Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all Tesla's looking the same, what's going to be the collectors? Orange Glass Roof on the older 3s?
Sorry…not for sale.
1658345029221.jpeg

99% sure it's not Tesla. Most likely Nikola or Lordstown while Potus will say how they led.

Honestly no existing Tesla would make any sense for the post office... (and making a specialty vehicle for just that contract doesn't make much sense for Tesla either).

Typical LLV route is like 20 miles of driving a day, so something with a much smaller battery, less powerful motors, (and accompanying lower price) would be more than fine.

Sorry if already posted....

View attachment 830688

That's a lotta cells.
My wife delivered mail for 20+ years and her right hand drive Saturn wagon was by far the best delivery vehicle she used. She was rural, but for a big chunk of it, she delivered to suburban areas. Model Y would be fantastic for this.

A Cybertruck with a slide out vault insert would as well.

These vans by Oshkosh Defense are ridiculous.

Edit:
Honestly no existing Tesla would make any sense for the post office... (and making a specialty vehicle for just that contract doesn't make much sense for Tesla either).

Typical LLV route is like 20 miles of driving a day, so something with a much smaller battery, less powerful motors, (and accompanying lower price) would be more than fine.

My wife did rural so it’s a different gig. Your point about range is spot on. Teslas are largely over-specced for this.

The electric Transit that Ford announced is likely the idea vehicle. Has an estimated 120 miles of range.

Crazy thing is nothing in this report should surprise any analyst that does the homework. They should know revenue and earnings will be down with Shanghai closure, they should know about BTC, they should know about restructuring hit. We know that they will be/act surprised. We know that we will see headlines like "Tesla earnings plummet QoQ" etc. All this stuff should already be taken into account by anyone worth weight in salt.

MODERATOR:
The FIRST swath of discussion regarding GM, the UAW and D.C. was marginally on topic and was not disciplined.
The SECOND and THIRD such times, Moderators called it in & done.
Now this thread is subjected to a 4th or Nth rehash of the same, now very tiresome, rants.

My understanding is that there is some thing ==>marginally😁<== more topical to discuss.

DONE.😡

• Informative
Reactions: capster and Ogre
In my quest to replace our Model Y, we discovered that any used Tesla was about the same price as new one. 20K miles vs 6 month wait on a new one, and people still choose used, (maybe their older vehicle couldn't wait, or they'd had enough, IDK). But many also went with new - as in my case, and it's still a 2023 delivery.

Consider this $83K price tag and how most people before Tesla only paid $20-30K for a car. So when we talk about auto margins, consider that people are now investing in a vehicle that's about 2-3x ICE pricing. Then when we hear 30% margins, no wonder TSLA has cash to research and grow faster than anyone else.

Feeling more bullish about Q2 ER now. The price hikes were on the high-end stuff in Q2. By comparison, mine wasn't high enough apparently to pull it in unless I went for the Performance version. If that's what happened in Q2, ASP could blow some minds.

View attachment 830630

If you've ever watched Carvana Tesla sales, it's pages of them with sales pending. About 3-5 new come online next day, all taken within hours. I knew someone looking for a Model 3, they weren't even looking at the specs or FSD, they are all just on then off the market that fast. Some of the Performance versions linger, I'm guessing it's the range and family fear of their kids racing it.

Wonder if there would be any cost/loss if you bought a used vehicle today and sold it when your new Y is delivered?

Reactions: SOULPEDL
No idea what the FASB rationale is, but it is mandatory to recognize bitcoin impairments (market price drops below cost), but gains go unrecognized unless bitcoin is sold. Why movements in either direction are not treated the same is dubious.

They're treated as indefinite-lived intangible assets, which is why they're subject to impairment checks if they drop below carry cost same as other such assets.

Tesla could probably deliver a custom vehicle cheaper than anyone else but the amount of profit would not move the needle at Tesla.