Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody calculated out the margin hit the strengthening dollar may have? The yuan lost about 5% vs the dollar and Euro was about the same. Now the margins are likely under some pressure anyway with the shortened production and the closed loop... but even if the margins were the same in yuan, they'll be worth less when converted to USD. Do we have an idea of where that stands for Q2?

I strongly suspect there is a demographic correlation I’ll not expound upon, but in _xxx__ decades of driving, a time period that fully encompasses the rise of the Convenience Store fueling station, I never - not once - in many hundreds of thousands of miles of driving, have purchased anything at any one of them other than gasoline or diesel. Not even antifreeze, oil, wiper or blinker fluid.

I used to do exactly that until I had to feed my young 5 kids running around everywhere at supercharger stations. I go inside and buy them slurpees slushes so they calm down for 1 minute while they brain freeze themselves out. Unless you are a millenial from 1981-1999 we might not be the same generation, but I used to have the same approach when road tripping in my ICE Corolla.

Has anybody calculated out the margin hit the strengthening dollar may have? The yuan lost about 5% vs the dollar and Euro was about the same. Now the margins are likely under some pressure anyway with the shortened production and the closed loop... but even if the margins were the same in yuan, they'll be worth less when converted to USD. Do we have an idea of where that stands for Q2?

Exchange rates work in Tesla's favor as well in that input costs could be lower. So it's ... complicated.

I used to do exactly that until I had to feed my young 5 kids running around everywhere at supercharger stations. I go inside and buy them slurpees slushes so they calm down for 1 minute while they brain freeze themselves out. Unless you are a millenial from 1981-1999 we might not be the same generation, but I used to have the same approach when road tripping in my ICE Corolla.

I was wondering where the elitists here were getting their slurpies and scratch tickets- if not at convenience stores, haha.

Exchange rates work in Tesla's favor as well in that input costs could be lower. So it's ... complicated.

Tesla China's profits stay in China, I believe. And China is likely not importing much from the US, so that seems like minimal impact. Though yeah, net profit converted to dollars would be less (for now).

US imports parts from China and Berlin get parts from China also, so those can impact costs. If Euro and Yen stayed at parity, but dollar gained, that could an overall improvement.

Forward Observing

Hello, my name is Bruce, I am officially fossil fuel clean by two days. Installed sixty solar panels and passed inspection three weeks ago. Just waiting impatiently for PSEcon to get of its fossil fuel butt and install our netmeter. Four 2.0 Powerwalls maybe by November, just in time for power outages. Two days ago released our last ever fossil fuel Tacoma; just not in Tacoma (live near Tacoma, WA).

FYI ~ PSEcon gets officially free any electricity we produce beyond our consumption.

FYI ~ Toyota has big yellow sign in showroom touting more Electrification than any other car manufacturer. You know, hybrid, plug-in hybrid, fuel cell electric, battery electric, and all electric; alternative fuels maybe. Meanwhile their parking lot acreage that used to display tons of vehicles for sale is growing weeds by the bushel load. Literally all but one sales desk was empty.

FYI ~ A friend wanting an all electric vehicle was totally blown off by any and all dealerships starting with the name Toyota all the way down the I5 corridor into Oregon. Nothing available for a year. And, you need to be standing there in person with cash if something comes into town. They put an order in on a Bolt ~ at least electric.

Waiting for the iWind ~ Tesla surge to get us out of this funk. I feel a breeze, yes?

Just observations in the wild.

Cheers

just had wrist surgery so i'll be driving our Model X. i love doors opening as i approach our X and just hitting close all doors with my finger on the screen is awesome. i may change the driver mode to injury mode for convenience. wow am i grateful. typing with one finger works but errors happen

Dont Forget to share XRays.
Not ok just to tease us.
;) just kidding

Tomorrow leaving for another 800 miles road trip to work 2 weeks in the Maritime provinces. My 9 years old son spent a good 30 minutes to enter all the trop info and calculate the time between the supercharger stops.

I don’t remember being so eager to leave for a road trip when I was young traveling in a dodge caravan never knowing when we were going to stop. The kids have been talking about the road trip non stop for the last 2 weeks.

Next year I will serve then a road trip across USA. They don’t know what’s coming. The 800 miles we are about to make will seem like a trip back and forth to the convenience store.

Happy that TSLa finished green, tech sector starting to show sign of life, AAPL holding tech with a breakout. This will be a nice summer.

Tesla density

For some time, while on my daily cycling ride I have been counting the number of Tesla products out on our area's city streets, and the increasing numbers have been quite gratifying. But lately I noticed an out of proportion increase, and in particular mostly with lots of white Model Ys.

Thought they were all over the place.

But now I've got it figured out.

Which one of you guys is just running 'round and 'round the block just to throw off my statistical analysis?

Was this officially stated somewhere? The article says that Biden made an announcement that the Supercharger network would be opening up to other brands soon, but did he really? I know Elon discussed it, but never heard anything more than that, from an official source.

It's been posted here a few times.

Dont Forget to share XRays.
Not ok just to tease us.
;) just kidding

Tomorrow leaving for another 800 miles road trip to work 2 weeks in the Maritime provinces. My 9 years old son spent a good 30 minutes to enter all the trop info and calculate the time between the supercharger stops.

I don’t remember being so eager to leave for a road trip when I was young traveling in a dodge caravan never knowing when we were going to stop. The kids have been talking about the road trip non stop for the last 2 weeks.

Next year I will serve then a road trip across USA. They don’t know what’s coming. The 800 miles we are about to make will seem like a trip back and forth to the convenience store.

Happy that TSLa finished green, tech sector starting to show sign of life, AAPL holding tech with a breakout. This will be a nice summer.

i got a titanium plate for a broken distal radial, Wolverine🙀
travel in our Teslas is making life fun. we want to do a USA trip next year maybe in cybertruck.
what a great day until the nerve block wears off but i follow docs instructions
hope you have great time

Tesla density

For some time, while on my daily cycling ride I have been counting the number of Tesla products out on our area's city streets, and the increasing numbers have been quite gratifying. But lately I noticed an out of proportion increase, and in particular mostly with lots of white Model Ys.

Which one of you guys is just running 'round and 'round the block just to throw off my statistical analysis?
Me. I have one of those, and I experience the same phenomena here .

Tesla density

Fear not, Citizen: that is just the invading army quietly moving into position. With all the Sturm und Drang of the fossil fuel war and recession talk, you are one of the few who noticed it. Congratulations! Take heart in their swarming numbers. The revolution will not be televised...it will be Supercharged. 😎

Lots of Tesla's suppliers are also paid in Yuan, so it's not a pure loss on the exchange. Tesla made the business decision years ago NOT to hedge currencies. The most likely reason is its a waste of money and effort to try to keep up. As long as Tesla is expanding to all the major markets on each continent, most of their transactions will be in local currency. Remember the mission? Hedging currency doesn't accelerate it.

Lots of Tesla's suppliers are also paid in Yuan, so it's not a pure loss on the exchange. Tesla made the business decision years ago NOT to hedge currencies. The most likely reason is its a waste of money and effort to try to keep up. As long as Tesla is expanding to all the major markets on each continent, most of their transactions will be in local currency. Remember the mission? Hedging currency doesn't accelerate it.
Companies don’t hedge for no reason - it’s not a waste of money 50% of the time. Most would argue a better use of spare cash than speculating in Bitcoin that’s for sure.