Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the Fed is playing a dangerous game. Raising rates into a weakening economy can cause deflation rather quickly. As these inflation data points keeping coming back, we are seeing them starting to turn prior to the last aggressive increase... with another likely to follow.
I wonder if the Fed thinks comprehensively about rising energy prices.

On one hand, rising energy prices show up as inflation in the data.

On the other hand, higher energy prices themselves act directly to slow the economy. After all, energy is an input to many parts of the economy, e.g. manufacturing and agriculture, and is not just a consumable, e.g. home heating.

I’m inclined to think that the Fed may not assess and factor in the latter consideration sufficiently, if only because it may be hard to do so. So the Fed may be overshooting the mark on raising rates.

So, get the Tesla S.Korea CCS1 adapter (and buy a damn folding bike!) :D

Tesla CCS Adapter: Everything you need to know! (USA) | Youtube May 29, 2022 (14:22)

Happy trails!

The key is 6:00 into that video. Only very recent cars (last ~2 years) can use the CCS adapter. You can check on screen under your car information to see if you have the correct hardware in your charger to allow for CCS charging.

So, for both my cars, it would be a no-go on CCS without a charging port overhaul.

Whole Mars Catalog on Twitter: "Tesla’s US EV market share is forecasted to grow from 75% to 80% this quarter. In other words, the competition is coming." / Twitter

Paywalled source article:

I found that there was no difference in travel time between the Tesla and the Prius. A lot of difference between comfort and fatigue at the end of the day. About 80K trip miles in both (2004-present). (Assumes you use proper charging techniques in the Tesla and have a long range version).
Indeed, one of the big reasons I brought the Model Y (LR) on this trip is the comfort. Way better than the Prius. I have some driving stress at the end of the day depending on traffic and weather conditions, but the comfort, the higher ride, the effortlessness of passing the big rigs, the voice-responsive stereo and nav (if you are in cell range anyway!), all add up to a good experience. I just (again, sounding like a broken record) won't say that we've solved road trips for new EV users, certainly not everywhere in this great land of ours. Plenty of them won't want the long stops all the time. And most of my current trip is NOT interstates - Tesla has those covered very well.
And no, I'm not a "real" Tesla owner yet, as I have yet to arrive at a Supercharger in the middle of a 100+ mile charging desert in the single digits of battery remaining :p. Got close on this trip... but I'm traveling with a partner who may have less appetite for arriving at 3% than I do...
I do have a CCS adapter now, but mostly where I've been going, it would not have helped. Glad I have it and PlugShare though, just in case.
I did practice with the CCS once, got myself a ChargePoint account to make sure the adapter worked. The 125 kW charger gave me 28 kW. Could be the adapter, not sure, but it did reinforce the dominance of the current SC network over the competition. Although those nifty CCS/Chademo chargers do have pretty colorful screens, big scrolly text, etc., I like to think the very Spartan SC design costs Tesla a lot less in maintenance over the years.

Whole Mars Catalog on Twitter: "Tesla’s US EV market share is forecasted to grow from 75% to 80% this quarter. In other words, the competition is coming." / Twitter

Paywalled source article:

I didn't see that quote but I did a quick search of the article and found a few other interesting things. These 2 PDFs seem to be the "meat and potatoes" which the short article is based off of.

Cox mid-year report: Cox mid-year review

Cox U.S. auto sales forecast: Cox U.S. auto sales forecast

1656614610746.png

"Tesla is the only major brand to increase sales year over year in the first half. Honda, Nissan and VW all see first-half sales drops in excess of 30% year over year."

"Tesla's second-quarter sales are expected to rise 90 percent from the same period a year earlier. The electric vehicle maker is expected to more than double its market share for the first half of the year to 4.0 percent, up 2.2 percentage points from the same period a year earlier."

Last edited:
The key is 6:00 into that video. Only very recent cars (last ~2 years) can use the CCS adapter. You can check on screen under your car information to see if you have the correct hardware in your charger to allow for CCS charging.

So, for both my cars, it would be a no-go on CCS without a charging port overhaul.
That sounds similar to the situation in Europe for the S/X when the Model 3 was introduced. This was solved by installing an extra electronic board in the older S/X cars and a software update. A mobile technician did that for my Model S in less than half an hour iirc, so no big deal.

I found that there was no difference in travel time between the Tesla and the Prius. A lot of difference between comfort and fatigue at the end of the day. About 80K trip miles in both (2004-present). (Assumes you use proper charging techniques in the Tesla and have a long range version).

Having just done two roughly 2,000mi road trips with our MY and our Sedona (van) I would agree with this. We never once had a stop under 20min and our longest was just over 1hr while we ate lunch/dinner with both vehicles. We generally drive about 2.5-3hrs before someone inevitably needs a break anyway, so we just got in the habit of always topping of charge or gas during those stops. Because of this, the move from ICE to EV was never a noticeable one for road trips as we never drove the 400mi the van could theoretically go before needing to be refueled as we could never make it 6hrs without a stop anyway.

Looks like Core PCE has peaked to me . . .we continue to descend the mountain.
View attachment 823041

As a side note, Accountants love symmetry (debits must equal credits, balance sheets . . .well . .must balance, etc).
That 5.1 in Jan with that 5.2 in Mar . . . .going to bug me all day today.
Extrapolating the symmetry, does that mean we can look forward to June’s number matching October’s of…zero?🎯😂

That sounds similar to the situation in Europe for the S/X when the Model 3 was introduced. This was solved by installing an extra electronic board in the older S/X cars and a software update. A mobile technician did that for my Model S in less than half an hour iirc, so no big deal.

55 page thread on the swap for a 3/Y-- relies on a 3rd party wiring adapter (or build your own) and finding an SC willing to both sell you the correct part, and then someone in service willing to push a SW reinstall- or DIY on the SW part by going to an SC and putting car in service mode yourself (as apparently the car won't charge till that happens)

But yeah ideally once the adapter is in the US they'll offer an "official" retrofit.

Why isn't it, at least in sunny states like CA, AZ and NM?

It should be incentivized everywhere for any corporate office/mall with large surface parking. Not only can it produce meaninful amounts of energy, it has the added benefit of keeping your car free of the elements and cooler during the summer. Which I would assume also means less frequent maintenance for the road surface.

I'm going out on a limb by blending this announcement with the recent Boring Co. filing for a tunnel under the Colorado.

The tunnel will be from this GA expansion to the property across the river which has enough room for the necessary logistics to manage 2M/year production and shipment.

Let's get crazy and say the tunnel will be indoors on both ends and the building for loading cars across the river will be two-story to allow driving cars onto the upper and lower level of the transporters simultaneously.

Now we're talking bullish!

(Oh, and the vehicles will drive themselves through the tunnel, no need for drivers going back and forth.)

Last edited: