Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I focus on the author of articles and not the domain. Domains are hit and miss with much more dynamic range and dips into the FUD.

IMHO, authors only get two chances dipping into FUD and then they've crossed the line to clickbait paid by bad actors.
Agree about the author and appreciate the post, honestly. But, while Dan seems to be getting it, he has more confidence in the domain- the “street”s abilities / motives than I do…

Yes, poor wording on my part. I realize the car did not stop. It would have been nice if they kept going...

Anyway, I am sure one of the expert you tubers will get a car soon and get more definite results.
I’m confused though. Are the 4680 equipped Y’s not able to exceed 300 miles? Will there be a long range model coming that co Pete’s with the 2170 long range AWD out of Freemont? I would be interested In upgrading in a couple years, but not to a shorter range car. I’m not sure I understand the game plan. As the migration to 4680 continues will ranges get shorter?

For Tesla's US sales to be up YoY while every other automaker to has had a steep drop in US sales alone says a lot. But when we look at both record JN production numbers, combined with the fact that the Q-Q drop can be attributed to a specific indecent outside of the company's control just makes the future look brighter.

Are you saying that production line employees believed the indecent proposal allegations against Elon and that impacted production line efficiency? o_O

My thoughts exactly. Maybe they’re rolling this out early.

View attachment 824344
I consider that site FUD, it claims to be official but it isn't. That feature has not been released to any public cars. And may not ever be.

They often report features that haven't been released. Usually based on Green's hacking in to the firmware, which isn't always accurate.

Last edited:
I’m confused though. Are the 4680 equipped Y’s not able to exceed 300 miles? Will there be a long range model coming that co Pete’s with the 2170 long range AWD out of Freemont? I would be interested In upgrading in a couple years, but not to a shorter range car. I’m not sure I understand the game plan. As the migration to 4680 continues will ranges get shorter?
It’s not clear.

Ultimately Tesla will be equipping as many cars as possible with 4680 cells, but for the moment there is a surplus of 2170 cells.

Tesla has multiple battery sources and they are bringing more sources online.

CATL, 18650, 2170, 4680, BYD soon. Tesla is going to mix and match these where it makes sense to maximize the number of cars they sell.

Not much of an answer but I think this stuff is going to shift quickly as battery mix changes over time.

I consider that site FUD, it claims to be official but it isn't. That feature has not been released to any public cars. And may not ever be.

They often report features that haven't been released. Usually based on Green's hacking in to the firmware, which isn't always accurate.
Not sure what aspect of occasional inaccuracy you consider to be promulgating fear, uncertainty, or doubt. The typical post here contains, on average, a greater percentage of inaccuracy than appears on that site. For example, your post.

Please explain how the notateslaapp.com site claims to be "official". It obviously isn't Tesla, so what do you even mean?

Reactions: Matias and GOVA
This is very cool. Future connection of all Tesla's via satellite. Its already transportable but a new dish or facsimile may be needed

Not sure what aspect of occasional inaccuracy you consider to be promulgating fear, uncertainty, or doubt. The typical post here contains, on average, a greater percentage of inaccuracy than appears on that site. For example, your post.

Nothing in my post is inaccurate. I said I consider it FUD, which I do. The sites claims to be official, it isn't. It claims the feature is in the release, it isn't... (At least to the general public it isn't which they have added conditions to since they originally reported the feature.)

It causes uncertainty and doubt in vehicle owners. They get an update that that sites lists contains a feature, that it doesn't actually contain, and they are uncertain why their vehicle doesn't have it, and have doubt about if it installed correctly or there is something wrong with their vehicle. People have even opened service requests with Tesla because they didn't get a feature that the "official" release notes said they should. So it ends up wasting Tesla's time and money.

Please explain how the notateslaapp.com site claims to be "official". It obviously isn't Tesla, so what do you even mean?
Look at the page title for the release notes on the site: 2022.20 Official Tesla Release Notes - Software Updates

Notice it says "2022.20 Official Tesla Release Notes"? How is that not the site claiming to be "official"?

They do tend to get more accurate over time as they add conditions, like "Only For Specific Hardware" on the regen note. But they usually start out without any conditions so that everyone thinks they will get everything.

Last edited:
Amazing that Tesla can deliver $2.4B in Non-GAAP earnings despite the Shanghai shutdown, the ramping of 2 new sites and with Bitcoin and Severance charges.

I am estimating:
  • GAAP EPS at $1,67 ($1.99 excluding Bitcoin charge)
  • Non-GAAP EPS at $2.01 (2.34 excluding Bitcoin charge)

My Q2 Forecast Here: Q2 2022
My Full Year Forecast Here: Full Year Forecast

I'm surprised non-GAAP EPS doesn't automatically exclude the Bitcoin charge. Traditionally, non-GAAP accounting is used specifically to ignore 'expenses' that are more of an accounting or tax oddity than a real and practical impact to earnings in order that real trends that matter won't be distorted by 'noise'. I could look it up, but I trust you are familiar with how Tesla has been treating Bitcoin with their non-GAAP accounting so can you comment on why it might be treated this way? Sorry if I've missed a previous comment on this subject.

I could look it up, but I trust you are familiar with how Tesla has been treating Bitcoin with their non-GAAP accounting so can you comment on why it might be treated this way?
This talks about asset impairment which I assume is the same thing as currency impairment, but I'm definitely not an accountant.

Here's the relevant wording:

"Technology companies are among the most frequent abusers of non-GAAP EPS because they use a significant amount of stock compensation and have large asset impairments and R&D costs."

It’s not clear.

Ultimately Tesla will be equipping as many cars as possible with 4680 cells, but for the moment there is a surplus of 2170 cells.

Tesla has multiple battery sources and they are bringing more sources online.

CATL, 18650, 2170, 4680, BYD soon. Tesla is going to mix and match these where it makes sense to maximize the number of cars they sell.

Not much of an answer but I think this stuff is going to shift quickly as battery mix changes over time.

I expect Tesla will release a 400 mile EPA range Model Y with a 4680 pack within the next three years. And it won't be significantly heavier than the current LR MY.

This is very cool. Future connection of all Tesla's via satellite. Its already transportable but a new dish or facsimile may be needed

That Part of this article is pure speculation. The moving Part is mainly for boats & airplanes with RVs having The ability to freely relocate.
The last official word on this getting into their cars by Elon during an earnings call was 'nope, makes no sense'.
If anything Tesla related comes of this, it would be supercharger WiFi backed by starlink.
The best use case for starlink would be to to combine it with a bunch of solar panels, a battery & a celular base Station to place it in no-mans-land to close connection gab's. But that would still be severly bandwith constrained.

Last edited:
No one knows outside Tesla for sure.

Some of the speculation I know.

-The 4680 cars are currently software range limited and the extra range will be unlocked at some point when they are more confident with the cells.
-It's the first iteration of the 4680 and they will improve the energy density over time.
-It's the nickel and manganese version of the 4680 cell which was design to have lower energy density at assumed lower cost per the battery day slides.

There's probably a few I missed.

Pretty sure it will improve. Also good to keep in mind the 4680 was really about cost, efficiency and super high volume.

The current 4860 Ys could be considered (Le)MR edition. Making as many cars as they can with limited cell supply.

The 4680 pack shown during the Giga Austin opening wasn't fully filled up, with space for 2 rows of cells on either side of the pack filled with foam/plastic fillers. So unless these are needed for crash safety, there is room for significant range increases.
That's on top of the defensive handling of the currently delivered new 4680 packs, which could have some potential locked away for evaluation/safety reasons...

Last edited:
i just spent 40 minutes on the comment section there and I must say, very civilized … no shouting, just factual conversation. is user „rocwurstt“ one of us? Big heads up to him/her , doing a great job with comparisons … great read

Agree comment section is interesting, well worth a browse if you have time. Lots of comparisons between loop and undergound, light rail, rail and bus networks. It looks like on most metrics, loop is better (an order of magnitude in the case of cost).

There are a few things that were not mentioned.

1. Loop gives point to point, there is no need to change.

Take the example of London, about 600 square miles so that means there are 180,000 pairs of mile square routes. The London Underground network has about 272 stations with each station connected to about 25 other stations along the line, so about 7,000 pairs. Add in rail, light rail and tram and there are perhaps 15,000 pairs of mile squares that are connected directly, for the rest to go from one mile square to another you must change, perhaps more than once.

Compare that to a hyperthetical Loop network for London. Each square mile would perhaps have 10 loop stations connected by 20,000 miles of tunnels. Point to point would be possible for all of London. Such a system would have a capability for about 20 million passenger journeys per day and a peak of maybe up to 4 million passenger journeys per hour.

2. Using cars that can travel on city streets as well as in tunnels means that door-to-door travel is possible. Not only does this cut down journey times, but makes it easier for many types of disabled users and parent with small children to use public transport. Some people (mainly elderly) are put off using public transport because of percieved risks of being attacked, particularly at night, not only on public transport but also on the walk to the station.

3. Compared to subways or even ground level streets it is much easier, quicker and cheaper to alter the network as usage changes, adding in stations and tunnels.

Interesting. The "street" seems to often ignore reality. They zig instead of zag. They push FUD nonstop. Yet I'm supposed to believe they are "laser focused" on anything based in reality with Tesla? Maybe they are hoping June might have shown a hint of their FUD so they can proclaim it from the mountain tops? Pass. No, I'm not grumpy at all... ;)
When was the last time Wall Street ever interpreted a “glass half full” event with Tesla? A single time?