Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the new FUD being pushed is that free cash flow is actually negative but the BTC sale "cooked the books".
Well cash went up $902M, BTC sales was $936M, and they paid off $402M of debt... So no way do you look at it was cash flow negative.

And wasn't BTC included in the cash, or equivalents, already?

Instant torque on the stock price, just need to keep producing across all Gigas.

Edit: Of course when they do operate fully without any negative events what will the shorts, the bears and the media shills have to gripe about?
Aggressive accounting. Demand problems. Elon is unstable. It can't last.

EDIT to add: Its an investment company for speculating on Bitcoin.

Last edited:
Looks like the new FUD being pushed is that free cash flow is actually negative but the BTC sale "cooked the books".

Does anyone remember around when they bought? I want to say it was 24-27k or so based on our guesses.
Wouldnt the BTC sale on the books just be a movement from one account to another. I saw someone else saying that Revenue number was only because of BTC sale. BTC sale wouldnt be revenue.

Does anyone remember around when they bought? I want to say it was 24-27k or so based on our guesses.
That is an easily debunked BS, as they sold right at the last accounted impairment value (as per Rob Mauer's calculation in his live stream minutes ago), which means its accounting effect is exactly ZERO!
They actually lost money on it, since they sold lower than they bought, but the loss was already accounted in previous quarters as per GAAP impairment rule.

Well cash went up $902M, BTC sales was $936M, and they paid off $402M of debt... So no way do you look at it was cash flow negative.

And wasn't BTC included in the cash, or equivalents, already?
BTC was an asset, turned into cash when sold.
Without BTC, cash flow would be $-34M.
Except it wouldn't, because advanced debt repayment is optional, as was the $90M purchase of marketable securities.

It is entirely likely that Tesla selling bitcoin is a big part of WHY bitcoin bottomed out.

And conversely, why it is recovering now. Big sellers move markets.

According to this:

BTC daily volume (with BTC still only at about 23k per coin) has a daily volume of over 42 billion with a b dollars in 24 hours.

So I’m dubious Tesla selling 936 million dollars worth cratered the price >50%

I can't believe the relative neutrality of the SP at the moment. One of the most boring AH sessions so far. This ER was incredible for those in the know. As soon as I saw the EPS, I immediately was trying to think of who was the closest within the community and it was close.

Once again, this site feels like the cheat sheet to life. Just sit here, read and parse and you'll be ahead of game, every time.

was Troy spot on with EPS of $2.18/sh or am i reading it wrong? ... wow
I'm not seeing 2.18 EPS in the report but Troy missed wildly on the Gross Margins and thus something else or multiple something elses to get the EPS on target if 2.18 is in play somehow.

see View attachment 830314
This would stun the automotive world and even the most bullish on Wall Street.
Gross Margins increasing from 30% in Q1 to 31.1% in Q2 despite the ramp up of two new factories and the prolonged shutdown at Tesla's most cost efficient factory.

. . . .and you know what? . . .this is possible.

I can see from the numbers that @Troy has estimated a huge increase in Average Selling Price and it is my belief that Troy has better data on ASP than most forecasters. Not getting my hopes too high but there's a possibility for a gross margin increase.

EDIT: @Gigapress has been anticipating a huge spike in ASP . . .perhaps this is the quarter !!

View attachment 830314