Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are about 5-10 different threads on reddit and probably dozens of articles online or in the works about this. Tesla will probably do right by the owner but this is going to be a media frenzy for a day or two even if they do.

The story is complicated, a Tesla with a 60 pack went in for warranty repair years ago. It got a 90 pack free because they didn't have any 60s left. At that time or sometime later the car was rebadged as a 90. The car was resold used twice and the 3rd owner took it to Tesla to get a MCU upgrade/replacement recently (after both buying the car as a 90 and using it as a 90 for some time). They software locked the 90 pack back down to 60 saying it was a mistake years ago. Offers to restore the range for $4500.

Much drama ensues.

He should take them to small claims court. Big companies hate that. Then, if he wins, enforce the judgement by seizing a Tesla asset. I’ve seen it done.

So why are they wasting a second of energy on it?
But wait, there's more...
Screenshot_20220727-080556_Firefox.jpg

Last edited:
I am reading the twitter thread and I didn't see how Tesla rebadged the car...as in stuck a 90 on the back and replaced the 60. The person who sold the car most likely put on the 90 badge to get a higher price.
Read back in this thread in about 2016 - 2017. This happened several times and Tesla did rebadge several cars. To put in 90’s they had to change the software to the 90 version, making these cars 90’s.

Reactions: JRP3
Everyone is rightfully entitled to protect their personal information, but I don't think there's anything nefarious with SayTechnologies.
It is a very bad idea to put any personal financial info into a public place. That includes here. Seems to me SAY is a bad idea to be charitable.

Companies change hands, go bankrupt etc. They will be forced to sell anything of value (your data) if they hit bankruptcy court. This may not be the case in all countries but even that can change. YMMV

Nothing to do there. The owner who badgered it to a 90 more or less knew he was fraudulently profiting from the lucky 90 pack.

A close analogy would be like old AMD Athlon cpus. You could unlock them simply by using a pencil. It was fun and cool as hell to mod your cpu that way. However once you cross that line and advertise it as a cpu it was not, that crosses a legal line.
Agree. Whoever "rebadged" committed fraud, especially if he claimed it as a 90 when he sold it. I don't see where Tesla did anything wrong. Original customer bought a 60, last customer has a 60, no one ever paid to upgrade.

ETA-now if it WAS the Tesla service center that rebadged it to a 90 when they put the bigger pack in (unlikely), then it's on them.

Last edited:
But wait, there's more...
View attachment 833320
There appeared to be three pathways on the Tesla investor relations subscription:
1 - SAY
2 - PLAID, with multiple stockbrokers signed up
3 - state how many shares you own, and upload one stockbrocker acct statement

When I tried it going either the 1 or 2 routes I could not find my stockbroker on the list. I have severe concerns about the behind-the-scenes information disclosure approvals this would require, but it was a moot point as my stockbroker is not on the list. My stockbroker is one of the largest in the UK, possibly the largest. So I tried going the 3 route and I entered the number of shares I have as well as email, a logon password, etc. However my shares are scattered across multiple sub-accounts and my broker does not produce a consolidated account statement, so I could not produce the single statement Tesla are expecting, so I uploaded nothing.

The following day I started receiving the Tesla filings emails (quarterly call, 10Q etc). But at no point did I receive an email from Tesla saying "we've now authenticated you". And there doesn't seem to be a good way to ask Tesla.

So at the moment I've no idea whether this thing works or not.

Agree. Whoever "rebadged" committed fraud, especially if he claimed it as a 90 when he sold it. I don't see where Tesla did anything wrong.

Tesla is the one that made it a 90 to start with.

They replaced the 60 battery, under warranty, with a 90 battery and set the config to be a 90

Otherwise it wouldn't have had 90 range. That requires Tesla to do it. Tesla COULD HAVE software locked it to 60 anyway- but did not.

And as mentioned there were many reports back when this was happening that Tesla also would rebadge the car to say 90 externally too.

Now, THAT isn't wrong- in fact it's awesome- Tesla didn't have stock on an old warranty part, so they gave the customer a free upgrade. He now owned a 90- per Tesla.

The problem came years later when that information wasn't properly annotated internally and they did an MCU upgrade and the tech involved- lacking the original info- changed the config back to 60. Despite the car when it came in: having a 90 badge, a 90 battery, and a tesla-installed 90 config file.

Then it was compounded by Tesla being unwilling to look at the history of what actually happened and telling the customer it'd be $4500 cash to get back what he originally had.

Until Hughes got enough bad press out there to force them to do so.

It's an unforced, bad-press causing, error by Tesla service.

This is not an isolated incident either.

Teslas habit of changing car configs without proper internal notations, and then "auditing" out those changes some day in the future and refusing to consider they made a mistake somewhere, has been an ongoing problem (most often in cars Tesla sends to auction and removes FSD on the back end- but doesn't immediately update the car) that has made splashy headlines many times.

As the fleet gets larger, and esp. the used changed-hands-more-than-once fleet, you'll only see more of such.

This stuff is easy to fix with decent internal IT system controls, but Tesla has not made much effort in this direction in years.
(and it wouldn't take much of an effort to make these issues impossible)

There appeared to be three pathways on the Tesla investor relations subscription:
1 - SAY
2 - PLAID, with multiple stockbrokers signed up
3 - state how many shares you own, and upload one stockbrocker acct statement

When I tried it going either the 1 or 2 routes I could not find my stockbroker on the list. I have severe concerns about the behind-the-scenes information disclosure approvals this would require, but it was a moot point as my stockbroker is not on the list. My stockbroker is one of the largest in the UK, possibly the largest. So I tried going the 3 route and I entered the number of shares I have as well as email, a logon password, etc. However my shares are scattered across multiple sub-accounts and my broker does not produce a consolidated account statement, so I could not produce the single statement Tesla are expecting, so I uploaded nothing.

The following day I started receiving the Tesla filings emails (quarterly call, 10Q etc). But at no point did I receive an email from Tesla saying "we've now authenticated you". And there doesn't seem to be a good way to ask Tesla.

So at the moment I've no idea whether this thing works or not.

Yep - same here - Say and Plaid are "nice" but knowing how (un) safe web things really are, the less exposure to leaks and malware the better.
So I sent ONE broker statement, and then didn't receive any acknowlegment, BUT also wasn't able to submit additional shares from other brokerage accounts.

Clearly Tesla is doing these things in "Agile" mode, not so great .. but hopefully they'll correct it

As far as "other" to be announced later: I really would like it if it turns out they give us a way to hand over TSLA shares as guarantee for low interest car loans. That way no need to worry about margin calls

Or no need to sell shares - making owning a Tesla = owning TSLA more transparent

MODERATOR: Get all of this 60-90-60 story out on some other location. It does not belong here.

No more.

Yeah - with all that time/ energy spent on this thread re this 60-90-60 blip we could have sent the correction amount to Tesla and closed that case - anyone still interested please open a 60-90-60 GoFundMe

Last edited:
Log onto your account via ir.tesla.com -> subscription preferences (at the bottom). It will say if your verification is complete.
SmartSelect_20220727-085345_Firefox.jpg

Uh, yeah, mine does not say that.

I don't think they are legally allowed to limit information flow!
There is no information gating. It's just been just e-mail notifications regarding already published documents (10-Q and such).

Down the road, there may be shareholder only, non material information things, like events or, dare I say it, Musk spin off IPO opportunities.

Log onto your account via ir.tesla.com -> subscription preferences (at the bottom). It will say if your verification is complete.
View attachment 833322
On the application I provided the total number of shares owned. (total across accounts with two brokerages) Following the above referenced path indicated the application was received, but no verification.

It seems logical that they already have validated shareholder status after putting my hat in the ring to attend the meeting at GigaTexas required sending proof. However, this proof was a copy of the email notification for the Annual Meeting Vote from one of the two brokerage accounts held.

Add to this how I have separate billing and mailing/shipping addresses to further confuse things and it may be unlikely they will ever validate my account. (brokerages use billing address, Tesla account uses shipping address so I could receive orders from the store)

Seems like there should be an easier way to accomplish this validation with a one-time code generated by the brokerage or something like that. (copy of shareholder vote notification email?) Rather than having to disclose information that could potentially lead to problems for the account holder if the data were to fall into the hands of nefarious actors seeking to pirate the brokerage account.

Wrong. Every day we see FUD about Tesla and Elon. We know that the media lies. But when it comes to climate change some people believe everything they read: even the most ridiculous stories. The studies are hidden behind pay walls and the data is massaged and kept secret. When asked to debate findings the "scientists" always refuse. Gee, I wonder why? The models have been so bad they can be safely ignored. The polar ice cap is still there and the polar bears are fine. Given the pressure that climate scientists are under to conform to the narrative I don't see why anyone would believe anything they say. But, if you want to call me a moron that's fine, I've been called worse.

The climate change industry wants to spend tens of Trillions of dollars on their projects. Doesn't it make sense to do a cost benefit analysis on those plans first? The anti-nuke crowd is the same. They destroyed a great industry that was good for the planet and humans ... all based on FUD.
Gross. Ignore.

On the application I provided the total number of shares owned. (total across accounts with two brokerages) Following the above referenced path indicated the application was received, but no verification.

It seems logical that they already have validated shareholder status after putting my hat in the ring to attend the meeting at GigaTexas required sending proof. However, this proof was a copy of the email notification for the Annual Meeting Vote from one of the two brokerage accounts held.

Add to this how I have separate billing and mailing/shipping addresses to further confuse things and it may be unlikely they will ever validate my account. (brokerages use billing address, Tesla account uses shipping address so I could receive orders from the store)

Seems like there should be an easier way to accomplish this validation with a one-time code generated by the brokerage or something like that. (copy of shareholder vote notification email?) Rather than having to disclose information that could potentially lead to problems for the account holder if the data were to fall into the hands of nefarious actors seeking to pirate the brokerage account.

It is a very very very small carrot in front of investors.

Reactions: 2daMoon
IMO a bot should cost a lot less than a car, the battery and motors should be a lot smaller, little glass would be required. A lot less raw materials are needed. The build process should be a lot simpler.
True Dat. But if I order a bot and it arrives with panel gaps, IMO it's game over for Tesla.

The spread between Brent and WTI crude is now nearly $10…

Spreads and changes in currencies are making the energy price picture very different between the US and Europe.

For instance, the average price of WTI was $91.64 in February this year, today it is $96, a ~4.5% increase.

The average price of Brent in Euros was €85.64 in February, today it is €104, an increase of 21%.