Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Self-driving cars from GM’s Cruise block San Francisco intersection in latest problem for autonomous vehicles​

The company, a majority-owned subsidiary of General Motors, confirmed it had an “issue earlier this week that caused some of our vehicles to cluster together.” A company spokesman said the problem was “resolved and no passengers were impacted,” but declined to give further details.

Photos and a description of the Cruise robotaxis blocking several lanes of traffic in San Francisco were shared on Reddit and Twitter. At least seven Cruise vehicles can be seen clustering in the intersection of Gough and Fulton streets in the city’s Civic Center neighborhood late Tuesday night, potentially blocking traffic both ways on one of the streets.

It’s unclear how long the cars were blocking traffic or what caused the situation with the vehicles that now provide a service to paying customers on some San Francisco streets.

Surprising to see a negative article on CNBC of any auto company except Tesla.

Reactions: wipster
Forward Observing

Yes, the mood here reflects a lull in the battle. Lift your cold Dragons Milk to the hard working Tesla employees across/around the world for a job well done.

Thank you @Papafox, @The Accountant, @Artful Dodger, et al. The banter over cat aviators is a nice relief. Reminds me of a chance encounter turned permanent forty-eight years ago ~ “love me, love my dog.” That became permanent and my cat ran away for good.

While my contribution here is marginal at best ~ I think that it is notably a change to higher numbers that I am now seeing in the wild more Teslas with a temporary license than a truck load soon to be released. FYI ~ wife heading south to Portland today in preparation for 10 year old GrandPup all-star baseball competition ~ spotted a fully loaded truck of Teslas, good start for 3Q22. My wife keeps me at home in the dungeon too much ~ sorry.

Many more hoops to hurtle thru before the end of the year; that’s why I did not complete in the hurtles in high school.

Have a good weekend.

Cheers

Tesla open sourced their patents but their stipulation was that anyone who used Tesla's patents also needed to share theirs IIRC. At the time I guess Tesla still thought there could be a spirit of jolly cooperation to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy.
I'm too lazy to look up Tesla's language, but usually these "patent promises" just stipulate that I can use Tesla's patents as long as I agree not to ever sue Tesla for patent infringement. It doesn't mean I have to share my patent rights with everyone else.

Reactions: transpondster
I'm too lazy to look up Tesla's language, but usually these "patent promises" just stipulate that I can use Tesla's patents as long as I agree not to ever sue Tesla for patent infringement. It doesn't mean I have to share my patent rights with everyone else.
Tesla's patent pledge has a "poison pill":

A party is "acting in good faith" for so long as such party and its related or affiliated companies have not:

• asserted, helped others assert or had a financial stake in any assertion of (i) any patent or other intellectual property right against Tesla or (ii) any patent right against a third party for its use of technologies relating to electric vehicles or related equipment;
  • challenged, helped others challenge, or had a financial stake in any challenge to any Tesla patent; or
  • marketed or sold any knock-off product (e.g., a product created by imitating or copying the design or appearance of a Tesla product or which suggests an association with or endorsement by Tesla) or provided any material assistance to another party doing so.

So yes, it means they have to open their patents to anyone using them for EV purposes.

But that still has nothing to do with allowing others to use the Superchargers. Even if you have license to use their patents you wouldn't have license to use their Superchargers.

The banter over cat aviators is a nice relief.

Cat-Sunglasses.jpg

Pour vous @Krugerrand

Last edited:
yah, there's not a demand problem...

Damn 7k profit? When you consider what they initially paid including sales tax, plus license and title fees, they must be going for a hell of a premium!

Just got back from a week vacay with the fam...no laptop, no TMC, first vacay in 4 years...felt so good to unplug and unwind.....although i did find a way to shake the resort couch's and found enough loose change to purchase 6 additional chairs yesterday :)

Back and rested and ready for whatever next week will bring! Happy 4th y'all!!

You don't have to be sad that you bought at a higher price despite being happy when the prices drop. Of course it's not a good thing that you could potentially have bought in at a lower price, but no one can predict the marked in the short term. Just because you bought at higher prices doesn't mean it's a bad thing to get a discount on new purchases. Personally I'm more than 100% invested in tesla (everything i have is invested + some margin), my net worth is directly linked with tesla's stock performance, and I'm already at a slight loss in total. Despite this I'd gladly see my net worth drop 50% if that means i will be 10% richer in total in a few years. Of course i feel bad for the people who bought last year and has to liquidate now, and the ones with lots of margin at the edge of getting margin called, and the ones with short term call options who are now below strike price, but I'm also very happy for the people who now has the chance to buy at these lower prices, no matter if they also bought in at higher prices or not. Also the people who bought in at the top last year can still expect great returns as long as their planning to hold their shares.

I disagree. Instead of everyone shouting doom and gloom when the marked drops I think it should be very much encouraged to try to cheer people up by trying to make them see the bright side of the situation. I'm not sure why it's frowned upon to try to make the majority of shareholders who's not actually impacted by this (not planning to sell right now) see the positive in this.

I guess this might just be something that is not possible for me to understand on an emotional level. I don't have any negative feelings connected to the downfall in the share price as I'm only seeing my future net worth increase as share price goes down. Seems to me that this is way less normal than i thought.
I don't mind what you write. Because people who chortle while I'm down several million $ get put on ignore. Unless of course they have something insightful to say, but this seems to simply be chortling, along with long explanations of why everybody should be ecstatic because you are.

I have a SNEEKY suspicion where some (most?) of the additional shareholder proposals are coming from with Tesla's shareholder votes:

Look at their SEC filings, and they are rife with this stuff for a lot of companies:

And the only exec listed on their board has a deep DEEP history with both US and EU unions:

I now understand fully why Elon wants his own group of pitbull lawyers to counter stuff like this . . .

Except this was today's price at last year's order timing. i.e. no markup over a new order.
There were a few Plaid S listed as available in the past week also.
Yeah, got that but I wonder about the precedent it sets. So if for some reason you can't finish the transaction when scheduled, Tesla has the right to sell the vehicle you ordered straight away to someone willing to pay the price currently listed and you go back in line? I suspect there's more to the story.

Then again, just heard on the news that Delta was paying $10,000 to give up their seat in an oversold flight. I'd take it in a heartbeat, go to the Hertz counter, and rent a Tesla to drive to their destination (or home) and have a helluva nice little vacation!

Yeah, got that but I wonder about the precedent it sets. So if for some reason you can't finish the transaction when scheduled, Tesla has the right to sell the vehicle you ordered straight away to someone willing to pay the price currently listed and you go back in line? I suspect there's more to the story.

Then again, just heard on the news that Delta was paying $10,000 to give up their seat in an oversold flight. I'd take it in a heartbeat, go to the Hertz counter, and rent a Tesla to drive to their destination (or home) and have a helluva nice little vacation!
Car dealers also doesn't hold a car forever if you can't pay for it.

Car dealers also doesn't hold a car forever if you can't pay for it.
True, but a day is a lot different than forever and Tesla isn't a dealer. Now if they had given up their order (and that vehicle) that's different, it would go back in inventory; however, does that now mean if a person is willing to pay today's prices they can buy one off the lot? A bit of a conundrum there, that's why I think there's more to the story.