So my questions are?
Does a moderator here have ownership in this board?
Who owns TMC?
Where is the transparency over how things are moderated?
Do the moderators review why so many knowledgable people have left over the years, and if they played a role in that?

I used to contribue financially here, but refuse to do so unitl there is way more transparency.

Yeah @jbcarioca left on his own, but is that the whole story?

Modertion is random. If there is a tangentially related topic ie. new version of FSD coming and so and so is going to download it, that seems totally fine.
But twitter, covid, political stances that have DIRECT and indirect influence on share price, forget it. Why?

PERSONAL bias of opinion.

That is not good moderation. Good moderation tries to remove themselves from opinion. That is just bias.

I have been here a decade and the quality of posts have declined immensely. It's a mess of random stuff. Losing another great member sucks.

The "C" in TMC used to stand for something.
The points you make vary in their usefulness, relevance and (spectrum here): importance—silliness. Here is the important one, to which I respond:

But twitter, covid, political stances that have DIRECT and indirect influence on share price, forget it. Why?

Why: Because, unfortunately, personal opinions, axes to grind, rebuttals of varying degrees of relevance ALL veer off simultaneously in all directions at once, so to speak, rendering this thread not a salad but an utterly impossible-to-navigate hairball. And this is because all of you have intelligent yet magpie minds - full of ideas, life experiences and deductive powers that you love to share.

BUT - collectively so put together they make not music but noise.

So if you don’t like moderation to keep some continuity and sense out of an internet discussion, use another, unmoderated site. We all know there are plenty.

Lastly, I am reasonably sure that over the many years, I have kept fairly well hidden my own preferences, biases and thoughts regarding almost all sensitive topics - other than my disdain for Twitter.
That means that I have - continuously - terminated subthreads and excised posts that represent my own opinions. And, on a few occasions, that has meant deleting my own posts.

Maybe now they will standardize the chargers. In my mind this has probably been Electrify America's biggest downfall. It's hard enough to get one design to work, I think they went with 4 suppliers?

And when did "charging" become "recharging"? The author using recharge and recharging exclusively in this article. I kept asking myself if recharging was something different than charging...

My thought is that the most popular App will be one that allows you to rearrange the display and have themes (particular the instrument panel on S and X)--after games, of course.
The game I want will throw eggs or mud at virtual cars and shoot lasers in 3D - which then also shows up on their Facebook page with instant virtual replay. Extra points for them, avoid the EVs, pets, and pedestrians. But do spot the stray pets, post with camera shots, and get the reward when recovered! Tag other Tesla's for a quick compliment on their new wrap. Fun games ahead :D

• Funny
Reactions: jerry33

I do agree that in terms of profitability, a Tesla app store would pale compared to Apple's App Store. But it's also about getting in front and building out their ecosystem now before CarPlay and Android Auto become too entrenched in competitor vehicles and an ecosystem forms around those. If Tesla has their app store up and running, with a large developer network and Tesla ecosystem lock-in, it will be very difficult for competitors to emerge later on. Tesla should not wait until it's way too late to establish an ecosystem, the early mover always has the advantage in this sort of market.

I do agree that in terms of profitability, a Tesla app store would pale compared to Apple's App Store. But it's also about getting in front and building out their ecosystem now before CarPlay and Android Auto become too entrenched in competitor vehicles and an ecosystem forms around those. If Tesla has their app store up and running, with a large developer network and Tesla ecosystem lock-in, it will be very difficult for competitors to emerge later on. Tesla should not wait until it's way too late to establish an ecosystem, the early mover always has the advantage in this sort of market.
I tend to agree on that front.

Though I do think Google will get desperate enough that they make a very tempting offer to partner with Tesla on the ecosystem.

Reactions: Nocturnal

I admit to having an optimism bias, often things are not black and white, there is an optimistic interpretation, and a pessimistic interpretation, and both interpretations contain plenty of assumptions.

I find many pessimistic interpretations are loaded up with assumptions that I disagree with. Some are in the right ballpark, but perhaps go a step to far.

Opinion and assumptions are very different to proven facts.

The proven facts are on the record statements from Tesla.

For everything else there is plenty of room for debate, very often that doesn't come down to a black and white, right or wrong answer. Agree to disagree, or insufficient evidence, is the most likely debate outcome.

I don't see a need for personal insults, or the "labelling" of others., When I see people using "labels" to describe others, that tells me plenty about them.

So we can have respectful constructive debate as long as people make a meaningful contribution, and drop the topic when their point of view is on the record.

I am disappointed that quality posters have left, but bad manners and a lack of disciplined posting is to blame, and I'm as guilty as anyone of occasionally taking things of track.

The best moderation is self-moderation.

Maybe now they will standardize the chargers. In my mind this has probably been Electrify America's biggest downfall. It's hard enough to get one design to work, I think they went with 4 suppliers?

And when did "charging" become "recharging"? The author using recharge and recharging exclusively in this article. I kept asking myself if recharging was something different than charging...
Musk’s penchant to turn everything into a scalable process is a huge competitive advantage. While Electrify America outsources the design of the chargers and orders a few at a time giving their suppliers little incentive to reduce prices or optimize installation. Tesla is not only chasing bringing down production costs, but figuring out how to make them and install them 6 at a time to reduce installation costs.