Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have a direct link to Johnna Crider's podcast/interview with Elon? She simply tweeted a link to her website, but personally I can't get to the interview from there. TIA.

Johnna Crider on Twitter: "My interview with @elonmusk is now live. Listen here https://t.co/2KyziRFIEA https://t.co/EQwUmQmUqL" / Twitter

Happy Canada Day! Bonne fête du Canada!
Here is the MP3 audio file of the interview that was linked directly from the website:

California, you never surprise me. Killing a nascent lithium extraction industry before it even really got going. In the name of the environment too. Somehow it’s better to import lithium from China. “Lithium tax” gets approved in California amid critics’ opposition
Doesn't seem like a deal breaker to me

"The Board of Supervisors, however, disagrees with the critics, saying that when you consider the price of lithium, which has averaged $70,000 per ton, a $400 flat tax is only 0.005 percent of the gross price, according to the county." (from source link cited below)

There are three companies with interests in the area, only one of them is actually currently operating, and they had no comment on the tax legislation. That company, BHE Renewables, operates 10 geothermal generation plants at the Salton Sea. They are working to find a financially sustainable process for extracting Lithium and other metals from the brine pumped currently for geothermal power generation. BHE Renewables is a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Energy. The plants are legacy, an assortment of installations at various times starting in 1982 and last constructed in 2000. The question of extracting valuable metals from the brine once the heat is conducted has stimulated renewed interest in geothermal for dual purpose.

BHE Renewables, which oversees 10 geothermal plants near the Salton Sea, had not publicly taken a position on the proposed lithium tax until now.

“We do not oppose the lithium tax passed by the Legislature,” said BHE spokesperson Dan Winters in a statement. “We recognize the opportunity a lithium tax provides for the local community, and that a balanced outcome will ensure California-sourced lithium can compete in the world market.

“We will continue advancing production research to deliver lithium from our geothermal brine as we work with legislators and other stakeholders to achieve an economical, environmentally safe outcome for everyone,” Winters added.

this publication (- Read the Latest in - Calexico Chronicle) appears to be an excellent source for keeping current on the Salton Sea projects as they evolve

I would also recommend a podcast series recently started by Marketplace called "How We Survive". Fairly short episodes for those of you who are time-limited but very informative and entertaining, laying out the energy storage issues and specifically the move to lithium battery tech in this first season.

I particularly point to episodes 4 and 5, which visit the Salton Sea and interview the actors in this region.

This tax is dumb. Pure and simple. California is destroying it's ecological reputation.

Oh no, you have them all wrong about this. You see, after decades of leading the nation and the world in crafting ecological legislation, without first determining some way to pay for making it actually work without bankwupting the state, California is changing its tune.

Now, they will support the ecological initiatives by making any company contributing to saving the planet and humankind pay for the economical short-sightedness of years gone by.

This remarkable plan, on par with so many others passed over the years, will be remembered by history as the "Let's Shoot Ourselves In The Foot Initiative" from this day forward.

/S

In all seriousness, maybe doing something like this is overdue. It is better than the federal strategy of expanding the money supply every time a crisis is spotted on the horizon.

Last edited:
Last minute victory :cool:!
  1. Tesla 6619
  2. Kia 6594
  3. VW 6541
Screenshot 2022-07-01 at 17.28.07.png

In the Netherlands June BEV sales (7281) were 24,6% of total sales (ICE + BEV). There definitely was a Tesla end of Quarter sprint: a little over 200 Model Y were sold in the last 4 days. Model Y reached 5th place of BEV sold with 332 cars. (Source: kentekenradar.NL). Model 3 peaked 22 June; 150 in all in June.

While in Lisbon, Portugal I happened to pass a Tesla store/booth (today). It had a Model Y (on Hankook tires, for those interested).

9B7C4732-61D5-426D-92B0-9ABAE6538DEA.jpeg
CC6EF5B8-CFDD-46B0-B014-6E2122E1D973.jpeg
D4AA1A6D-F16B-4773-A0D0-9A3C2345C36E.jpeg

Last edited:

"The Board of Supervisors, however, disagrees with the critics, saying that when you consider the price of lithium, which has averaged $70,000 per ton, a $400 flat tax is only 0.005 percent of the gross price, according to the county." (from source link cited below)
400 of 70,000 is 0.57%
One concern was the flat tax impact is if lithium carbonate price declines. Current pricing is around $56k/ ton or 0.7%
At higher volumes, the tax doubles to $800 a ton or 1.4% current price.
2021 average price was $17,000 (which was double 2020's price) making the tax up to a 4.7% adder (nearly 10% at 2020 prices)
GM and Stellantis are the ones the miner was planning to deliver for, so this may be more appropriate in Tesla BEV Competition Developments

You're saying inflation is due to corporate greed? Price gouging?

Corporations just suddenly decided to get greedy about the time the Fed pumped a trillion into the money supply?

Okay, I agree, but corporations only have the pricing power because the base was pumped up. If consumers didn't feel flush with cash, they wouldn't pay the prices and inflation would be more tame.

GM EV sales for the quarter. 6945 were Bolts. This is just US.
  • Electric vehicle sales were over 7,300 units, including some of the first deliveries of the BrightDrop Zevo 600 and GMC HUMMER EV Pickup, as well as the resumption of Chevrolet Bolt EV and Bolt EUV production.
One thing I noticed is Tesla sales are 2x Cadillac and Buick combined sales assuming Troy's numbers of about 120K for Tesla in the US for Q2 are correct.

Last edited:
I'm 20 minutes in and haven't heard anything we haven't heard before.
Nope, and it's nothing new but I believe Tesla Inc has changed it's mission statement. Multiple times now, Elon have said "Tesla is to ensure life is good on Earth". I think this is now the new mission statement with autonomy and sustainable energy to save lives, and robotics + massive scale of renewables to ensure there's an of abundance of labor and energy for humans.

Nope, and it's nothing new but I believe Tesla Inc has changed it's mission statement. Multiple times now, Elon have said "Tesla is to ensure life is good on Earth". I think this is now the new mission statement with autonomy and sustainable energy to save lives, and robotics + massive scale of renewables to ensure there's an of abundance of labor and energy for humans.

Lol that you "quote" the thing* you made up :p

From Tesla:

"Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy."

*This result represents 0.4 sec of Googling.

Lol that you "quote" the thing* you made up :p

From Tesla:

"Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy."

*This result represents 0.4 sec of Googling.
It's from the interview, and it's not the first time Elon have said this. He is still working on his master plan part 3, and Tesla's product portfolio is evolving beyond just energy products but starting to tap into labor shortages and AI.

I am speculating that Tesla is changing their mission statement as Tesla evolving into solving other large issues as Elon sees the acceleration to the transition as mission accomplished by dragging all the big players in sooner than later.

California, you never surprise me. Killing a nascent lithium extraction industry before it even really got going. In the name of the environment too. Somehow it’s better to import lithium from China. “Lithium tax” gets approved in California amid critics’ opposition

Update: read wtlloyd's article below for more context. Seems OK in the end, the tax is minor.

You and I live here, this would be funny if we didn't see this level of self-immolation on almost a daily basis.

There are three companies with interests in the area, only one of them is actually currently operating, and they had no comment on the tax legislation. That company, BHE Renewables, operates 10 geothermal generation plants at the Salton Sea. They are working to find a financially sustainable process for extracting Lithium and other metals from the brine pumped currently for geothermal power generation. BHE Renewables is a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Energy. The plants are legacy, an assortment of installations at various times starting in 1982 and last constructed in 2000. The question of extracting valuable metals from the brine once the heat is conducted has stimulated renewed interest in geothermal for dual purpose.

BHE Renewables, which oversees 10 geothermal plants near the Salton Sea, had not publicly taken a position on the proposed lithium tax until now.

“We do not oppose the lithium tax passed by the Legislature,” said BHE spokesperson Dan Winters in a statement. “We recognize the opportunity a lithium tax provides for the local community, and that a balanced outcome will ensure California-sourced lithium can compete in the world market.

“We will continue advancing production research to deliver lithium from our geothermal brine as we work with legislators and other stakeholders to achieve an economical, environmentally safe outcome for everyone,” Winters added.

this publication (- Read the Latest in - Calexico Chronicle) appears to be an excellent source for keeping current on the Salton Sea projects as they evolve

I would also recommend a podcast series recently started by Marketplace called "How We Survive". Fairly short episodes for those of you who are time-limited but very informative and entertaining, laying out the energy storage issues and specifically the move to lithium battery tech in this first season.

I particularly point to episodes 4 and 5, which visit the Salton Sea and interview the actors in this region.

The price per ton they picked to report . . . is cherry picked as one of the highest spot market prices EVER for Lithium.

Here is the US Gov report of historical prices since 2017:

ranges from $8,000 to 17,000 per ton. That $400, while not earth-ending, is much more substantial in light of that.

In the end, $400/ton is not an earth-shattering tax, it's "reasonable", unless the price of lithium drops through the floor, and then Cali producers may find their costs of doing business are no longer competitive.