Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be fair, I would have a hard time trusting myself or any other human to make this left turn as well. If it were me driving, I would definitely make a right and a U-turn instead. If I was in a friend's or acquaitance's car (not taxi/uber) and they took this left turn, I'd actually ask them why they didn't just make a right and a U-turn instead to save themselves the hassle/headache of dealing with trying to make a left there.

With your forum name, I didn't expect anything different.
However, it makes me wonder what for example @insaneoctane would do. :rolleyes:
But pretty sure what @The Accountant will do: make an extremely well calculated decision.

Man, the wait for Q3 earnings is going to be excruciating.

Obviously, this is based on IF Shanghai has no shutdowns in Q3, but the gap between Tesla and everyone else is going to be so dramatic from an earnings standpoint starting in Q3 that it will be hilarious watching Tesla bears and legacy auto bulls try to explain what's going on.
I was going to say "don't wake up StarFoxisDown." Too late!😎

Imagine a factory line where there needs to be 50 bodies with arms doing something. If you can go to 25 bots and 25 humans interleaved you've doubled the distance between workers.

OK they aren't evenly spaced down the line. You have 3 people leaning into or standing inside the body at once now. Switch that to 2 bots and 1 human and you have no close interaction for biological viruses.

Let the human supervise the bots, give every human one or two bots to manage and you can space the humans out and still get more work done (assuming the bots can work as well as a human).

Even if you have to start with one bot per human that prevents Repetitive Strain Injuries (RSI). Later when you don't need to monitor the bots so closely you can increase the ratio and get the distancing of humans you want.

I'm sure there will be rough spots but I like the concept.

Elon has also talked at length about Teslabot being for work that is too boring, or too dangerous for humans to do.

A case in point: Confined-space entry to clean the insides of the cathode hopper. At Giga Factory 1, Panasonic has to shut down the line for an extended period. Employees have to suit up with full chemical protective suits and Scott Air packs. Then they go in and laboriously clean the vessel by hand. I hear the whole project takes a week.

Imagine instead a suitably-trained AI Teslabot. It enters the vessel wearing no special breathing equipment, w. no time-limit or environmental contraints. It then uses a hand-held laser cleaning wand w. vacuum waste-extraction and Viola! Job done quickly and efficiently, no humans placed at risk: Hopper is clean, and ready to go back into production quickly.

Literally hundreds of individual tasks like this could be done by Teslabot in the future. It all adds up to productivity and reduced COGS. I like it (UAW will hate it).

Cheers!

Last edited:
Part of the accelerated drop for TSLA could have something to do with this report just out from Reuters. (although I mainly suspect heavy shorting drove it). Not sure how much of this is new?

Germany to cut electric car subsidies in 2023, sources say

State-funded financial incentives to buy electric cars in Germany will be reduced next year after an agreement within the governing coalition..

The incentives, or premiums, paid to buyers of electric cars will expire completely once an allocated sum of 2.5 billion euros ($2.53 billion) is spent...

Under the plan, first reported in the Handelsblatt newspaper, premiums for purely electric-powered vehicles priced below 40,000 euros ($40,488) will fall from 6,000 euros currently to 4,500 euros at the beginning of next year, and to 3,000 euros over the course of 2023.

The premium available for more expensive cars that run purely on electric power will drop to 3,000 euros at the start of next year from 5,000 euros currently. From mid-2023 this will only be paid out for vehicles valued at up to 45,000 euros, the sources said.

Part of the accelerated drop for TSLA could have something to do with this report just out from Reuters. (although I mainly suspect heavy shorting drove it). Not sure how much of this is new?

State-funded financial incentives to buy electric cars in Germany will be reduced next year after an agreement within the governing coalition..

The incentives, or premiums, paid to buyers of electric cars will expire completely once an allocated sum of 2.5 billion euros ($2.53 billion) is spent...

Under the plan, first reported in the Handelsblatt newspaper, premiums for purely electric-powered vehicles priced below 40,000 euros ($40,488) will fall from 6,000 euros currently to 4,500 euros at the beginning of next year, and to 3,000 euros over the course of 2023.

The premium available for more expensive cars that run purely on electric power will drop to 3,000 euros at the start of next year from 5,000 euros currently. From mid-2023 this will only be paid out for vehicles valued at up to 45,000 euros, the sources said.
It seems there is one hard lesson after another for locating the factory in Germany. I do think margins will be great enough and LFP models will fill the lower price ranges to keep the factory going at full production.

Zero expected impact. The tax credit expiring in the USA didn't harm demand for Tesla (I'm sure it pushed some people out, but more waiting behind them)

There may be a surge in demand for the 2nd half of this year and then some lull in early 2023

Optimus sub-Prime doesn't need to add a single cent to TSLA; all it needs to do is lower COGS at the factories, and keep them pumping out product while everyone else is social distancing.
Tesla needs to show a prototype working in a real world environment. They could hit it out of the park and show more than one working in a Tesla factory.

No union sympathies, not able to impregnate, works 24/7, no COVID/Monkey Pox concerns...literally a home run.

“We are in a very critical moment here,” he said. “It’s easy to cool off the economy when the economy is running hot. It’s much harder to reduce inflation when the economy is close to a recession.”

Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 9.20.31 AM.png

Reactions: Matias
The whole market is falling, Tesla is just moving at a beta. Microsoft is down ~3.5% today. The expectation is being set for Microsoft and Google earnings to be bad, along with a watch on what is driving Visa's.
The trading in TSLA today, especially over the past 30 mins, has nothing do with the whole market. Just look the volume chart and the number of sell orders that came flooding in at 11:48. There was no corresponding move in the overall market or any other stocks. It was TSLA specific

TSLA went from outperforming it's beta to now underperforming it's beta in the matter of 30 mins.

It seems there is one hard lesson after another for locating the factory in Germany. I do think margins will be great enough and LFP models will fill the lower price ranges to keep the factory going at full production.
There are zero subsidies for Tesla buyers in the US, so.......

EV transition is well ahead in Germany, they don't need as much subsidy to build demand. EV is already like 15% of new car sales and PHEV's 11% will quickly move over to BEV.

And they have a $2.83/gallon tax on gasoline which, though it's been trimmed recently, can easily be boosted back up if they feel EVs need any more momentum.

We're very quick to directly subsidize in the US. Why? Tesla's getting nothing and can't possibly meet demand. If anything, we should focus on removing subsidies from oil/gas/nukes.

The trading in TSLA today, especially over the past 30 mins, has nothing do with the whole market. Just look the volume chart and the number of sell orders that came flooding in at 11:48. There was no corresponding move in the overall market or any other stocks. It was TSLA specific

TSLA went from outperforming it's beta to now underperforming it's beta in the matter of 30 mins.
You can check AMC, also fell at the time tsla fell.

Chunk answered the question re: why would he make the left v.s. a right then a U at the intersection. He has lived there for 25 to 30 years and there has been more accidents at intersection than making the left due of speeders running the red. Overall, he feels the left is safer.

But I think that intersection would be an outlier compared to the many unprotected left into a 6-lane road, if that is the case statistically.

Regardless, glad to see the ADAS team working on this and probably many other one-off road layouts for the march of the 9's.
I live just down 95 from Chuck. People are running red lights at an incredible rate. I agree it’s probably safer.

I feel like the fish eye camera out of the front providing 180 degree view is being utilized more than the B pillar camera in this case. I wonder if chuck knows one of the camera out of the front is a fisheye.
1. Distance is only 60 meters
2. Angle is 120 degrees

E55BC3A1-ECF6-455A-946A-0E75091DEF82.jpeg

7B0CB4D8-EAD7-47FA-90EA-B90ED9963B70.jpeg

Attachments

• 4F8DF3E9-1139-4EF1-9210-F4EC1CBDFFC0.jpeg
    4F8DF3E9-1139-4EF1-9210-F4EC1CBDFFC0.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 53
The trading in TSLA today, especially over the past 30 mins, has nothing do with the whole market. Just look the volume chart and the number of sell orders that came flooding in at 11:48.

There are volume spikes on other stocks in the 11:20 to 11:55 range too. Nasdaq had heavy sell volume for a half hour before Tesla had the big orders. There were likely a number of stop losses set at 780, 775, and 770 that were just triggered... each of the big spike coincide with those numbers being pierced.

Last edited: